Summer Update - 028

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Update - 028

Postby raphfrk » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:03 pm

warriortribble wrote:I'm guessing they're not afraid of Parson, but the new "creature type" he represents. They're probably guarding against an army of Parsons trying to swarm into their kingdom and kidnap the casters.

They may also have spread the rumour that non-casters are croaked if they entered the portal. The fact that Parson, who is a warlord, managed to return puts them all at risk.

It is possible that the standard policy is that they kill any non-caster who enters the portal.

Ofc, that doesn't explain why casters don't inform their respective Rulers of the fact.
Last edited by raphfrk on Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:32 pm

raphfrk wrote:It is possible that the standard policy is that they kill any non-caster who enters the portal.

Ofc, that doesn't explain why casters don't inform their respective Rulers of the fact.

Clearly casters have more complicated loyalties than other types of units.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Rykka » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:39 pm

DevilDan wrote:Clearly casters have more complicated loyalties than other types of units.

Agreed, which this page illustrates perfectly. http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F147.jpg
Rykka

Postby DevilDan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:15 pm

Rykka wrote:
DevilDan wrote:Clearly casters have more complicated loyalties than other types of units.

Agreed, which this page illustrates perfectly. http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F147.jpg

Yes, I was making an oblique reference to that character's continuously surprising behavior in particular.

And speaking of references: Very clever, SteveMB. There is a direct line between Zhuangzi and some of our own discussions about the reality of Erf.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby moose o death » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:54 pm

i like to believe i belong in the NOT so clever category...hell if my avatar showed up in the debates it'd be a given.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby LordDarksea » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:24 am

I've just realised that freshers week (or equivalent) at the universities is drawing nearer and its just made me think of the magic kingdom. I'm envisaging it as thousands of people flooding through the portals into the kingdom. Just wondering how many academics will be eyeing the new intake and thinking, 'can we treat that one like Parson...

;)
LordDarksea

Postby BarGamer » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:28 am

Mathamancer wrote:
BarGamer wrote:
Sizemore wrote:"The Casters who live there have endless arguments about things like that. Philosophy. Metaphysics. Nature. I go there when I can, to hear the great thinkers...and the not-so-great ones."

Magic Kingdom sounds a lot like the Forum. XD

Now let the debate begin (if it hasn't already) - are casters all connected to RL people, and is the magic kingdom actually the forum...or is it merely a reflection of forumspace, or is it actually forumspace where the casters are reflections of RL people?

Hrm... Maybe I should update my profile pic before Book 2 starts...
There we go! It's my Elf, Bartholomew Medivhson Gameron, eating a donut. XD

Edit: Unless you think my serious-faced sepia pic would fit in the comic better? Both of these were gift-art.
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:32 am

I've been waiting for a hint about whether uncroaked can be decrypted: at this point, I'm assuming it's too late. (Do all uncroaked basically turn to dust once they're recroaked, an immediate way of preventing serial uncroaking?)
DevilDan

Postby quindraco » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:37 pm

Is anyone else curious as to why/how Dollamancy can create Stuff, even though it's not a Stuffamancy discipline?
--
QuinDraco
quindraco

Postby cloudbreaker » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:54 pm

quindraco wrote:Is anyone else curious as to why/how Dollamancy can create Stuff, even though it's not a Stuffamancy discipline?

Not really. There are bound to be overlaps in abilities. And as far as we know, dollamancers only make non-magical clothing, so a magic picnic blanket may be beyond them anyway. Besides, the eyemancers could also make a magical item, the eyebooks, but they aren't stuffamancers either. And all casters can make scrolls.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby DevilDan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:44 pm

quindraco wrote:Is anyone else curious as to why/how Dollamancy can create Stuff, even though it's not a Stuffamancy discipline?

In a game-like world, livery is of particular significance; it's no surprise that this is a complex subject getting its own magics.

cloudbreaker wrote:And all casters can make scrolls.

Presumably.
DevilDan

Postby quindraco » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:15 pm

cloudbreaker wrote: Not really. There are bound to be overlaps in abilities. And as far as we know, dollamancers only make non-magical clothing, so a magic picnic blanket may be beyond them anyway. Besides, the eyemancers could also make a magical item, the eyebooks, but they aren't stuffamancers either. And all casters can make scrolls.

I'm satisfied that not all objects are Stuff, including eyebooks and scrolls. However, Sizemore's listed examples of Stuff were nonmagical: "Weapons, armor, tools...Stuffamancers just imagine it and conjure it." Now, let's see some example information about Dollamancy: "Twolls have the 'fabrication' special, which is a form of natural Dollamancy. Units with that ability can make small nonmagical items, usually armor and equipment." So, we know at least some armor is Stuff, but we also know Dollamancers can make armor.

None of this is necessarily inconsistent; for example, maybe Sizemore meant that magical armour is conjured by a Stuffamancer, while nonmagical is fabricated by a Dollamancer. I'm just saying it's *curious*, is all. When I look at the situation, I wonder what the explanation is.
--
QuinDraco
quindraco

Postby cloudbreaker » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:34 pm

DevilDan wrote:
cloudbreaker wrote:And all casters can make scrolls.

Presumably.

Ok, the canon section on the scroll page of the wiki changed after I made my last post. Now I don't know what to think...
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:50 pm

Playing dress-up is totally something you do with dolls, thus it falls under Dollamancy. QED.
MarbitChow

Postby Arky » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:23 pm

Aris Katsaris wrote:This update annoyed me. Its chief result is this: I no longer think that the creators planned or even really remember the magic system they wrote about: Sizemore talks about Stuffamancers as if he's not one of them.

Congratulations on inspiring a retcon 5 years after your original comment!
Arky
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby tale » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:59 pm

I wish I could see the original post to see what the difference is ... oh there it is:

http://web.archive.org/web/201012230838 ... 80%93-028/
tale
Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Previous

Return to Reactions