Book 2 – Page 97

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 97

Postby Zeromedeiros » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Lamech wrote:
Sieggy wrote:What bad luck? The dwagon croaked, not her!
But she can't croak because of Jeffs fate spell. Hmm... maybe she acts as a bad luck charm. She is okay, but fate takes out her allies out of spite/making someone pay.

Numbers are just 'borrowed'...she may be taking them from her allies closeby!
Zeromedeiros

Postby Cantripmancer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:48 pm

atalex wrote:What's the point of an acronym that has the same number of syllables as the phrase being abbreviated? It's like when DC Comics writers had other characters refer to Wonder Woman as "WW" which no one would ever do when speaking aloud as opposed to writing.

I would guess the point would be to cloak your meaning but still communicate by using a phrase or abbreviation that those in your circle are familiar with and those outside your circle are not. That said, "Be Cool" doesn't quite feel right, and we don't often see elements without a purpose/source. I'd say the most common "B.C." historical interpretation is Before Christ, but that doesn't fit, either. Do we know who the character that Zoltanna is restraining is? Maybe it's his name?
splexis wrote:More like Xeno's portal that you can only ever move half-way closer to.
That's hilarious. And sad.

I wonder what impact there would be on Jeftichew if he found out that his once-beloved, now-decrypted, fate-cheating Lady Sylvia was on the other side of the portal. Would he be reluctant to send Parson through, knowing that Sylvia's fate might assist in assuring Parson's survival, or would he rejoice, knowing that anyone around Sylvia has an extra big displacement target on them?

Excellent update. Now to await the next infusion of pink flower.
Cantripmancer

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:48 pm

cheeseaholic wrote:What if Parson checks for traps? If he decides to wait for something to happen will something (the portal closing) happen? Two actions determined by each other. Not the best example maybe but where I'm going with this is some actions can be dependant on each other, leading to a paradox.

And you're forgetting that Wanda and Jack went through the portal to look for Parson because he took too long.
I think people are forgetting about Fate. There are events that HAVE to happen, otherwise Predictamancy can't work. Wanda and Jack are supposed to be in the MK when Parson gets trapped. Therefore, enough time passes for them to allow them to become concerned, and exit the portal into the MK. Time between the MK and the capital syncs up again. From the time they enter the MK, Parson has a brief mental conversation, while Clonely regroups, converses with Charlie, and makes his way to the Throne Room. Time is now out-of-sync again, and as much time as required can pass before he actually reaches it. He's going to reach it before Parson crosses over, even though not much real time has passed in the MK between Jack & Wanda leaving the hex and Parson entering.

If I'm right, the portal will close directly behind Parson moments after he clears it. It doesn't matter how much time it takes for Clonely to make his way through the city - the events there are happening at a different rate of time than the ones in the MK. The hexes resync when something 'important' occurs.
MarbitChow

Postby joosy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:49 pm

effataigus wrote:Justice served "in the usual way?" Did Jefti just imply that he and his would follow Parson through the portal to gun him down?

I've always read that quote about dismounts with the idea that dismounting only counts as a fall if the mount that you're riding is flying as implicit. If mounting/dismounting a grounded unit counts as crossing zones, then how did Sylvia get on her dwagon off turn in a city? Not the only possible interpretation, but...

I think as long as the mount stays grounded then there is no punishment for mounting/dismounting.
joosy

Postby effataigus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:08 pm

joosy wrote:I think as long as the mount stays grounded then there is no punishment for mounting/dismounting.

Agreed... we don't really have a confirmation of this either way (never seen anyone injured from a forcible dismount of a grounded unit), but this seems most likely to me.

Re: B.C. my reading is that "B.C." are the initials of the kickstarter donate-er that donated enough to get himself represented as that guy. Since the guy's name was probably not at all a pun, it makes sense to use the initials rather than the name... hence letting us assume that his name could be punly. Be cool makes sense too, but, whatever it means, it seems to translate to "chill, bro."
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Cantripmancer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:11 pm

MarbitChow wrote:If I'm right, the portal will close directly behind Parson moments after he clears it. It doesn't matter how much time it takes for Clonely to make his way through the city - the events there are happening at a different rate of time than the ones in the MK. The hexes resync when something 'important' occurs.

Oh, irony. That we can envision and accept this concept, yet Balder/Xin still have to synch the timelines for the story to be followable/appealing.

EDIT: Hm, nvm on B.C. being the guy's name. That same character is later referred to as Sean (for his sake, I hope Parson steps through without too much debate, or that dookeda drum-roll is going to get mighty tiresome).
Last edited by Cantripmancer on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cantripmancer

Postby effataigus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:13 pm

Anyone understand the "dookeda" bit?
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby wrecan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Cantripmancer wrote:I wonder what impact there would be on Jeftichew if he found out that his once-beloved, now-decrypted, fate-cheating Lady Sylvia was on the other side of the portal. Would he be reluctant to send Parson through, knowing that Sylvia's fate might assist in assuring Parson's survival, or would he rejoice, knowing that anyone around Sylvia has an extra big displacement target on them?

I think Jeftichew probably knows decrypted Sylvia is there. I think he just believes that she is lost, transformed into Wanda's minion rather than the fiery personality he loved. That's because he hasn't met decrypted Sylvia and has not yet heard about Ossomer's turning. If he had, I'm pretty certain he'd go through the portal himself, kidnap Sylvia (if he could), and drag her to FAQ where his former compatriat Vanna could use all her juice to turn her.
wrecan

Postby wrecan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:17 pm

effataigus wrote:Anyone understand the "dookeda" bit?

It's the sound of a drum roll.
wrecan

Postby Zeromedeiros » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:26 pm

Cantripmancer wrote:I wonder what impact there would be on Jeftichew if he found out that his once-beloved, now-decrypted, fate-cheating Lady Sylvia was on the other side of the portal. Would he be reluctant to send Parson through, knowing that Sylvia's fate might assist in assuring Parson's survival, or would he rejoice, knowing that anyone around Sylvia has an extra big displacement target on them?

He may be sending Parson in...wishing that she 'borrows' his high rolls

[edit]Somebody may have just predicted that she would[/edit]
Zeromedeiros

Postby Cantripmancer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:28 pm

@Wrecan: I was more curious about how much Jeff understands the effect of whatever he imparted to Sylvia; does Parson stand a better chance with her or is there a chance that Parson's in more danger because of things being deflected from Sylvia?

So...famous Seans who are drummers?

Sean Lang has a passing resemblance to our dookedadaing reluctant.

Sean Kinney...not as much.

Others?
Cantripmancer

Postby Cantripmancer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:29 pm

Zeromedeiros wrote:
Cantripmancer wrote:He may be sending Parson in...wishing that she 'borrows' his high rolls

That's what I was thinking...do we know if Jeff knows that Sylvia's in Spacerock? After all, if Jeff's getting his info from Charlie, Charlie may have told or not told based on how he believed Jeff would react.
Cantripmancer

Postby Kizmet » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Playing catch up here. Do I have this right?
The Jetstone/Charlescomm plan is to move the capital to a new site... Thereby moving only the portal exit to a new city where Parson will have no forces. So in the Magic Kingdom the portal entrance will remain the same, but the exit will be into a trap? aaannnnd now I know why we spent so long going over the rules of being a captive/fugitive in the text updates.
Kizmet

Postby joosy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:43 pm

The caster Sean is modelled after a reader who won the chance to be drawn into the comic as one of the Kickstarter prizes. His claim to fame is that he is now immortalized in Erfworld.

Dookeda is just a sounds like a drumroll. It could double as derivative of the word dooky which is an immature reference to fecal matter.

B.C.? Jury is still out - could be someone's initials or something like 'bull crap" which is an acceptable Erfworld curse.
joosy

Postby joosy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:57 pm

Kizmet wrote:Playing catch up here. Do I have this right?
The Jetstone/Charlescomm plan is to move the capital to a new site... Thereby moving only the portal exit to a new city where Parson will have no forces. So in the Magic Kingdom the portal entrance will remain the same, but the exit will be into a trap? aaannnnd now I know why we spent so long going over the rules of being a captive/fugitive in the text updates.

Close. The plan is to change the portal AFTER Parson goes through but BEFORE he can get control of the city. If Parson goes through now, he can retreat back through the portal if necessary. Once he has control of the garrison, the portal will disappear BUT he will be safe in a city he controls and can rebuild.

Once Parson goes through and the portal is switched, then the portal will disappear behind him and he will be trapped facing whatever plan Charlie has given faux Slately to follow next. Keep in mind that Slately has to survive until he can at least get to the throne and make the switch. Once he does that he can croak - Tramennis will then be the ruler. That will keep the city from going barbarian. Parson then has to clear all enemy combatants from the courtyard (assuming the tower and dungeon are already cleared).

The reveal will probably be to see what Charlie has planned against Parson on this turn before he can clear out the courtyard. AND we will see what will happen to change Parson into a more ruthless warlord. I predict that Parson will be forced to order Sizemore or Jack to certain doom in order to save GK. Maybe then he will personally obtain the Ruthlessness and Leadership that his original Sword granted him.

Perhaps that will in the next chapter and will be resolved sometime next year :)
joosy

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:58 pm

MarbitChow wrote:Because the only condition in which the Portal closes is that both Parson steps through AND Slately reaches the throne, the two hexes can sync up after both outcomes are determined. Because Parson can immediately turn around and leave if Slately still heading to the Throne Room, Slately's success or failure HAS to be determined before Parson steps through.

A quibble with this: from the way Battlespace works, we already know Erfworld can take into account what people will choose, rather than everything they theoretically could choose. Given that Jetstone has no serious chance of reaching the Portal room (since they're not trying to), if Parson is cool-headed enough to respond to the burning garrison by talking with Antium rather than running back to face a firing squad in the MK, then he will not see anything in the Portal room that would cause him to immediately return to the MK. So Marbitchow could be correct about there not really being a race between Slately and Parson even if we see Slately make it to the throne room after Parson enters Spacerock.

On the other hand, cheeseaholic made a good point that Parson's delay caused Wanda to leave Spacerock, which has had a big impact on the hex. Slately's drive for the throne room probably wouldn't even have been feasible if Wanda were still in the hex, so it seems that the race is real.

By "justice will be served in the usual way", I think Jojo is saying that Parson will be shot down if he returns to the MK. And that could very well be true, since the Predictamancy is only that he will reach the Portal in this direction.

mortissimus wrote:Slately has options if he is sitting on the throne as the Garrison can not be captured while he or any other Jetstone unit is in it, alive and uncaptured. When Cubbins was the only one in there, he - and thus the burning of the Garrison - was important. Now Jetstone has sent in the reinforcements and all (including Ace, Cubbins and Slately) needs to be croaked, captured or driven away for GK to capture the city.

The only unit that matters as far as rushing Slately's action is Slately. If he is croaked on the throne, then Jetstone loses the ability to change the capital even if they still otherwise hold the Garrison.
Chit Rule Railroad
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby EthericSentinel » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:59 pm

Nakedkali wrote:What is meant by B.C. that our zatanna-alike is saying?

I'm surprised no one has said this yet: It could be short for "Because Charlie," as in, Zatanna-type knows that Jojo was hailed by Charlie but doesn't want others to catch on.
Jabberwocky wrote:Someone is disagreeing with someone else over an irrelevant bit of trivia on the Internet of all places. Honor demands blood.
EthericSentinel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Morni » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:00 pm

We don't know if the portal location.. are side oriented.. or capital site oriented.

1. Portal are side oriented
- MK will not know that the capital changed.
- Parson might charge into a capital with no friendlies

2. Portal are capital site oriented
- Parson might cross a portal.. that's vanished because it changed location.

I don't believe we have any information on this.
Morni

Postby zilfallon » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:29 pm

I don't think their plan is to trap Lord Hamster in the new capital. Tramennis will be there and I'm sure Charlie doesn't want to give Tramennis a chance to negotiate with Lord Hamster. I'm sure those 2 can work something out to screw Charlie :D
rkyeun wrote:Roses are red.
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

Postby name lips » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:38 pm

atalex wrote:
effataigus wrote:Justice served "in the usual way?" Did Jefti just imply that he and his would follow Parson through the portal to gun him down?

I took that to be Carnymancer code for "Just work with me. I've got something sneaky planned for him."

I thought he meant that if Parson truly thinks he's an exception to the rules, let him try to prove it, and Fate will punish him for his arrogance.
name lips

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions