Darkness Rising

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising

Postby CroverusRaven » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Donovan feels a strange sense of individuality grow within him and instead of taking dance fighting like his fellow heavy warriors, he becomes Beefier. His Combat score also goes down by 3 while his Defense increases the same amount. This is all to represent him embracing his inner tankyness. He has urges to "whump" things now.
CroverusRaven

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:28 pm

Seeing T. Coil's obvious displeasure at not being able to torture the Altruist Elves, Triage takes a moment to talk to put an arm around his shoulder and talk to him: "Trust me on this - they won't respond well to torture, and they should be on the verge of turning anyway after what the King in Green did to them. But Will's right - when we get Armolad, you can have all sorts of fun with her. Maybe the Elves will even join in some cathartic fun!"
WaterMonkey314

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:56 am

CroverusRaven wrote:Donovan feels a strange sense of individuality grow within him and instead of taking dance fighting like his fellow heavy warriors, he becomes Beefier. His Combat score also goes down by 3 while his Defense increases the same amount. This is all to represent him embracing his inner tankyness. He has urges to "whump" things now.

Hah. They may have an army.

But we have a Whump!
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:05 am

Exate wrote:
Swodaems wrote:We now have a large amount of units that need decisions about what to do with their AP. ... I would appreciate input about should be done.
I'd propose that the no-longer-zed archers bank their AP in anticipation of eventually moving toward an Inspiration build, which requires Leadership, Paragon, and Regent. It will reduce their effectiveness in the near term and some- or even most- of them are probably going to die before they get there, but being able to pop elite garrison and/or zed archers would be invaluable. They're only 4 XP away from becoming archer warlords, in any case, which would make the whole lot of them much more useful.

(IC)

Don't put all eggs in one basket. Since you expect the archers to die in droves and be less effective until some mythical Inspiration build, how about designating a fraction of them for Inspiration, while leaving the rest for combat duty and beefing their abilities right now? With some clever tactics, you can lose only some of those archers you've sacrificed for combat effectiveness, while protecting the longer term investment of the Inspiration build.

Exate wrote:
Swodaems wrote:My plan to bring them both in:
This seems workable. However, it does eat up our next three-four turns with this- what will our city be doing during that time? With the King in Green now aware of his forces' loss, it's vitally important that we move on to our next objective quickly, before he has a chance to fortify. I believe we've discussed previously how Rainbow Springs is a natural rallying point for units from a half-dozen Breatheairian cities; I would very much like to take it before they can use it as such and make it virtually impregnable.

A challenge!

I'll gladly go in an expedition to said city should we decide to undertake it. There's only so much one can hunt in defense.

(OOC)

Beside fortifying though, that city is also liable to be attacked from many sides. If we take it, we better be ready to hold it.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby ETheBoyce » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:38 am

0beron wrote:Vinny returns from toting his hay in order to assist the warriors with delivering one of the Gump's corpses to his workshop, and looks over at T. Coil somewhat anxiously. "Um, I have a bit of a favor to ask. You see, since I just leveled, I got a host of ideas about new things I can do, and I was about to start work on developing a new type of Golem. Unfortunately I don't have the Juice to complete it, so I was hoping you or one of the other casters could spare a Juice potion." Vinny explains somewhat nervously, on the one hand very much liking T. Coil's style for inflicting pain and tacking action, but on the other wary of the caster's apparently foul temper.

"That would be a waste of our limited resources, given that I can only assume and hope we will be launching a counterattack on an Elven City soon, all of our Juice Potions will likely go to Bill, his undead are always an invaluable addition and will be more useful in a siege where their range will allow them to shoot down enemy fliers and archers. Your golems will play a role in future battles, but they are not currently a priority."

Swodaems wrote:
ETheBoyce wrote:T. Coil was not pleased, yet again he was being prevented from properly practicing his art and craft. This was not much like the Tenebresia he had turned to, they were acting like their enemies! What would it matter if the Altruist Elves were broken!? Better they should feel the full weight of what T. Coil could do for when they were assisting him in the future! The Shockamancer growled as his mount descended the tower and headed out onto the battlefield to examine one of the fallen Gumptions. He would experiment on both its corpse as well as the Skull of the Bone Dwagon to see what differences their were between the two, why could he stun a walking tree but not a walking skeleton? He would also snag a normal corpse for further study if he could. In any event T. Coil would be far more sullen than he would otherwise be, he had Turned so easily because he thought this side had it's head on straight, but it was looking more and more he had exchanged one foolish side for another. The eventual choice of a Chief Caster would no doubt signal exactly the true colors of the King.

During T. Coil's experiments, Tod decides to sooth things over with T. Coil. In his own special way.

Tod walks over to where T. Coil is practicing his arts on a gumpton's corpse and says "Hello. I'm sorry if I've upset you with my decision to let Junetta and Triage handle the two most recent prisoners. The two of them made a compelling case as to why they should be allowed to have control of these two prisoners. However, they won't be in charge of all prisoners and you will get your opportunity in turn. In fact you may even get it tomorrow."

"I am planning an operation that intends to capture the warlord that fled tomorrow. I want you to be a part of it. Your skills will be of great use. Both in combat," in a suddenly darkened tone, " and in the proceedings afterwards."

"You see, Armolad is a level higher than either me or Yuri. If she had access to my bracer, she could boost her leadership bonus to 6. With the title of Chief Warlord, she would have a hex wide bonus of 3 as opposed to my 2. If she makes a bid for the title after she is turned, she could get it based on that advantage."

"I do not think that would be a good thing for our side. Armolad has already proved her ineptitude in battle merely by choosing to fight this one. Her mount had the move to let her scout this city and return to her troops with the information that they were severely outmatched here and should wait to gather a bigger force. I desire to remove the threat of her making a bid for chief warlord, however, I am loathe to croak her as she would be a better asset to our side alive."

"This is were you come in. I want you to use your skills to convince her that any ambitions she has towards my position would be a bad idea."

T. Coil laughs a long, cruel, bitter laugh in Tod's face.

"We both know that I am necessary for you capture plan, just as we both know I was already going to go on it, just as we both know I have been instrumental in every Tenebresian victory since I TURNED to this side. And yet at every opportunity you seek to hinder my advancement of our cause. Their case was neither important nor compelling, the Elves will be of little battlefield use unless we plan on sacrificing them like the King in Green and thus their main purpose will be post-engagement healing and helping me with Turning. If they do not approve of my methods then they will refuse to help, just as we both know Triage and Junetta would be most loathe to do! Turning them my way insures they are obedient which is all we need from them. As for the question of Armolad and who holds the Title of Chief Warlord, quite frankly I have little reason to care who it is, you both seem interchangeable at this point, though Armolad has thus far managed to not put us in a desperate position by convincing a major side to focus solely on us! If you are insecure in your position as Chief Warlord it is not because of Armolad's Bonus, it is because you are worried the King thinks you incompetent, which is a problem well worth considering."

(Tod's special way seems to have much to do with not getting what he wants <_<)

WaterMonkey314 wrote:Seeing T. Coil's obvious displeasure at not being able to torture the Altruist Elves, Triage takes a moment to talk to put an arm around his shoulder and talk to him: "Trust me on this - they won't respond well to torture, and they should be on the verge of turning anyway after what the King in Green did to them. But Will's right - when we get Armolad, you can have all sorts of fun with her. Maybe the Elves will even join in some cathartic fun!"

T. Coil's eyes narrow as he views Triage with poorly concealed contempt, "Responding well to torture? You have been spending far too much time with Junetta, it is not meant to be pleasant. The elves will almost certainly still be on the fence by the time I'm done with Armolad, I know what I'm doing."
ETheBoyce
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby The Colonel » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:07 am

"Coil, I may work with dead bodies, but you are a utter bastard, a total, complete and utter bastard, yes that is me talking as a professional caster. Tod has led us into victory through many battles, and thanks to his leadership, we're still alive he deserves all our respect. Now, Tod, Coil, I do not give a single crap about who's the "chief" so I will not comment on that. But as for the treatment of the elves, torture for absolutely no reason at all when you could get them to willingly join up is idiotic, so is croaking and in my case, raising uncroaked, so yes, I weigh in on Triage's no torture idea."
The Colonel

Postby ETheBoyce » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:21 am

"You think we have time to wait around while Junetta makes daisy-chain necklaces to woo those two too our side?! Breatheria is on the move against us, we've not been fighting their best, they've been distracted by Ix! Now it looks like, thanks to Tod I might add, that they intend to bring the full weight of their forces crashing down on our heads! We had some losses today, butthey will be nothing compared to what we'll lose when their main forces arrive! We need every resource at our disposal as quickly as we possibly can, and you all stand in the way because it makes you feel icky inside, pansies."
ETheBoyce
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:23 am

Vinny saunters off to begin his work, keeping his thoughts to himself regarding the wisdom of spending "precious resources" on units that decay as apposed to permanent ones.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:34 am

ETheBoyce wrote:"You think we have time to wait around while Junetta makes daisy-chain necklaces to woo those two too our side?! Breatheria is on the move against us, we've not been fighting their best, they've been distracted by Ix! Now it looks like, thanks to Tod I might add, that they intend to bring the full weight of their forces crashing down on our heads! We had some losses today, butthey will be nothing compared to what we'll lose when their main forces arrive! We need every resource at our disposal as quickly as we possibly can, and you all stand in the way because it makes you feel icky inside, pansies."

(IC)

I'd have jutted in defense of Tod's leadership, but since Bill did so already no need to press it further. I would say however, "Let's pray to the Titans that they bring their best against us. That would be a challenge at least, and surely even your knack for pain will be sated by the croakings you'll inflict on them soon enough."

T. Coil is by far the scariest unit in our roster. I fear that the great challenge, the great quarry I seek, will come from within. Which, truth be told, is exhilarating.

I then slink after Starcall; presumably we're out of earshot. "I may be just an Archer, but if some of my potions are useful to you, you're welcome to them. We'll need to stick together now. How are you for siege items?" *whisper* "Or Faradays?"

I then pay a visit to our welcoming party for the Alt. Elves. What do I see there?
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:36 am

Rolf rolls his eye to the sky in witnessing the latest caster "discussions". He troops over to Yuri to commiserate with his brother in being put in charge of being the mouthpiece of these bickering finger-wavers
" I both exult and grieve in your new found position, brother. Be strong in your position and wily in your manouvers be the action set in battle or or at the negotiation table. Remember the same rules apply, show no weakness and be merciless in pursit of theirs *smiles a vicious smile*. I have confidence in you.
If you'll excuse me I have set myself the task of seeing how our troops fared... especially those still wet behind the ears. BRICK !...has anyone seen Bri... Ah there you are ! And...not a scratch ! Coil neither ! Well done lad ! "
Werebiscuit

Postby 0beron » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:41 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:I then slink after Starcall; presumably we're out of earshot. "I may be just an Archer, but if some of my potions are useful to you, you're welcome to them. We'll need to stick together now. How are you for siege items?" *whisper* "Or Faradays?"

"Thank you, I intend to keep myself far from actual combat so I hope I'll never require a Healing Potion, but the gesture is much appreciated. As for you're requests, the most I could make for you is something to counter only the most basic Shockamancy...more advanced forms are beyond my comprehension." Vinny explains. "The siege tools however I might try my hand at..."

Marbit? What's the ruling on that? Can I make siege tools? Also, now that new rules are in effect, can you edit the start of the Rules thread to include the new Dollamancy?
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:46 am

I'd really like a Piece Maker, me. That's the Discworld ultramega crossbow that could level walls. Wielded by a Troll, but hey, I'm a heavy. With siege capacity, range and quick reflexes, I could bring the pain on elves even as they cower behind walls.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:47 am

"Oh goodness well THAT I know is beyond my capabilities, and will be for quite some time. All that's coming to mind for me at the moment are these peculiar tools that our melee could use to beat on the walls and gates."
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:56 am

0beron wrote:Marbit? What's the ruling on that? Can I make siege tools? Also, now that new rules are in effect, can you edit the start of the Rules thread to include the new Dollamancy?
There's still a few changes that need to be made, and the new rules aren't actually in effect until Armolad is resolved.

Dollamancers won't be able to make tools - technically, they take existing normal items and enchant them. But I'm considering adding Fabricate to the list of abilities, or allowing gobwins to be popped with that special. Final rules will be forthcoming.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:03 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:I then pay a visit to our welcoming party for the Alt. Elves. What do I see there?
You see Wandereus leaning against the door sill, arms crossed while he observes the corridor, half-listening to the conversation within, while Junetta and Triage comfort the elves.

Wandereus nods to you, but as you approach, doesn't shift to make way for you.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:12 am

Just as quickly as the idea of the handy tools came, it faded away again as Vinny realized that though effective, he hadn't the foggiest idea about how to actually make them. He decided to stick with what he did know, and retired to his workshop for the evening. Selecting from his wall of fabrics some thick burlap he had spun from particularly coarse hay, he cut broad sections and waved his wrench to turn them a deep indigo and ruddy color that reminded him of dried blood. He then set to work sewing a simple outfit of pants and long sleeve shirt. From the bale of hay he had just obtained, he speedily wove a straw hat, and set it on top of the manikin with the rest of the outfit. Lastly, he picked up the pieces of the shattered Gump, and began to whittle it down into a crude skeleton which he laid out on the workbench. Satisfied with his work thus far, he called it a night and went to join whatever festivities had begun.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:14 am

0beron wrote:"Oh goodness well THAT I know is beyond my capabilities, and will be for quite some time. All that's coming to mind for me at the moment are these peculiar tools that our melee could use to beat on the walls and gates."

I was hoping you could further enchant this bow here. Well, no hurry for now, learn your craft Caster. We will speak again. Until then, should you need life potions, I can spare some.

MarbitChow wrote:
BLANDCorporatio wrote:I then pay a visit to our welcoming party for the Alt. Elves. What do I see there?
You see Wandereus leaning against the door sill, arms crossed while he observes the corridor, half-listening to the conversation within, while Junetta and Triage comfort the elves.

Wandereus nods to you, but as you approach, doesn't shift to make way for you.

Nodding back, I say "How is the turning proceeding?"
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Exate » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:03 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:how about designating a fraction of them for Inspiration, while leaving the rest for combat duty and beefing their abilities right now?
There are only six ex-zed archers- if we cut it down much farther than that we won't be able to afford any casualties at all, and could lose the whole group at the drop of a hat. We have skeleton archers for disposables, and will (hopefully) have other archer infantry available as well. We could certainly only bank the AP on one or two, but I suspect that then they'll fall to someone who wants to croak the warlord unless we stick bodyguards on them.

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Beside fortifying though, that city is also liable to be attacked from many sides. If we take it, we better be ready to hold it.
Hopefully with the additional scouts that the capital will be popping soon, we'll be able to get a very good idea of where our enemies are moving and array ourselves accordingly- possibly intercepting their groups mid-movement or similar. Unfortunately, as they are a larger side which also possesses a Thinkamancer I suspect that we can rely on their intelligence on our movements being just as good- it would be a trivial exercise for them to swarm us with scouts. We might not get many chances.

Werebiscuit wrote:Rolf ... troops over to Yuri to commiserate with his brother in being put in charge of being the mouthpiece of these bickering finger-wavers
Yuri nods to Rolf. "Is large task. Not failing." He gives an equally nasty grin. "Nor mercying."
Exate
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:10 pm

Exate wrote:There are only six ex-zed archers- if we cut it down much farther than that we won't be able to afford any casualties at all, and could lose the whole group at the drop of a hat. We have skeleton archers for disposables, and will (hopefully) have other archer infantry available as well. We could certainly only bank the AP on one or two, but I suspect that then they'll fall to someone who wants to croak the warlord unless we stick bodyguards on them.

I'd find it odd if someone were to invest particular effort to croak the one or two zed archers with banked AP, especially if we keep those two out of harm's way.

The issue is simple. If you think that most of the Zed archers won't make it to level 4, then no need to gimp ourselves by pretending they will and bank AP on all of them. If we can make all six survive to L4+, then let's do so, surely.

As for your plan to attack, I'm all for bold moves. I mention in passing that holding that city will in itself be difficult, should we conquer it.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:16 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Nodding back, I say "How is the turning proceeding?"
Wandereus shrugs, and responds in a low voice, "They're still in shock. The archons were flying truce flags, and then they just opened fire. They know Charlie wouldn't risk his entire reputation for such a back-water city, so they realize that the King in Green must have hired him to fire on his own troops. Triage's actions to preserve them have obviously endeared him to them- you can tell by the way they each cling to one of his arms. I hope he doesn't need those arms to do any casting in the near future; I'm not sure they'll let go.

"They've already provided a bit of information, though. A number of stacks of Faerie reinforcements were massing in Rainbow Springs, and at least one or two stacks were already headed here to help reinforce the city when Armolad captured it. They're probably only a turn or two away. They keep several stacks in each city to patrol and clear out the surrounding terrain, since they do so more quickly and safely than regular troops."
MarbitChow

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games