Summer Update - 031

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Summer Update - 031

Postby balder » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:58 am

New one is up. Guest art by my good friend Chris Battey.
balder

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby Infidel » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:05 am

Awesome, glad to see that line re-used. :)

Still, it would be funny to see Parson leap from the parapet onto dragon back. And watch the dragon plummet to the ground because Parson is a heavy unit.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby DevilDan » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:30 am

"Adult beverages may have been involved."
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby PhoenixTalion » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:36 am

...You could get a lot of comedic mileage from figuring out Parson's unit stats through trial and error. Especially with alcohol.
|Icons|Art|Fanfic|

"The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa."
~Robert Heinlein
PhoenixTalion

Postby zz_tophat » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:09 am

"Ummmm. Not if you're a heavy unit. Which...I think is likely."

Whoyoucallingfat?
zz_tophat

Postby moose o death » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:29 am

i never even considered parson would be a heavy unit, does that directly relate to combat strength. if he's a level 2-3 heavy he'd be pretty strong on his own. he's just not really keen on finding out
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby teratorn » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:27 am

And then Parson goes splat on the ground, dies, and in book 2 GK needs to buy a new
summoning spell for the perfect warlord (one that is not allowed to drink alcohol).
teratorn

Postby mortissimus » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:06 am

Or he will take little damage as heavy units may have a large pool of hitpoints... and then heal up on the start of next turn.

Anyway, it will be schientifics and that is all good.
mortissimus

Postby raphfrk » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:48 am

moose o death wrote:i never even considered parson would be a heavy unit, does that directly relate to combat strength. if he's a level 2-3 heavy he'd be pretty strong on his own. he's just not really keen on finding out

Also, presumably garrison units gets a boost in effectiveness due to the loss of move.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby mhangman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:42 am

well sorry for saying this but i agree with parson.
i wanna ride one of those archons...
mhangman

Postby DarkNewton » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:33 am

Interesting tidbit of info there, Maggie doesn't seem surprised that a Warlord can have classifications such as 'Heavy' I wonder if that means there are more divisions of the warlord class, much like there is with infantry. Because I believe, to date, we've never seen warlords with designations like that.
DarkNewton

Postby DevilDan » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:31 am

mhangman wrote:well sorry for saying this but i agree with parson.
i wanna ride one of those archons...

Is that a Freudian slip there?

We don't know if Parson has a "heavy" attribute. Parson may look heavy, and he may mass the same as a twoll, but Charlie though three archons were enough to lift him when he offered Parson a way out.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby TheWombat » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:22 pm

I like the ending reference to what Parson said when he was confronted that his plans fail.
Proud wanna-be owner of the Arken-chainsaw.
TheWombat

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:11 pm

DarkNewton wrote:Interesting tidbit of info there, Maggie doesn't seem surprised that a Warlord can have classifications such as 'Heavy' I wonder if that means there are more divisions of the warlord class, much like there is with infantry. Because I believe, to date, we've never seen warlords with designations like that.

I speculate that Warlord, Chief Warlord, and Overlord are attributes that can be applied to any unit, although there's a lot you probably wouldn't want to apply them to.

Since uncroaked can be warlords (granted, they probably have to be a warlord before they croak), and they're not very bright at all, you might theoretically make a warlord out of any unit.
You might even be able to promote an uncroaked to warlord, but it would be a horrible waste of shmuckers. Uncroaking an existing warlord at least allows you a little more return on your investment.

A dwagon warlord would be awe-inspiring, I suspect. :)
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby DevilDan » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:29 pm

We know that twolls are classed as heavy (until further retconjuration?), so the twoll-sized Parson might also qualify.

On to dwagons... I take if from Sizemore's objection that a dwagon couldn't carry a twoll. And I assume that a dwagon can only carry two humans or a single hobgobwin. Would that make hobgobwin's a special size of their own?

I'm basing this on the configuration of Stanley's force when he abandoned GK: he and Jack rode one dwagon, while three other dwagons each carried one knight. Or could Stanley's mount have been a stronger dwagon than the other three that could carry the knights?
DevilDan

Postby yay » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:30 pm

i think any humanoid can be a warlord, or at least most of them.

woodsy elves had a warlord, i'd assume marbits and gobwins do too. but a war beast or golems probably can't because they aren't intellegent. can't be a leader if you can't talk to your troops. and yes, a dwagon warlord would be booping awesome
yay

Postby Itzal » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:26 pm

who else wants that to be parsons warcry if he starts a faction. Two thousand warrior bearing down on you yelling

"SOMETIMES THEY EVEN WOOOOOOOOOORK!!!!"
Veni Vedi Volo En Domium Redare
I came, I saw, I wanna go home.
Itzal

Postby Drifter » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:36 pm

DarkNewton wrote:Interesting tidbit of info there, Maggie doesn't seem surprised that a Warlord can have classifications such as 'Heavy' I wonder if that means there are more divisions of the warlord class, much like there is with infantry. Because I believe, to date, we've never seen warlords with designations like that.

I believe you are reading way too much into what Maggie doesn't say. Remember, she's still wiping off her mouth after filling her helmet. And as for her "sometimes they even work" comment, I'd say she's being conversationally polite, if skeptical of the wisdom of his choice. Some of his seemingly ill-advised choices have actually worked out in retrospect: removing the closest-to-GK siege engines, uncroakin' the volcano.

MarbitChow wrote:I speculate that Warlord, Chief Warlord, and Overlord are attributes that can be applied to any unit, although there's a lot you probably wouldn't want to apply them to.

I don't agree. I believe the unit must not only be intelligent enough to take orders (everything can do that), but must also be able to analyze a situation, coordinate with units out of hex, consider various outcomes of actions, evaluate and possibly alter orders from superiors, and effectively/understandably give orders to all types of units. Beast units cannot communicate complex orders - so no beast warlords. All I'm left with is an intelligence requirement for twolls or other non-higher-huminoid (like the gumps). We've already seen man, elf, vampire, etc. warlords. I'm considering these types as the aforenamed "higher-huminoids". Jury is still out for gobwins and marbits (although I think I saw some marbits at Ansom's first big council meeting.)

I'll be very surprised if the dwagon even lets him throw a leg over it's shoulders...
Drifter

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:40 pm

If Bogroll was still around, he'd be standing down below for some reason."

I just realized that was a allusion to the original ending.

And parson should know, that this couldn't end well: don't drink and drive dwagons!
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:46 pm

MarbitChow wrote:I speculate that Warlord, Chief Warlord, and Overlord are attributes that can be applied to any unit, although there's a lot you probably wouldn't want to apply them to.

Since uncroaked can be warlords (granted, they probably have to be a warlord before they croak), and they're not very bright at all, you might theoretically make a warlord out of any unit.
You might even be able to promote an uncroaked to warlord, but it would be a horrible waste of shmuckers. Uncroaking an existing warlord at least allows you a little more return on your investment.

A dwagon warlord would be awe-inspiring, I suspect. :)

if that was the case, we would have seen dwagon warlords. Think about the possibilities! Stanley may not the sharpest knife around, but he knows about bonus and combat. Dwagon stacks with a dwagon as leader, directly led by the Eyemancer table should be his idea of a good army. And he'd be right about that.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Next

Return to Reactions