Book 2 – Page 95

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby Smoker » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:29 am

I wonder if it wouldn't be worth having Jojo and Slately on a thinkagram and attempting to change portals while Parson was MID WAY THROUGH.
No, no. It hit him in the brain because it killed him. - Dante
User avatar
Smoker
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby 0beron » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:27 am

Yes the plan is to change the portal once Parson is already through. There is an element of the plan that we haven't been told yet, Charlie clearly has something in mind that will kill Parson, in Spacerock.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 3196
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby Oberon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:36 am

Keighvin1 wrote:Isn't the plan to change capitals after Parson goes through the portal?
If it is, then they are going about it wrong. Assuming that Trem can make the backup capitol sight the capitol in fact, then there should be no rush to change the portal, and in fact such a rush may end up causing the change before Parson comes through. Also, spending your men on taking a throne unnecessarily which may result in closing your trap before the prey enters seems foolish. Wouldn't you rather preserve your troops until you see your prey, and they make your glorious last rush against him, rather than spending your strength getting to the throne?

Since all of the above makes Slately's plan and action fail to make any logical sense at all, then it must be that Trem cannot change the capitol site from the far end (or anywhere in between). That's the only thing that makes the seemingly foolish actions of Slately appear to be rational.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby 0beron » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:44 am

Not neccessarily. Like I said, we don't know what it is that Charlie has planned to kill Parson with. If they wait, and let the city actually turn to GK, everyone else in the city gets Shackled and (presumably) Charlie's plan is no longer possible.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 3196
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby effataigus » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:31 am

Oberon wrote:
Keighvin1 wrote:Isn't the plan to change capitals after Parson goes through the portal?
If it is, then they are going about it wrong. Assuming that Trem can make the backup capitol sight the capitol in fact, then there should be no rush to change the portal, and in fact such a rush may end up causing the change before Parson comes through. Also, spending your men on taking a throne unnecessarily which may result in closing your trap before the prey enters seems foolish. Wouldn't you rather preserve your troops until you see your prey, and they make your glorious last rush against him, rather than spending your strength getting to the throne?

Since all of the above makes Slately's plan and action fail to make any logical sense at all, then it must be that Trem cannot change the capitol site from the far end (or anywhere in between). That's the only thing that makes the seemingly foolish actions of Slately appear to be rational.


My reading of the pages is that the capital city can only be changed by the overlord sitting on the current throne. That said, I'm very curious about the specifics of Charlie's plan. Thinking through the various options, the only way Charlie's current plan makes sense is if:
a. Charlie thinks Slately's column can take out Parson this turn or
b. Charlie has some way to bring force to bear on Parson this turn. I.e. before his subsequent turn where Parson would either be already dead or GK would have taken JS and the portal would have closed regardless.
c. ..? Charlie is afraid that Parson will pop back through the portal into TMK after the battle is won but before the city falls.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
User avatar
effataigus
 
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby Lamech » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:15 pm

0beron wrote:Yes the plan is to change the portal once Parson is already through. There is an element of the plan that we haven't been told yet, Charlie clearly has something in mind that will kill Parson, in Spacerock.

Could it be fire? Anyway, we also know that Charlie has archons in the area.
Lamech
 
Posts: 1451
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby drachefly » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:37 pm

effataigus wrote:My reading of the pages is that the capital city can only be changed by the overlord sitting on the current throne.


Could be any throne - the current one is the only one they can get Slately to this turn.
User avatar
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby effataigus » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:09 pm

drachefly wrote:
effataigus wrote:My reading of the pages is that the capital city can only be changed by the overlord sitting on the current throne.

Could be any throne - the current one is the only one they can get Slately to this turn.
Good point... and by the same token we can overturn my assertion that the current overlord has to be the one to do it (as opposed to heirs, CWLs, or warlords)... might be right or wrong, but sending Clonely would be a good choice here regardless since he is expendable.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
User avatar
effataigus
 
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby gameboy1234 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Lamech wrote:
0beron wrote:Yes the plan is to change the portal once Parson is already through. There is an element of the plan that we haven't been told yet, Charlie clearly has something in mind that will kill Parson, in Spacerock.

Could it be fire? Anyway, we also know that Charlie has archons in the area.


Previously Tramennis mentioned something about "30,000 pairs of matching manacles" if they all got captured. This implies Jetstone has that many troops left in the city. Charlie may figure that if Parson goes through alone, without Wanda, that Jetstone will be able to finish him off.

You'll also notice that Issac, the head thinkamancer, has just changed his position to exactly that: Parson goes through alone. I think there's something up. It's not just that Issac changed his mind about Maggie's message, I think Issac is working for Charlie, or at least being influenced by Charlie (or might even be Charlie.)
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

Avatar hoarked from PS238.
User avatar
gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 10:04 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby drachefly » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:22 pm

effataigus wrote:... and by the same token we can overturn my assertion that the current overlord has to be the one to do it (as opposed to heirs, CWLs, or warlords)... might be right or wrong, but sending Clonely would be a good choice here regardless since he is expendable.


I think it's pretty likely there's a warlord in Jetstone, so I wouldn't go that far.
User avatar
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby effataigus » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:05 pm

drachefly wrote:
effataigus wrote:... and by the same token we can overturn my assertion that the current overlord has to be the one to do it (as opposed to heirs, CWLs, or warlords)... might be right or wrong, but sending Clonely would be a good choice here regardless since he is expendable.


I think it's pretty likely there's a warlord in Jetstone, so I wouldn't go that far.

Oh certainly... just we don't have enough to conclude it has to be the Ruler. But yes, enough about what we don't know...
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
User avatar
effataigus
 
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby Radagast » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:50 pm

We also know Jetstone threw every single thing they had into this fight, they were desperate just to delay Ansom long enough for reinforcements to arrive. It seems likely that the city of Jetstone wouldn't be very heavily defended... and nobody knows just how capable Parson might be in a fight at this point. (Except Rob I guess hehe)

There would definitely be no casters present, so if Parson comes through with even just Wanda that's probably Game Over for Jetstone. We know unled casters are vulnerable to warlords, but she would have leadership plus the pliers...

P.S. Gameboy1234, it wasn't 30,000 pairs of matching manacles, it was 1500 pairs. So they have that plus however many heavies Ace is leading, but some are leaving with Trammenis.
Radagast
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:25 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby Radagast » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:53 pm

I just noticed something else... the warlord with fakely says that if they "do it right" then all of the soldiers will croak followed by the clone. That seems to hint a bit at what the plan is... but I'm not sure what every single one of them dying will accomplish?
Radagast
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:25 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby bladestorm » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:38 pm

Seems like Pessimistic Paul has seen the effects of fighting in the proper manner when opposed by Wanda and the pliers. Wave after wave shall fall, only to be risen amongst the enemies ranks. The first wedge shall fall and rise to battle the second, and once the second falls, they too will join the fallen and attack the leadership. Advancing upon the enemy with honour, nobility, and everything right only leads to death. Maybe once he is ecrypted, he can bond with Sylvia and gain a true appreciation of oblivion.
bladestorm
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby cheeseaholic » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:40 am

Radagast wrote:I just noticed something else... the warlord with fakely says that if they "do it right" then all of the soldiers will croak followed by the clone. That seems to hint a bit at what the plan is... but I'm not sure what every single one of them dying will accomplish?


Doing it wrong would be the king or warlord dying early. If the warlords fall early the bonus is gone and if the king dies they lose.
cheeseaholic
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby Lamech » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:57 am

Radagast wrote:There would definitely be no casters present, so if Parson comes through with even just Wanda that's probably Game Over for Jetstone. We know unled casters are vulnerable to warlords, but she would have leadership plus the pliers...

Wanda appears to be an exception. She likes to beat things in the face. And that was before she equipped the pliers of doom. I think sending a warlord against Wanda now will simply result in Wanda getting a free warlord. Better just to rain arrows down on her.
Lamech
 
Posts: 1451
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby Oberon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:36 am

Radagast wrote:I just noticed something else... the warlord with fakely says that if they "do it right" then all of the soldiers will croak followed by the clone. That seems to hint a bit at what the plan is... but I'm not sure what every single one of them dying will accomplish?
I think he's just pessimistically stating what he sees as his best case scenario. As cheeseaholic sort of said, they have a goal, and the king croaking early (by being foolishly in the front rank) would make achieving that goal impossible.

Perhaps Sir Pessimism feels that with the plan he has in mind that Slately will be able to sit on the throne and swap capitols and then be slain, as opposed to falling before that can happen.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby No one in particular » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:54 am

I just want to chip in that, since no one else edits the wiki, I've gone ahead and named him Lord Downer.

I can only hope that it gets made Canon in the next strip. :P
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
User avatar
No one in particular
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 pm
Location: Nowhere Atoll

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby drachefly » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:26 am

Considering how unlikely it is that they'll get in, convert, and then get out... yeah, I can't say he's even being pessimistic, just realistic.
User avatar
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 95

Postby Allsardane » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:28 pm

This last comic has all but confirmed for me that Ace will survive; a dollmancer is apparently needed for certain object modifications and there is no way that Trem is going to spend more than 5 or 10 updates wearing a brain for a crown.

With the portal closing before Wanda and Jack accompany, Parson is most likely going to go for a "capture not croak" assault in order to purchase some leverage in getting his butt back out of the fire. I suspect that he'll capture Ace and Clonely. Attempts to hostage negotiate wont work out well since he'll just shrug and disappear. Ace will probably make a "save cubbins and I'll do whatever you want" offer. Somehow I kind of expect this arc to end with Trem returning to save Parson from Charlie and us getting to see what exploits are available with a new group of casters.

Bonus scene: Parson finding the blaster and making a Storm Trooper comment due to his lack of ranged combat ability.
Allsardane
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:18 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests