Summer Update - 028

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Summer Update - 028

Postby balder » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:06 am

New one is up. See the news also.
balder

Re: Summer Update - 028

Postby Arkenputtyknife » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:11 am

Oh, now that's a nice piece of art. Lots of interesting detail.

But given that it's not a Jamie piece, I have to ask: How much of it is canonical?

Also, that tower top seems a little narrow for a trebuchet emplacement.
Grammar: It's not the law, it's just a good idea.
Arkenputtyknife

Postby balder » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:16 am

Arkenputtyknife wrote:Oh, now that's a nice piece of art. Lots of interesting detail.

But given that it's not a Jamie piece, I have to ask: How much of it is canonical?

Nothing in the fan art should be taken as canon. But Rykka did strive for accuracy. She and I decided the ledge they're on is a landing between flights of stairs up to the top of the main tower.
balder

Postby DunkelMentat » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:22 am

I have returned from my summer job teaching rock climbing in the New Mexican rocky mountains. The updates that went up while I was gone have been marvelous, really loved Don King.

Parson can get drunk! WOOO SPRING BREAK WOOO!!! I wonder if there is an equivalent to pot.
DunkelMentat

Postby Spot » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:40 am

I really like that picture of the group on the tower top.

Rykka bent the sky, and it looks cool.
I shamelessly stole my avatar from Cloudbreaker :D
Spot

Postby Rykka » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:48 am

balder wrote:
Arkenputtyknife wrote:Oh, now that's a nice piece of art. Lots of interesting detail.

Nothing in the fan art should be taken as canon. But Rykka did strive for accuracy. She and I decided the ledge they're on is a landing between flights of stairs up to the top of the main tower.

Hah! That was the first thing I realized upon inking it, which did prompt a discussion about it with Balder. Loving every little scrap of detail we get about the world as much as anyone here, I knew good and well that others would notice it right off the bat. (Which the very first poster did!) Thankfully, Balder saved me from scrapping the whole thing with his excellent suggestion of it being a walkway on the way to the tower. Thanks again Balder, for that, and the privilege of being able to submit it.

I know the city design is not canon, there is pretty much no way it could be, but that is how I see it in my head, which is the best I could hope to offer. I'm sure everyone see's the narration a little differently, I am honored to have been able to offer you a piece of my personal mind's eye of the Capital.

Rykka~
Rykka

Postby cloudbreaker » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:55 am

So Stuffamancers just imagine things and conjure them up, huh? I wonder what Sizemore can conjure up seeing as how Dirtamancy is a form of Stuffamancy. We have seen that he can make golems, but that seems to be a different processes. Hopefully we'll learn eventually. :)

Also, I was also wondering if the guest images were supposed to be canon, so it's good to have that cleared up too. Nice work Rykka. I really like that dwagon.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Jallorn » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:59 am

The Archons are subtle.

Who wants to bet Parson's gonna go back to the Magic Kingdom someday?
Jallorn

Postby BarGamer » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:59 am

Sizemore wrote:"The Casters who live there have endless arguments about things like that. Philosophy. Metaphysics. Nature. I go there when I can, to hear the great thinkers...and the not-so-great ones."

Magic Kingdom sounds a lot like the Forum. XD

Beautiful art in this update! Seeing that lava lake there makes me wonder what Parson could do to exploit it, besides making Marketing Department geeks fall in it while playing Doom. ;)
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby OneHugeTuck » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:23 am

Lava Golems!

Lava down the ramparts, like boiling oil.

Lava squirt gun units.

Lava lamps.
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Mr. Goodwraith » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:42 am

Nice update, good info, cool art. But I'm a little nonplussed: I was expecting at least a wee bit of reaction by Parson to getting stopped at the hex boundary in the last Update, along the lines of, "So do I have no move stat, or why can't I leave this hex? Is this temporary or permanent?!" Surely he didn't just shrug it off, say "Oh well, guess I'm stuck in the city," and start up the nearest stairwell?
Mr. Goodwraith

Postby moose o death » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:49 am

Mr. Goodwraith wrote:Nice update, good info, cool art. But I'm a little nonplussed: I was expecting at least a wee bit of reaction by Parson to getting stopped at the hex boundary in the last Update, along the lines of, "So do I have no move stat, or why can't I leave this hex? Is this temporary or permanent?!" Surely he didn't just shrug it off, say "Oh well, guess I'm stuck in the city," and start up the nearest stairwell?

so do you walk into many brickwalls? or did you learn after one? if it's solid it's solid. so rather than ruin a good picnic looking like he's an intellectually disabled warlord, he headed up top for a nice view and lunch with some workfriends.

one of the better arts, loved the fisheye, and the shading. this was clearly done in a different keye so am i to understand that if the artist submits full colour rob is actually converting to the red/sepia tone for the sake of consistancy?
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby GenuityX » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:53 am

I kinda agree with that, it does seem like we are missing a bit of monologue, and dialog. However getting shnockered is a perfectly acceptable reaction after realizing that you are in a surreal alternate world of which you have no means of escape, with the vast majority of people trying to kill you, your horrible new boss, and new comrades in arms. I would be surprised Parson didn't get blasted earlier, if it weren't for that whole entire "Everyone in this magic fantasy land trying kill me thing." :}
Check out my Art Hole at http://genuityx.deviantart.com/
GenuityX

Postby Rykka » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:15 am

moose o death wrote:one of the better arts, loved the fisheye, and the shading. this was clearly done in a different keye so am i to understand that if the artist submits full colour rob is actually converting to the red/sepia tone for the sake of consistancy?

It was originally done full color, and I changed to match the muted colors of the themed panels. I was doubly okay with that, as I really didn't like how the colouring came out on this. (Artists are always their worst critics, but still.) I tried something new, and it didn't quite work out like I'd hoped. Maybe I nitpick. Either way, I enjoyed making it though I have to say it was a completely terrifying experience. I love the characters dearly, and you never realize just how many little unique nuances there are until you have to replicate them. Is this nose shaped this way? What color is this belt buckle supposed to be? I made a few errors early on Balder was kind enough to point out so that I could fix them. I'm sure I made many more people will spot. For instance, I gave Sizemoore pants! I never noticed he doesn't wear pants before. (Which spurs to mind a really off colour jest about certain golem construction.) So that was fixed, as well as a few other things.

Thank you all for the kind words! They mean a lot to me.
Rykka

Postby moose o death » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:34 am

yeah i never noticed his lack of pants until i was making the parson day off thing in genuity's thread. which i should update...
there is a disturbing piece of reference art bascialy loooking at bogroll from sizemores ankle. and all the hairs that entails
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby cloudbreaker » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:59 am

moose o death wrote:there is a disturbing piece of reference art bascialy loooking at bogroll from sizemores ankle. and all the hairs that entails

I believe you are referring to this panel. :)
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Rykka » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:26 am

cloudbreaker wrote:
moose o death wrote:there is a disturbing piece of reference art bascialy loooking at bogroll from sizemores ankle. and all the hairs that entails

I believe you are referring to this panel. :)

Yes... I rather contentedly left out that little bit of detail. I hope you can... forgive me.
Rykka

Postby Arkenputtyknife » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:29 am

Rykka wrote:It was originally done full color, and I changed to match the muted colors of the themed panels. I was doubly okay with that, as I really didn't like how the colouring came out on this. (Artists are always their worst critics, but still.) I tried something new, and it didn't quite work out like I'd hoped. Maybe I nitpick.

To be honest, I think you're right. I downloaded the full version (from the Toolbox) and thought it would make a great desktop wallpaper, but somehow it didn't look as good as the sepia. The Update version was too low-res to use, so I ran some filters over the full version.

At 100% sepia filter, it looked kind of boring; the colors were too muted. There's a marvelous richness to the sepia in the Update version, particularly noticeable in the nearby dwagon. Cranking the sepia filter back to 65%, and then increasing the color saturation a bit made it more vivid and good for a wallpaper.

It's not the same, though. There's more color than in the Update version, and in particular the sky is still blue(ish), but I think it looks good.

It made me realize something. The rich sepia gives it a strange hellish quality that goes well with the lava lake and the barren hills. Maybe the problem wasn't that there was something wrong with the original; maybe it was just that the sepia matches the subject matter better.

Then again, I'm no artist, so who am I to say?
Grammar: It's not the law, it's just a good idea.
Arkenputtyknife

Postby moose o death » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:37 am

you saturated the colours in the sepia blend that's counter productive

if you want sepia tone desaturate first then run the sepia filter.
moose o death

Postby Rykka » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:45 am

I do like how the muted tones effected the lava, a lot. I will say that. It's been a long time since I colored anything like this though, so it was neat to toy with either way. I mostly do 3D art now. I considered trying to build the scene in 3D but I was not certain that would be acceptable. Plus, it likely would have taken more time than I had available.
Rykka

Next

Return to Reactions