Book 2 – Page 101

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 101

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:14 am

vintermann wrote:What I'm wondering is what Parson's change of plan means. He wants to take out the king, obviously, but how does that really help with the whole inferno business, beyond taking out one more unit? I don't think Slately's bonus is all that big.

Also, I don't think Parson knows about the double-business, or that Tramennis is now heir.

Taking the city requires capturing or killing all the enemy units in the garrison, which at the moment includes Slately and the couple of guys with him. So Parson needs to do that.

I'd say we can be fairly sure Parson doesn't have any idea the actual tactical situation on the ground. Not that Jetstone forces have vacated the city, that Slately is dead and Slately is a double soon to disappear, that Trem is heir etc. He might consider it a stroke of luck they can catch the king - he might be thinking a captured king could be used as leverage to achieve something, or force something. Or that killing him could still end Jetstone.

If Slately is smart he'll make Parson waste his time with him, knowing he'll be gone next turn and Parson will be left with nothing.

Staberinde wrote:Prediction: Ace will get decrypted and will fight for GK sometime soon.

His hardware and combat ideas synch excellently with Parson. It's going to be a real waste if Parson - Ace pairing is not explored.

I'd prefer he didn't get decrypted, I don't like the thought of him sucking up to Wanda due to the effects of decryption (it is eased somewhat knowing he can turn). Him with Parson is an interesting idea - the one guy on Erf world that would know the potential of his art and be able to suggest wild things. I also think it would be interesting if he remained on the opposing side somehow - Parson suddenly dealing with enemies that use guns and things, how does that effect his strategies? The RCC2 would then have at least two dollmancers, Ace could start a Renaissance motivated by the necessity of updating to better fight GK.

Course if he did die Trem and the other casters will have taken away a new found respect for the dollmancers art while Parson will still be mostly ignorant of it (who in Spacerock can tell him about Jetpacks and rayguns at this rate?) - perhaps they will suggest to Don he get his dollmancer to follow Ace's lead.
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby 0beron » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:23 am

I suspect that we just lost all the greens, and any other decrypted Sylvia might have had with her. But the reds should have survived.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Emmerson Grant » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:41 am

The update with Holly Shortcake's doll in the shattered display case is on page 92 and you can see her broken, fallen pieces in the first panel of page 100.

Looking forward to how this is going to play.
Emmerson Grant

Postby effataigus » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:49 am

LTDave wrote:And how does a Fluffyphant rip open a dwagon's belly? That had to be a crit.

Looks like he used his tusk... wonder if that is plush too, or sewn on like a button eye?

Also, the updates with Artemis suggest that it wasn't actually important that that dwagon was cut open... the breath weapon contents were described as lingering even when the dwagons were just dusted straight up, IIRC.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Frostbeard » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:01 pm

Berserkas wrote:
M.A.D wrote:I believe Parson had just just lost every single dwagon units in the city, which leaves him an army of Decrypted without Wanda's bonus AND the ability to refresh new troops with the enemy's fallen. Sounds like his kind of party

Reds are immune to fire. Unless explosion shockwave counts as seperate kind of damage.

The gas itself could contribute to the damage as well. So like a mixed Fire/Corrosion/Bashing damage type maybe?
Frostbeard
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Zeromedeiros » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Parson will try to convince Slately to surrender the city by threatening his life...wich isn't held in high value now, since it's gonna dust soon...

I see parson ending up killing his firs unit while the fire roams and cleans out the countryard.

Leaving nothing there alive, since they have to croak ALL units to gain control of the garrison, Slately whill delay parson 'till nothing but reds are left!
Zeromedeiros

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:23 pm

On the significance of the doll - her dress, pigtails, and red hair are oddly reminiscent from Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz... which could connect to Judy of Haffaton. Has anyone noticed this?
WaterMonkey314

Postby cheeseaholic » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:31 pm

Zeromedeiros wrote:Parson will try to convince Slately to surrender the city by threatening his life...wich isn't held in high value now, since it's gonna dust soon...

I see parson ending up killing his firs unit while the fire roams and cleans out the countryard.

Leaving nothing there alive, since they have to croak ALL units to gain control of the garrison, Slately whill delay parson 'till nothing but reds are left!

Parson killed a weiner rammer and possibly a warlord in book 1.

And indirectly killed everyone else.
cheeseaholic

Postby wrecan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:36 pm

WaterMonkey314 wrote:On the significance of the doll - her dress, pigtails, and red hair are oddly reminiscent from Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz... which could connect to Judy of Haffaton. Has anyone noticed this?

It is Raggedy Ann, a popular doll. Dorothy does not have red hair.
wrecan

Postby The Pink Warlord » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:20 pm

You go in to save a down comrade only to be downed yourself

Erfworld has turned into Left 4 Dead
The Pink Warlord

Postby bladestorm » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 pm

Staberinde wrote:Prediction: Ace will get decrypted and will fight for GK sometime soon.

His hardware and combat ideas synch excellently with Parson. It's going to be a real waste if Parson - Ace pairing is not explored.

Put some quatloo on it.

Another option Parson has for one side to gain full control of the garrison... order all of his remaining troops to turn to Jetstone just before he turns as well. Jetstone would then have full control of the garrison and could put out the fire. It's a huge sacrifice and potentially a very grave mistake, but it would save all remaining units. It would also drastically change the story line after this. How would Wanda deal with Stanley trying to order her to attack Parson? would GK even continue trying to destroy JS?

Extrapolating from that, Wanda splits off to found Goodminton after she refuses to attack the side that has Parson on it (muttering something about being loyal to Fate, and the VHW). Jack is with Parson on JS's side. Faq has full reign to attack GK, since everything Jillian cares about is no longer tied to that side. Parson then has to figure out how to use a healomancer, dittomancer, hat magician, dollamancer, and a foolamancer to win his next big challenge.

Or, GK continues its vendetta against JS. Dwagons, hobgobwins, decrypted, and two arkentools vs a broken army, a tactician, a dollamancer, foolamancer, hat magician, dittomancer, and healomancer. A battle of survival between all that is noble and decent... and all that is vile and unholy, not to mention unspeakable.
bladestorm

Postby Sixty » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:50 pm

The Pink Warlord wrote:You go in to save a down comrade only to be downed yourself

Erfworld has turned into Left 4 Dead

Watch out for Twanks
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Aquillion » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:53 pm

vintermann wrote:What I'm wondering is what Parson's change of plan means. He wants to take out the king, obviously, but how does that really help with the whole inferno business, beyond taking out one more unit? I don't think Slately's bonus is all that big.

Also, I don't think Parson knows about the double-business, or that Tramennis is now heir.
Since Parson doesn't know Tremennis is the heir now, he thinks that killing the king will still end Jetstone immediately.
Aquillion

Postby Salem » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:17 pm

elecampane wrote:I don't think it's an end to Sylvia: there were not enough buildup for that. Not after the whole page of her telling about her plot armor.
And since Reds are supposedly immune to friendly pyre as well and golems are not, perhaps GW came out of that on top. Also I hope Ace survived explosion due to golem plushie shield.
Doll puzzles me slightly though. I don't think Slately will freak out mightly over its destruction, since the whole town is going to be burned or captured - it would probably be destroyed either way. Or has that doll had some other purpose aside from being decorative reminder?

Upd: but if due to a fall Sylvia would become incapicated, battle would become hilarious, since none of the leadership would be able to move

I think it's more the fact that they destroyed it. He probably doesn't know why as he knows it to be a decoration. It's an emotional thing. The last momento he has of someone he loved was smashed by someone who was burning his house down anyway. It would be like someone cutting your family photo to peices before burning the house down, there feels like some kind of personal attack there, some emotional attack. His feewings are hurt. I'm afraid of another angry rant against moral depravity while ignoring his own sides. I like clonely.
"Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)!"
Salem
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby rlc » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:04 pm

vintermann wrote:
Kyrt wrote:
What I'm wondering is what Parson's change of plan means. He wants to take out the king, obviously, but how does that really help with the whole inferno business, beyond taking out one more unit? I don't think Slately's bonus is all that big.

Your last sentence answers the previous question.
rlc

Postby joosy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:34 pm

It still begs the question as to what the rest of Charlie's plan is. Whatever it is, it has to happen before GK takes the garrison. The whole inferno scenario happened after Charlie's plan so that wasn't part of the original plan. My money is still on the remaining Haggar forces using captured Archons to keep GK from controlling the garrison. Of course, the inferno may just relieve Charlie of the need for that part of the plan.
joosy

Postby Eax255 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:02 pm

I think I know what Charlie's plan could be. The whole city is under uncontrolled fire. The next step on the plan would be to end JS turn to cause inferno. This can be done by convincing Slately to end the turn or by waiting Slately to croak and then convince Tramennis to end the turn. Of course, if Slately doesn't end the turn and nobody croaks Slately, this plan wouldn't work.
There are, however, two other flaws with this. It's not certain that ending the turn would be enough to cause inferno. The other flaw is that turn-switch spell. It could be possible that GK's turn would continue after the end of JS turn or something like that.
The city burning could be part of the plan as Charlie could possibly use some kind of suggestion based thinkamancy thing or something like that. Or it could be related to 'the trade' used to revive her. Regardless, Charlie plan seems to be related to the fire as there isn't much other things that could kill Parson before the end of JS turn.
Eax255

Postby bladestorm » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:23 pm

Eax255 wrote: Regardless, Charlie plan seems to be related to the fire as there isn't much other things that could kill Parson before the end of JS turn.

Send in Haggar, however many Archons have enough move to get there, whatever Faq units have enough move left to get there, whatever TV units can get there, and whatever nearby Sides Charlescomm can manipulate/strongarm/blackmail into joining the battle. Take no chances and go for overkill.

With Wanda conveniently trapped in MK, if he loses any Archons in this battle, he doesn't have to worry about seeing them again in someone else's raiment. ~150 should be enough to handle Parson, especially if they are directed in waves to prevent a single nuketrap from destroying the entire fleet at once. Line them up in the adjacent hexes so that they have a better chance of survival from Parson's tricks, then hammer away until the entire city is nothing but a smouldering ruin. It may be overkill, but so was the number of Archons Charlescomm sent to occupy the airspace of GK during that last battle.
bladestorm

Postby Azukar » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:10 pm

Staberinde wrote:It's going to be a real waste if Parson - Ace pairing is not explored.

Oh, I'm sure if you search the slashfics, you'll find at least one where that pairing has been explored ;)
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby ShieldOfAthena » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:28 pm

bladestorm wrote:With Wanda conveniently trapped in MK, if he loses any Archons in this battle, he doesn't have to worry about seeing them again in someone else's raiment.
Bodies only depop if not moved. If I had a a dozen Archon corpses laying around, you can bet I'd move them. Right to wherever Wanda was, by preference.

Holy crap.... non-casters can't go through the portal into the MK. But objects can, would dead bodies go through the portal just fine? Could Parson and Wanda make a (literal) mountain of corpses and toss them all into the MK, have Wanda go through and decrypt them? Wanda may be the only person on Erfworld capable of launching a legitimate attack on the MK. Can't think of a good reason for it off-hand, but you never know.
ShieldOfAthena
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions