Summer Update - 031

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby mortissimus » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:06 pm

My guess would be that any unit can be promoted to warlords, but that it is a horrible waste of resources to do it to beasts. Low charisma could translate into low bonus, low intelligence into running into traps. Promote the most dashing human instead, and put him or her on top of the beast.
mortissimus
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:04 am

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby DevilDan » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:12 pm

mortissimus wrote:My guess would be that any unit can be promoted to warlords, but that it is a horrible waste of resources to do it to beasts. Low charisma could translate into low bonus, low intelligence into running into traps. Promote the most dashing human instead, and put him or her on top of the beast.

I somehow doubt that any non-sentient or non-humanoid units can be warlords.

I'm sure that twoll warlords can be popped or that at least twolls can be bumped up to warlord status.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
User avatar
DevilDan
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:47 pm

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:if that was the case, we would have seen dwagon warlords. Think about the possibilities! Stanley may not the sharpest knife around, but he knows about bonus and combat. Dwagon stacks with a dwagon as leader, directly led by the Eyemancer table should be his idea of a good army. And he'd be right about that.


Perhaps not. Stanley is also bound by conventional thinking.
He may think that there are some things you 'just don't do', because they're not 'proper' - like how Parson killed Ansom.
Alternately, it might be that the cost to promote a dwagon is prohibitive.

But my original point was just that people are thinking of Warlords as if they are units, like infantry or knight, whereas I think we should consider them as titles that bestow additional benefits (leadership, for example).
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby cloudbreaker » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:24 pm

DevilDan wrote:On to dwagons... I take if from Sizemore's objection that a dwagon couldn't carry a twoll. And I assume that a dwagon can only carry two humans or a single hobgobwin. Would that make hobgobwin's a special size of their own?

I'm basing this on the configuration of Stanley's force when he abandoned GK: he and Jack rode one dwagon, while three other dwagons each carried one knight. Or could Stanley's mount have been a stronger dwagon than the other three that could carry the knights?

Another possibility is that Stanley only had four saddles, and only one of those was a two-person saddle. Here is the only place I found where someone didn't use a saddle, but he doesn't really go anywhere either.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
User avatar
cloudbreaker
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:09 pm

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby teratorn » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:43 pm

Now if as Sizemore says garrison units can't be carried away from the hex, then how would charlie's archons carry Parson in the net?
User avatar
teratorn
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 6:33 am
Location: Algarve

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby Graydon » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:04 pm

I don't think we've ever seen warlord status conferred; it's implied that Stanley does this, but we never see it. It might be like the Crown and the English Parliament, Parliament can in principle put the crown on anything, but the sensible choices are much more restricted.

The thing I find myself wondering is if there's a hole in the Erfworld rules; Parson can't move during turn, because, hey, no Move. When it's not Gobwin Knob's turn, though, you can't move because there's no way to use Move. Since Parson doesn't actually use Move in the first place, he might not have to, and the thing that checks for available Move might not be on when it's not your side's turn.

If that's the case, it's going to be a seriously useless superpower -- only being able to move when no one else on your side can hasn't got a lot to recommend it.
Graydon
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:10 pm

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby Drifter » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:00 pm

Graydon wrote:I don't think we've ever seen warlord status conferred; it's implied that Stanley does this, but we never see it...


Yes we do. (granted, it's not terribly ceremonious)

http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F023.jpg

However, we don't know if Stanley is actually making Parson a Chief Warlord by saying so in the first panel, or if he's just acknowledging what the Summon Perfect Warlord spell produced. And, did he arrive in Erf as Chief Warlord, or merely a "perfect" warlord and then made Chief Warlord by Stanley's will/command?
User avatar
Drifter
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:40 pm
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby Lord Kasavin » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:38 pm

Graydon wrote:The thing I find myself wondering is if there's a hole in the Erfworld rules; Parson can't move during turn, because, hey, no Move. When it's not Gobwin Knob's turn, though, you can't move because there's no way to use Move. Since Parson doesn't actually use Move in the first place, he might not have to, and the thing that checks for available Move might not be on when it's not your side's turn.

If that's the case, it's going to be a seriously useless superpower -- only being able to move when no one else on your side can hasn't got a lot to recommend it.


I doubt thats the case. Everything we've seen so far suggests Erfworld does a very thorough job in applying the laws of erf-physics to him. He's shown his ability to exploit rules, but the only one it appears he's "broken" is auto-censorship. Perhaps more importantly, Parson's existence actually depends on the rules. No rules, means food doesn't pop for him at dawn. Wounds don't heal. He may have very well stopped aging. However, he'll finally smell like a gamer.
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
User avatar
Lord Kasavin
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:34 pm

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby gameboy1234 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:02 am

teratorn wrote:Now if as Sizemore says garrison units can't be carried away from the hex, then how would charlie's archons carry Parson in the net?



I'd guess that "captured" is different from being moved by your own side. Garrison or heavy units can't use mounts, but they can be captured.


I wonder if warlords must be humanoid? That would mean heavy units like twolls and Parson are ok, but dwagons are out. Or dwagons are classed differently (like Siege or something) which expressly can't be made a warlord. Oh, probably mounts (dwagons, gwiffons, spidews, Asome's carpet, etc.) can't be made warlords.

I'd bet certain kinds of beasts, for some sides, can be made warlords. I could see Elves with a Bear warlord or something.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

Avatar hoarked from PS238.
User avatar
gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 10:04 pm

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby moose o death » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:29 am

teratorn wrote:Now if as Sizemore says garrison units can't be carried away from the hex, then how would charlie's archons carry Parson in the net?

no he said he couldn't leave the hex on a mount, i'm not sure we'll ever see parson mounting an archon....

he left via teleport without too many problems as those clearly bypass move restrictions, so the only way i see parson "breaking" the rules is getting a personal teleporter made that another unit can place allowig parson to walk to the teleporters location from their GK teleport
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
User avatar
moose o death
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 4:17 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby Amplify » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:54 am

moose o death wrote:i'm not sure we'll ever see parson mounting an archon....

Honestly, I think that Parson's low charisma modifier would be more of a problem with that.
Amplify
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby HandofShadows » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:21 am

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:And parson should know, that this couldn't end well: don't drink and drive dwagons!


Shouldn't this be "Don't dwink and dwive dwagons"? :)
HandofShadows
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:38 pm

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby Graydon » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:34 am

Drifter wrote:
Graydon wrote:I don't think we've ever seen warlord status conferred; it's implied that Stanley does this, but we never see it...


Yes we do. (granted, it's not terribly ceremonious)

http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F023.jpg

However, we don't know if Stanley is actually making Parson a Chief Warlord by saying so in the first panel, or if he's just acknowledging what the Summon Perfect Warlord spell produced. And, did he arrive in Erf as Chief Warlord, or merely a "perfect" warlord and then made Chief Warlord by Stanley's will/command?


I think Parson arrived in Erf as a warlord; warlord seems to function as a rank. Being Chief Warlord is an appointment; so far as we've seen, anybody who is already a warlord can be Chief Warlord, it's just traditional to pick whoever has the best bonus.

So I take that scene as Stanley appointing Parson-the-warlord to the job of Chief Warlord for Gobwin Knob, rather than doing the equivalent of taking a piker and making them a warlord. Certainly Parson's Warlord status is still there despite not being Chief anymore.
Graydon
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:10 pm

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby Dahak » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:02 pm

cloudbreaker wrote:
DevilDan wrote:On to dwagons... I take if from Sizemore's objection that a dwagon couldn't carry a twoll. And I assume that a dwagon can only carry two humans or a single hobgobwin. Would that make hobgobwin's a special size of their own?


Or Stanley wanted an optimum size stack consisting of his four best dragons with the range to reach FAQ, the best three members of KISS and the foolamancer.
Dahak
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:46 am

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby DevilDan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:19 pm

Dahak wrote:
cloudbreaker wrote:
DevilDan wrote:On to dwagons... I take if from Sizemore's objection that a dwagon couldn't carry a twoll. And I assume that a dwagon can only carry two humans or a single hobgobwin. Would that make hobgobwin's a special size of their own?


Or Stanley wanted an optimum size stack consisting of his four best dragons with the range to reach FAQ, the best three members of KISS and the foolamancer.


He had plenty more dwagons... the saddle limitation is creative.

moose o death wrote:
teratorn wrote:Now if as Sizemore says garrison units can't be carried away from the hex, then how would charlie's archons carry Parson in the net?

no he said he couldn't leave the hex on a mount, i'm not sure we'll ever see parson mounting an archon....

he left via teleport without too many problems as those clearly bypass move restrictions, so the only way i see parson "breaking" the rules is getting a personal teleporter made that another unit can place allowig parson to walk to the teleporters location from their GK teleport


Presumably once he's jumped into the net he's transferred his allegiance to Charlescomm, under Charlie's purview as overlord.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
User avatar
DevilDan
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby mhangman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:16 pm

Amplify wrote:
moose o death wrote:i'm not sure we'll ever see parson mounting an archon....

Honestly, I think that Parson's low charisma modifier would be more of a problem with that.

I dont know rules but if someone has enaugh charisma can that person mount an archon? ahahah maybe ansom can? god its 05,15am here and look what im talking about.
mhangman
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:02 am
Location: Turkey

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby LordDarksea » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:50 am

mhangman wrote:
Amplify wrote:
moose o death wrote:i'm not sure we'll ever see parson mounting an archon....

Honestly, I think that Parson's low charisma modifier would be more of a problem with that.

I dont know rules but if someone has enaugh charisma can that person mount an archon? ahahah maybe ansom can? god its 05,15am here and look what im talking about.


Well, Vinnie got three

;)
LordDarksea
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 2:44 pm

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:16 am

mhangman wrote:I dont know rules but if someone has enaugh charisma can that person mount an archon? ahahah maybe ansom can? god its 05,15am here and look what im talking about.


You assume the DnD rules apply to Erfworld. But there is world of rules beyond DnD. ;)
And if Stanley can mount a dwagon, charisma should be no problem.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
User avatar
Welf von Ehrwald
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:57 pm

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby mhangman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:25 pm

@lorddarksea
i forgat that
@Welf von Ehrwald
yes you are right but im not just saying dnd rules, i dont learn erfworld rules too. cant keep all rules in my mind. only like its story rules, system i have my own problem :P
mhangman
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:02 am
Location: Turkey

Re: Summer Update - 031

Postby Infidel » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:47 pm

DevilDan wrote:
mhangman wrote:well sorry for saying this but i agree with parson.
i wanna ride one of those archons...

Is that a Freudian slip there?

We don't know if Parson has a "heavy" attribute. Parson may look heavy, and he may mass the same as a twoll, but Charlie though three archons were enough to lift him when he offered Parson a way out.


I don't think it's a weight thing. Assume Parson weighs 500 pounds and the dragon can carry 600. But because Parson is classed heavy, the dragon can't fly with him on its back. Archon's obviously don't have the same weight capacity as a dragon, but since Parson won't ride the archons they can just combine their strength to carry.

In other words, the dragon can probably pick up Parson with its claws or teeth and carry Parson wherever; Parson just can't RIDE the dragon.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
User avatar
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:22 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Corran, Google [Bot], Keighvin1, Spicymancer and 24 guests