Erfgame 3 (CLOSED) - Rules and Discussion

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Erfgame 3 (closed) - Rules and Discussion

Postby Exate » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Lord of Monies wrote:Looks like auditions are open again people!

Looking for a Titan. Spangely Elvis jacket not required, but does help.
It should really be noted that coming in at this point, when we're a dozen turns into the game and there are a lot of messages that have been sent back and forth, is not easy- particularly if you want to keep to a high level of flavor and roleplay. This job is not for the faint of heart, or the low on free time. I can't speak for the other players, but my collected PM history for this game comes to over 20,000 words. Even accounting for the quarter or so of that likely to be quotes, budgets, and so forth it's still a lot of information.

Kaed is great, by the way. If occasionally twitchy.
Last edited by Exate on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exate
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Exate wrote:Kaed is great, by the way. If occasionally twitchy.

Agreed.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:20 pm

Exate wrote:It should really be noted that coming in at this point, when we're a dozen turns into the game and there are a lot of messages that have been sent back and forth, is not easy- particularly if you want to keep to a high level of flavor and roleplay. This job is not for the faint of heart, or the low on free time. I can't speak for the other players, but my collected PM history for this game comes to over 20,000 words. Even accounting for the quarter or so of that likely to be quotes, budgets, and so forth it's still a lot of information.

Kaed is great, by the way. If occasionally twitchy.

Thank you!

I'm going to point out for you, though. Exate, of all the players you are the one that makes the most expansive replies to my updates, even more so that 0beron. It is rare that your non-budget sections are less than three long paragraphs. And I greatly enjoy working with you. The most frustrating thing for me though, is that I feel like I do you an injustice updating you while I'm on my phone - it has an exceedingly low arbitrary text limit for its browser, so I hate using it when I feel like there is a lot to say.

I suppose I could start splitting updates apart into multiple messages, but that feels awkward and cumbersome...
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Exate » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:55 pm

Kaed wrote:The most frustrating thing for me though, is that I feel like I do you an injustice updating you while I'm on my phone - it has an exceedingly low arbitrary text limit for its browser, so I hate using it when I feel like there is a lot to say.

I suppose I could start splitting updates apart into multiple messages, but that feels awkward and cumbersome...
That is pretty annoying- and multi-message spam would get awkward rather quickly. I suppose you can write multiple partial updates, save them as drafts, and stitch them together later on a proper computer... but that's just making things even more inconvenient and mixing in some delays for the sake of a clean final result. Maybe there's a better browser available for your phone, or a way to change the text limit? If all else fails, well, I'm sure you have plenty of other players clamoring for your attention that you can write phone updates for; I'll still be around if it takes a little longer to get back to me.

Anyway, glad to hear you're enjoying this as well.
Exate

Postby CroverusRaven » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:12 pm

If I was to be a co-Titan, I could probably help out with whichever players have the tendency to be the least complicated, at least until I worked out the inner workings of this game.
CroverusRaven

Postby Koliup » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:30 pm

CroverusRaven wrote:If I was to be a co-Titan, I could probably help out with whichever players have the tendency to be the least complicated, at least until I worked out the inner workings of this game.

Excellent. Shall I PM you my side's information?
Ho ho ho.
All systems nominal.
Koliup

Postby Kaed » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:32 pm

I haven't actually abandoned you Koliup, you're just 1-2 turns ahead of everyone. So we're playing catch up.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lord of Monies » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:37 pm

I feel like I take a while, but not because of long posts cuz I don't really do massive posts. Instead, I do a bit of back and forth. Though maybe I'm a special case, being a barbarian. I don't have all the major concerns you guys with cities have. Only got so many units after all. House is fun to talk to, though.
With the dawning of each new day, my evil machinations inch me closer to world domination. And also breakfast.
Lord of Monies

Postby 0beron » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:38 pm

Kaed wrote:Exate, of all the players you are the one that makes the most expansive replies to my updates, even more so that 0beron.

I sense an unspoken challenge :p
jk jk, I like my responses as they are.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Koliup » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:41 pm

Kaed wrote:I haven't actually abandoned you Koliup, you're just 1-2 turns ahead of everyone. So we're playing catch up.

I had a feeling that was the case.
All systems nominal.
Koliup

Postby Exate » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:13 pm

Was thinking on tunnels. This is mostly musing.

In the first book of the comic, here, it's said that there are marbits in the tunnels from the time that they can see the front of Ansom's column- which seems to be outside the actual city hex at that point. So how far does the extended tunnel complex of a city with a tunnel zone extend outward? As far as their full zone of control? Perhaps there are some hexes naturally equipped with tunnel zones, and you can move from hex to hex in those tunnels without coming to the surface at all as long as there are tunnel zones in all the hexes you're moving through? That would at least allow for more subterranean unit types, at least, instead of forcing them to the surface all the time. It also meshes with what we know of Faq, that it's accessible by air and tunnel- the tunnel part wouldn't work if there weren't mountains impassible to (most?) troops, but with tunnel complexes underneath their hexes.

Oh, and as long as I'm thinking on terrain and checking Book 1, there are apparently high mountains impassible even to fliers.
Exate

Postby 0beron » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Well Sizemore did say there were naturally occurring tunnels under GK city, so it makes sense that they can span multiple hexes and occur naturally in other mountain ranges too.

As for the High Mountains, we knew about them. My side Morlock Wells was suppose to actually be a HIGH Mountain side, because the rules used to just have a high penalty on them even for fliers, but Kaed noticed that and fixed it.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:59 am

0beron wrote: My side Morlock Wells was suppose to actually be a HIGH Mountain side, because the rules used to just have a high penalty on them even for fliers, but Kaed noticed that and fixed it.

Queen Victoria pops in her city up atop an intensely high mountain. The air is difficult to breathe, and there is no safe path down her mountain's side. She also can't get past any of the surrounding hexes without tunneling.

What will she do?
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:09 am

0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Exate » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:19 pm

They pop 'em pretty queer up there in the mountains...

I'm having a good time with this game, but it's a little disconcerting to realize that after five months we're still basically in the prologue phase. Not sure where you guys stand in terms of turns or resources, but I'm on turn eleven and it feels in many ways like I've hardly started playing. The part where we have interaction with one another, whether for politics or warfare (or more likely both, this being Erfworld) seems very far away.
Exate

Postby 0beron » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:26 pm

Well I got sped up a little bit, so I'm waiting in Day 16 for you folks to catch up. But I'm reaching a point where I am ready at least to TRY and find some of you.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lord of Monies » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:39 pm

I'm finishing my turn 11, and I've had quite a bit of action already. Exate, looking from my perspective, I would say you don't have it too bad. I've had some levels gained, some in myself, some in my caster, but I've also had complications. While dull, your scenario is also relatively simple. Don't knock that, I'd say.
With the dawning of each new day, my evil machinations inch me closer to world domination. And also breakfast.
Lord of Monies

Postby Safaquel » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:53 pm

Is Kaed going to permit a stealth entrance of a side that nobody knows is there?
Bets?
Safaquel

Postby Exate » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:17 pm

0beron wrote:Well I got sped up a little bit, so I'm waiting in Day 16 for you folks to catch up. But I'm reaching a point where I am ready at least to TRY and find some of you.
Turn 16? Titans, you must play like lightning. I suppose I've got most of what will probably happen in my next handful of turns mapped out, but even so- I can hardly imagine it all going off without a hitch, and it would have to in order to get up to Turn 16 in less than another couple months. Or Kaed and I could start sending each other several PMs a day; that would also do it.

Lord of Monies wrote:I'm finishing my turn 11, and I've had quite a bit of action already. Exate, looking from my perspective, I would say you don't have it too bad. I've had some levels gained, some in myself, some in my caster, but I've also had complications. While dull, your scenario is also relatively simple. Don't knock that, I'd say.
Dull? Certainly not! Nor is it overly simple, for that matter; you're far from the only one with complications. I'm just realizing how much more there is to this than we've already seen.

Safaquel wrote:Is Kaed going to permit a stealth entrance of a side that nobody knows is there?
Bets?
Stuff like that is only going to make him twitchier, the poor guy. He might let random people run some barbarians; he's doing that already. That said, this game has got to be a handful to run already so I wouldn't count on it.
Exate

Postby Kaed » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:21 pm

Safaquel wrote:Is Kaed going to permit a stealth entrance of a side that nobody knows is there?
Bets?

What? No no, never. Look.

I give my solemn oath that no further sides shall be added the game without notice.

See? Nothing to worry about.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games