Erfworld Q&A

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Erfworld Q&A

Postby Justyn » Sun May 03, 2009 8:25 am

So, now that Chapter 1 is nearing its final pages, I think that it would be okay to start a thread for asking questions about things relating to Erfworld, so that we wont have a bunch of threads that each ask but a single question.

Here are a few questions just to get the ball rolling:

What are the names of the other two Warlords (the red-haired one and the one with the pony-tail) that were seen around with Ansom and Duke Nozzle?

We've never seen any Marbits speaking, so can they speak at all, or do they just make noises? Or do they have their own language?

Any chance we can we can get a brief description on the magic elements/classes/axes/disciplines? Maybe as a klog in between chapters, or just as a post here on the forums?

Is the reason that Stanley only uses those seven colors of dwagons because, say, white dwagons or black dwagons are even less powerful than the "weaker" yellows? Because those are the only ones the Arkenhammer lets him produce? Because the Arkenhammer only lets him produce dwagons he has encountered, and he has only encountered those seven types? Because Gobwin Knob can produce those seven types of dwagon even without the Arkenhammer? Some other reason I haven't though of, or some combination of the above? Why yes, I am aware that this is a long question.

Rob noted that barbarians can use farming or hunting to pay their upkeep; so are there any specific rules for farming and hunting?

Also, this is my first post here on the new forums... Hi!
Last edited by Justyn on Wed May 06, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Re: Erfworld Q&A

Postby Hobgobwin » Sun May 03, 2009 9:13 am

Justyn wrote:Is the reason that Stanley only uses those seven colors of dwagons because, say, white dwagons or black dwagons are even less powerful than the "weaker" yellows?

He's used black dwagons (here). Maybe white dwagons don't exist?

The new archive's really nice, makes searching for a specific strip so much easier.
Hobgobwin

Postby doran » Sun May 03, 2009 10:27 am

Hobgobwin wrote:
Justyn wrote:Is the reason that Stanley only uses those seven colors of dwagons because, say, white dwagons or black dwagons are even less powerful than the "weaker" yellows?

He's used black dwagons (here). Maybe white dwagons don't exist?

The new archive's really nice, makes searching for a specific strip so much easier.

That dragon looks brown to me.
MarbitChow wrote: Don't you get it yet? WE ARE THE MAGIC KINGDOM.
We're the people sitting around discussing our pet theories based on nomenclature, citing references, discussing ad nauseum while Parson finds out how it works.
doran
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Zerohour » Sun May 03, 2009 3:22 pm

My question would be if there are any plans to create a strategy system based on Erfworld. Considering that the whole comic is based off of a wargaming system, I would really like to take it for a spin myself.
Zerohour

Postby R3u » Mon May 04, 2009 2:06 am

My question is this... Do Erfworlders age? How old are all the units we've seen? What's the average age? Given that people can pop whole-cloth, how many of the named characters have ages of less than a few hundred days? Who's oldest, and who's youngest?

War doesn't take very long at all in a strategy game, and that makes me very curious about life expectancies and ages.
R3u

Postby cloudbreaker » Mon May 04, 2009 2:37 am

My question is, "How many terrain types are there?" We have seen a few so far (city, forest, lake, road, mountain, field), but there are bound to be more.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Fuzzypaws » Tue May 05, 2009 8:31 pm

Do Erflings have concepts similar to "heaven" or "hell" or "limbo" or "purgatory", or of a D&Desque "outer planes" type cosmology, or any other afterlife or cosmology whatsoever? If so, what do they believe determines your ultimate fate after croaking? And if they believe in souls, what do they think of sentient uncroaked like nega-Ansom?
This has been a test of the emergency broadcast system. If this were an actual emergency, you would already be dead.
Fuzzypaws

Postby SteveMB » Tue May 05, 2009 8:37 pm

Fuzzypaws wrote:Do Erflings have concepts similar to "heaven" or "hell" or "limbo" or "purgatory", or of a D&Desque "outer planes" type cosmology, or any other afterlife or cosmology whatsoever? If so, what do they believe determines your ultimate fate after croaking? And if they believe in souls, what do they think of sentient uncroaked like nega-Ansom?

Vinny's "If we're standing in front of the Titans tomorrow night...." speech implies a concept of an afterlife in which valor and success in battle is rewarded.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB

Postby cloudbreaker » Wed May 06, 2009 12:18 am

Thought of another one. Does Erfworld have weather? So far it seems we have only seen sunny and partly cloudy skies. Withe the exception of the volcano erupting, of course.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby derfy » Wed May 06, 2009 12:56 am

cloudbreaker wrote:Thought of another one. Does Erfworld have weather? So far it seems we have only seen sunny and partly cloudy skies. Withe the exception of the volcano erupting, of course.

<voiced by the automatic weather alert 'voice'>
"Tuesday. Fair and partly cloudy with a 100 percent chance of FLAMING DEATH FROM THE HEAVENS. High is 200 degrees."
derfy
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby raphfrk » Wed May 06, 2009 5:21 am

cloudbreaker wrote:Thought of another one. Does Erfworld have weather? So far it seems we have only seen sunny and partly cloudy skies. Withe the exception of the volcano erupting, of course.

Jillian comments that there are no clouds when Jack and Stanley are using the bat illusion to escape.

Weather, if it exists, is probably a bonus/penalty for certain units.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby konmanrocks » Fri May 08, 2009 3:19 pm

derfy wrote:

<voiced by the automatic weather alert 'voice'>
"Tuesday. Fair and partly cloudy with a 100 percent chance of FLAMING DEATH FROM THE HEAVENS. High is 200 degrees."

this made me chuckle

i was just wondering how many other sides there are right now
konmanrocks
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Binty » Sat May 09, 2009 12:07 pm

Parson's leadership bonus is intially 2 (see klog #4), However on p106 his sword gives him Leadership, Combat and Ruthlessness.

So what's his leadership bonus now? I would assume it is now a respectable figure, but it's not been mentioned. Guessing at 7 :)
Binty

Postby Zerohour » Sun May 10, 2009 4:10 pm

konmanrocks wrote:this made me chuckle

i was just wondering how many other sides there are right now

My guess is there are at least 20, probably somewhere up into the 30s or forties..

Listed among the coalition members there are seven sides, but Jillian mentioned only working for "Far off" sides as a mercenary. Assuming that all of the coalition members were "close," then there are probably a minimum of seven "far off" sides, which brings the total up to 15 sides, including Stanley's. Most likely there is a significantly larger number than that, but since we don't know the size of Erfworld or what constitutes "Far off," who can say for sure. I think it's been left purposefully vague, like what most of the Magic classes do, in order to allow the writer enough flexibility to prevent screwing up the story.

---
Edit2: checked Word of the Titans. Never mind

Edit: Do you think Charlie could have been another summon? He seems a bit more genre savvy than the rest of Erfworld, and knows gamer lingo...
Last edited by Zerohour on Sun May 10, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zerohour

Postby Muzzafar » Sun May 10, 2009 4:22 pm

Justyn wrote:What are the names of the other two Warlords (the red-haired one and the one with the pony-tail) that were seen around with Ansom and Duke Nozzle?

And what sides do they belong to?
Muzzafar

Postby Mikalyaran » Sun May 10, 2009 8:11 pm

Muzzafar wrote:
Justyn wrote:What are the names of the other two Warlords (the red-haired one and the one with the pony-tail) that were seen around with Ansom and Duke Nozzle?

And what sides do they belong to?

There are threads discussing both of those questions. I don't think we have enough info to kow for sure there sides but some pretty good guesses have been put out there.
Mikalyaran

Postby Justyn » Thu May 14, 2009 12:56 am

New questions:

Are Gems the only things that can be mined and converted into Schmuckers, or can other things (precious metals like gold or silver, or other materials like jade, ivory, or pearls) be used to fund a side's treasury?

Had the Gobwins successfully taken and held Gobwin Knob, would that have made them a capital side?
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn

Postby Happycrow » Wed May 20, 2009 6:18 pm

Do we get a helmeted guy who gives useless but pithy advice at the beginning of every few random turns? Your younger readers probably don't get it, but please keep the references coming... this is hilarious.
Happycrow

Postby SteveMB » Wed May 20, 2009 6:36 pm

Justyn wrote:Are Gems the only things that can be mined and converted into Schmuckers, or can other things (precious metals like gold or silver, or other materials like jade, ivory, or pearls) be used to fund a side's treasury?

Unknown, but I don't see why there would be, really, unless there's some Erf-mechanically-different way to define "a package for carrying a lot more shmuckers than someone could normally carry in his purse."
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB

Postby InInUrForumz » Thu May 21, 2009 3:44 am

Justyn wrote:New questions:

Are Gems the only things that can be mined and converted into Schmuckers, or can other things (precious metals like gold or silver, or other materials like jade, ivory, or pearls) be used to fund a side's treasury?

Had the Gobwins successfully taken and held Gobwin Knob, would that have made them a capital side?

This is just speculation, but I strongly suspect the reason certain races are "natural allies" instead of having a side of their own is that they're unable to field a real leader. Just like losing your capital ends your side....if you don't have a strong enough leader, you can't make a side in the first place. It seems logical to me.
InInUrForumz

Next

Return to Everything Else Erfworld