Summer Update - 026

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Summer Update - 026

Postby balder » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:04 pm

New one is up, with AWSOM guest artist Onezumi, of Stupid and Insane Defenders Against Chaos.
balder

Re: Summer Update - 026

Postby DevilDan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:13 pm

Parson almost looks happy. He did survive getting what he wished for. So far.

I did think that a two-caster link would be far safer and stabler.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Sieggy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:48 pm

I think Maggie & Sizemore may have a budding romance, or at least a new level of professional cooperation. Now, since Parson seems to be a Hippiemancer, I'm wondering what a link between he and Maggie would yield . . .
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby Lord Kasavin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:54 pm

This erratic update schedule is annoying. Come on, I know if you put your mind to it you can stick to a MWF schedule, or if art is a more occasional thing, dare I say MTWRF?

Anyway, as expected two-way links less dangerous. Also, it seems Maggie is still firmly loyal to her Overlord, going so far as to think of ways to keep him confident. Her outburst against Stanley can even be seen not as "loyalty" to Parson but stating the obvious fact that Parson is a much better warlord than Ansom and would serve his armies better. Plus a little frustration that Stanley really is his own worst enemy.
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby BarGamer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:55 pm

Sieggy wrote:I think Maggie & Sizemore may have a budding romance, or at least a new level of professional cooperation. Now, since Parson seems to be a Hippiemancer, I'm wondering what a link between he and Maggie would yield . . .

Probably, Wide-Spread Panic. :D

Seriously, though. I'd like to see a Sizemore/Maggie/Parson linkup, just so I can see a Bob Marley golem go, "I'm so stoned..." XD
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby QuothTheRaven » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:56 pm

Is it just me, or did this new update cover the main talking points we were discussing in "Summer Update - 025" almost to a tee? I'm curious to know whether the Titans were watching, or whether it had already been decided how this update/mechanic was going to be covered.

Keep up the good work guys, I'm looking forward to when book 2 starts.
QuothTheRaven

Postby sixtem » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:57 pm

First post on the forums, but I'm a long time reader. I've been liking the detail the summer updates can get into concerning the characters and the world.

I'm wondering if the bond from the 3-caster link applies to Wanda, as well. Maybe, despite it, Wanda's personality and new revelation with her arkentool makes her a little difficult to approach or empathize with.
sixtem

Postby Lothmar » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:58 pm

Sieggy wrote:I think Maggie & Sizemore may have a budding romance, or at least a new level of professional cooperation. Now, since Parson seems to be a Hippiemancer, I'm wondering what a link between he and Maggie would yield . . .

...Wow, that made me think of parson as part of a trimancer combo... (I consider the thinkamancer the '+' since they dont do anything but allow for the linking of two seperate schools mentaly)
Croakamancy + Hippymancy = WTF!? I really have to think about this...
Foolamancy + Hippymancy = ...is anyone else having a bad/good trip or is it just me?
Dirtamancy + Hippymancy (We can all see where this is going...)
Lothmar

Postby BarGamer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:19 pm

Lord Kasavin wrote:This erratic update schedule is annoying. Come on, I know if you put your mind to it you can stick to a MWF schedule, or if art is a more occasional thing, dare I say MTWRF?

As a cashier in a grocery store, I am amazed daily how people make so much more of a fuss over something free/cheap than something obscenely expensive. Lord Kasavin, non-Tool, if you want the artists to make this comic their full-time job, how about you put your money where your mouth is? If that's too sensible for you, then just make use of the RSS feed, and wait for updates with the rest of the paying customers. It's not a case of putting their MINDS to it, it's about putting their TIME, MONEY, and HARD WORK as well.
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer

Postby Cadrys » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:22 pm

...Grateful Dead, anyone?

Redundamancymancy? Hippies tend to be pretty dirty to start with...
Cadrys

Postby gameboy1234 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:25 pm

Yeah, good update, and lots of good info. I hadn't thought that Parson was truly concerned that he can't move outside the city, but I guess he is. It'll be interesting to see what the result of their little experiment is.

I'm also really curious where book 2 is going to start. I think Jillian and Transylvito are settled, but GK still is up in the air for me. I still favor a revolt against Stanley, though that may be in no one's (esp. Wanda's) best interest right now.

Oh yes: Sizemore + Maggie <3 4 ever
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Lothmar » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:25 pm

Cadrys wrote:

...Grateful Dead, anyone?

~Facepalm~ Thank you, that was going to keep bugging me. XD
Cadrys wrote:

Redundamancymancy? Hippies tend to be pretty dirty to start with...

Well I was actually going to refer to the growing of certain herbs...
Lothmar

Postby Xorbon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:34 pm

So, the picnic is a test to see if Parson is a 'garrison' unit? I thought he just wanted to go somewhere quiet to talk, away from the city. It would suck (for him) if he was stuck inside the city.

Anyway, thanks for answering virtually all of the forum questions from the last update, Rob!
Xorbon

Postby Ambug666 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:47 pm

Didn't Parson leave the city when he went to the magic realm?
Ambug666

Postby Infidel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:01 pm

BarGamer wrote:
Lord Kasavin wrote:This erratic update schedule is annoying. Come on, I know if you put your mind to it you can stick to a MWF schedule, or if art is a more occasional thing, dare I say MTWRF?

As a cashier in a grocery store, I am amazed daily how people make so much more of a fuss over something free/cheap than something obscenely expensive. Lord Kasavin, non-Tool, if you want the artists to make this comic their full-time job, how about you put your money where your mouth is? If that's too sensible for you, then just make use of the RSS feed, and wait for updates with the rest of the paying customers. It's not a case of putting their MINDS to it, it's about putting their TIME, MONEY, and HARD WORK as well.

Well, that and they both said that during the summer updates they would try to make a buffer of comics, so they could be on schedule better, at least at first. But seriously, complaining about the current updates is looking the gift-horse in the mouth. Comic restarts in September sometime, these are teasers written on the side while they work on the main storyline and initial comics for the upcoming book.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Graydon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:06 pm

Ambug666 wrote:Didn't Parson leave the city when he went to the magic realm?

The mechanism was a magic portal; presumably, this does not involve Move.

It almost can't involve Move; the Magic Kingdom is either very far away or, possibly, like Tir Na Og; you can't get there by non-magical means, it's not really part of Erf as such. Either way, it's much much further than any unit's single-turn Move allowance of the units we've seen.

Stanley thinks Parson is a garrison unit because Stanley cannot see a Move stat for Parson.

Since we don't know if Parson not showing stats is because all or most of Parson's stats are invisible, or if all or most of Parson's stats don't exist, Parson being able to leave the city won't really tell us anything about Parson's status in Erf. Parson not being able to leave the city will tell us a great deal, though; that will strongly imply that everything Parson lacks a stat for he cannot do.

My bet is on Parson having no problem leaving the city. This may get remarked on, because casters can see stats, too, so they have to be wondering.
Graydon

Postby OneHugeTuck » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:06 pm

BarGamer wrote:It's not a case of putting their MINDS to it, it's about putting their TIME, MONEY, and HARD WORK as well.

Ditto to all that.

If I win the 325Million lotto tomorrow night (and I will) I'm going to be a Medici -style patron.

We'll have frequent updates and MMO player online world too:)

Hell, everybody go spend a buck on the lotto.
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby SteveMB » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:11 pm

Graydon wrote:

It almost can't involve Move

No "almost" about it -- we saw a one-shot (i.e. from some other side) caster use a portal during Gobwin Knob's turn.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB

Postby BarGamer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:37 pm

SteveMB wrote:
Graydon wrote:

It almost can't involve Move

No "almost" about it -- we saw a one-shot (i.e. from some other side) caster use a portal during Gobwin Knob's turn.

Ooh, nice catch.

LOL, yeah, I might as well buy a lotto ticket, too. WTH, right?
BarGamer

Postby Spot » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:48 am

QuothTheRaven wrote:Is it just me, or did this new update cover the main talking points we were discussing in "Summer Update - 025" almost to a tee?

Don't be silly. There were no gazelles in this update.

;)
I shamelessly stole my avatar from Cloudbreaker :D
Spot

Next

Return to Reactions