Darkness Rising - Charlie's Mission #1

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising - Charlie's Mission #1

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Lol, MarbitChow, this is what happens when you don't keep us busy.

Did you click the link I provided? It shows a german text, where one can see context for "Strategie" and unterstuetzen being used together.

Ok, I also did a google search (Language Log's quick and dirty usage gauge method) for strategie unterstuetzen (17million results) and strategie foerdern (9 million results). It appears both options are valid and in use, with the different nuance, probably, being that unterstuetzen is more active support. Maybe.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Nnelg » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:25 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:It appears both options are valid and in use, with the different nuance, probably, being that unterstuetzen is more active support. Maybe.

I would PPWe that is the case, yes. Of course, remembering the original context, you could just be saying that you help in the "shutting up" part... :lol:
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:31 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Uhm, I mean, that is not very practical, regardless of how Heavy a unit is but whatever.
You want a crossbow that can blast apart walls in a world where units have entire limbs dissolved by acid crap and stand around waiting for further orders, and you're questioning the practicality of a heavy balloon club?

Nnelg wrote:I'll take it we're leaving a gobwin behind, then? (Unless Napier only has one Bodyguard...)
Napier is traveling in his own zeppelin.

Nnelg wrote:Also, Jaeger is unfamiliar with these "seconds". Are they similar to Phases, by chance? ;)

(OOC: Erfworld reference. Phases are a rules mechanic. Players are more knowledgeable of the rules mechanics behind Erfworld than the characters are. )

As to the German: please cut it out. Yuri speaks Language, although brokenly, and I've got to re-read his posts a couple of times to make sure I understand them. Keep the posts in English (although accented is acceptable), because I don't want to have to use Google Translate every time you speak.

The map will go up on Monday. 3 weeks of vacation (in theory) begins for me that day, so I should be able to get through all the additional image creation I need to do to start this thing off by then, plus get Nnelg's character image from him.
MarbitChow

Postby Nnelg » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:43 pm

MarbitChow wrote:As to the German: please cut it out. Yuri speaks Language, although brokenly, and I've got to re-read his posts a couple of times to make sure I understand them. Keep the posts in English (although accented is acceptable), because I don't want to have to use Google Translate every time you speak.

Erm, for the record I wasn't using full German in my IC speech. I'm intending to stick to (in)definite articles, pronouns, and the occasional cognate; so is that still okay?

MarbitChow wrote:plus get Nnelg's character image from him.

Right, I already know what I want so I can get it tomorrow. Although, it would help if you happened to have an image of a standard armored (and helmeted) infantryman without a weapon or shield handy.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:22 pm

Nnelg wrote:Erm, for the record I wasn't using full German in my IC speech. I'm intending to stick to (in)definite articles, pronouns, and the occasional cognate; so is that still okay?
Since I don't understand a word of German, no. If you want to use German sentence structure for the English words, and occasionally change the accent or pronunciation of English words to sound more germanic, that's fine, but please remember that the more difficult you make my job, the less fun I'm having running this. The moment the "not fun" quotient for me exceeds the "fun" quotient for running this, the game ends.

JAGEN:
"Bitte; perhaps ich should say dass Sie would undoubtedlich wish Ihr Shockamancer dem besten Leadershipbonus possible zu haben.
Natürlich, dass would mean Sie should trust the task zu keine Leadershipunit save ein von Ihr own."

This is how the the sentence appears to me:
"XXX; perhaps XXX should say XXX XXX would undoubted??? wish XXX Shockamancer XXX XXX Leadershipbonus possible XXX XXX.
XXX, XXX would mean XXX should trust the task XXX XXX Leadershipunit save XXX XXX XXX own."

More than half of the words you used were German or "German-ized". This makes it very difficult for me to parse. Given several re-reads, and the original context, I can make out what you're saying, but it's not trivial for me.
Let's take a look a Yuri example:

YURI:
"Is having thanks for Maude Queen, and is happy to help with existing. Elf breathers paying much for shorter peace than is wanted at endings is best of tales." The massive man laughs uproariously, his guttural chuckles echoing from the walls about him. "And if Ix is having more of things for giving or trading, Tenebris is keen with listening to friends' trouble. Is having many casters for workings, perhaps, or making other dealings in turns yet coming." With a wave of his meaty hand, Yuri dismisses that. "Only one more thing for talkings now, unless Queen is wishing for others. Tenebris must know of other sides near elfs for speakings, if Ix is knowing any."

Personally, I see absolutely no reason why a unit would be popped that doesn't speak perfect Language (= English). Yuri's verbal quirks add character, so I allowed them, and even made him Chief Diplomat. Jagen's speeches can do the same, but you must do so in a clearly-understandable manner.
MarbitChow

Postby Nnelg » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:53 pm

MarbitChow wrote:Since I don't understand a word of German, no. If you want to use German sentence structure for the English words, and occasionally change the accent or pronunciation of English words to sound more germanic, that's fine, but please remember that the more difficult you make my job, the less fun I'm having running this. The moment the "not fun" quotient for me exceeds the "fun" quotient for running this, the game ends.

Fair enough. I guess I'm just too used to the language to see how it would be hard to fill in the gaps for those who aren't.

However, it's kind of hard to do a German accent in text, since the biggest differences (w->v and v->f) make things even harder to read. Nor is German grammar different enough from English grammar to stick out well. So, I'd like to be able to use some German words. I'll try to keep myself to this list:
Spoiler: show
  • "Ich" = "I"
  • "Mich"/"Mir" = "Me"
  • "Mein" = "Mine"
  • "Sie"/"Sich" = "You" (Formal)
  • "Wir" = "We"
  • "Uns" = "Us"
  • "Der"/"Die"/"Das" = "The"
  • "Den"/"Dem" also = "The" (Yeah, yeah, I know.)
  • "Ein"/"Eine"/"Einer"/"Einen"/"Einem" = "A" (or "One")
  • "Nicht(s)" = "Not"
  • "Nein" = "No"
  • "Ja" = "Yes"
  • "Jawohl" = "Yes Sir" (or "Affirmative")
  • "Herr" = "Sir" (or "Lord")
  • "Frau" = "Madam" (or "Lady")
  • "Und" = "And"
  • "Oder" = "Or"
  • "Von" = "Of"
  • "-lich" = "-ly"
  • "-e"/"-en"/"-ens"/"-er"/"-em" = "*" (just ignore these)
  • "Bitte" = "Please" (also "Pardon Me" and "You're Welcome")
  • "Danke" = "Thank You"

So, my previous line:
"Bitte; perhaps ich should say dass Sie would undoubtedlich wish Ihr Shockamancer dem besten Leadershipbonus possible zu haben.
Natürlich, dass would mean Sie should trust the task zu keine Leadershipunit save ein von Ihr own."

Rewritten in a more anglicized style, would be:
"Bitte; perhaps Ich should say that Sie would undoubtedlich wish your Shockamancer dem besten Leadershipbonus possible to have.
Naturallich, this would mean Sie should trust the task to no Leadershipunit save ein von your own."

So, the non-English terms would be here, in red:
"Bitte; perhaps Ich should say that Sie would undoubtedlich wish your Shockamancer dem besten Leadershipbonus possible to have.
Naturallich, this would mean Sie should trust the task to no Leadershipunit save ein von your own."

Corrections:
"Excuse me; perhaps I should say that you would undoubtedly wish your Shockamancer the best Leadershipbonus possible to have.
Naturally, this would mean you should trust the task to no Leadershipunit save one of your own."

Is this good enough, or must I go better?
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:07 pm

Nnelg wrote:
MarbitChow wrote:Since I don't understand a word of German, no.
Is this good enough, or must I go better?
Please re-read my first sentence. I didn't ask for a compromise. I stated a requirement.
MarbitChow

Postby Nnelg » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:45 pm

MarbitChow wrote:Please re-read my first sentence. I didn't ask for a compromise. I stated a requirement.

Well, I'm not as good with words as Exate is, so I'm just trying my best. :P

Can I at least say "Herr", then? "Der"/"Die"/"Das" and "Ein", maybe?
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:17 am

Nnelg wrote:Can I at least say "Herr", then? "Der"/"Die"/"Das" and "Ein", maybe?
Sure.
MarbitChow

Postby WhirdCheese » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:21 pm

Wait. How are they going to run the reinforcements up. They'll be off-turn...
WhirdCheese

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:50 pm

You're on your own for the 1st fight. The reinforcements will catch the Iron Giant Dwarves if they plow right through you, but otherwise, they won't be involved at all until the 2nd fight.
MarbitChow

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:08 pm

Charlie Mission 1 - Turn 16 - Positioning

The zeppelins travel for a couple of turns, and bring you to the landing site, dropping you off and continuing on to the main staging ground. A Cirque dirtamancer sets up a hidey-hole for Chester, and informs him where it is, long before the Tenebris units enter the hex. The dirtamancer departs with Chester's zeppelin.

The path through this hex is full of twists and turns. The location you've been stationed at occurs deep in the hex, but still a long ways away from the hex border. The location was selected to be a significant distance from where the Iron Giant Dwarves will have found the scout, so hopefully they won't be expecting an ambush.

The Iron Giant Dwarves move at dawn; they're turn will begin at the start of Turn 17. Position yourselves.

Full view:

Zoomed view:

Notes:
On Turn 14, Junetta had more than enough juice to ward each of the units leaving Dis City.

The letter-number combination from the previous games is being replaced with a coordinate system. The square with the "(0,0)" sign doesn't really have a sign in it- that's simply a player reference post. Positive numbers go north and east, negative numbers south and west. So, for example, Zed-Too is in position (8,0), while Sekan is in (7,-2).

You can position yourselves anywhere within the zoomed-out map that you wish, although you should note that if you more forward much further from where you are, the units approaching from the East will be able to spot you while they're still in the lower portion of the map.

Cirque Du Folie (And Allies) Units
Zed-Too (BLANDCorporatio): Warrior {Level 1, 4xp} [5 Combat / 8 Defense / 22 Hits. 8 {8} Move. Assault. Special: Military, Well-protected, Beefy, Skilled] (Lesser Boost:2) (Ward-16)
Sekan (ETheBoyce): Archer {Level 1, 0 XP; 2 AP Unspent} [7 Combat / 3 Defense / 10 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Fire. Special: Military] (Ward-16)
Anex (Werebiscuit): Archer {Level 1, 4xp} [10 Combat / 3 Defense / 10 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Fire. Special: Military, Well-Armed, Skilled] (Lesser Boost:2) (Ward-16)
Thomas the Tank (bob the 6th): Spearman {Level 1, 0 XP} [ 8 Combat / 6 Defense / 20 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Heavy, Military] (Ward-16)
Blackbeard (WhirdCheese): Warrior {Level 1, 0 XP} [5 Combat / 11 Defense / 18 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Assault. Specials: Heavy, Military] (Ward-16)
Jaeger (Nnelg): Spearman {Level 1, 0 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Leadership, Military] (Ward-16)

Gobwin Spearman (GS-1) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
Gobwin Spearman (GS-2) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
Gobwin Spearman (GS-3) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
Gobwin Spearman (GS-4) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
Gobwin Spearman (GS-5) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
Gobwin Spearman (GS-6) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
Gobwin Spearman (GS-7) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
Gobwin Spearman (GS-8) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)

Chester Napier: Caster {Lvl 5} [ 15 Combat / 1 Defense / 20 Hits / 8 {8} Move. 40 Juice. Special: Shockamancy (Hoboken, Grounding, TooGeeWonCee, Ickypron, Hobobarbie)] Restore Juice (Restore 20) x2
Golem Guard 1 (BG-1) : Golem Warrior {Lvl 2} [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 66 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Bodyguard, Heavy]
Golem Guard 1 (BG-2) : Golem Warrior {Lvl 2} [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 66 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Bodyguard, Heavy]

Let me know if you have any questions.
MarbitChow

Postby CroverusRaven » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:43 pm

Sorry for my absence. I've been LARPing all weekend.

As for positioning, I think we should move to hit the enemy as they round the first corner, at the very least put me in a position where I have LOS so as soon as they appear I can hit them.
CroverusRaven

Postby Nnelg » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Hm, those alcoves in the trees give me an idea.

I think we can pull off a real ambush with this one.

We'd have two stacks: one would be the archers, the golems, and 3 goblwn spearmen for screening. The second would be our melee PCs and 4 gobwins to fill out the stack.

The last gobwin would be stationed around the corner. The enemy will be expecting a single scout in the hex, so lets give them one. If this gobwin isn't brought down by enemy archery, it should run back to warn the rest of us.

When the enemy rounds the corner, they should be able to see the ranged stack (which would shoot at them, of course). But the melee stack will be hidden in the alcoves. After the enemy melee spends one or two Rounds charging at our archers, they'll suddenly see our melee troops, which would charge them in the flank. If we're lucky, this will even leave the more vulnerable of the enemy troops (like archers) exposed to us.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby Nnelg » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:13 pm

Our troops would therefore be arranged as such:
Code: Select all
.....................................#
.gg..................................#
.Sg..............................g...#
.AG..................................#
.NG...................................
.##JT##ZB##gg##gg##..##..##...........
#############################.........

g - Gobwin Spearman
G - Golem Bodyguard
S - Sekan
A - Anex
N - Napier
J - Jaeger
T - Thomas
Z - Zed2
B - Blackbeard

That one lone gobwin is at (33,-2), Napier is at (1,-4).

When the melee troops go to form ranks, if we aren't just charging the enemy, the formation would be like this:
gg
TB
JZ
gg

EDIT:
The alternative to this plan is that we just set up a line across the narrower, north-south portion of the path.

Or, we could even try some skirmishing with the archers. Yeah, actually, I think I like that idea better...
Last edited by Nnelg on Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:16 pm

Nnelg wrote:The enemy will be expecting a single scout in the hex, so lets give them one.
I'm going to quickly point out 2 things:

1) The enemy will have already met the scout by the time they hit you.
The location was selected to be a significant distance from where the Iron Giant Dwarves will have found the scout, so hopefully they won't be expecting an ambush.

2) The 'alcoves' can grant cover, but do not block RLOS. They represent squares that are mostly filled by a tree, but (unlike a dungeon wall) do not grant full cover. They'll see everyone in the path once they round the bend.
MarbitChow

Postby Werebiscuit » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:37 pm

The natural chokepoint lies on the diagonal from (36,-3) to (30, -8) as far as I can see. Initial positioning of 4 gobwin spearmen at 37,-4 37,-5 and 38,-4 38,-5 should allow them to quickly deny passage when needed without them being spotted before the dwarves cross the 39-15 to 39,-20 line.

Chester and our ranged units should be strung along the (36-3) to (36, 2) line allowing them an opening volley (if 4 fire orders can be called a volley) which should concentrate on taking out any ranged enemy units. Once our lines are reached we present a rolling defensive retreat cycling melee units to the rear lines as their wards are broken. The caster and archers should AWAYS be BEHIND 2 lines of spears ( note it should only take max 3 spearmen to deny passage ~2 can hold the initial choke~ and we have 10 spearmen counting jaeger ) Zed and Black are sweepers picking off enemy units near death.
Sekan I suggest you spend on well armed and either well defended or skilled if you're allowed to spend those points.

I'm not sure how much control we have of the golems...are their positions to be considered to be next to chester ?

In doing the above we get the most bang for our wards.

Any other suggestions ?
Werebiscuit

Postby Nnelg » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:47 pm

MarbitChow wrote:1) The enemy will have already met the scout by the time they hit you.
The location was selected to be a significant distance from where the Iron Giant Dwarves will have found the scout, so hopefully they won't be expecting an ambush.

Oops, I must have missed that. :oops:

MarbitChow wrote:2) The 'alcoves' can grant cover, but do not block RLOS. They represent squares that are mostly filled by a tree, but (unlike a dungeon wall) do not grant full cover. They'll see everyone in the path once they round the bend.

Oh, ok then.

In that case, we can scrap that plan.

New plan, then:

We set up a line across the North-South corridor. Like so:
.........#
..Z.SANG.#
#.BTggJG.#
#.gggggg.#
#........#

Depending on how fast the giant dwarves are, we can take one, maybe two shots from this position. Then we start falling back to a secondary position along the E-W path:
###########
##..##..##.
...NJg.....
...GGg.....
...Agg.....
...Sgg.....
....Tg.....
....Zg.....
..##.B##..#
###########

Anyways, the brunt of the fighting will be done by Gobwins. Since the PCs are the only ones with true freedom of movement, the job of Thomas, Zed2, and Blackbeard will be to fill gaps in the line as they appear. (EDIT: and also to attack "Targets of Opportunity", such as exposed archers and nearly-dead units.)

Anyways, so the stacking order would be:

1: Jaeger, Napier, and the six front-line gobwins
2: The rest of the PCs and gobwins
3: The Golem Bodyguards

Units from stack 2 (and possibly 3) will be changing their stacking "on the fly" as needed (mostly it'll be the melee PCs moving into newly-opened slots in stack 1). Jaeger will be delaying his action to the last possible moment each round, to ensure he's always available for a Regroup action.
Last edited by Nnelg on Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby Nnelg » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Werebiscuit wrote:The natural chokepoint lies on the diagonal from (36,-3) to (30, -8) as far as I can see.

The problem with a diagonal chokepoint is that units (and attacks) can slip through the diagonal.

Werebiscuit wrote:( note it should only take max 3 spearmen to deny passage ~2 can hold the initial choke~ and we have 10 spearmen counting jaeger )

The problem with setting up a dispersed line like that is that enemy archers can easily concentrate fire and pick open a hole in it.

Werebiscuit wrote:Once our lines are reached we present a rolling defensive retreat cycling melee units to the rear lines as their wards are broken.

Under the new rules, this will be very difficult. We can only order movement by stack, not by unit, and every time we want to change the stacking order (or formation, I believe), Jaeger has to spend an action.

However, we could still kick wounded gobwins out of the stack. Unled, they'll fall back behind our lines (out of melee range). Although, then they'd be exposed to archery...

Werebiscuit wrote:Sekan I suggest you spend on well armed and either well defended or skilled if you're allowed to spend those points.

Well, actually we could use more archers with Leadership; or if he wants to take Heavy, that's fine too.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby bob the 6th » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:52 pm

The thing I wonder about is if they have any archers. If they don't, we could just make a 6 then 3 wall of melee(I don't think we can use the goloms), with Thomas, Z2, and black beard taking spots in the front line.
so like:
g g g
b g t g g z

then jager standing back leading the archers, casters, and goloms. The front should be stacked by section of the wall(so T, Z2, B, and 3 goblins, and then 3 goblins on their own.)
this would lets us pull back the wall easily,with the back being able to move about to block gabs that appear.
bob the 6th

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games