Book 2 – Page 103

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 103

Postby drachefly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:52 pm

As for the sword, he'd been holding the staff, and that went away, so he wasn't quite ready with the sword. I don't see a problem with that.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby arkerpay » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:11 pm

What if an entire side were armed with Ace's rayguns?
arkerpay

Postby Nakedkali » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:33 pm

I don't think the Hollydoll is now a camo GIJoe. I think she's a patched up Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas doll.
Nakedkali

Postby effataigus » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:36 pm

drachefly wrote:As for the sword, he'd been holding the staff, and that went away, so he wasn't quite ready with the sword. I don't see a problem with that.
Panel 1 and 5... he's holding the sword in what, we can only assume from the link below, is his sword arm:
http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F133.jpg

I'm not trying to imply that this is a big problem for me or anything... just a lil puzzling why he would attempt a difficult martial arts manuever as a go-to reflex when discombobulated. Admittedly, it definitely does obey the rule of badass... but doesn't really fit with my notion of Parson.
Last edited by effataigus on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Staberinde » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:39 pm

+1 to compliments on art. Great work Xin.
Staberinde
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:48 pm

effataigus wrote:
drachefly wrote:As for the sword, he'd been holding the staff, and that went away, so he wasn't quite ready with the sword. I don't see a problem with that.
Panel 1 and 5... he's holding the sword in what, we can only assume from the link below, is his sword arm:
http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F133.jpg

I'm not trying to imply that this is a big problem for me or anything... just a lil puzzling why he would attempt a difficult martial arts manuever as a go-to reflex when discombobulated. Admittedly, it definitely does obey the rule of badass... but doesn't really fit with my notion of Parson.

I'd thought he'd held the staff in both hands in panels 6 and 7, but now I see he wasn't. Hmm. Well, maybe he didn't have a good swing because at first he had the decrypted soldier next to him, and then he was next to the throne!
drachefly

Postby effataigus » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:19 pm

Or mebbe the king is a unit with multiple hits (perhaps due to his armor), and this is just how Erfworld rationalizes things when someone is hit but not killed. Seen many RPGs work that way.

The awesome thing about this interpretation is that Parson might be just as shocked by his kicking the king as I was :lol:
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby fehler » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:24 pm

I refuse to believe that Parson is badass enough with a sword that he can change his grip, one-handed, in the midst of a battle, twice, off-panel.
fehler

Postby fehler » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:29 pm

The doll has been promoted to Sergeant.
fehler

Postby gobe » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:53 pm

Frosted wrote:Jack says "I'm with you" in the first panel, and heads up the stairs. I'm guessing we won't see him for a page or two. Then he will croak Slately as Slately is about to croak Parson.

I believe this for two reasons.
#1 Jack is clutch
#2 Because Jack trumps King (and Ace for that matter)

Rob loves words having multiple meanings, and Jack's last name is Snipe... he's going to snipe the king?
gobe

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Whispri wrote:I suspect this is a case of simply not knowing his own strength, how often will he have kicked someone of Slately's size?

I'm less charitably thinking that Parson changed his mind (lost his nerve) about having a path cleared to Slately and decided (in panic) to use his units as meat shields, hoping the pew pew runs out.

Even if his fumbling with the sword stopped him from bringing it to bear, he'd have been better off grappling Slately. If he has units to spare as meat shields, then he has units that could stab Slately while he's pinned.
Chit Rule Railroad
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Hidden Sanity » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:41 pm

Spot wrote:
slb wrote:Also can someone explain to a non-native speaker like me the horrible pun that Ace is supposed to have done with the "doll in your court" ?

It's from a basketball-themed saying, "The ball is in your court," meaning that the person you say it to has the initiative.

Technically, it's from Tennis to start with.

The other side of the pun is, of course, that the doll is literally in the King's court.
Hidden Sanity

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:31 pm

arkerpay wrote:What if an entire side were armed with Ace's rayguns?

Would be an interesting sight, though I can't help but suspect they have a limited life span or number of uses.

ManaCaster wrote:
Dancing Cthulhu wrote:In the real world maybe, but Ace has never come off as anything but loyal to Jetstone (plus the whole duty/loyalty compulsion) and joining forces (but not turning) with Parson doesn't seem to benefit Jetstone at all. Sans a turnamancer (or decryption) or words strong enough to convince him to betray Jetstone, Cubbins etc it seems unlikely.

How about these words...

Parson: "Hi prisoner. So you're a Dollamancer huh? What's that do? Create Battle Bears?"
Ace: "It can do far more useful things than that. But Jetstone just wouldn't see reason until now. I can create accessories to make our units stronger."
Parson: "Show me."
* Ace makes a new accessory for Parson *
Parson: "That does sound more useful. How would you like to create accessories for Gobwin Knob?"
Ace: "Really?!"

Maybe, though that tact shouldn't reduce him to pliable putty so easily - he's recently had the satisfaction of getting Jetstone to appreciate the value of his accessories. Die or be captured, he'll do so knowing his non-conventional dollmancy was an integral part of Jetstone turning around its fortunes in this battle.

Plus his best accessories all seem to involve some input from Cubbins. Unless the nature of the conflict changes, he'll think any aid he gives GK is aid in them possibly destroying Jetstone and his little buddy, who he's already shown he's prepared to die to save.

gobe wrote:
Frosted wrote:Jack says "I'm with you" in the first panel, and heads up the stairs. I'm guessing we won't see him for a page or two. Then he will croak Slately as Slately is about to croak Parson.

I believe this for two reasons.
#1 Jack is clutch
#2 Because Jack trumps King (and Ace for that matter)

Rob loves words having multiple meanings, and Jack's last name is Snipe... he's going to snipe the king?

I picture a verbal sniping. Though I have been wondering if his cane contains some kind of weapon. A sword, maybe.
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby Spot » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:48 pm

effataigus wrote:

I'm 6'4", and I've studied martial arts.

Trust me; kicking a midget in the chest would not be a "difficult martial arts manuever."
Spot

Postby Spot » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:50 pm

arkerpay wrote:What if an entire side were armed with Ace's rayguns?

Less QQ, and more Pew Pew, I would imagine.
Spot

Postby Saladman » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:28 pm

I agree on Xin's art, its excellent.

I like that we're seeing an effect of Parson being a Heavy. Heavies are supposed to be tough, and a Heavy Warlord should be formidable, more so if he ever gets more levels under his belt. Its not surprising he doesn't know his own full strength in Erfworld combat, this being only his second time in personal combat.
Saladman

Postby Lamech » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:33 pm

There are a couple options for Parson's badassery:
1) He is a level 2 heavy warlord. Yes, he's only level 2, but he's still a heavy and a warlord.

2) He isn't being badass. What the hell is he doing randomly changing sword grips? He kicked a midgit in the chest instead of beating him with a sword. He sent the guy flying to his preferred range.

3) A combination. He still has the stats of a heavy/warlord. So he kicks hard, but he has no clue what he is doing really. Hence why he didn't bring the sword down.

I prefer the third in all honesty.
Lamech

Postby cheeseaholic » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:01 pm

effataigus wrote:Or mebbe the king is a unit with multiple hits (perhaps due to his armor), and this is just how Erfworld rationalizes things when someone is hit but not killed. Seen many RPGs work that way.

The awesome thing about this interpretation is that Parson might be just as shocked by his kicking the king as I was :lol:

The infantry unit getting stabbed through the chest and still fighting kinda goes against the it hits him in the head because it kills him idea.
cheeseaholic

Postby jkosta » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:02 pm

Dancing Cthulhu wrote:I picture a verbal sniping. Though I have been wondering if his cane contains some kind of weapon. A sword, maybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIWYy97-KsQ#t=20s
jkosta

Postby tgriff02 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:10 pm

Where is this infantry that is getting stabbed/piked/ear-raped/brutalized in the head everyone keeps referencing? I see a JS guard with a blade sticking out of their back in panel 4, but haven't found anyone fighting on with a should-be-mortal would yet. Still looking, but a map would not be amiss atm.
tgriff02

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions