Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 047

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 047

Postby bladestorm » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:42 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:
name lips wrote:But when you look at a unit you see it's name (unless you're Parson, who needs to wear 3d glasses).

http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F040a.jpg

So presumably you would be unable to hide your "real" name from anybody who looks at you.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/IPTSF_Text_27
The fat one pointed at something at the base of a large fir tree. As the wispy one bent to look, his companion tripped him with his staff and he fell on his face into the dirt and pine needles. Both of them started laughing, but the thin one looked up and saw.

"Oh, hey. Wait, man, look," he said, pointing and climbing to his feet.

"Ohhhh, wow," said the other, looking right up at Jillian in her saddle. "Hey, up there! Hey! Friend or foe?"

"Neither," called Jillian, trying to sound disinterested even with her heart pounding behind her armor. "Mercenaries. Just passing through."

The big one looked around, counting the units. "You got a lot of heavies. Who are you?"

"Mercenaries," she said again.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/IPTSF_Text_28
"Welcome to our lands, strangers! We sometimes like to say that a stranger is a friend you haven't met yet!"

Jillian smiled back diplomatically and joked, "Really. Why only sometimes?"

"Oh!" said the warlord, looking momentarily perplexed. "I suppose because it's only true sometimes! Haha!"

Jillian chuckled, and a few of the troops on both sides did as well. A good start.

"I am Lord Christian Sidehug, of Haffaton," said the warlord, bowing slightly. "You may call me Chris, if you like. How may I address you, good Lady Warlord?"

And here is where it would get tricky. He'd be able to tell by looking at her that she was no barbarian. There had to be a treasury behind a force this large. He'd expect her to identify her side.

Also, her "Princess" title was dangerous. Royal sides were generally better known than non-Royals. Faq had hidden itself a thousand or more turns ago. The sides which had once known King Banhammer were far away or long gone. But Haffaton was very large and old, and it might have collected some commanders who still had memories from those distant places and times.

Jillian was used to evading questions about her identity, but never when the stakes were so high. Lying was an option, but it carried its own risks. What she wanted was to get out of here unmolested and anonymous. It was still Haffaton's turn, though; if this warlord thought she represented a threat or even a curiosity worth investigating in force, everything could unravel fast.

"You know, I think that 'Lady Warlord' has a nice ring to it," she said, trying to keep her tone lighthearted. "Why don't you stick with that?"

Chris' smile did not diminish, but turned a bit wry. "Cagey Lady Warlord! Very well. A person should be called what she wishes."

Right, so Banhammer was trying to force his name upon her, but she wanted to be called Zamussels. Ergo, to anyone she introduced hersef to, she was Zamussels.

And, Banhammer could have stated her name a Princess Jillian Banhammer to reinforce to the collective philosophers present that she was his heir, and should be treated and addressed as such, despite her behavior and long absence from court.

So is the Pedobear a separate unit from the Trike? If it gets dismounted, will it continue to attack on foot? And will the Trike itself move on its own, or just crash over to the side? Or maybe dismounting it reduces its move to 0 until it can remount.
bladestorm

Postby Nakedkali » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:13 pm

I'm puzzled by all the debate of Jillian's name. Royal names, styles and titles can seem quite absurd and wonky, if you're not used to them.

Elizabeth II of England could have been called more or less correctly over the course of her life:
Queen of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Duke of Guernsey
Lord of Mann
Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (...then Windsor)
Lilibet
etc.

JIllian could be
Princess Jillian (to the people)
Princess Jillian Banhammer (to the court)
Jillian Zamussels, Princess of FAQ (to another Side, if they had known)
Chief Warlord Jillian Zamussels Banhammer (to a side that denies all royalty)
etc

So she might not have been directly lying, introducing herself only as Jillian Zamussels. She may have been lying by omission.
Now to me, "middle name" is an unerfly stupidworldish concept. "Parson Gotti" is all one name to them, I think.
Nakedkali

Postby 0beron » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:23 pm

^ Agree with the above
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Radagast » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:43 pm

Sixty wrote:Well, I dunno if I would say knocking down the tower was the ORIGINAL plan considering Parson only changed the plan to that upon discovering FAQ's strong air presence, implying the tower rush wasn't the original plan that Jack was referring to (since the odds shot up upon changing the plan).

The ORIGINAL plan was to take the garrison via dance-fight. http://www.erfworld.com/2010/04/book-2- ... dates-020/

Which seems odd now that I think about it since they had relatively few dance-fight-capable units with them. Although Jetstone also had relatively few units in the city. In fact, given the huge air force that turned out to be there, perhaps they should have landed before entering the airspace (where they also would have faced arrows and tower spells) and attacked the city on the ground, using dwagons as siege to break through the walls/gates.
Radagast

Postby bladestorm » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:37 pm

Radagast wrote:
Sixty wrote:Well, I dunno if I would say knocking down the tower was the ORIGINAL plan considering Parson only changed the plan to that upon discovering FAQ's strong air presence, implying the tower rush wasn't the original plan that Jack was referring to (since the odds shot up upon changing the plan).

The ORIGINAL plan was to take the garrison via dance-fight. http://www.erfworld.com/2010/04/book-2- ... dates-020/

Which seems odd now that I think about it since they had relatively few dance-fight-capable units with them. Although Jetstone also had relatively few units in the city. In fact, given the huge air force that turned out to be there, perhaps they should have landed before entering the airspace (where they also would have faced arrows and tower spells) and attacked the city on the ground, using dwagons as siege to break through the walls/gates.

Decrypted don't count as Uncroaked for purposes of being able to dance-fight when lead by a master-class croakamancer? There may actually be a difference as far as that mechanic goes, but if they count, they had PLENTY of dance-fight capable units. Plus, they could use the Archons for DDR-fighting. Ansom already knows how to activate that option.
bladestorm

Postby Lamech » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:48 am

Radagast wrote:

The knights can dance fight. So barring a handful of warlords and Jack (maybe) everyone dance fighting is an option. Also the decrypted can probably dance fight too.
Lamech

Postby Oberon » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:02 am

bladestorm wrote:Plus, they could use the Archons for DDR-fighting. Ansom already knows how to activate that option.
Please no, there's been quite enough of that abomination. Thank god most/all of the GK archons are dead or captured.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby doran » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:15 am

Oberon wrote:
bladestorm wrote:Plus, they could use the Archons for DDR-fighting. Ansom already knows how to activate that option.
Please no, there's been quite enough of that abomination. Thank god most/all of the GK archons are dead or captured.

Speaking of dance fighting, I wonder if the DDR could be explained by Charlie remote linking up a Weirdomancer to a thinkamancer archon, with other archon's giving bonuses to the spell via foolamancer. Interestingly that gives Charlie a massive advantage if true, since he can give any position with an archon in it full powers of any caster, without risking or having to transport that caster.
MarbitChow wrote: Don't you get it yet? WE ARE THE MAGIC KINGDOM.
We're the people sitting around discussing our pet theories based on nomenclature, citing references, discussing ad nauseum while Parson finds out how it works.
doran
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:29 am

doran wrote:Speaking of dance fighting, I wonder if the DDR could be explained by Charlie remote linking up a Weirdomancer to a thinkamancer archon, with other archon's giving bonuses to the spell via foolamancer.

Firstly, the DDR trick was explained to us when Parson interviewed the Decrypted Archons. The force in tBfGK was lucky enough to have 4 Archons with all three Foolamancy, Leadership and Dance Fighting specials, so they were able to pull the DDR trick. So while it was probably Charlie's idea, he didn't need to personally be involved.
Second is the fact we all but know that Archons can't perform links. If they could, then they would far more often.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Salem » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:52 am

0beron wrote:
doran wrote:Speaking of dance fighting, I wonder if the DDR could be explained by Charlie remote linking up a Weirdomancer to a thinkamancer archon, with other archon's giving bonuses to the spell via foolamancer.

Firstly, the DDR trick was explained to us when Parson interviewed the Decrypted Archons. The force in tBfGK was lucky enough to have 4 Archons with all three Foolamancy, Leadership and Dance Fighting specials, so they were able to pull the DDR trick. So while it was probably Charlie's idea, he didn't need to personally be involved.
Second is the fact we all but know that Archons can't perform links. If they could, then they would far more often.

Depending on the odds of losing the casters. Though desperate sides and desperate measures.
"Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)!"
Salem
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:58 am

Salem wrote:Depending on the odds of losing the [archons?]. Though desperate sides and desperate measures.

A linked Archon wouldn't be in any more danger than normal, assuming it's just a duo-link. In fact, they'd be stronger. Since Archons are usually deployed in threes, having one each of Foolamancy, Thinkamancy, and Shockamancy, then it would make sense for the Think/Shock to link in combat, and for the Think/Fool to link for scouting and hiding.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Salem » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:02 pm

0beron wrote:
Salem wrote:Depending on the odds of losing the [archons?]. Though desperate sides and desperate measures.

A linked Archon wouldn't be in any more danger than normal, assuming it's just a duo-link. In fact, they'd be stronger. Since Archons are usually deployed in threes, having one each of Foolamancy, Thinkamancy, and Shockamancy, then it would make sense for the Think/Shock to link in combat, and for the Think/Fool to link for scouting and hiding.

I was always under the impression that all linking was dangerous but higher level thinkamancers/more thinkamancers made breaking the link safer. Granted the fact that more make it safer (Which I believe was mentioned when parson and the linked casters entered the magic kingdom) strengthens an argument for them not being able to. Send out tri linked archons in the field then when they get back 50 low level thinkchons split them safely. Granted not sure how linked casters would work in the field they do seem pretty out of it. But if it was possible Charlie would be doing linked spells left and right. Granted he might be able to and does he just keeps it a secret. Maybe he can see the entire world via a handful of linkedchons. I doubt it.
Salem

Postby 0beron » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:10 pm

It was explicitly stated that duo-links are significantly less risky, especially if done voluntarily and the casters involved are familiar with one another. They can also be freely broken without the same risk of harm. So given the sorority-like nature of the archons, I expect that if they were capable of it, duo-links would be a breeze for them.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby bladestorm » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:41 pm

0beron wrote:

Shelling out for a full-service, non-return trio of Archons that could facilitate a trimancer link instead of risking your own casters? No-brainer there. GK could have the eyetable, and three other trimancer links all running at the same time if that were the case.
bladestorm

Postby Morni » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:43 pm

0beron wrote:It was explicitly stated that duo-links are significantly less risky, especially if done voluntarily and the casters involved are familiar with one another. They can also be freely broken without the same risk of harm. So given the sorority-like nature of the archons, I expect that if they were capable of it, duo-links would be a breeze for them.

and here's the update with the info

http://www.erfworld.com/summer-update-2 ... Parson.jpg

According to Maggie, a two-caster linkup was a less risky and drastic thing than three, especially when done voluntarily. In it, the Thinkamancer's function was something like "cognitive copilot," managing the other caster's mental functions, focusing his attention and boosting his energy to achieve better results than the caster could alone.
Morni

Postby Morni » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:47 pm

bladestorm wrote:
0beron wrote:

Shelling out for a full-service, non-return trio of Archons that could facilitate a trimancer link instead of risking your own casters? No-brainer there. GK could have the eyetable, and three other trimancer links all running at the same time if that were the case.

Archon are not casters..

http://www.erfworld.com/summer-update-2 ... ration.png

What was an Archon, really? A flying knight-class unit with a random special from the set of: dance fighting, leadership, and limited forms of Shockmancy, Thinkamancy, Dollamancy and Foolamancy. As Archons leveled, they could gain additional random specials from that set. There were four of them with the dance fighting, leadership and Foolamancy abilities at the Battle for Gobwin Knob, and these were able to lead the Coalition's dance fight. Charlescomm did not volunteer this strategy, but Ansom knew to ask.

and Charlies has no caster

Did Charlie have casters? None, as units of Charlescomm. He would frequently hire casters from the Magic Kingdom for specific work. He had an excellent reputation as an employer there.
Morni

Postby 0beron » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:51 pm

Thanks Morni, those where indeed the references I had in mind, thanks for outlining it clearly.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Morni » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:57 pm

[Zero]beron, no problem. was bored... can't wait for today's update to come :)
Morni

Postby Salem » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:26 pm

0beron wrote:It was explicitly stated that duo-links are significantly less risky, especially if done voluntarily and the casters involved are familiar with one another. They can also be freely broken without the same risk of harm. So given the sorority-like nature of the archons, I expect that if they were capable of it, duo-links would be a breeze for them.

Oh I know they're far less risky, I just meant if someone with worse odds than the average less risky would lead to somewhat risky, still a gamble.
Salem

Postby Thoke » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:30 pm

Site News wrote:
This is really painful to say, but Xin is having serious trouble getting pages done on time. Among other things, this week is the one year anniversary of her mom's passing. She's struggling pretty badly.

So today's update will be delayed until Thursday, October 25 (with an outside possibility of Friday). Next week we will do two texts instead of a text and a comic page. It's nothing she can help, but she is trying mightily. Thanks for bearing with us.

-Rob

I thought to bring this up, if anyone missed.

I don't mind, especially if both of the text updates are Book 0 ;)
Thoke

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions