Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 – Page 96

Postby balder » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:09 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 – Page 96

Postby Thomas60 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:15 am

first always wanted to do that :)

Did a fair few searches with most combination of words I thought appropriate, no luck in finding the popular-culture reference of that red-haired bunny girl ninja in the bottom-right of panel 9
Last edited by Thomas60 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas60

Postby Sixty » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:23 am

Love the expression on the strong arm Carnymancer's tattoo when Jojo says to let Parson through.
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby BiSp2001 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:00 am

just awesome. totally worth it the waiting
BiSp2001

Postby Arky » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:16 am

If they let Parson through now, he'll be in before Slately has any chance of reaching the throne. Maybe Charlie's counting on the bickering continuing for a while. Unless the fire backfires on Scarlet's forces very quickly, or there's a bit of a deus ex machina tactic in store, I can't see how the Gobwin Knob forces on the ground could be defeated by Slately's remnants. There's just too many of them. Even getting Slately through the lines to the throne room seems like a pretty tricky step.
Arky

Postby joosy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:18 am

Thomas60 wrote:first always wanted to do that :)

Did a fair few searches with most combination of words I thought appropriate, no luck in finding the popular-culture reference of that red-haired bunny girl ninja in the bottom-right of panel 9

Saturday from Cucumber Quest:

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/characters/
joosy

Postby Thomas60 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:22 am

joosy wrote:
Thomas60 wrote:first always wanted to do that :)

Saturday from Cucumber Quest:

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/characters/

Other webcomics! :O
cheers
Thomas60

Postby Nnelg » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:05 am

What's Charlie's angle here? (If indeed it is Charlie who is directing Jojo's actions...) This seems odd, what does he stand to gain? Does he hope that Parson will get caught in the flames?

I'm beginning to suspect that it isn't Charlie who's hired Jojo, after all...
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby Smoker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:15 am

I'm pretty certain that the angle is to capture Parson inside Spacerock by changing the portals just after he arrives. This means that Charlie expects to be able to hold the city, either by supporting Jetstone or capturing it next turn.

Changing the portals at the right time will also ensure that Wanda and Jack cannot rejoin the fight.
No, no. It hit him in the brain because it killed him. - Dante
Smoker

Postby twhitt » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:26 am

Isn't the obvious change in Jojo's position a pretty strong indication that there's something wrong? It could be some sort of bluff, and it'd be reasonable for Parson to expect a bluff from a carnymancer, but Jojo's sudden willingness to see Parson go through the portal should be evidence enough to Parson that there's some ulterior motive. I forget; has Parson voiced any suspicion that Jojo's thrown in with his known enemies?

If he believes that Jojo is a rogue agent, acting of his own volition, then there's almost no way to account for his recent change of tune. But if Parson suspects that Jojo is somehow conspiring with one of his enemies, then this change of tune would indicate that it's not in fact very wise for Parson to proceed. If it is indeed what Jojo wants, it might be very bad indeed for Parson, and he should realize that.
twhitt

Postby Zeku » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:50 am

I see why this art is taking forever, there's just too many detail oriented scenes, again and again and again.

I mean it's nice that we're seeing all these varying perspectives on a partially destroyed castle, it's really quite impressive creatively. She's got a good sense of space and scale, and how to present it. But it will be better once this campaign is finally over, and we get back to casual discussions and small scenes.
Zeku

Postby Whispri » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:09 am

Big question here is: Where is the throne room in relation to Sylvia? If all Jetstone needs to do is screen for the King as he takes a hard right...
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby BurnTheErf » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:14 am

Love the page! Loads of action, and plenty of Sylvia. :D

twhitt wrote:Isn't the obvious change in Jojo's position a pretty strong indication that there's something wrong? It could be some sort of bluff, and it'd be reasonable for Parson to expect a bluff from a carnymancer, but Jojo's sudden willingness to see Parson go through the portal should be evidence enough to Parson that there's some ulterior motive. I forget; has Parson voiced any suspicion that Jojo's thrown in with his known enemies?

If he believes that Jojo is a rogue agent, acting of his own volition, then there's almost no way to account for his recent change of tune. But if Parson suspects that Jojo is somehow conspiring with one of his enemies, then this change of tune would indicate that it's not in fact very wise for Parson to proceed. If it is indeed what Jojo wants, it might be very bad indeed for Parson, and he should realize that.

I'd say that not knowing what the carnymancer really wants you to do is sort of the point of the discipline. It could always be a bluff, double bluff or misdirection. I don't think Parson will let Jojo's change of heart affect his plans too much, simply because he's fed up with people manipulating him...

Maybe Charlie is simply counting on the fires killing everyone except Cubbins when they get out of control, at which point he can simply waltz in.
BurnTheErf

Postby TheTuna » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:41 am

twhitt wrote:Isn't the obvious change in Jojo's position a pretty strong indication that there's something wrong? It could be some sort of bluff, and it'd be reasonable for Parson to expect a bluff from a carnymancer, but Jojo's sudden willingness to see Parson go through the portal should be evidence enough to Parson that there's some ulterior motive. I forget; has Parson voiced any suspicion that Jojo's thrown in with his known enemies?

I'm hoping that Parson doesn't stand around and ponder the question but rather simply says "Damn the torpedoes!" and plunges through.

If Sylvia gets killed because he, Wanda and Jack sat on their asses I'll be quite miffed.
TheTuna

Postby Lamech » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:58 am

Dude Sylvia can't die. She got fate armor. Anyway, it looks like Jetstone is trying to punch through a choke point versus area of effects. That hurts. Plus the city is on fire, they are going to need to charge through the flame. O_O

P.S. If the king has his view does that mean the front line is croaked?
Lamech

Postby ThisIsNotDan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:01 am

King Slately sounds like a grammar nazi O.o

It looks like a wall is going to fall on GK's leadership stack. That would probably cause them trouble.

My crazy theory: Parson enters the portal alone. Everybody dies, Parson is captured. Tramennis and Parson talk, Parson turns to Jetstone. That would create a greater balance of power between Charlescomm, Gobwin Knob, and Jetstone.
ThisIsNotDan

Postby Sixty » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:05 am

I believe Parson was informed that Jojo was a former unit of Uniroyal, so he has pretty good reason to believe he is an enemy.
Sixty

Postby shamelessmerc » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:24 am

Arky wrote:If they let Parson through now, he'll be in before Slately has any chance of reaching the throne. Maybe Charlie's counting on the bickering continuing for a while. Unless the fire backfires on Scarlet's forces very quickly, or there's a bit of a deus ex machina tactic in store, I can't see how the Gobwin Knob forces on the ground could be defeated by Slately's remnants. There's just too many of them. Even getting Slately through the lines to the throne room seems like a pretty tricky step.

Step 1) Jetstone eliminate command and control for GK forces (almost done)

Shorn of "Leadership" the GW stacks will auto-engage nearby troops without discrimination

Step 2) Multiple weak stacks of Jetstone troops perform a screening function for the "elite" stacks of higher level troops which push for the throne

Of course, we have already seen Step Zero which was a sacrificial decoy to eliminate the GK area-effect weapons, which otherwise could check-mate Slately by chance.

Without a Deus-ex-Author this would almost certainly work. Of course, Parson is about to walk through that door, and suddenly replace the "command leadership" that Jetstone are currently working so hard at removing.
shamelessmerc

Postby shamelessmerc » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:26 am

I can't remember: do Greens and Reds have a combo breath attack? Are the Reds igniting the Green's poison attack?
shamelessmerc

Postby Whispri » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:43 am

shamelessmerc wrote:I can't remember: do Greens and Reds have a combo breath attack? Are the Reds igniting the Green's poison attack?

Yes they do and yes they are, it's why Artemis hit the Greens first during her charge.
Whispri

Next

Return to Reactions