Would an Erfworld RPG be a good idea?

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Would an Erfworld RPG be a good idea?

Postby eliotn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:34 pm

I know others have discussed Erfworld videogames before, and someone posted an alpha of an Erfworld space shooter. While a Turn Based Strategy of Erfworld would be interesting, I think it would be more interesting to do a roleplaying game. The player plays as a Barbarian Warlord/Warrior/Caster (depending on what skills they want to use, similar to major characters) that randomly pops in the wild. The character can join existing sides, undertaking missions, eventually becoming a force to be reckoned with. A key part of this, unlike many rpgs, is fighting well with your army, spending money wisely to pop troops under your command, and making use of tactics such as dance-fighting.

I would like input on this idea. For this project I will be using the t-engine, which is the role-playing game engine used to create the fantasy rpg Tales of Maj-Eyal. I may start programming this soon.
eliotn

Re: Would an Erfworld RPG be a good idea?

Postby 0beron » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:17 pm

In order to do everything you suggest, I imagine it would have to be an incredibly complex and detailed program. It sounds like you would have elements of a first person RPGs AND turn-based strategy games, in addition to creating an open world environment. Sounds like quite a great deal to bite off, I would suggest maybe building the barbarian aspect first, and totally ignoring the potential to start your own side or the like.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby CroverusRaven » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:19 pm

I'm assuming this is mainly a single player RPG? Or, if it is multiplayer, the players wouldn't be aware of each other unless they happened to cross paths. I think it could work. It would basically be like any other RPG, with some unit management added I suppose. I'd certainly play a game like this.
CroverusRaven

Postby eliotn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:21 pm

Thanks for the quick response.

0beron wrote:In order to do everything you suggest, I imagine it would have to be an incredibly complex and detailed program. It sounds like you would have elements of a first person RPGs AND turn-based strategy games, in addition to creating an open world environment. Sounds like quite a great deal to bite off, I would suggest maybe building the barbarian aspect first, and totally ignoring the potential to start your own side or the like.

Definitely going to be doing the barbarian aspect first. Starting with some ruins. Whats nice for the idea of sides is that the t-engine has a built-in factions system that can be utilized for this purpose.

For now, I am thinking of having only the commander act and other monsters act on AI, although this may change. I don't want this game to be micromanagement intensive.

CroverusRaven wrote:I'm assuming this is mainly a single player RPG? Or, if it is multiplayer, the players wouldn't be aware of each other unless they happened to cross paths. I think it could work. It would basically be like any other RPG, with some unit management added I suppose. I'd certainly play a game like this.

This is definitely single-player, although the t-engine does have functionality for online character sheets and an in-game irc client. While multiplayer would be interesting, it has some complications.
eliotn

Postby WhirdCheese » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:27 pm

Deffinetly focus on the Barbarians first but once you've dealt with that I'd say just playtest for a month. After that throw in some command menus that pop up at the begining of each turn with what units to pop. Then set up another menu for army settings where you could basically tell units Attack nearest (side) unit, Stand ground, fall back to city.
WhirdCheese

Postby bob the 6th » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:22 pm

Mod for Mount&Blade? It has the idea of poping up and wondering around, with mechanics for joining or leaving sides. Would take some moding, but it could work.
bob the 6th

Return to Your Games