Summer Update - 027

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Update - 027

Postby raphfrk » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:04 am

Infidel wrote:Maybe his being able to see the hex boundry affects whether he can penetrate it or not? When he went to the magic kindgom his glasses were off. So just as the sword originally seemed to empower him, but really controlled him, perhaps the same goes with the glasses.

If that is true, maybe he has to leave them behind when he goes through a boundary.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:21 pm

LordDarksea wrote:I wonder if Parson's zero move will end up being not all it seems. I keep feeling the reason his stats can't be seen is because he just doesn't have them, so erfworld just applies the obvious to him. learning to cross hex-boundaries may be like learning to swear, just getting the right focus of will. In which case, he may end up crossing boundaries even when its not his turn.

I don't think that is the same; the boob-blockade was something enforced only on parson. Nobody else had to suffer from this. Of course nobody else would have said the cuss-words, but still. The crossing of hexes is different, it is physical constant that applies to every erfworldian, just like the laws of thermodynamics apply to everybody on earth.
I wonder more, if the movement rule was in force one week ago, when Parson just entered erfworld. Maybe Parson becomes more and more a normal erfworlder, and sometime even his stats will be visible. he even states, that he is feeling almost comfortable there.

The most important thing is what Maggie said: She tries to explore her own capabilities.That is basically the opposite of what Don King said: to him, everybody has a place, and you can't do anything about it. A commoner is a commoner, a royal is a royal, even if she want's to be a barbarian.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby badninja » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:43 pm

Great he is stuck in the city, I was wishing he could leave the city and have some fun but I guess not. I wonder if Parson is seen as a part of the city and cannot leave it unless ordered to?
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:05 pm

There is a very convenient stack of 8 sourmanders in the next hex. I think parson will go on a ride with them :)
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby Majutsukai » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:52 pm

Didn't Maggie say that the hex boundary provided soft resistance? But Parson seems to have smacked into it. Hard resistance.

Could that mean something, maybe?
Majutsukai

Postby moose o death » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:32 pm

he encountered soft resistance and ignored that. the next step ...one most erfworlders wouldn't tempt, is walking head first into a brickwall. just like when you miss those little decals on the glass sliding door and walk headfirst into the glass.

i do wonder if he actually asked stanley to un garrison him for the purpose of his experiment., it seems like even if he could cross the boundary, maggie and sizemore wouldn't have been able to follow. or maybe they were all ungarrisoned and parson really has no move at all.

if that's the case i'm not sure parson can ever leave GK. not even against his will
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Majutsukai » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:49 pm

Even if he has no move, he could, in theory, leave on a mount.
Majutsukai

Postby Jallorn » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:51 pm

moose o death wrote:he encountered soft resistance and ignored that. the next step ...one most erfworlders wouldn't tempt, is walking head first into a brickwall. just like when you miss those little decals on the glass sliding door and walk headfirst into the glass.

i do wonder if he actually asked stanley to un garrison him for the purpose of his experiment., it seems like even if he could cross the boundary, maggie and sizemore wouldn't have been able to follow. or maybe they were all ungarrisoned and parson really has no move at all.

if that's the case i'm not sure parson can ever leave GK. not even against his will

Don't mounted units use their mount's move? So they could then dismount and continue under their own, untouched move?
Jallorn

Postby Infidel » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:03 pm

Spot wrote:
LordDarksea wrote:I wonder if Parson's zero move will end up being not all it seems. I keep feeling the reason his stats can't be seen is because he just doesn't have them, so erfworld just applies the obvious to him. learning to cross hex-boundaries may be like learning to swear, just getting the right focus of will. In which case, he may end up crossing boundaries even when its not his turn.

Best,
Thom

I think you're on to something there.

(off topic: oh and, hey... are you the Thom I know? Riskaani? One of the wolves?)

many games make mounting and dismounting take a move action. So that might not work.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Steve-D » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:16 pm

Majutsukai wrote:Didn't Maggie say that the hex boundary provided soft resistance? But Parson seems to have smacked into it. Hard resistance.

Could that mean something, maybe?

I don't think so, we saw Jillian encounter hard resistance when she tried to catch Stanley after the failed ambush.

I wonder if Parson learning to cross the boundry will be like learning to fly in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy; to do it you've got to to it without realising you've done it. :P
Steve-D

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:58 pm

I'm surprised Parson is willing to laugh at Maggie's joke. Shouldn't he find it difficult to get along with someone he considers responsible for a needless death (that occurred maybe a week ago)? Or is he still thinking of the people around him as game characters?
JenBurdoo

Postby Majutsukai » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:13 pm

I... don't honestly think he's still hung up on that. Maggie's earned a bit more respect by now, I think.
Majutsukai

Postby QuothTheRaven » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:33 pm

After all that lead up, it's kind of funny to have Parson just smack into the barrier. The game mechanics almost seem to follow either the Rule of Funny or the Rule of Cool.
QuothTheRaven

Postby SteveMB » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:45 pm

JenBurdoo wrote:I'm surprised Parson is willing to laugh at Maggie's joke. Shouldn't he find it difficult to get along with someone he considers responsible for a needless death (that occurred maybe a week ago)?

Maybe he thinks "yeah, like I'm in any position to criticize".... That would fit with his response to Maggie's apology.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Zerohour » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:31 am

For some reason, this update made me think of Maggie/Sizemore pairing. I don't know why, it just pops into my head when I read it.

It does make me wonder about Erfworld's romance mechanics a bit though.
Zerohour

Postby Justyn » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:35 am

Zerohour wrote:For some reason, this update made me think of Maggie/Sizemore pairing. I don't know why, it just pops into my head when I read it.

Why do you assume that there are mechanics for it? Erfworld isn't a game.
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Ichthus » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:43 am

Justyn wrote:
Zerohour wrote:For some reason, this update made me think of Maggie/Sizemore pairing. I don't know why, it just pops into my head when I read it.

Why do you assume that there are mechanics for it? Erfworld isn't a game.

Natural Date-a-mancy ;)

Edit: *snickers*
--The Birds and the Bees of Erfworld--
"When two units' love stat reaches a certain level, as pre-determined by the DM, they spend some time with each other and 9 turns later a new unit pops sharing some, but not all, of the traits of each of the originating units...."
Ichthus

Postby Katana » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:20 am

Thats what you get for breaking the rules Parson...(*FU!)
Katana

Postby Oberon » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:58 am

Jallorn wrote:I just realized that it says he runs into the boundary, but not that it stops him. I dunno, maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Never mind.
It kinda seemed like it stopped him to me:
"And ran smack into the hex boundary, stopping cold."
Of course, left open is the possibility of a "just kidding" at the start of the next update. You know, kinda like how the RCC didn't have many units who could dance fight, and the next turn they all could dance fight.
moose o death wrote:good update, i liked this one, especially maggies "you could explode" line. light hearted exchanges like this always make me smile.
And Maggy is working directly off of a theme that Parson started, when he told her that Ansom might explode.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby moose o death » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:51 am

the words aren't what made me laugh, it was the interchange between the characters. she could have said he'd turn into a frog. or that he'd go bald. or his fingernails would all get painted rainbow. it was that half joking half warning, sure you can try, type retaliation that made me laugh.

i really don't think parson thought there could be an actual punishment, before that moment, that maybe he thought erfworld just wouldn't let it happen. that was probably the first time someone hinted breaking rules could come with punishments.

maggie saying something so extreme. so matter of factly to break his chain of thought so sharply, is excellent comedic timing. nothing is as funny as shattering the heroes confidence just as he gets ready to conquer the world. the second or so mental gears, grinding the gear change in the noisiest crash of teeth. from confident to startled shock. all for a joke. like i said best update yet.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions