Best strategy games?

Your campaigns, your favorite systems, and gaming news.

Re: Best strategy games?

Postby DevilDan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:38 pm

Prometheus wrote:
depricated wrote:Duh

Erfworld

Erfworld is not a game. You would know this if you had listened to the podcasts in the toolbox.

Because I'm in a cinematic mood today...

"It looks like a big, good sense of humor, doesn't it?"

(Atreyu looks down saddened.)

"I always thought that's what it was. My little friends, the little Joke with his Punchline, the One-Liner, even the stupid pun. I couldn't hold on to them. The Snarking pulled them right out of my sense of humor. I failed."

--

I mean, come on! If Erf isn't a game now, it'll be one eventually.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby chrono » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:55 pm

DevilDan wrote:I mean, come on! If Erf isn't a game now, it'll be one eventually.

Probably not. Or do you think it's possible to make a game where characters with unique charm and personality interrogate each other and get attuned to strange artifacts (with completely unbalanced powers). Or where you link casters and the effects are dependent on their personality and cooperation as much as on their powers. It's definitely not trivial to create a game where you can use the latter to break the game's own rules.

Erfworld already has more story than can fit in a contemporary RTS.
I Am A: True Neutral Human Sorcerer (4th Level)
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
chrono

Postby DevilDan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:15 pm

chrono wrote:
DevilDan wrote:I mean, come on! If Erf isn't a game now, it'll be one eventually.

Probably not. Or do you think it's possible to make a game where characters with unique charm and personality interrogate each other and get attuned to strange artifacts (with completely unbalanced powers). Or where you link casters and the effects are dependent on their personality and cooperation as much as on their powers. It's definitely not trivial to create a game where you can use the latter to break the game's own rules.

Erfworld already has more story than can fit in a contemporary RTS.

Hey, you never know. Actually, there are already several proposals for game versions of Erf floating around. I was referring the idea of an adaptation of the story/setting as a strategy game.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Prometheus » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:22 am

DevilDan wrote:
Prometheus wrote:

Erfworld

Erfworld is not a game. You would know this if you had listened to the podcasts in the toolbox.

Because I'm in a cinematic mood today...

"It looks like a big, good sense of humor, doesn't it?"

(Atreyu looks down saddened.)

"I always thought that's what it was. My little friends, the little Joke with his Punchline, the One-Liner, even the stupid pun. I couldn't hold on to them. The Snarking pulled them right out of my sense of humor. I failed."

--

I mean, come on! If Erf isn't a game now, it'll be one eventually.

There's a podcast in the toolbox that talks about how Erfworld isn't a game, it's an actual world that simply uses gamelike rules.
The first step to being right all of the time is to admit that you're wrong most of the time.
Prometheus

Postby DevilDan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:31 pm

Prometheus, we've had Word of the Titans for a very long time that Erf is a "game-like world." I've quoted that a few times myself.
DevilDan

Postby depricated » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:51 pm

Prometheus wrote:

Erfworld

ahem

http://www.watchmythreat.com/erfgame/Erfgame.jar
depricated

Postby Prometheus » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:58 pm

DevilDan wrote:Prometheus, we've had Word of the Titans for a very long time that Erf is a "game-like world." I've quoted that a few times myself.

"Game-like" is not the same as actually being a game.
The first step to being right all of the time is to admit that you're wrong most of the time.
Prometheus

Postby depricated » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:35 am

Prometheus wrote:
DevilDan wrote:Prometheus, we've had Word of the Titans for a very long time that Erf is a "game-like world." I've quoted that a few times myself.

Nor is joke-like the same as actually being funny.
depricated

Postby Prometheus » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:23 am

depricated wrote:
Prometheus wrote:

I wasn't trying to joke or be funny.
Prometheus

Postby depricated » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:48 am

Prometheus wrote:
depricated wrote:
Prometheus wrote:"Game-like" is not the same as actually being a game.

I wasn't trying to joke or be funny.

Then what was the point? Were you genuinely upset that I had mused about Erfworld being the best strategy game ever?

If that's the case then I apologize.
depricated

Postby DevilDan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:42 pm

This is all quite amusing, in a horrifying, "rubbernecking around a crash site" way.
DevilDan

Postby Prometheus » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:28 pm

depricated wrote:Then what was the point? Were you genuinely upset that I had mused about Erfworld being the best strategy game ever?

If that's the case then I apologize.

I wasn't upset. I just wanted to point that Erfworld wasn't technically a game.

I didn't mean to come across like an ass... sorry.
Prometheus

Postby OneHugeTuck » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:12 pm

depricated wrote: Nor is joke-like the same as actually being funny.

Apples to Oranges Comparison Nazi says: "That should have been 'Nor is joke-like the same as actually being a joke.' In which case, you just agreed with the other guy, because really it is. A bad joke, true, except for the times it's actually turns out to be a great joke.."
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby PhoenixTalion » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:24 pm

Warcraft (All of them) and Starcraft are pretty much the only RTS games I've ever played... loved them all, starting with kibitzing while my dad played Orcs and Humans when I was in preschool. XD

I um... also have been known to go on Warlords II binges when I'm feeling particularly energetic but have nothing to do.

Yes, I'm deliberately ignoring the argument going on above.
|Icons|Art|Fanfic|

"The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa."
~Robert Heinlein
PhoenixTalion

Postby Ferrous » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:54 pm

I echo some of the sentiments above, especially for Warcraft III. Also, I would like to put in one of my own favorites: Wesnoth. It's a fairly simple game to learn, but complex in its strategy. It's also based on a hex system, free to download, and open sourced. It's been a work in progress for a few years and is constantly developing itself. If you ever want to get community games going here, that would be a good place to start.
"Those who live in fear deserve what they get." -Ivan Moldavi
Marooner | Banjoist | Mapamancer
Ferrous

Postby Whet Lunkhoff » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:15 pm

Jagged Alliance 2.

Strategic layer, squad-level turn-based tactical combat, resource management, exploration, a great sense of humour. Fantastic game that you can complete again and again and again and never tire of, and that's just the vanilla 1.12 version.

The 1.13 mod rewrites a lot of the game, including the enemy AI, and adds hundreds of weapons and items.
I'm a turn-based lover, not a fighter.
Whet Lunkhoff

Postby CaptainPlatypus » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:07 am

Starcraft: Brood War takes first place by miles. Not because it's particularly realistic, or because all that matters is your strategic skill - these are both manifestly untrue - but because of the sheer depth and variety of strategy and tactics involved. Remind me to tell you all about the Royal Stove sometime as a cautionary tale for overly complex plans.

Civilization IV (I play Beyond the Sword personally, but nothing's wrong with vanilla or Warlords) is also incredibly fun, for basically the same reason Starcraft is - complexity. Unfortunately, in Civ4 the complexity is in the rules, not what you can do with them, so it's slightly less timeless.

DotA, or Defense of the Ancients, a Warcraft III custom map (there's a thread in this very forum about Heroes of Newerth, a clone with better graphics and no competitive balance at all, so clearly some of you are at least vaguely familiar) is also pretty interesting strategically, if you're playing at a high enough level. The ban/pick system alone is a pretty entertaining strategy game, and that's just the beginning.

Finally, no post on strategy games would be complete without Allegiance, which is indescribably awesome. It's kinda-sorta a first person shooter, and kinda-sorta a space combat sim, but mostly it's a strategy game.

Never mind, that wasn't finally at all! Fooled you, didn't I? If you're willing to tolerate month upon month of extreme boredom and no free time for it (I'm not, but maybe you're more masochistic than me), upper-level "0.0" (pure player versus player) EVE Online play is a rather shockingly realistic simulation of large-scale space warfare.

And finally for real this time, we get to the one board game that makes this list - Diplomacy. Compared to the above, the mechanics are mind-bogglingly simple, but it's an excellent place to practice dealing with one's opponents - literally, making deals with them - in its purest form.
CaptainPlatypus

Postby pSycHOtic chICkeN » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:31 am

chess
pSycHOtic chICkeN

Postby konmanrocks » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:34 pm

lately i have been trying to play Sins of a Solar Empire, but the game doesnt seem to like my pc too much. it has been a fun game though when it works
konmanrocks
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby mhangman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:26 am

well here my list:
hearts of iron 2
hearts of iron 3
civizilation series
OFC number one is Starcraft!
sudden strike
disciples 2 rise of the elves