Guest art reactions

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Guest art reactions

Postby BarGamer » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:50 am

AHAHAHAHAAAAA, it's Mr. T! Or a black Zangief, judging from the accent...

Either way, this is pretty awesome. At 5AM, I can say with perfect confidence that it's my favorite as well.
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby GenuityX » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:02 pm

No kidding, right? That is an absolutely awesome piece! Very well done! Hell, the rest of us should just quit and let elddonnemar do the rest!
Check out my Art Hole at http://genuityx.deviantart.com/
GenuityX

Postby GenuityX » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:43 pm

teratorn wrote:I seem to be the only one liking Pat Jacobs' work. I particularly liked the pikers, his Parson looked like the "real" Parson, Maggie and Sizemore are great. I even like the colours and lines people complain so much about. Now I just wonder if that makes me pretentious or a flat out liar.

Err... yeah. Sometimes I say things and they are meaningful...The other 99.9% of the time...I just kinda have to laugh at myself. No, No...don't think you are either of those filthy things. I can take a compliment! So thank you for appreciating my stuff. And for making me sound like an ass! I needed that embarrassed laugh. ;)
GenuityX

Postby BarGamer » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:08 am

So, teratorn, what is it about Pat Jacob's art you liked, specifically? Ok, Parson looks particularly fat and ridiculous, like a dog who hit a glass sliding door. Hamstard is well-drawn. The pikers are in the background, a little blurry from distance. I can dig those. Please, wax pretentiously, if it will help me "get" it.

PS: This is written slightly after midnight, just got back from seeing Tim Burton's "9," so I am feeling pretty awake and lucid. My apologies for any feelings I've hurt from my 5AM antics.
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer

Postby quindraco » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:27 am

I'd like to declare that from now on, in my heart, Zhopa will always be referred to as "Mr. Z".
--
QuinDraco
quindraco

Postby dholm » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:34 am

Wow, the art for #23 is awesome! Almost as if Jamie drew it instead of a fan. Very well done.

I especially liked the emblem the Twoll has in his chest hair. Made me chuckle.
--Dan Holm
dholm

Postby GenuityX » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:23 am

BarGamer wrote:So, teratorn, what is it about Pat Jacob's art you liked, specifically? Ok, Parson looks particularly fat and ridiculous, like a dog who hit a glass sliding door. Hamstard is well-drawn. The pikers are in the background, a little blurry from distance. I can dig those. Please, wax pretentiously, if it will help me "get" it.

PS: This is written slightly after midnight, just got back from seeing Tim Burton's "9," so I am feeling pretty awake and lucid. My apologies for any feelings I've hurt from my 5AM antics.

Okay.. I think I can make this great mental leap and maybe..just maybe I can see that the fantastic person and creator of aforementioned, and surpassed guest artist, is being poked fun of. I think I feel a sniffle coming on. Seriously though, I think you got it. I think I called this piece slapstick art for all intents and purposes in an earlier post. There ain't any beauty in it, but it makes my point. The particularly fat and ridiculous Parson (My favorite type of Parson) walks into a magical barrier like a dog hitting a glass sliding door is about the whole point. I ain't real deep. Please dig into the layers of subtext if you feel so inclined, with as much venom as you got. Cause bad recognition is better than no recognition at all. :)...or so I'm told.

1. I'm jealous because I have not yet seen 9.
2. If people come here and seriously get their feelings hurt, then please by all means..Let's get all Jerry Springer in here. It add some humor to my day to see people "internet geek fight." However I don't think it will help the community for one the greatest web comics known to Tools and non tools alike.
3. Thanks, I liked my Hamstard too. He still makes me giggle. I enjoyed drawing him.
4. This for you Bar, and others who truly did not enjoy my guest art and have let me know, then feel free please send me a request of art work non erf world related. I will do my best to up your opinion of my work. Freely and willingly. If that doesn't help, then I guess I have truly failed to entertain you. This is a serious offer made from the bottom of my heart with no amount of sarcasm attached.
5. For all the color comments...Yeah..well... I have no excuse. I'm not color blind, just color stupid.
GenuityX

Postby GenuityX » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:29 am

For update 32, Great stuff! Parson's face killed me! Well done and congratulations!
Last edited by GenuityX on Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
GenuityX

Postby BarGamer » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:57 am

Dude, I'm totally not making fun of you. If anything, you're confusing the hell outta me. But if you wanna draw something for us, I do have some RPG characters that could use some gift art...

Tim Burton's "9" was like the cast of LittleBig Planet in Fallout 3, with the Matrix machines as the bad guys, the Horcrux as the MacGuffins, and the ending of
Spoiler: show
FF:Spirits Within.

Also, a cameo of WALL-E would've been awesome. Incidentally, ...Fallout 3 needs a mod that changes all the RoboBrains into WALL-E, which attack by stealing your gear and degrading their Repair, but has the random chance of making a perfect Custom Weapon.

Banana's face did it for me. Sounds like Parson needs to slim down.
BarGamer

Postby moose o death » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:12 am

i figured zangief for zhopa, for that update, i wouldn't leave a twoll in it's underwear anywhere near my food

that's another update that i like by itself but not as erfworld. the art is excellent, but far too lifelike. but i'm the kind of person who considers well drawn characters to be lifelike in their drawn style. just like a live action southpark wouldn't be the same. lifelike erfworlders just doesn't gel with me.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby DevilDan » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:50 am

Everybody likes what they like. I like everyone's expressions in 32. Poor, poor dwagon.
Last edited by DevilDan on Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Gez » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:10 pm

Zhopa is hilarious. As is Banana.
Gez

Postby elddonnemar » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for the kind comments. Makes all the hard work worth while. :D

And yes, Zhopa is designed to reference Zangief because of his accent and name. It was incredibly fun to draw him. Haha.

that's another update that i like by itself but not as erfworld. the art is excellent, but far too lifelike. but i'm the kind of person who considers well drawn characters to be lifelike in their drawn style. just like a live action southpark wouldn't be the same. lifelike erfworlders just doesn't gel with me.

Moose o death's comment is right on the mark. This is my first 3 point perspective illustration, so I was too focused on the technical aspects and didn't keep in mind the feel of Erfworld as much as I should. The proportion of the troll is indeed too life like. I wanted to draw Parson a bit more life like to contrast with the cutesy cartoony feel of Erfworld, but I didn't carry through the concept all the way. The colors are off too, for those of you who have access to the toolbox. The colors of Erfworld carries a great amount of the feel, and I totally botch that. There's not enough saturation and the hues are just wrong. [sigh]

Despite these failings, I had a lot of fun and energy while working on this piece, and I would love to do more fan art for Erfworld. When I do, I will definitely keep these lessons in mind.
elddonnemar
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby DevilDan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:42 am

Just like Eugene's (in update 32), Elddonnemar, there's more to it than the traditional color scheme or style. If I spent a few days, I could come up with something that matched a prototypical character/model sheet and that has the right hues and tones... but it wouldn't have the grace, the humor, and the artistry of your work. You don't need to be told that technical proficiency is only part of the package.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby GenuityX » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:14 am

elddonnemar wrote: The colors are off too, for those of you who have access to the toolbox. The colors of Erfworld carries a great amount of the feel, and I totally botch that. There's not enough saturation and the hues are just wrong. [sigh]

I personally preferred Jamie's summer update sketches of the characters. I feel the simplicity of them actually allows more expression of the characters. I tried to have my own update follow that style rather than the more "monster cutie" style of book one. Look how badly I was off. You are a much better artist than I, and still it is hard to do. While I agree the colors of your tool box version are more muted than Book ones super saturated colors; However, aside from all the excuses one could give for the more muted colors, it goes well with the piece. No one can Erf as well as Jamie Noguchi and it takes years in order to copy some one's style. We can't replace his art, but I have seen all the guest artist honor his style to the best of their abilities. I think that is the best we can do. Hell, even Jamie's style shifted around a bit until he found his groove. He will probably continue to experiment in book 2.

Honestly, aside from my opinions as an Artist, but as a fan, no one has it down "Right" yet. Who cares? I would jump at the chance to another piece, (I'm still riding the high for being allowed to do one!) As much as I would love to do it though, I want to see more pieces from people more skilled than I am. Like yourself, Rykka, or Eugene. (I like the others too, but these were the first names that come to mind :) ) This comic has not been "traditional" since day one! They were raised on another website, provide full page, beautiful artwork, take hiatuses but with content, and open the floor to any artist that wants to give it a shot. Hopefully Rob will continue to pick guest artist of higher and higher caliber.

Okay this was a really wordy reply,I need a buzzer that warns me when I'm rambling....I guess what I'm trying to say is Good Job, hope to see more. Colors look good... at least your can color!
GenuityX

Postby moose o death » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:27 am

DevilDan wrote:Just like Eugene's (in update 32), Elddonnemar, there's more to it than the traditional color scheme or style. If I spent a few days, I could come up with something that matched a prototypical character/model sheet and that has the right hues and tones... but it wouldn't have the grace, the humor, and the artistry of your work. You don't need to be told that technical proficiency is only part of the package.

dan if you ask any artist if they are happy with their work, they will say no and rattle off everytrhing under the sun they feel they could do better. if they don't they aren't artists, those people are illustrators. if you consider anything you do to be art you'll keep tweaking it until you destroy it. da vinci worked the mona lisa for decades. it has an oriental background, what appears to be a man's body and a womans head.

praise is one thing, artists love it, but they value constructive crits as well. like i said the zhopa update is technically brilliant art, it doesn't suit erfworld's art style very much in my eye's nor apparantly the original artists eye's. if i could pull off that kind of anatomical accuracy i'd be quite happy. i'm not sure i'd be drawing twolls in budgie smugglers, but i'd be much happier with my character work than i am now

eg,
https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/937971/longroad.jpg
is the "i'm going to bed" snapshot for a gif i'm making that starts that character at an armature, the timestamp at that point is 6:45 pm so 3.25 hours to that point four major issues listed as to what i think needs doing. as well as many others i don't list. to be honest i'm struggling with this sculpt as i'm avoiding using any reference art at all. trying to remember as much anatomy as i can. i'm already considering caving in and fetching my anatmy books
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby DevilDan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:40 pm

I quite agree moose; I'm just mentioning failing to matching the color scheme perfectly, to cite one issue, detracts only very slightly, if at all, from my own enjoyment of the piece.
DevilDan

Postby teratorn » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:50 pm

BarGamer wrote:So, teratorn, what is it about Pat Jacob's art you liked, specifically? Ok, Parson looks particularly fat and ridiculous, like a dog who hit a glass sliding door.

But Parson is fat and clumsy, not heroic, he's not an Ansom and he doesn't want to be one. With last update (#32) you got yet another example on how ridiculous Parson can be. But he doesn't care, he is learning stuff. Pat got it quite well I think.

The pikers are in the background, a little blurry from distance. I can dig those.

Yes, they're nothing more than a collection of blurs, but they still look like pikers

Please, wax pretentiously, if it will help me "get" it.

I don't want to help you "get" it. It doesn't bother me that other people don't like it.
teratorn

Postby zbeeblebrox » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:53 am

DevilDan wrote:Everybody likes what they like. I like everyone's expressions in 32.

I like everyone's expressions in 32 also! (because I made it :D )

I agree that elddonnemar's is hilarious (nice angle choice, too) and Rykka's is jaw-dropping, but I really gotta give props to Alisa as the one I'm most impressed with. Reason being is her color choices completely set the tone for absolutely every single guest artist's entry, mine included. I mean, compare what we did with Jaimie's entries. His aren't actually sepia-toned. Instead, he used an often-intense color as a highlight, almost monochromatically, and usually with bold, heavy strokes. And sometimes it was just a flat, sharp, spot-coloring.

When it came time for most of us to do the colors, it's clear that we weren't following Jaimie; we were following Alisa. Not even intentionally, either. Hell, I didn't even realize it until I reread the updates after my post. By being first, she ended up creating the subconscious blueprint for how Summer Update Guest Art should look. In fact, only Pat Jacobs' contribution strayed outside the muted Red-Yellow/Brown range (an unwittingly brave move on his part).

But just imagine it, Alisa: had you chosen a really hideous color scheme for your first image, everyone's entry would've sucked. And it would be all your fault. ;)
"The rumors which surround me are myriad, you know. Myth and legend, wild speculation, paranoid suspicions..."
- Charlie, in reference to the forum members
zbeeblebrox

Postby teratorn » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:09 am

zbeeblebrox wrote:I agree that elddonnemar's is hilarious (nice angle choice, too)

ahhh, I hadn't seen that one... the horror!!!!
teratorn

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions