Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 – Page 102

Postby balder » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:19 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 – Page 102

Postby sanjmerchant » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:27 pm

<snip>
Last edited by sanjmerchant on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanjmerchant

Postby madmaw » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:30 pm

Parson's just about to meet the king
madmaw
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Frosted » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:30 pm

The big take away is that
#1 Sylvia is dead
#2 It looks like that teddy golem crouched behind that rock in panel 4 is cradling Ace. (Who is presumably still functional after commanding his golems to wedge in front of him in the last update)

Edit: Weren't all those dwagons decrypted? Why did they leave flaming pieces as opposed to dusting?
Last edited by Frosted on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frosted

Postby bladestorm » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:31 pm

Now to find the two panels that had to be redone. The future of the comic is held within.

and...

NNNNOOOOOOOOO! Not SYLVIA!!!!!!
bladestorm

Postby MonteCristo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:40 pm

It does look like sylvia did just dust; seems like her infamous luck ran out

Frosted wrote:#2 It looks like that teddy golem crouched behind that rock in panel 4 is cradling Ace. (Who is presumably still functional after commanding his golems to wedge in front of him in the last update)

Yes, it looks like there's a chance Ace might have made it out of their alive
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby oslecamo2_temp » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:44 pm

Frosted wrote:Edit: Weren't all those dwagons decrypted? Why did they leave flaming pieces as opposed to dusting?

Because the author doesn't seem to bother to follow any kind of continuity anymore and is just changing rules as it goes along. Plenty of green dwagons had been stabbed and slashed until today while fighting side by side with reds. Just in page 101 do they suddenly become walking demolition bombs just because. And now decrypted leave flaming pieces just because. And red dwagons burn like everybody else just because. Except for that cloth golem that has aparently looted Sylvia's plot shield.

Seriously, when did green dwagons became walking bombs? How come Stanley ever survived to overlord commanding a dwagon fleet when it should have self-destructed the moment someone shoots down a green?
Formerly oslecamo2, unable to acess old acount.
oslecamo2_temp

Postby name lips » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:47 pm

All the dwagons aren't decrypted. Remember, some of them had units on top converted suddenly to Heavies, so they lowered to the ground automatically because they were suddenly unable to keep flying.
name lips

Postby Frosted » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:49 pm

oslecamo2_temp wrote:
Frosted wrote:Edit: Weren't all those dwagons decrypted? Why did they leave flaming pieces as opposed to dusting?

Because the author doesn't seem to bother to follow any kind of continuity anymore and is just changing rules as it goes along. Plenty of green dwagons had been stabbed and slashed until today while fighting side by side with reds. Just in page 101 do they suddenly become walking demolition bombs just because. And now decrypted leave flaming pieces just because. And red dwagons burn like everybody else just because. Except for that cloth golem that has aparently looted Sylvia's plot shield.

Seriously, when did green dwagons became walking bombs? How come Stanley ever survived to overlord commanding a dwagon fleet when it should have self-destructed the moment someone shoots down a green?

Not to dampen your angst or anything but Ace's speech beforehand alludes to the fact that Sylvia is being reckless and has the dwagons too close together. As in it never came up before because no one would be that irresponsible, save Sylvia.
Frosted

Postby Sixty » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:55 pm

Obviously the two panels that redone were to show Sylvia dusting to ensure the forum wouldn't spiral TOO far out of control over debate of whether she really was gone for good.

>_>
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Aquillion » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:58 pm

ALRIGHT, WE GET IT, JACK IS GOING TO DIE. You've done enough foreshadowing now.

:(

(I'm not really serious; it's probably just that I've read too much TVtropes. But is anyone else getting that sense? I mean, he doesn't really seem to have any purpose here except to die, and narratively it's been made pretty clear that Parson needs to learn the harsh realities of war.)
Aquillion

Postby Vreejack » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:10 pm

It was a fitting end for Sylvia. Her insanity was beginning to make her character awkward, and an inferno was how she gained her abilities in the first place. She was definitely a liability for her side.
So...Watashi wa mizugorō ga sukina koto o kiita, neh?
A Prediction is what would have happened had there been no Prediction. What is scary is that they are also what will happen in spite of the Prediction.
Vreejack

Postby kefkakrazy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:14 pm

Been wondering how long she'd last.

Rest in peace, you crazy bitch.

Xin, if you read these, Panel 5 may be my favorite thing you've ever done. Read into that what you will, but good job either way!
kefkakrazy

Postby shamelessmerc » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:20 pm

I will believe Sylvia is dead when I see her dust and not before!

I don't care that she is on fire, I don't care that she is immobilised in the middle of the courtyard that's on fire. She is the number one Karma Houdini in this universe and she is not going to dust just because we all want her too. As of the end of this strip, she is still alive and well (being on fire or hewn limb from limb doesn't slow people up much around here)

I'm really surprised at all the pre-emptively delighted people - no corpse, no kill; or in this case - no dust, no death.
shamelessmerc

Postby Aquillion » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:23 pm

I also think it's interesting how fast people went to wanting her to die after recent events. She was hugely popular before we found out how crazy she was (and that crazy started to endanger the main character.)
Aquillion

Postby 0beron » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:31 pm

I'm very curious to see what she meant by "I win". Did she survive a second longer and thus count as capturing the Garrison?

shamelessmerc wrote:I will believe Sylvia is dead when I see her dust and not before! I don't care that she is on fire, I don't care that she is immobilised in the middle of the courtyard that's on fire....

You also apparently don't care that she DID dust, as evidenced by the classic "PARCH" sound effect that her legs dissolved into.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby fjolnir » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:33 pm

oslecamo2_temp wrote:

it's like hitting a person in the stomach and them belching, some artistic licence is being taken but the inference is that the uncontrolled release of the gas was enough to cause a catastrophic dwagon failure, though some reds probably should have survived.
fjolnir

Postby drachefly » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:37 pm

oslecamo2_temp wrote:Plenty of green dwagons had been stabbed and slashed until today while fighting side by side with reds.

Just how side-by-side were they? Were they at that moment preparing a breath attack?

oslecamo2_temp wrote:Just in page 101 do they suddenly become walking demolition bombs just because.

Once the combo effect had been established, this was not a stretch.

oslecamo2_temp wrote:And now decrypted leave flaming pieces just because.

Every hobgobwin yielded a living dwagon below, except for those dwagons that died to arrows. The greens and reds are in the background of the pages with the fleet, so it's not easy to find, but there were a fair number of mounted hobgobwins present.

oslecamo2_temp wrote:And red dwagons burn like everybody else just because.

Fireproof is not explosion-proof.

0beron - if she thought that, then she was mistaken due to the presence of Clonely. Perhaps she meant she was going to survive again.
drachefly

Postby sanjmerchant » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:37 pm

<snip>
Last edited by sanjmerchant on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanjmerchant

Postby King Mir » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:44 pm

Aquillion wrote:ALRIGHT, WE GET IT, JACK IS GOING TO DIE. You've done enough foreshadowing now.

:(

(I'm not really serious; it's probably just that I've read too much TVtropes. But is anyone else getting that sense? I mean, he doesn't really seem to have any purpose here except to die, and narratively it's been made pretty clear that Parson needs to learn the harsh realities of war.)
Parson already lost a friend to war. He wouldn't learn anything new from Jack dieing that he hadn't already leaned from Bogroll.
King Mir

Next

Return to Reactions