Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby Salem » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:59 pm

0beron wrote:
bladestorm wrote:more modern version: Jack as the Scarecrow, Sizemore as the Lion, and Maggie as the Tinman? Leaving Parson as the Wizard?

Jack most certainly has a brain though, and always has. He may be emotionally damaged in ways, but he's sharp as a pin in ways other's just don't always understand. Sizemore also isn't cowardly persay, he just doesn't want to kill. He was more than prepared to face Jetstone and die, it was DOING killing that upset him.

But they had those things allllll along.

Also am I the only one who has this odd image of Olive dropping the hippie as she grows out of the 60s and becoming a yuppie on wallstreet all corporate ponytail chopped off? Anyone?

Edit: As for the whole natural counters thing, I would imagine turnamancy would be the best counter to Uncroaked, aside from any kind of healing if that works here on uncroaked. Causing those zombies to skip their turn or get stalled, means the entire stack loses strength for the eventual engagement.
Also I don't think there would ever be a natural counter to decryption unless it was another tool of the titans. I mean if one mancy could counter an entire army without upkeep cost that can feed its own ranks? That would have come up before. Frag. The. Mage.
"Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)!"
Salem
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:47 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby Shai_hulud » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:55 pm

Parson is the tin man, because he wants a heart.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby El_Chupacabra » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:57 pm

Just a couple of thoughts here:

That's a rather deep minefield for any opposing ground force to cross. Even if you have to cut the flower "Just Right", what's to stop Haffaton from "detonating" the field in defense?

I'm not entirely convinced Dorothy is as frail and helpless as she appears. I'm comparing her to the Navigators of Dune, in a sense; addicted to Spice and mutated by it, but still quite capable. Although her Signamancy appears to match Wanda, I don't quite believe that Olive is absolutely in control. Call it a hunch, I guess.

In any case, I still can't stand Olive and look forward to her fall. If she is fully in control, then I suspect this side has low maintenance costs because most units are either killed or kept "suspended" until needed.

I also suspect Haffaton is a "shell city", like the others -- little to no population, units are "suspended" until combat is initiated. Normally, I'd expect the capital city to have more forces, but if my thoughts are correct, this may be where invasion forces are trapped and then slowly wasted away. Any enemy capable of mounting an Alpha Strike then loses their main invasion force and is quickly defeated by whatever Haffaton's real response forces are.
El_Chupacabra
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby 0beron » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:03 pm

El_Chupacabra wrote:I'm not entirely convinced Dorothy is as frail and helpless as she appears. I'm comparing her to the Navigators of Dune, in a sense; addicted to Spice and mutated by it, but still quite capable. Although her Signamancy appears to match Wanda, I don't quite believe that Olive is absolutely in control. Call it a hunch, I guess.
Definitely possible. I suspect that she is weak as an individual, but she likely has a sharp mind. It may be dulled by Hippiemancy, but I'll bet there are some standing orders in place that prevent Olive from gaining control.

El_Chupacabra wrote:I also suspect Haffaton is a "shell city", like the others -- little to no population, units are "suspended" until combat is initiated.
Actually I'm inclined to think that this is Haffaton's actual "home", but much like Jetstone, they have taken another site as the formal Capital for strategic reasons.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 3192
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby wrecan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:24 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:Parson is the tin man, because he wants a heart.

What were the three qualities of Parson's Sword?

Leadership! (Brains)
Combat! (Heart)
Ruthlessness! (Bravery)

Hmmm....
wrecan
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 6:41 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby Nnelg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:15 pm

Zeku wrote:The reason that so many exploits remain for Parson to discover, is because this world just hasn't been around that long.

Not necessarily. Remember, there's no such thing as the internet on Erfworld. Nor books on strategy.

It takes a clever mind to find one such exploit, let alone several; and if there are no written records of these exploits to pass on...

LogicsFate wrote:Or maybe this is just a hippiemancers form of a Jail. A place where a persons only real jailer is themselves and their addiction. A nice little twist on a prison with freedom and peace in mind.

I really like this concept.

0beron wrote:The Wizard is Charlie!

:mrgreen: You know, that's so true on so many levels... Mind if I sig?

0beron wrote:I'll bet there are some standing orders in place that prevent Olive from gaining control.

Natural Thinkamancy includes Loyalty, which is supposed to preclude any sort of a coup attempt (or even plot).
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
User avatar
Nnelg
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:40 pm
Location: Internets the World of Webs

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby 0beron » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:25 pm

Nnelg wrote:
0beron wrote:The Wizard is Charlie!
:mrgreen: You know, that's so true on so many levels... Mind if I sig?

Be my guest :) This makes my day, because that would be the 2nd quote of mine that has been Sigged :) (the other one being Salem's "Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)" in reference to Cubbins.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 3192
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby Finn MacCool » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:Parson is the tin man, because he wants a heart.

i don't think that parson and other characters not appearing in IP(TSF) fit into the oz scheme since haffaton will (probably) fall within this story.
Finn MacCool
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby Housellama » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm telling you, Olive's not a Nice Lady. She's a smart, ruthless woman who knows how to use her powers to get exactly what she wants.

I really want Olive to survive. I want to see Olive and Parson go head to head. Or work together. Either way would be awesome.

A thought occurs to me, though. There might be more to Dorothy than there seems to be. It's a long shot, but it's possible that she's not the burnt out druggie she appears to be. I wouldn't put any quatloos on it, though.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
User avatar
Housellama
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby TheMutant » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:17 pm

I can't imagine Olive surviving both Jillian AND Wanda's desires for retribution. Could be interesting if she does pop up in modern times, though.
Join the Erflings fanart gallery on DeviantArt!

Sixty wrote:Obviously the mystery caster has no particular feelings one way or the other about Parson, he simply heard "cue the Benny Hill music" and gave chase, compelled to do so by forces outside his control.
User avatar
TheMutant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby Reclaimer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:36 pm

Housellama wrote:I'm telling you, Olive's not a Nice Lady. She's a smart, ruthless woman who knows how to use her powers to get exactly what she wants.


Yeah, she's a monster, a complete inversion of every Hippiemancer we've seen to date.

A thought occurs to me, though. There might be more to Dorothy than there seems to be. It's a long shot, but it's possible that she's not the burnt out druggie she appears to be. I wouldn't put any quatloos on it, though.


She literally grabbed Jill's (JILL'S) wrist and held it (successfully) against her will. There's definitely more to Dorothy than meets the eye.
User avatar
Reclaimer
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby Radagast » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:57 pm

I'm guessing that the ability to see unit type/level doesn't work for Jillian as long as she's a prisoner? It did work when she was a fugitive.
Radagast
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:25 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby MonteCristo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:58 pm

I am wondering if the overlady may indeed be a sort of puppet ruler of haffaton; Olive basically rendering her into a blissful state of inaction while she herself runs the show. The thought makes Olive quite frightening indeed.

I thought it was interesting to get the confirmation that Haffaton is a non-royal side. That would put an end to the theories that sides like Jetstone and Gobwinknob were spun-off from haffaton. Though it does make me wonder if Haffaton could have been what spurred the royal's treatment of non-royals. As it was said, when a non-royal side becomes too big their is a habit amongst the royals to gang up and beat them done. Could it be that the reason they do this is not just a "we are holier than thou" attitude, but because they fear another haffaton? It wouldn't make it right, but it might put an interesting spin on things.
User avatar
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:48 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby Oberon » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:32 pm

Zeroberon wrote:Not directly related, but does anyone else find it amusing how Rob finally introduces us to Haffaton's Ruler, a useless figure head controlled by her most powerful citizen....on the USA Election Day? :p
You seem to be assuming much from just a few words and a description of Dorothy. Dorothy knows she is the Overrlady, and that's at least a tiny indicator that she's in control. Because, you know, knowing is half the battle. :D
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby 0beron » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:42 pm

Oberon wrote:
Zeroberon wrote:Not directly related, but does anyone else find it amusing how Rob finally introduces us to Haffaton's Ruler, a useless figure head controlled by her most powerful citizen....on the USA Election Day? :p
You seem to be assuming much from just a few words and a description of Dorothy. Dorothy knows she is the Overrlady, and that's at least a tiny indicator that she's in control. Because, you know, knowing is half the battle. :D

Hahaha indeed, the more you know ;)
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 3192
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby StClair » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:56 pm

Nnelg wrote:
LogicsFate wrote:Or maybe this is just a hippiemancers form of a Jail. A place where a persons only real jailer is themselves and their addiction. A nice little twist on a prison with freedom and peace in mind.

I really like this concept.

Me too.
You can leave any time you want. But you won't.
StClair
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:36 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby Housellama » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:54 pm

Reclaimer wrote:
Housellama wrote:I'm telling you, Olive's not a Nice Lady. She's a smart, ruthless woman who knows how to use her powers to get exactly what she wants.


Yeah, she's a monster, a complete inversion of every Hippiemancer we've seen to date.

A thought occurs to me, though. There might be more to Dorothy than there seems to be. It's a long shot, but it's possible that she's not the burnt out druggie she appears to be. I wouldn't put any quatloos on it, though.


She literally grabbed Jill's (JILL'S) wrist and held it (successfully) against her will. There's definitely more to Dorothy than meets the eye.

Well, Jillian is a prisoner and Dorothy is the Overlady of the Side that holds her captive. Physical strength doesn't have to come into play at all. She could still be a blissed out junkie.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
User avatar
Housellama
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby Shai_hulud » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:07 pm

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/IPTSF_Text_39
It was the end of the dream. The end of the World of Jillian. The mountain erupted.

It was a kiss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Witch_of_the_North
She kisses Dorothy on the forehead, a magical act that serves to protect Dorothy on the journey, because "no one will dare injure a person who has been kissed by the Witch of the North". This statement is proven to be correct later in the book, when the sight of the shining mark left by the kiss prevents Dorothy from being harmed by the Winged Monkeys or the Wicked Witch of the West.
I propose that Wanda isn't one of the wicked witches at all!

Edit*
Must... make... dark side of the moon... reference.
This will due I suppose.
http://youtu.be/x_gwuWi4kPk
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby splexis » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:46 am

joosy wrote:Wow! Dorothy Parker of the Algonquian Roundtable is the Overlady of Haffaton! No? Dorothy Hamill then? No? ah well.. :)


Dorothy Gale.
splexis
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 050

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:06 am

Appropriately enough, as I read this update, I was eating too much of the most delicious chocolate ever, raspberry rooibos infused dark chocolate from "The Tea Room". It came in a pink box.
User avatar
Chit Rule Railroad
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:44 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 15 guests