Heros of Newerth

Your campaigns, your favorite systems, and gaming news.

Heros of Newerth

Postby Drasha » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:58 am

Right now i am beta testing the game Heros of Newerth its a clone of dota with better graphics and a much better interface made by S2games. I have 3 extra invites to give out right now and wanted to know if any one wanted one. As a warning dota players are jerks to new players so i suggest you ignore them and if you want to get better read up on the forums. All i need is a email address will give it to the first 3 people who post with their address and will go down the list as i get more keys.

video
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-debut-heroes-of/55217
Last edited by Drasha on Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drasha

Re: Heros of Newerth

Postby Kallisti » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:55 am

I totally forgot I requested a beta key for this. It's sitting in my inbox too.
Kallisti

Postby Kallisti » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:50 am

And my graphics card can't run it...
Kallisti

Postby Prometheus » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:53 am

Kallisti wrote:And my graphics card can't run it...

What are the required specs? I was looking into it, but I couldn't seem to find them anywhere.
The first step to being right all of the time is to admit that you're wrong most of the time.
Prometheus

Postby Drasha » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:02 pm

there are none yet but it can run on any windows linux or a mac. Your computer should run it fine as long as its not to old people with 4 year old computers have run it with no lag if you want to try it let me know not like it matters much if it turns out you can't run it just send in a report of what type of computer you have and your still helping test the game more then some people are :)
Drasha

Postby Drasha » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:01 pm

here is some concept art for the game
Drasha

Postby Kallisti » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:28 pm

It crashes on a check for OpenGL2, my card only supports 1.5. Drives me nuts since the processor is beefy enough to muscle through it on most openGL stuff, even before I had 1.5 working.
Kallisti

Postby Drasha » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:56 pm

Get a new graphics card man your missing out on all the fun :) you sent in information on it right so they know? If the nda was lifted a little more i would show you some ingame pictures of me owning it up but i can only talk about how awesome it is :)
Drasha

Postby Kallisti » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:48 am

Eh, even if I had the money graphics drivers on Linux are too much of a pain in the ass.
Kallisti

Postby Drasha » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:38 am

what distro are you running? i run ubuntu with a gefore 8600 gt and it was not a pain in the ass at all with the latest version.
Drasha

Postby Kallisti » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:18 pm

Debian, and I don't run proprietary code at ring 0, thats just asking for security and stability issues (third party drivers represent 85% of crashes on windows).
Kallisti

Postby Prometheus » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:59 pm

Drasha wrote:there are none yet but it can run on any windows linux or a mac. Your computer should run it fine as long as its not to old people with 4 year old computers have run it with no lag if you want to try it let me know not like it matters much if it turns out you can't run it just send in a report of what type of computer you have and your still helping test the game more then some people are :)

Sure, I'd like to try it. I'll pm you my e-mail address.
The first step to being right all of the time is to admit that you're wrong most of the time.
Prometheus

Postby Drasha » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:28 pm

your in 2 invites left.
Drasha

Postby Drasha » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:06 pm

Whats that you want to know more about the game? http://honwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page has all the information you could want i still have 2 keys up for grabs.
Drasha

Postby Drasha » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:33 pm

Demo video of Heros of Newerth i have a lot of keys if any one still wants one.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-debut-heroes-of/55217
Drasha

Postby Skystriker » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Anyone know about the differences between HoN and LoL? I've played both, but looking to see what others think.
Skystriker

Postby Prometheus » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:51 am

Skystriker wrote:Anyone know about the differences between HoN and LoL? I've played both, but looking to see what others think.

HoN is looking to cleave far more closely to DotA.
Pros: They're sticking to what works and trying to refine it. Since they have a good starting point, the game is already quite polished.
Cons: There's not much innovation. Most of the heroes are direct copies of DotA heroes, and there are almost no original items (possibly none at all, I haven't played in a month or so). If you've played DotA, there's not much here for you other than an improved interface and a graphical upgrade, which you may not consider to be worth $30.

LoL is going in another direction. They're simply in the same genre, but they're trying to do things differently.
Pros: Everything is new. They're not afraid to innovate, and it contains some very interesting features not in DotA (summoner spells, masteries, runes). Also, it's free.
Cons: They don't have the solid foundation that HoN does, so balance needs tweaking. Some people don't like the graphics (personally, I think they're fine, but your mileage may vary). There aren't many game mode options yet, and it takes a while to unlock all the champions.

Personally, I like LoL more, if only because graphics don't matter to me at all, and they're one of the major selling points of HoN. In my opinion, S2 Games needs to man up and move away from DotA and work more on their own ideas. If people want to play DotA, that's fine. Let them play DotA. Sure, it's popular now, but once it gets out of beta and stops being free, I think they'll see a significant drop in players.
Prometheus

Postby Drasha » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:24 am

I still have keys if people want them :D

i personally like hon over lol for a lot of reasons but don't really feel like getting into it. S2 has changed a couple of the items up and added some of their own and we have a good number of original heroes that are fun to play at this point.
Drasha

Postby Prometheus » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:16 pm

Drasha wrote:I still have keys if people want them :D

i personally like hon over lol for a lot of reasons but don't really feel like getting into it. S2 has changed a couple of the items up and added some of their own and we have a good number of original heroes that are fun to play at this point.

See, that's a step in the right direction. I just think it was a mistake to spend so much time copying DotA when they were planning to diverge anyways.
Prometheus

Postby Trine » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:17 pm

I heard something about HoN having a version for Mac OSX. Is this true? If so, I'd love a beta key.
Trine

Next

Return to General Gaming