Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 058

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 058

Postby Manic Oppressive » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:12 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qswm7lHp7oY

If anyone wants to hum along with Olive's tune. Love that song.

Incidentally, the last verse is darkly amusing given what we know is going to happen to the victor of this war. Stanley probably didn't see much worth fighting over.
Why yes, I do like Jillian. WHAT OF IT?
Manic Oppressive

Postby MonteCristo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:20 am

No one in particular wrote:If so, Haffaton is going to CHOKE on Faq.

Consider!

Olive's primary weapons are peace & patience. She likes to trap people in situations where they can't fight, and since that's all most Erfworlders can think of doing, the boredom and inaction either drives them to give up or forces them to run away. (she doesn't poison them until the last second, since she really does want every chance to convert them)

Except that if she if she notices they are not leaving and their stay is becoming too costly, then she may just skip right to the poisoning... when it comes down to it, there are only 2 units she needs to croak, banhammer and Jillian; Once Banhammer and Jillian are croaked, the casters will be trapped in the capitol. Olive is free to capture them and convert them at her leisure.
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:46 am

MonteCristo wrote:Except that if she if she notices they are not leaving and their stay is becoming too costly, then she may just skip right to the poisoning... when it comes down to it, there are only 2 units she needs to croak, banhammer and Jillian; Once Banhammer and Jillian are croaked, the casters will be trapped in the capitol. Olive is free to capture them and convert them at her leisure.

Two points:

1) I don't believe Olive would know how much the drain would be; that's Ruler-management stuff, and while Olive controls Judy, Judy is still the official Ruler. Until Olive takes the throne, she doesn't have the instant, in-her-head knowledge to notice the treasury.

2. I don't think so the casters would be trapped... they'd just disband. If Jillian & Banhammer croak, Faq as a side ends, and all units in the field disband. Unless Olive chooses to just forfeit everything and accept the loss of the Turning Box, the loss of potential new casters, AND the threat of taking the "Hard Way" to Fate (Jillian's croaking the Ruler of Haffaton, recall)... Olive can't croak the Banhammers.

On the other hand, we don't know what happens to units that have already been captured when their side ends. They might turn barbarian, or they might just disappear out of the dungeon. *shrugs*
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby bladestorm » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:13 am

Olive can croak at least King Banhammer. Wanda can do a focused uncroaking and keep mending the body to keep up a charade that the king is still alive.
bladestorm

Postby No one in particular » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:20 am

bladestorm wrote:Olive can croak at least King Banhammer. Wanda can do a focused uncroaking and keep mending the body to keep up a charade that the king is still alive.

Somehow, I think the fact that Jillian would suddenly know the position and upkeep of all of Faq's units, and everyone else would feel a change in their bonuses would give the trick away. :p
---
No one in particular

Postby atalex » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:46 am

For those suggesting that Olive can just poison Banhammer et al at her leisure. I don't think so. The chillaxe affects her as much as anyone else, and she cannot initiate an attack. She didn't actively poison Tommy Firebaugh. She applied a poison lipstick or something comparable and manipulated him into kissing her so that it wouldn't count as an attack. Given Marie's presence, I think Banhammer will know enough not to kiss the Florist of Doom.
atalex

Postby No one in particular » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:37 am

... yes. YES.

Banhammer / Olive slash.

Hot, passionate makeouts!
Dangerous liaisons!
"Politics makes Strange Bedfellows"

It's not going to bump Ace/Cubbins out of my favorite pair, but I'm liking it! :lol:
---
No one in particular

Postby Azukar » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:09 am

I keep hoping Lojban-hammer is going to turn out to have some kind of genius plan, but... I dunno :?

Gotta bad feeling about all this. But then, the story is on its way out, so I don't think this is going to lead to all of FAQ being enslaved.
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:27 am

No one in particular wrote:1) I don't believe Olive would know how much the drain would be; that's Ruler-management stuff, and while Olive controls Judy, Judy is still the official Ruler. Until Olive takes the throne, she doesn't have the instant, in-her-head knowledge to notice the treasury.

Oh, this is such a wonderful set-up 8-) Judy's not going to notice any shenanigans pulled by the moneymancer and the mathamancer.

Banhammer might be hard to poison. He's certainly more disciplined than Tommy was, and he's not quite as delusional as Tommy, who though he could turn Olive.

I wonder if hanging spells on the Tower counts as an attack? Or making traps? (with Haffaton's resources.)
Chit Rule Railroad
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:11 am

No one in particular wrote:1) I don't believe Olive would know how much the drain would be; that's Ruler-management stuff, and while Olive controls Judy, Judy is still the official Ruler. Until Olive takes the throne, she doesn't have the instant, in-her-head knowledge to notice the treasury.

Olive won't be supporting the FAQ units with shmuckers. There are massive farms just outside the city. She will just give them food to eat outright.
Lamech

Postby Berserkas » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:39 am

Wait wait wait wait.

That SYMBOL

On the archway, right above Olive's head...

Skull wtih Hero buds. That's Wanda's symbol that she uses on the livery of the Decrypted....

I bet this has no actual meaning or implications, but it's an odd oversight to make anyway. :P After all, Efbaum is supposedly kept exactly the way Haffaton conquered it... why add that symbol to the tower?
Berserkas

Postby jkosta » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:03 am

I think the first thing that will happen in the next update is a request to meet the ruler of Haffaton. Banhammer is a King; it is only polite that he is greeted by his opposite. Olive will probably claim that she is not in the hex; Jillian will blurt out that she is; Banhammer will frown a lot; Olive will give in. Especially since it's FAQ's turn.

Then we'll find out details about Judy.

Also, as a Predictamancer, I'd expect Marie would know that, if they took Jillian away, Jillian would have to come back somehow anyways. Might as well get it over with. It might not be as specific as, "Jillian will croak the Ruler of Haffaton," but she has almost certainly looked and realized that much.

Berserkas wrote:Skull wtih Hero buds. That's Wanda's symbol that she uses on the livery of the Decrypted....

Wanda's insignia only has one Hero bud. http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/ ... livery.png
jkosta

Postby Kaveman31 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:12 am

It seems like Haffaton just put themselves in a catch 22. IF they have to pay for the upkeep of FAQ units then they will go broke. If Olive doesnt use the chillaxe each turn then Jillian will have her head. So she has to keep using the chillaxe every turn or Jillian croaks her. If she doesnt then the side runs out of money. All Banhammer has to do is wait.
Kaveman31

Postby MonteCristo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:02 pm

No one in particular wrote:
MonteCristo wrote:Except that if she if she notices they are not leaving and their stay is becoming too costly, then she may just skip right to the poisoning... when it comes down to it, there are only 2 units she needs to croak, banhammer and Jillian; Once Banhammer and Jillian are croaked, the casters will be trapped in the capitol. Olive is free to capture them and convert them at her leisure.

Two points:

1) I don't believe Olive would know how much the drain would be; that's Ruler-management stuff, and while Olive controls Judy, Judy is still the official Ruler. Until Olive takes the throne, she doesn't have the instant, in-her-head knowledge to notice the treasury.

Olive is the chief caster and heir to haffaton, and from what we've seen her authority seems to be on a similar level as that of a chief warlord. She issues orders can even spend smuckers from the treasury. Olive even mentions their poor smucker situation when she says she was hireing charlie to look for Faq(judy did not seem to be involved); so it would seem she is very much aware of their smucker situation. Judy herself seems to do very little leaving day to day matters up to Olive.

2. I don't think so the casters would be trapped... they'd just disband. If Jillian & Banhammer croak, Faq as a side ends, and all units in the field disband. Unless Olive chooses to just forfeit everything and accept the loss of the Turning Box, the loss of potential new casters, AND the threat of taking the "Hard Way" to Fate (Jillian's croaking the Ruler of Haffaton, recall)... Olive can't croak the Banhammers.

Keywords: in the field
Faq's casters are not in the field, they are in Haffaton's capitol. Units inside of a city when a side falls do not disband, they instead freeze and can not move unless the city is attacked. Furthermore we know that from the battle for jetstone that when the garrison is captured (the city switches ownership) all enemy units are automatically captured... putting the info together, I think its reasonable to assume that when a side falls, all units inside of an enemy city become captives of that city. Disbanding doesn't seem to be a possibility since again, units in cities freeze instead of disbanding.
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:27 pm

Olive just ate poison.

A) Between Lookamancy, Predictamancy and Jillian getting high, it can be assumed that FAQ is aware of Olive's tendency towards booby traps. Sometimes involving literal boobies. Poor Tommy.
B) Haffaton relies heavily on Olive's capabilities and her Chillaxe for combat.
C) Olive now has to stay in her city and keep the Chillaxe going until Banhammer leaves, turns or she manages to poison him.
D) All those lovely cities and that wonderful territory have thusly lost their primary defense.
E) Haffaton is surrounded by people who're very angry at them.
F) is for Feeding Frenzy, and thats good enough for me.
Jabberwocky

Postby MonteCristo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:50 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:D) All those lovely cities and that wonderful territory have thusly lost their primary defense.
E) Haffaton is surrounded by people who're very angry at them.
F) is for Feeding Frenzy, and thats good enough for me.

Not really... the Chillaxe can not be haffaton's primary defense, only its most effective. Haffaton is HUGE it takes many turns to get from one side to the other even by flight. There is no way that Olive herself could be at every city to protect them from attack. Furtharmore, we know from their battle's with goodminton that while the chillaxe was used to force them to parley she did not use it to protect the cities that Goodminton was attacking an conquering. We also know that haffaton DOES have the forces needed to go on the offensive as they did to Faq.

Most likely, Haffaton keeps its borders reasonable well guarded which can turn into an offensive force with some additional reinforcements. They also rely on their reputation as a huge and powerful side to keep other sides from messing with them out of simple intimidation. However with their wide border this means that their forces are spread thin and this leaves the majority of the cities within it's borders practically barren as we saw with diecast and goodminton's capital. The chillaxe is more like their ultimate trump card and tool they use when they get serious
Last edited by MonteCristo on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby bladestorm » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:02 pm

No one in particular wrote:
bladestorm wrote:Olive can croak at least King Banhammer. Wanda can do a focused uncroaking and keep mending the body to keep up a charade that the king is still alive.

Somehow, I think the fact that Jillian would suddenly know the position and upkeep of all of Faq's units, and everyone else would feel a change in their bonuses would give the trick away. :p

She wouldn't know if she was strung out on the buds. And since they are in a capital site, there's a portal that the casters can use to go to the magick kingdom, and with no casters, and no other troops and no cities, Jillian would be none the wiser. Use a Croakamancer to keep the body moving and a foolamancer to make him look alive. The cost of a little juice to pull off a lie to keep a loved one from hurting.
bladestorm

Postby SteveMB » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:13 pm

I doubt that's possible -- until Wanda attuned and gained the ability to Decrypt, I don't think we've seen an uncroaked that could possibly be passed off as a living unit for one second.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Frosted » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:20 pm

I feel like this bears stating:

I would read The Principles of Peace.
Frosted

Postby No one in particular » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:31 pm

MonteCristo wrote:Olive is the chief caster and heir to haffaton, and from what we've seen her authority seems to be on a similar level as that of a chief warlord. She issues orders can even spend smuckers from the treasury. Olive even mentions their poor smucker situation when she says she was hireing charlie to look for Faq(judy did not seem to be involved); so it would seem she is very much aware of their smucker situation. Judy herself seems to do very little leaving day to day matters up to Olive.

Just because Olive can write a check, it doesn't mean she knows how much money's in the bank.

There are certain senses that are exclusive and unique to Rulers.
  1. Stanley and Slately know precisely where a unit is, what it's health & condition is, etc.
  2. Prince Ansom, when he was leading the siege to Gobwin Knob, lost a bunch of siege and didn't realize it until someone told him.
  3. Same thing with Tommy, on the road to Goodfinger.
  4. Wanda was Chief Caster for Goodminton, and it wasn't until she was Overlady / barbarian that she could sense the upkeep of her uncroaked.

It seems that the difference between Chiefs and Rulers is that while both can order something to happen ("go there" or "I promote you to field"), a Ruler KNOWS that it's working. Extending this to cover the cost of things & the available funds in a treasury, I would guess that a Ruler has to make it known to his Chief when things are getting low.

MonteCristo wrote:Keywords: in the field
Faq's casters are not in the field, they are in Haffaton's capitol. Units inside of a city when a side falls do not disband, they instead freeze and can not move unless the city is attacked. Furthermore we know that from the battle for jetstone that when the garrison is captured (the city switches ownership) all enemy units are automatically captured... putting the info together, I think its reasonable to assume that when a side falls, all units inside of an enemy city become captives of that city. Disbanding doesn't seem to be a possibility since again, units in cities freeze instead of disbanding.

I guess it comes down to the definition of "the field"...

I was operating under the assumption that it simply meant "anywhere that's not a city of your (former) side"

This might explain how the Magic Kingdom saves caster, though... if it's technically a city, and foreign casters are in it when their side falls, then they would suddenly find themselves wearing bracelets but ALIVE. Quick talk to whoever's the unmentioned Ruler of the place, the cuffs come off, and "welcome to your new home"
---
No one in particular

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions