Darkness Rising - Charlie's Mission #1

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising - Charlie's Mission #1

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:32 am

Nnelg wrote:
BLANDCorporatio wrote:That clown has a burger shield that's bigger and better than this piece of garbage that I'm carrying. Hmm, can I have a cheeseburger too?

Since I was bored, I went ahead and put this together:

(Link in case the image doesn't show properly...)

Meh, sadly it'll probably be lost in the thread before those interested see it. :?

INVALID SERVER NAME
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Nnelg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:14 pm

Werebiscuit wrote:ok not every gobwin gets his +1 however it does limit exposure to the enemy. Especially if both groups move in one towards the center and exploit adjacency stopping movement. Then we get more double coverage.

You're still exposing both to the enemy at the same time, though. I fail to see what advantage this system has over my suggestion:
Nnelg wrote:So, the disposition:
Code: Select all
Initial:
...SAGNg....
...ZgGJggg..
#.g##BT##gg#
############

Stage 1:
############
.##..##..##.
.........g..
........g...
.....T...g..
....AZB.g...
....SGN..g..
....gG.Jg...
#.g##..##..#
############

Stage 2:
############
.##..##..##.
.......g....
........g...
.....T.g....
....AZB.g...
....SGNg....
....gG.Jg...
#.g##..##..#
############

All of those gobwins on the line are in one stack. They all have Jaeger's leadership bonus, and they all have mutual screening from enemy fire. They stretch across the entire path, blocking any attempt to pass.

And they actually manage to achieve an effective rolling defence, since the front-rank gobwins in stage 1 are the back-rank gobwins in stage 2. (Marbit said he wouldn't screw us over with NPC movement. I'm going to trust that this'll be the case here, too.)

EDIT:
BLANDCorporatio wrote:INVALID SERVER NAME

Is that your reaction to the picture, or an actual error you got? :?

If it's the latter, try a different computer or browser. There's historically been some problems with this image hosting site in the past.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:24 pm

That was the message I saw. Ah, I see. Dang browser problems will never go away.

Anyway, for some reason I'm seeing the new Zed-2 image. I like it. Can we have it as canon? Hopefully not cannon-fodder?
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Nnelg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:58 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Anyway, for some reason I'm seeing the new Zed-2 image. I like it. Can we have it as canon? Hopefully not cannon-fodder?

Heh, I think it's a tradition or something for wandering mercenaries to pick up stuff from the armies the fight alongside (and sometimes against), anyways...

We could certainly start an in-game tradition, at least. ;)
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:07 pm

Charlie Mission - Scout Info

Updated player images:

Also, it finally dawned on me that, since the scout will die some distance away from you, you'll get details (at least visible make-up) of the incoming Iron Giant Dwarves, and you'll have time to adjust your positioning based on that information. In order to assist you, I've included the visible composition of the in-bound units:

Spoiler: show
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Oh lovely. I get sent to foreign lands on a suicide mission, only to die at the hands of an avenging sausage fest. Where's the Black Widow?

Wait, is that a Cheeseburger shield I'm having now? Life is wonderful!
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Nnelg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:56 pm

MarbitChow wrote:Also, it finally dawned on me that, since the scout will die some distance away from you, you'll get details (at least visible make-up) of the incoming Iron Giant Dwarves, and you'll have time to adjust your positioning based on that information. In order to assist you, I've included the visible composition of the in-bound units:

Heh, I was actually expecting to see this guy:

Anyways, I don't see why we're still arguing about tactics. With Napier, this is going to be simple. (I wouldn't be surprised if half of the enemies die in his opening shot.)

The only important bit is really that we have a line of gobwins across the path. This much, at least, we agree on. The exact details will probably get washed away in the tide of battle, anyways.

So, Oberst (Colonel) Jäger goes over the plan with the troops:

"Die battle here will be brief. First we lay in wait on die southern side of die path. When die enemy rounds die bend, Herr Napier shall fire his most destructive spell against them. Die Gobwins then spread out to block the path. When I give die signal, die Gobwins in front fall back, und switch places wit die Gobwins in rear.

Napier should focus on blasting as many unwounded units as possible each round, letting die rest of us finish off die wounded ones. All others must be ready to fill a gap in die line, should one appear, but can otherwise act at their own discretion.

Die enemy is coming. Time to make Herr Creeperum proud, Landsknechte*."
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby ETheBoyce » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:38 pm

So the Shockamancer can potentially kill like half the enemy with one spell assuming they remain in that formation. He should do so <_<
ETheBoyce
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:39 pm

Bad idea. Haven't you seen that film?! Hosing 'im with lightning only made him more pissed.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby CroverusRaven » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Napier chuckles, his laugh begins to stretch out but he coughs, keeping it under control so he can speak.

"The plan is marvelous. Surely you are a credit to your side. Let's just hope your score in this world isn't Fated to be low. Low credit scores are a killer."

He cackles almost maniacally, nodding as Jäger draws out the plan.

"I can't wait to see the look on their faces when their little stack goes Ka-Blooey! It'll be a real gas! Tiny, Gigantor, keep up with me now you simpletons."

He scowls briefly, a very different expression than the ear-to-ear grin he's been sporting this whole time. The scowl looked like a Shockamancy spell in its intensity, but it's quickly replaced by the wide grin with Chester's too-perfect teeth. He twirls his cane as the group awaits the arrival of the enemy.
CroverusRaven

Postby Nnelg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:04 pm

So, here's my suggested positioning/stacking:
(2,-4) Zed-Too (BLANDCorporatio): Warrior {Level 1, 4xp} [5 Combat / 8 Defense / 22 Hits. 8 {8} Move. Assault. Special: Military, Well-protected, Beefy, Skilled] (Lesser Boost:2) (Ward-16)
(1,-3) Sekan (ETheBoyce): Archer {Level 1, 0 XP; 2 AP Unspent} [7 Combat / 3 Defense / 10 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Fire. Special: Military] (Ward-16)
(2,-3) Anex (Werebiscuit): Archer {Level 1, 4xp} [10 Combat / 3 Defense / 10 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Fire. Special: Military, Well-Armed, Skilled] (Lesser Boost:2) (Ward-16)
(-1,-5) Thomas the Tank (bob the 6th): Spearman {Level 1, 0 XP} [ 8 Combat / 6 Defense / 20 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Heavy, Military] (Ward-16)
(1,-4) Blackbeard (WhirdCheese): Warrior {Level 1, 0 XP} [5 Combat / 11 Defense / 18 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Assault. Specials: Heavy, Military] (Ward-16)
(4,-4) Jaeger (Nnelg): Spearman {Level 1, 0 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Leadership, Military] (Ward-16)

(0,-4) Gobwin Spearman (GS-1) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
(0,-5) Gobwin Spearman (GS-2) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
(3,-5) Gobwin Spearman (GS-3) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
(4,-5) Gobwin Spearman (GS-4) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
(5,-4) Gobwin Spearman (GS-5) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
(6,-4) Gobwin Spearman (GS-6) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
(7,-5) Gobwin Spearman (GS-7) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
(8,-5) Gobwin Spearman (GS-8) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)

(4,-3) Chester Napier: Caster {Lvl 5} [ 15 Combat / 1 Defense / 20 Hits / 8 {8} Move. 40 Juice. Special: Shockamancy (Hoboken, Grounding, TooGeeWonCee, Ickypron, Hobobarbie)] Restore Juice (Restore 20) x2
(3,-3) Golem Guard 1 (BG-1) : Golem Warrior {Lvl 2} [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 66 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Bodyguard, Heavy]
(3,-4) Golem Guard 1 (BG-2) : Golem Warrior {Lvl 2} [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 66 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Bodyguard, Heavy]

Stack 1:
Jaeger
Napier
6 Gobwins

Stack 2:
Anex
Sekan
Zed2
Blackbeard
2 Golems

Stack 3:
Thomas
2 Gobwins

So, the initial formation should look like this:
...SAGN.....
..gBZGJgg...
#Tg##gg##gg#
############

The line of gobwins, when extended, would look like this:
############
.##..##..##.
.........g..
.....g..g...
....Tg...g..
...SAZB.g...
.....GN..g..
.....G.Jg...
#..##..##..#
############

And Jaeger can spend a regroup action to assign a new formation, rolling the line back like so:
############
.##..##..##.
.......g....
.....g..g...
....Tg.g....
...SAZB.g...
....G..g....
....GNJ.g...
#..##..##..#
############

(In the last two cases, the exact position of PCs is up to their players.)

The Golems are in a different Squad than Napier is, but that's ok since the only other units in that Squad are PCs (so we aren't sacrificing any flexibility). The last two gobwins are in a stack with Thomas, who has full command over them. (So, we have the advantage of two stacks of gobwins if necessary. And Thomas can always grab more Gobwins for his stack by spending a regroup action.)

Other than the line of gobwins, I see no reason why this battle needs to be micromanaged by a single person, so every player should just play his character as he believes is best. (As long as you don't get in the way of the line's maneuvering!)
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby ETheBoyce » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:34 pm

Why are 2 of our 3 ranged attackers not in the stack with leadership? You need to worry less about our initial formation and far more about making sure our enemies get a quick case of dead. Assuming they remain in their block formation Napier should blast 9 of them as they round the corner, hopefully killing 3 archers, then Anex and Sekan can try and finish off low hit survivors, preferencing archers if we can. We want to stay as far away from them as possible (unless we want to sacrifice gobwins to give the rest of us more exp) and blast them with ranged attacks. Napier has 2 juice potions, even assuming we'll face more enemies this turn, so he should be willing to burn through his juice like crazy.
ETheBoyce

Postby Nnelg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:38 pm

ETheBoyce wrote:Why are 2 of our 3 ranged attackers not in the stack with leadership?

Because the odds are that they'll drop their targets easily enough without the measly +1 Jaeger could give them; however, every +1 to the gobwins' defence is potentially 1 point of warding saved for the next battle (per gobwin, per attack).
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby ETheBoyce » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:57 pm

That won't matter until the enemy is in melee range, and 2 extra damage we deal every round is better than the chance for a gobwin to take 1 less damage
ETheBoyce

Postby CroverusRaven » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:02 pm

Hmm... I don't know if the golems can be in a separate stack form me actually. Yes, you have them still adjacent to me, but I'm pretty sure they will remain stacked with me no matter what.
CroverusRaven

Postby Nnelg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:09 pm

ETheBoyce wrote:That won't matter until the enemy is in melee range, and 2 extra damage we deal every round is better than the chance for a gobwin to take 1 less damage

But you wouldn't be dealing 2 extra damage. You'd be dealing no extra damage, because the units you'll be shooting at will only have a few hits left.

And don't forget, every point of ward is irreplaceable. At least for this mission. Even saving 1 point of ward across the entire battle would be worth doing 2 less damage per turn.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:12 pm

CroverusRaven wrote:Hmm... I don't know if the golems can be in a separate stack form me actually. Yes, you have them still adjacent to me, but I'm pretty sure they will remain stacked with me no matter what.
You can certainly choose to require that, but it's not necessary according to the rules. Bodyguards don't need to be in the same stack.
MarbitChow

Postby ETheBoyce » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:23 pm

These units will have Defense and be stacked, there is no telling exactly which units we will hit unless they decide to spread out, further we won't be in melee combat for several turns, during that time 2 extra hits will be worth more than 1 extra Defense on a Gobwin who probably won't be targeted anyway. If the 4 enemy archers aren't trying to hit our ranged attackers than they are fools, so only Gobwins stacked with Sekan/Shockamancer/Anex should potentially be hit. Look at the map, from the time the enemy comes into LOS it will take them up to 4 Rounds to reach us, the enemy archery will hopefully be dead on Round 2 and then we'll have plenty of time to worry about the melee fight rather than wasting our Leadership bonus at the start of the battle.
ETheBoyce

Postby Nnelg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:36 pm

ETheBoyce wrote:Look at the map, from the time the enemy comes into LOS it will take them up to 4 Rounds to reach us, the enemy archery will hopefully be dead on Round 2 and then we'll have plenty of time to worry about the melee fight rather than wasting our Leadership bonus at the start of the battle.

3 Rounds, at the most.; however, I see your point...

Fine, then we'll leave the 6 gobwins in their own stack at the start of the battle, and both Jaeger and Napier will be in the stack with the majority of PCs.

But the moment the enemy gets within 8 squares of us, Jaeger will drop from the Squad and use a Regroup action to pull Napier and the 6 gobwins into formation.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby Nnelg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:05 pm

Updated setup:
(2,-4) Zed-Too (BLANDCorporatio): Warrior {Level 1, 4xp} [5 Combat / 8 Defense / 22 Hits. 8 {8} Move. Assault. Special: Military, Well-protected, Beefy, Skilled] (Lesser Boost:2) (Ward-16)
(1,-3) Sekan (ETheBoyce): Archer {Level 1, 0 XP; 2 AP Unspent} [7 Combat / 3 Defense / 10 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Fire. Special: Military] (Ward-16)
(2,-3) Anex (Werebiscuit): Archer {Level 1, 4xp} [10 Combat / 3 Defense / 10 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Fire. Special: Military, Well-Armed, Skilled] (Lesser Boost:2) (Ward-16)
(-1,-5) Thomas the Tank (bob the 6th): Spearman {Level 1, 0 XP} [ 8 Combat / 6 Defense / 20 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Heavy, Military] (Ward-16)
(1,-4) Blackbeard (WhirdCheese): Warrior {Level 1, 0 XP} [5 Combat / 11 Defense / 18 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Assault. Specials: Heavy, Military] (Ward-16)
(4,-4) Jaeger (Nnelg): Spearman {Level 1, 0 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Leadership, Military] (Ward-16)

(0,-4) Gobwin Spearman (GS-1) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
(0,-5) Gobwin Spearman (GS-2) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
(3,-5) Gobwin Spearman (GS-3) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
(4,-5) Gobwin Spearman (GS-4) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
(5,-4) Gobwin Spearman (GS-5) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
(6,-4) Gobwin Spearman (GS-6) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
(7,-5) Gobwin Spearman (GS-7) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)
(8,-5) Gobwin Spearman (GS-8) : Spearman {Level 1, -5 XP} [ 5 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Military] (Ward-16)

(3,-3) Chester Napier: Caster {Lvl 5} [ 15 Combat / 1 Defense / 20 Hits / 8 {8} Move. 40 Juice. Special: Shockamancy (Hoboken, Grounding, TooGeeWonCee, Ickypron, Hobobarbie)] Restore Juice (Restore 20) x2
(4,-3) Golem Guard 1 (BG-1) : Golem Warrior {Lvl 2} [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 66 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Bodyguard, Heavy]
(3,-4) Golem Guard 1 (BG-2) : Golem Warrior {Lvl 2} [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 66 Hits / 8 {8} Move. Strike. Specials: Bodyguard, Heavy]

Stack 1:
Jaeger
Napier
Anex
Sekan
Zed2
Blackbeard
2 Golems

Stack 2:
6 Gobwins

Stack 3:
Thomas
2 Gobwins

So, the initial formation should look like this:
...SANG.....
..gBZGJgg...
#Tg##gg##gg#
############

The line of gobwins, when extended, would look like this:
############
.##..##..##.
.........g..
.....g..g...
....Tg...g..
....AZB.g...
....S.G..g..
.....GNJg...
#..##..##..#
############

And Jaeger can spend a regroup action to assign a new formation, rolling the line back like so:
############
.##..##..##.
.......g....
.....g..g...
....Tg.g....
....AZB.g...
....SNGg....
.....GJ.g...
#..##..##..#
############

(In the last two cases, the exact position of PCs is up to their players.)

If there's no objections, can we go ahead and start the battle now?
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games