Summer Update - 027

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Summer Update - 027

Postby balder » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:16 am

New one is up. I'll be posting these without art and then tapping volunteers to do the art later. I don't want to hold up the updates any more.
balder

Re: Summer Update - 027

Postby Ezphares » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:34 am

I wonder if it hurts to run into hex boundaries if you don't have a move stat?
Ezphares
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Jallorn » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:54 am

I just realized that it says he runs into the boundary, but not that it stops him. I dunno, maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Never mind.
Last edited by Jallorn on Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jallorn

Postby Arkaim » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:00 am

For some reason I thought there would be a lava lake at the end of the archway, not a switchback road. Guess I didn't picture the city layout correctly in my head.
Arkaim
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Xondoure » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:13 am

I wonder if Parson will ever be able to free ERfworld from its game rules... it looks like, at least for now, he is still bound by them.
For all those about to do something with those messed up things we call lives... I salute you.

An army of space cows have come to destroy the earth after jumping over the moon!
...Why doesn't anyone believe me?
Xondoure

Postby gameboy1234 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:31 am

I was sure Parson would just be able to walk wherever he wanted. Guess not. Unless it's because Stanley hasn't promoted him from a garrison unit. It looks like swearing was book 1, learning to move around might be book 2.

And Maggie telling jokes? I bet she got some. ;)
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby MuthSera » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:00 am

Dag, yo. Baby steps.
oh god how did this get here
I am not good with computer
MuthSera

Postby moose o death » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:05 am

good update, i liked this one, especially maggies "you could explode" line. light hearted exchanges like this always make me smile. and why no art? you said you had dozens or artists apply. and conceivably theres probably less than sixteen updates to go. ahh well this is probably my favourite update of them all so far, with or without art. good job
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Anton Gaist » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:17 am

So he's got 0 move. I honestly didn't see that one coming.

Neither was I expecting Maggie to crack a joke, for that matter.

Have I mentioned how much I like these summer updates?
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby cloudbreaker » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:24 am

balder wrote:New one is up. I'll be posting these without art and then tapping volunteers to do the art later. I don't want to hold up the updates any more.

Does that mean that update 22 and/or update 23 might get some artwork as well? I'm just wondering because I've really been enjoying these guest artists so far, so that would just be two more opportunities to see even more of it!
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby balder » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:02 am

cloudbreaker wrote:
balder wrote:New one is up. I'll be posting these without art and then tapping volunteers to do the art later. I don't want to hold up the updates any more.

Does that mean that update 22 and/or update 23 might get some artwork as well? I'm just wondering because I've really been enjoying these guest artists so far, so that would just be two more opportunities to see even more of it!

Yeah that is actually the plan. I am going to contact artists individually to do art for updates that have posted. I'll alert you when those go up.
balder

Postby LordDarksea » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:47 am

I wonder if Parson's zero move will end up being not all it seems. I keep feeling the reason his stats can't be seen is because he just doesn't have them, so erfworld just applies the obvious to him. learning to cross hex-boundaries may be like learning to swear, just getting the right focus of will. In which case, he may end up crossing boundaries even when its not his turn.

Another fantastic update. I must say the greedy part of me loves getting the updates sooner and the pictures later, and the really greedy part of me loves getting the updates without knowing when they'll be there as it truly is a hit. (apparently there isn't a selfless part of me. oops).

Anyway, I'm off to glow in happy-amused-glee over that one. thanks again for the brilliant work, it makes summer far more bearable.

Best,
Thom
LordDarksea

Postby BarGamer » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:28 am

It's gotta be that he's a garrison unit, when Stanley demoted him. Or maybe it has to do with his "command" for people to follow him? Aaargh!
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Infidel » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:48 am

Hrm, new hole...not really a hole, just a protagonist blind spot I suppose.

Maybe his being able to see the hex boundry affects whether he can penetrate it or not? When he went to the magic kindgom his glasses were off. So just as the sword originally seemed to empower him, but really controlled him, perhaps the same goes with the glasses. They seem to empower him to be more in tune with the world, but being more in-tune also means more dominated by its laws.

Makes me wonder if the same applies to the mathamancy gauntlet in some way. I foresee this book is probably going to focus on how Parson builds a cage around himself with those glasses somehow. He needs to rely on the tool in his head, not the tool on his head. I'm using the word tool here generically of course.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby sixtem » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:35 am

Ready and willing to do art!

I'm really liking the prose, even more than I did in the beginning. Not sure if it's growing on me more, or if it's fallen into a comfortable flow, similar to how the comic did.

So it appears that while Parson is clearly not of Erfworld, he still has to obey some of its laws. Perhaps things that are part of the world, like the boundaries, will affect him, but things that are specific to units won't? I suppose that logic doesn't hold very well, seeing how units have a move stat.
sixtem

Postby dholm » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:10 am

Infidel wrote:Hrm, new hole...not really a hole, just a protagonist blind spot I suppose.

Maybe his being able to see the hex boundry affects whether he can penetrate it or not? When he went to the magic kindgom his glasses were off. So just as the sword originally seemed to empower him, but really controlled him, perhaps the same goes with the glasses. They seem to empower him to be more in tune with the world, but being more in-tune also means more dominated by its laws.

Makes me wonder if the same applies to the mathamancy gauntlet in some way. I foresee this book is probably going to focus on how Parson builds a cage around himself with those glasses somehow. He needs to rely on the tool in his head, not the tool on his head. I'm using the word tool here generically of course.

That's precisely what I was wondering.
--Dan Holm
dholm

Postby myrddin » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:37 am

Anton Gaist wrote:So he's got 0 move. I honestly didn't see that one coming.

Neither was I expecting Maggie to crack a joke, for that matter.

Have I mentioned how much I like these summer updates?

It might not be that he has 0 move, do we know if it's his turn or not? which would be why he wanted the running start...
myrddin

Postby HandofShadows » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:43 am

I wonder if the next update is going to sart off with a swear word.
HandofShadows

Postby Prometheus » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:21 am

LordDarksea wrote:I wonder if Parson's zero move will end up being not all it seems. I keep feeling the reason his stats can't be seen is because he just doesn't have them, so erfworld just applies the obvious to him. learning to cross hex-boundaries may be like learning to swear, just getting the right focus of will. In which case, he may end up crossing boundaries even when its not his turn.

I like that theory... it sounds fairly plausible to me.
The first step to being right all of the time is to admit that you're wrong most of the time.
Prometheus

Postby Spot » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:44 am

LordDarksea wrote:I wonder if Parson's zero move will end up being not all it seems. I keep feeling the reason his stats can't be seen is because he just doesn't have them, so erfworld just applies the obvious to him. learning to cross hex-boundaries may be like learning to swear, just getting the right focus of will. In which case, he may end up crossing boundaries even when its not his turn.

Best,
Thom

I think you're on to something there.

(off topic: oh and, hey... are you the Thom I know? Riskaani? One of the wolves?)
I shamelessly stole my avatar from Cloudbreaker :D
Spot

Next

Return to Reactions