Marbit Island - The Far Side of the World - COMPLETED

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Marbit Island - The Far Side of the World

Postby Nnelg » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:08 pm

LTDave wrote:Suggestions? Comments? Improvements that could be made? What would make this game better?

I've been watching this game from a distance, and I think the best thing you did to improve it is to do away with bushes and other renewable resources. Rapid expansion is something to be encouraged in this sort of game, while the renewing resources promoted a more sessile form of development. Hunting fulfills the player's natural thirst for bloodlust, and allows for more free time to be spent on whims.

The other significant changes you made were to remove automatic eating and befriending. Both of these unfairly favored established players over new ones (or players who recently restarted). I would suggest you might try to take this even further, and find ways to favor the first poster less.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Re: Marbit Island - The Far Side of the World

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:16 pm

Nnelg wrote:...I would suggest you might try to take this even further, and find ways to favor the first poster less.

I would argue against this on the basis of the Matrix games - incentivizing later posters leads to a standoff where no one posts until the last minute. From my casual observations, it didn't look like older players were as advantaged as in the first game.
WaterMonkey314

Re: Marbit Island - The Far Side of the World - COMPLETED

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:28 pm

Simply adding an initiative roll each round to see what order each marbit goes in would completely eliminate any time-related posting maneuvers. Roll d20 for each unit, order from high to low, and re-roll ties.
MarbitChow

Postby Nnelg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:28 am

But then you've got the problem of people having to wait to see what other people do before they post.

I was just thinking that the first poster shouldn't automatically be able to do whatever he wanted to do; later posters should have a chance to do things that wouldn't be possible after the first poster completes his orders.

For instance, say the bearer of the Helm of Destiny croaks. The first player will naturally try to grab it, but there should be at least a chance for other Marbits to pick it up before he can. So, maybe if a later poster decides to try and grab the Helm first. Then there'd be an initiative check, or whatever is needed to decide who gets to it first. (More mundane examples include eating food and using wood, or giving an NPC orders.)
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:38 am

Nnelg wrote:But then you've got the problem of people having to wait to see what other people do before they post.
I'm not sure I understand this, but I probably didn't explain my previous post sufficiently. The initiative roll occurs as part of LTDave's resolution of the turn. Everyone posts what they want to do, then, when LTDave figures out what happens, he rolls an initiate for every person that posted, and resolves it in that order. Players don't see their initiative roll until they see the results of their action.
MarbitChow

Postby Nnelg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:00 am

Oh. Well the effect there is pretty much the same as my suggestion, just done in a different way.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby LTDave » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:48 pm

Well, I have a title for MI3.
The rest is taking a bit of time.
LTDave

Previous

Return to Your Games