Book 2 – Page 98

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby Housellama » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:56 pm

Allsardane wrote:Hahaha, very nicely done Mr. Erf.

Count Downer -> Count down = 3....2....1...

He isn't just a cynic, he's also a new years ball signalling the arrival of a fate point.

3... First they will die
2... Then I will die
1... Then you will die

Perhaps one side effect of being spawned as a cynic is that you have just a touch of predictomancy in your blood in the same fashion that optimists have a little luckamancy?

Nah. He's just a very perceptive Warlord. He looked at the enemy, looked at his Liege's plan and came to a rather easy conclusion. TPK, in order of entry. You don't have to be a predictamancer to see that.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
User avatar
Housellama
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby TheMutant » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Nooo, Archer :C and Count Downer, too. (Love the name.)

Fantastic art, though! Gotta second Sylvia on the last panel.
Join the Erflings fanart gallery on DeviantArt!

Sixty wrote:Obviously the mystery caster has no particular feelings one way or the other about Parson, he simply heard "cue the Benny Hill music" and gave chase, compelled to do so by forces outside his control.
User avatar
TheMutant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby Kreistor » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:14 am

Shai_hulud wrote:
Housellama wrote:
Kreistor wrote:Ziggy played guitar, but Al kept walking into Sam Beckett's virtual reality spouting stats and probabilities from Ziggy, the computer. Definitely a Quantum Leap reference, not Bowie.

In a rare event, I gotta agree with Kreistor on this one. The question is... who's debt is being paid?
No, it's a Bowie reference too I think, as in Ziggy Stardust

Interesting try, but no, that's too much of a reach. He'd have made it far more obvious if that was the reference. Rob, at least, would have put "Stardust" into the quote.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
User avatar
Kreistor
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:59 pm
Location: K-W, Ontario, Canada

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby Finwe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:04 am

Is this perhaps a setup for a Slately/Parson showdown? It seems like it could be reasonably well matched. Slately probably has an advantage in level, plus a small accompaniment of infantry. Parson has a massive advantage in size/strength, and is carrying an armory's worth of protective magical items. Also, they're both headed into the tower; Parson to the portal room, Slately to the throne room.
Finwe
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:14 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby Shai_hulud » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:03 pm

Parson is headed to the dungeon, not the tower.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby Finwe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:35 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:Parson is headed to the dungeon, not the tower.


And you think the base of the tower doesn't have an entrance to the dungeon?
Finwe
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:14 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby Salem » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:08 pm

Is it just me or does anyone want the "Eat hot cameo" guy to be a regular character? I just want to see parson losing to Slatley then out of nowhere "CAMEO FROM ABOOOOOOVE"

Finwe wrote:
Shai_hulud wrote:Parson is headed to the dungeon, not the tower.


And you think the base of the tower doesn't have an entrance to the dungeon?

Isn't the throne room in the garison? I was pretty sure that was the case.


Kreistor wrote:
Shai_hulud wrote: No, it's a Bowie reference too I think, as in Ziggy Stardust

Interesting try, but no, that's too much of a reach. He'd have made it far more obvious if that was the reference. Rob, at least, would have put "Stardust" into the quote.


Ziggy says there's a 99% chance that this is not a Ziggy stardust reference. While the character in Quantum Leap might be, the way the dialogue is framed is just like it would be on said show. I don't think there's room for a Bowie reference. Now if there had been anything other than the name Ziggy to tie the reference to Bowie it might work but there's nothing substantial to tie it to ANY ziggy other than the super computer from Quantum Leap. While Mr. Baldur often makes double tripple or what have you references I doubt this is one of them. It would be like saying a cloaked figure named Sam, is clearly a reference to everyone whose ever been named Sam. Granted for all we know in the next scene it will pan over to a 1980's IBM with a Bowie wig on it. But until then I think we can really really rule out anything BUT said awesome TV show. I just don't think the fact he weilds a bow and turns to dust is anything more than chance.

Edit: I won't delete what I wrote cause that's just weird. But I will say Me=totally wrong. When I have to use "I think" clearly I've entered the point where it's nothing more than opinion and no one without word of god has a more valid opinion than anyone else. Sad face.
"Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)!"
Salem
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:47 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby Finwe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:20 pm

Salem wrote:Isn't the throne room in the garison? I was pretty sure that was the case.


The big building all the fighting's happening in is the garrison. The tower is/was inside of the garrison. If you look at page 75 (http://www.erfworld.com/category/book-2/page/26/) in the first panel you can see that the tower fell, crushing one of the garrison walls, but the first 2-3ish floors of the tower are still standing. You can see from the most recent page that the king is in fact heading towards the remains of the tower. It's possible the throne room isn't in the tower; we've only ever seen it from the inside so it's hard to say precisely where it is.
Finwe
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:14 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby effataigus » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:55 pm

Finwe wrote:
Salem wrote:Isn't the throne room in the garison? I was pretty sure that was the case.


The big building all the fighting's happening in is the garrison. The tower is/was inside of the garrison. If you look at page 75 (http://www.erfworld.com/category/book-2/page/26/) in the first panel you can see that the tower fell, crushing one of the garrison walls, but the first 2-3ish floors of the tower are still standing. You can see from the most recent page that the king is in fact heading towards the remains of the tower. It's possible the throne room isn't in the tower; we've only ever seen it from the inside so it's hard to say precisely where it is.

The first 2-3 floors are part of the atrium, IMO... or perhaps a different garrison subzone that Parson didn't mention (because GK didn't have one) called (by Antium) the "Inner walls."

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -08-28.jpg

Anyway, I believe the tower is the part that sticks above the former atrium roof, and that is no more.

GK is confined to the garrison, and they entered the throne room after the tower fell. Hence the throne room is in the garrison but not in the tower... that leaves the atrium or the dungeons. Given that he went upstairs from the atrium floor to get to the royal court:
http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -06-20.png
I conclude that the throne room is part of the atrium portion of the garrison... here I include the walls surrounding the atrium as part of the atrium.

This page also suggests that there is indeed a direct access between the tower stairs and the portal room:
http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -02-23.jpg
... or was.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
User avatar
effataigus
 
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby Tathar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:00 pm

I don't get it. It's as if those cloth golem giraffes are just there to stand around and look pretty. I don't think they've done a single thing so far in this fight.

And that's all I can think about from this update now.
Beeskee wrote:I was reluctant to assume Charlie was the Wizard, since it seems like if a butterfly farts in an unmapped hex, we're all ready to assume it's somehow part of Charlie's grand schemes to control the wind or whatever.
Tathar
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby bladestorm » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:14 pm

Tathar wrote:I don't get it. It's as if those cloth golem giraffes are just there to stand around and look pretty. I don't think they've done a single thing so far in this fight.

And that's all I can think about from this update now.

I think the G-Rafs are more for close combat, using their necks as a lever to slam down their horned heads upon opponents. They lack the grasping limbs of the LFN's and Battlebears, so they can't throw boulders for distance siege. They could have a higher perception radius due to height, ad maybe their necks double as ladders for scaling walls. Each of the doll shapes could have their own particular use in the battlefield, kinda like how different construction equipment all perform distinct jobs on a construction site. The G"Raf's would be like the cranes, performing much differently than the tanky LFN's (more bulk/hits, single prehensile limbs), the bouncy Tankaroos (higher mobility, slightly protective carrying pouch), or the more universal Battlebears. Now if only the dolls can merge together into one giant doll, Devastator style.
bladestorm
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby Tathar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:26 pm

bladestorm wrote:
Tathar wrote:I don't get it. It's as if those cloth golem giraffes are just there to stand around and look pretty. I don't think they've done a single thing so far in this fight.

And that's all I can think about from this update now.

I think the G-Rafs are more for close combat, using their necks as a lever to slam down their horned heads upon opponents. They lack the grasping limbs of the LFN's and Battlebears, so they can't throw boulders for distance siege. They could have a higher perception radius due to height, ad maybe their necks double as ladders for scaling walls. Each of the doll shapes could have their own particular use in the battlefield, kinda like how different construction equipment all perform distinct jobs on a construction site. The G"Raf's would be like the cranes, performing much differently than the tanky LFN's (more bulk/hits, single prehensile limbs), the bouncy Tankaroos (higher mobility, slightly protective carrying pouch), or the more universal Battlebears. Now if only the dolls can merge together into one giant doll, Devastator style.

You might be right. It's just that I've been coming off of playing Planetside 2, and the idea of people screaming to "nerf giraffe camo" makes a less-"OP" giraffe disappointing by comparison.
Beeskee wrote:I was reluctant to assume Charlie was the Wizard, since it seems like if a butterfly farts in an unmapped hex, we're all ready to assume it's somehow part of Charlie's grand schemes to control the wind or whatever.
Tathar
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby hajo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:49 pm

Tathar wrote:It's as if those cloth golem giraffes are just there to stand around and look pretty.
I don't think they've done a single thing so far in this fight.

They are digging, and throwing big boulders. Even some of these rocks already hit something on GK's side.
How is that not fighting for you ?
-HaJo

You Only Live Twice or so it seems,
One life 'till you croak, and one 'till you dust.
User avatar
hajo
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:03 pm
Location: DE

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby Oberon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:00 pm

Tathar wrote:I don't get it. It's as if those cloth golem giraffes are just there to stand around and burn pretty.
Fixed that for you.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby snow1wolf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:28 pm

huh too bad archer guy bit the dust it is only now looking at him that i realize why he looks so familar to me. He is modeled after Archer from fate/stay night might be what that guy was calling cameo about.
snow1wolf
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:54 am

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby Shai_hulud » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:44 am

effataigus wrote:GK is confined to the garrison, and they entered the throne room after the tower fell. Hence the throne room is in the garrison but not in the tower... that leaves the atrium or the dungeons. Given that he went upstairs from the atrium floor to get to the royal court:
http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -06-20.png
I conclude that the throne room is part of the atrium portion of the garrison... here I include the walls surrounding the atrium as part of the atrium.

This page also suggests that there is indeed a direct access between the tower stairs and the portal room:
http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -02-23.jpg
... or was.

Gobwin knob was able to enter the dungeon from the courtyard. I think all three zones count as part of the garrison.

Also really guys? I can't joke about the star trek guy turning into star dust? Really?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby teratorn » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:17 am

hajo wrote:They are digging, and throwing big boulders. Even some of these rocks already hit something on GK's side.
How is that not fighting for you ?


The giraffes are throwing big boulders? Giraffes will get into the fight now that their stack has been directly engaged.
Last edited by teratorn on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
teratorn
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 6:33 am
Location: Algarve

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby cheeseaholic » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:03 pm

Wait, if the hit was from luckamancy, doesn't that mean the doll got a good roll from someone else? Jetstone doesn't have a luckamancer. And if it was a repayment then someone else was given a bad luck roll? So if Sylvia has some sort of luckamancy going on it affects those around her then instead of just her. Directly I mean. Or else Charlie's doing some long range luckamancy to be sure Parson gets his ass in there.
cheeseaholic
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby Kreistor » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:26 pm

cheeseaholic wrote:Wait, if the hit was from luckamancy, doesn't that mean the doll got a good roll from someone else? Jetstone doesn't have a luckamancer. And if it was a repayment then someone else was given a bad luck roll? So if Sylvia has some sort of luckamancy going on it affects those around her then instead of just her. Directly I mean. Or else Charlie's doing some long range luckamancy to be sure Parson gets his ass in there.


Archer killed Artemis, who had a horrible miss. Archer then dies to an extremely lucky shot. Not such a reach to say that if there is such a thing as Luckamancy Karma, that these two events are related; however...

As a long time RPG player... you can always find a crit miss and hit to link together if you really want to. It's unavoidable in the statistics.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
User avatar
Kreistor
 
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:59 pm
Location: K-W, Ontario, Canada

Re: Book 2 – Page 98

Postby cheeseaholic » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Kreistor wrote:
Archer killed Artemis, who had a horrible miss. Archer then dies to an extremely lucky shot. Not such a reach to say that if there is such a thing as Luckamancy Karma, that these two events are related; however...

As a long time RPG player... you can always find a crit miss and hit to link together if you really want to. It's unavoidable in the statistics.


But one was a roll from Archer, while another one was a roll from an opposing doll. It's not one roll from archer being offset by another roll from archer; it's two different units. Why should archer get hit by the rock as opposed to a random infantry? Or the dwagon?
cheeseaholic
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:31 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests