Summer Update - 026

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Update - 026

Postby DivineDragoonKain » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:39 pm

Question, guys:

Is there any reason you're all taking Janis's little lie about Parson at face value, or did Rob drop a hint that Parson was, in fact a Hippymancer?

If you're just relying on Janis's word here, I think it's pretty obvious she was fibbing to get the other casters off of Parson's back, and he was able to move through the portal because he's Parson (simply, not bound to Erfworld's rules 100% of the time).
DivineDragoonKain

Postby DevilDan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:23 pm

DivineDragoonKain wrote:Is there any reason you're all taking Janis's little lie about Parson at face value, or did Rob drop a hint that Parson was, in fact a Hippymancer?

If you're just relying on Janis's word here, I think it's pretty obvious she was fibbing to get the other casters off of Parson's back, and he was able to move through the portal because he's Parson (simply, not bound to Erfworld's rules 100% of the time).

Actually, I think most of us are taking that with a giant grain of salt.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Dwagon_Cwoaker » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:10 pm

We just have to see one thing in the next update. If Parson can move onto a new hex even though he has no move, then we can confirm that Parson does not follow the rules of movement in Erfworld. If the force that gives units their move and prevent them from moving farther, as well as not allowing them to move at night, does not apply to him, then logically, the same force that keeps non-casters from going through the doorways into the Magic Kingdom would not apply to him either, as going through the doorway into the Magic Kingdom seems to be similar to movement, it just doesn't cost the move of the caster to do so (i think. may be wrong. if i am wrong, and it costs move, then using the doorways is the same as exiting or leaving the hex, which means that the logic applies anyways and movement laws don't apply to Parson.)
Dwagon_Cwoaker

Postby Lothmar » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:14 pm

Then again, new abilities may be added to parson as they arise/are needed.
Ex: He steps outside - move appears on his stat sheet.
Hell, he might have been assigned a caster variant for going through the portal. But as stated, we wont know until we get more info/they review his info in response to said happenings.
Lothmar

Postby Gez » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:26 pm

balder wrote:New one is up, with AWSOM guest artist Onezumi, of Stupid and Insane Defenders Against Chaos.

If that's what Onezumi could draw, what about two zumis linked? :P
Gez

Postby DevilDan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:56 pm

Not to belabor the point, but we know that he does get tired and thus doesn't quite follow normal movement rules.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Graydon » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:42 pm

SteveMB wrote:
Graydon wrote:
Ambug666 wrote:Didn't Parson leave the city when he went to the magic realm?

The mechanism was a magic portal; presumably, this does not involve Move.

It almost can't involve Move

No "almost" about it -- we saw a one-shot (i.e. from some other side) caster use a portal during Gobwin Knob's turn.

Not, alas, definitive; turn order is not pan-Erf, it's for the parties to a conflict. (Turn position for a side is apparently innate, but we don't see "let's wait for the eighty-three sides between Jetstone and Gobwin Knob to move", either.) So a party to some other conflict, or a party not involved in any conflict, isn't stuck in the same turn sequence as the folks in conflict with Gobwin Knob were.

I mean, I like the simplicity of "it's not move, so you can do it when it's not your turn", but that's -- if true -- going to wind up full of Parson-sized holes.
Graydon

Postby Anton Gaist » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:46 pm

DivineDragoonKain wrote:Question, guys:

Is there any reason you're all taking Janis's little lie about Parson at face value, or did Rob drop a hint that Parson was, in fact a Hippymancer?

I'm taking her statement at face value until it's proven otherwise. It might be something along the line of Gotti being able to use natural Hippymancy to determine the outcomes of battles.

Other than that, heh, the possibility of Sizemore/Maggie... wait, does this mean that Rule 34... no, I won't google it. I won't.
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby Spot » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:11 pm

Gez wrote:
balder wrote:New one is up, with AWSOM guest artist Onezumi, of Stupid and Insane Defenders Against Chaos.

If that's what Onezumi could draw, what about two zumis linked? :P

hehe :lol:
I shamelessly stole my avatar from Cloudbreaker :D
Spot

Postby dholm » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:51 pm

DivineDragoonKain wrote:Question, guys:

If that's the case, why say he's a Hippiemancer? Why not just agree he's a Mathamancer? He at least has his calculator watch to back him up there.
--Dan Holm
dholm

Postby dholm » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:52 pm

kunsttyv wrote:Is this certain? Can you show me an example of this? (bear in mind that it is stated that captives share turn with their captors, and allies all use the turn of the "last" member)

It is certain, if for no other reason than that we haven't been forced to endure the turns of every other side in Erfworld. If they were after one another, a single day would take ages.
--Dan Holm
dholm

Postby Sieggy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:58 pm

dholm wrote:
kunsttyv wrote:Is this certain? Can you show me an example of this? (bear in mind that it is stated that captives share turn with their captors, and allies all use the turn of the "last" member)

It is certain, if for no other reason than that we haven't been forced to endure the turns of every other side in Erfworld. If they were after one another, a single day would take ages.

Actually, that was one of the questions I had when the RCC assaulted GK . . . they succeeded in penetrating the main curtain wall, and the central keep wall all in the same turn, as well as take the citadel and penetrate into the tunnel zone. I have to wonder how many hours that turn lasted . . .
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby SteveMB » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:31 am

dholm wrote:If that's the case, why say he's a Hippiemancer? Why not just agree he's a Mathamancer? He at least has his calculator watch to back him up there.

Janis is a Grand Abbie (clearly implied to the the title of a high-level Hippiemancer). Declaring Parson to be a Hippiemancer would make it more likely that the other casters would let Parson be her problem and defer to her in deciding what to do about it.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Straylight » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:00 am

I read this comic since the beginning and now I finally joined the forum to say how amazing these summer updates are. Keep up the great work, guys!!!

Spot wrote:
OneHugeTuck wrote:If I win the 325Million lotto tomorrow night (and I will) I'm going to be a Medici-style patron.

You're going to poison people?

;)

I guess you're mixing up the Medici and the Borgia.
Straylight

Postby warriortribble » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:44 pm

Straylight wrote:I guess you're mixing up the Medici and the Borgia.
Well, Catherine de Medici is infamous for being a poisoner (and apparantly also a huge influence to modern French cusine), but the Borgia do seem more popular.
warriortribble

Postby SteveMB » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:53 pm

Graydon wrote:
SteveMB wrote:No "almost" about it -- we saw a one-shot (i.e. from some other side) caster use a portal during Gobwin Knob's turn.

Not, alas, definitive; turn order is not pan-Erf, it's for the parties to a conflict. (Turn position for a side is apparently innate, but we don't see "let's wait for the eighty-three sides between Jetstone and Gobwin Knob to move", either.) So a party to some other conflict, or a party not involved in any conflict, isn't stuck in the same turn sequence as the folks in conflict with Gobwin Knob were.

Somebody pointed out a more ironclad argument -- Maggie, Sizemore, Wanda, and Parson used the portal when it was most definitely not GK's turn (it was the RCC's turn, and the two were directly engaged), and then made the return trip before GK's turn began the next day.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:46 pm

SteveMB wrote:
Graydon wrote:Not, alas, definitive; turn order is not pan-Erf, it's for the parties to a conflict. (Turn position for a side is apparently innate, but we don't see "let's wait for the eighty-three sides between Jetstone and Gobwin Knob to move", either.) So a party to some other conflict, or a party not involved in any conflict, isn't stuck in the same turn sequence as the folks in conflict with Gobwin Knob were.
Somebody pointed out a more ironclad argument -- Maggie, Sizemore, Wanda, and Parson used the portal when it was most definitely not GK's turn (it was the RCC's turn, and the two were directly engaged), and then made the return trip before GK's turn began the next day.

I'm not sure why the Magic Kingdom portal is being used here to discuss turn sequence. All it demonstrates is that using the portal requires 0 move, so it can be done at will, even when it's not your turn.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby President_Allosaurus » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:50 pm

Re: Janis' lie

In Page 18 Stanley pretty openly says Parson's stats are unseeable. There's been no mention of that changing, so Janis could only have been lying or just stating her belief on the matter (both of which place her in charge of Parson's care).
President_Allosaurus

Postby dholm » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:27 pm

There's also the possibility that Janis, as a Grand Abbie, could see Parson's stats if he's a Hippiemancer.
--Dan Holm
dholm

Postby Oberon » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:42 am

DevilDan wrote:Not to belabor the point, but we know that he does get tired and thus doesn't quite follow normal movement rules.
It's moot at the point, but there is a world of difference between Parson being shown to be winded after climbing some stairs because he is fat and out of shape and concluding that he doesn't follow the normal movement rules. Unless he actually couldn't get somewhere within the city because he was tired, there is no impact demonstrated for being shown to be tired, and thus no conclusion which can be drawn about Parson and movement rules.

And, the very existence of Maggy's spell "Ephedra" shows that being tired or weary is not exclusive to Parson.
Oberon

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions