Major Site News RE: Xin

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Major Site News RE: Xin

Postby 0beron » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:59 pm

I'm not sure if Rob plans to repost here, so apologies if I'm stepping on any toes. But he posted the following announcement regarding Xin, and I for one wanted to echo his words. Xin has been an incredible artist and I'm sure I speak for many when I say it's been hard to "watch" someone so talented suffer as badly as she has. Xin you should definitely feel incredibly proud, you have given us a phenomenal level of artistic talent, and no doubt made massive contributions to the story itself. It takes an immense amount of maturity (and self-sacrifice) to pursue a dream as passionately as you have, and even more so to give that up. Thank you so much, and best wishes in everything you do!

I think we can all assume that Rob has a great deal on his plate as well, so the update delays while Xin continues to complete Book 2 have the silver lining of giving Rob time to focus on the other Erf projects going on now, so I definitely don't see this as a detriment to us fans. We love you Xin!
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Re: Major Site News RE: Xin

Postby CelebrenIthil » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm

Thank you for your hard - and absolutely amazing - work, Xin!
As an artist myself I know all too well the challenges of pursuing a career in the domain and balancing the rest of one's life - it's a work of passion, but it can also be merciless. People often have no idea of the ungoldly schedules an artist can force upon themselves to respect their deadlines without compromising their standards of quality. And the quality of your art is amongst the best I've seen for webcomics, especially as quality/time goes, and I follow a lot of webcomics. The level of detail (The.Level.Of.DETAIL.Holy. Boop.), the lush and vibrant coloring (which you did all by yourself, from sketch to lineart to colors to shading I'm not sure people realise what a workload it is on a single person), the poses and expressions, the character design and the environments/architecture, the visual call-outs, and so on. Just having to do the research on how to draw a background character so we readers could delight in wondering who they are and where they are from...
You've done a real Titan's job and I am grateful, and humbled. I've tried my hand at illustrating a comic strip in the monthly students paper and I thought it required too much discipline, too much talent at scene building and posing and planning for dialogue space for me to believe in my chances of working in the comic/webcomic business.
You managed to do it, and honestly at quite fast a pace for the quality of the output, for quite long!
I tip you my hat, and I wish you all the very best, and I hope that everything you've made for Erfworld impresses anyone looking at your portfolio as it deserves - and your work deserves a lot.

As we say over here: Bonne chance Xin, et bonne continuation! xoxoxox
My Dwagons!
Red: Kelvin Yellow: Newton Green: Langmuir Blue: Ampere Purple: Decibel Pink: Pascal
build6 wrote:It's true, we're all gay for Tramennis, even if we're straight :-)
CelebrenIthil
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Kyrt » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:55 pm

0beron wrote:I'm not sure if Rob plans to repost here, so apologies if I'm stepping on any toes. But he posted the following announcement regarding Xin, and I for one wanted to echo his words. Xin has been an incredible artist and I'm sure I speak for many when I say it's been hard to "watch" someone so talented suffer as badly as she has. Xin you should definitely feel incredibly proud, you have given us a phenomenal level of artistic talent, and no doubt made massive contributions to the story itself. It takes an immense amount of maturity (and self-sacrifice) to pursue a dream as passionately as you have, and even more so to give that up. Thank you so much, and best wishes in everything you do!

I think we can all assume that Rob has a great deal on his plate as well, so the update delays while Xin continues to complete Book 2 have the silver lining of giving Rob time to focus on the other Erf projects going on now, so I definitely don't see this as a detriment to us fans. We love you Xin!

I'm shocked.

I can only wish Xin the best of luck and state without reservation that the replacement has quite a task to live up to. Xins' work to date has been amazing and I'm really sorry to see her leave.

All the best.
Kyrt
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Zeku » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:43 pm

Xin, it was a great run, as I have remarked several times, you improved steadily, adding in all kinds of new ideas at regular intervals.

Somewhat unfortunately, your best work didn't appear in the comic itself. All of your best poses, perspectives, and settings appeared in the Inner Peace (Book 0) black+white updates. These images fleshed out Erfworld far better than the Book 1 artist did, and his work was powerful at evoking a setting.

This, however, remains my favorite, from Book 2:

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -12-20.png

Rob, new artist for each chapter! It's a precedent now, you can't ignore it. Lets chew through these sacrificial lambs like frenzied spidews.
Zeku

Postby niklinna » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:15 pm

I am not an artist, but I have greatly appreciated and enjoyed each and every update, even without firsthand knowledge of the ridiculous amounts of work that go into them—but I can guess!

Thank you so much, Xin, for your wonderful contributions to Erfworld, and best of luck with your family.
niklinna
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby C9H20 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:38 pm

Well, that is my answer.

Best of luck Xin, you truly did some amazing work despite of it all.

The delays will be rough, for all of the known reasons, but I can't really complain about a free product.
C9H20

Postby Wild Card » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:03 pm

I've thoroughly enjoyed every damn updates with Xin's art, Thank you so much for your hard work and good luck with your life :)
The wise's speculation is always better than the fool's certainty.
Wild Card

Postby Beeskee » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:11 am

Xin, thank you for all your wonderful work on Erfworld. If we have expressed frustration at the update schedule, please understand it is only because you have helped to create the artistic version of crack - and we're addicted. :D I wish you the best of luck with everything, and I hope that it works out well.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby bladestorm » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:32 am

Any clues as to who the next artist will be, or samples of their work?

And just how much longer is Book 2 going to be? Is it going to be artificially shortened with this news, or will we plug along for another 50ish updates?
bladestorm

Postby Tiger » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:55 am

Xin, I've been a fan of Erfworld ever since I wondered what this new thing on GitP was, and I just wanted to say that you've done an AMAZING job. Your illustrations have been nothing short of awesome, and I love everything about the way you've drawn the comic. I'm sorry to see you go, and wish you luck in your future endeavors.
Tiger

Postby motorfirebox » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:39 am

Thank you so much, Xin. I've really enjoyed your artwork and I really hope your situation at home improves.
motorfirebox

Postby MacBone » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:25 am

Xin, you've been fantastic during your Erfworld run! I've greatly enjoyed your artwork, and I hope we get a chance to see more comic work from you in the near future. Thank you for being one half of a tremendous comic duo.
MacBone

Postby Azukar » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:32 am

Best wishes, Xin, from all of us.

Living up to yours and Jamie's legacy will be no easy task for the next illustrator!
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby pendell » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:21 am

I also wish to thank Xin for her hard work and wish her the best. She is a very talented illustrator, and I'm sorry that family obligations and the rest of life have combined to be a temporary obstacle to her dreams. I'm hoping that someday, sometime, in the future you will once again be able to pursue your dream of becoming an illustrator. But until that happy time, thank you SO much for your work here. May your dwagons never run out of move.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
pendell

Postby AJR » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:58 am

Made an account so I could add my voice to the multitude.

I love Xin's work for Erfworld, and I appreciated her commitment to the comic even as her 'RL' life was going all kinds of tits-up. I'm pretty sure nobody was too put out that you didn't provide some of the extras that you wanted, or that they had to wait a while for each lovely page.

I wish you and your family all the best, Xin!
AJR

Postby YesNinja » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:56 am

Back when Xin first came, I remember thinking that she could never replace Jamie, and I was very disappointed. How wrong I was. They both had different styles, and I'll miss them both. I wish you the best of luck, Xin, and my thoughts are with you and your family.

On another note, and I don't mean to be morbid, is this a precedent? Are we going to be getting a new artist at each new Book? Or is it that when we lose an artist, you'll stop the Book? Or is it neither of those, and just a coincidence?
YesNinja

Postby magnutc » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:51 pm

I know we're always hungry for some new Erfy goodness to consume, and that updates can never come fast enough, but I'd like to suggest (that's suggest, not insist or badger or demand) that we keep this thread centered on a very important and well-deserved focus: our gratitude and best wishes for Xin. Rob will tell us stuff when there's stuff to tell.

Xin, you've done a truly amazing job with this content - content that requires myopic attention to tiny details (that turn out to not be so tiny, later on down the line) and precision navigation of a forum full of continuity-punishing trolls. But that's just a compliment to your patience and focus - which completely ignores the most important nod of all: to your art itself. You've managed to capture the playful-while-grim spirit of Rob's opus in a really clean, really crisp, really descriptive way. It's not every artist who can manage infusing adorable characters with gravitas, and you've nailed it over and over and over again. You're an incredible artist, and I'm absolutely certain that whatever you produce down the line - in the spaces between real life's demands - will be just as stunning as the work you've done here.

I wish you every possible good fortune in whatever comes next - not least of all discovering what life means with a new balance and new responsibilities with your family's business. I hope when you look back at the work you did here on Book 2, you're every bit as proud as you need to be - because it's amazing stuff.
magnutc
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby tgriff02 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:43 pm

As much as I hate tos ee you go Xin, Best wishes and thanks for the awesome, Awesome, AWESOME amount of work that you put in to this. The next artist will have BOAT sized shoes to fill, although I look forward to seeing their interpretation of Life on Erf as well. Thank you for your devotion to detail and rich/complex imagery. Erfworld is truly as much fun and as thrilling to LOOK at as it is to read, truly emersive, and that can only be accomplished by the best of artists. I hope that you family situation smoothes out so that you may find time to pursue your passions while still keeping the world spinning in the future.
tgriff02

Postby frei » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:14 am

Ouch, that sucks. Xin will be missed for sure. :( I hope book 2 goes on for a while longer.
frei

Postby TheMutant » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:24 pm

I wish I was a better wordsmith so that I might articulate what an inspiration your work on Book 2 and 0 has been for me Q____Q The slow updates have never bothered me; Erfworld is so good that I'm just unconditionally whenever a new update appears, whether they come in days or months. I wish you the best in all your future endeavors, and thank you so much for all the wonderful work you did for the comic!
Join the Erflings fanart gallery on DeviantArt!

Sixty wrote:Obviously the mystery caster has no particular feelings one way or the other about Parson, he simply heard "cue the Benny Hill music" and gave chase, compelled to do so by forces outside his control.
TheMutant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Next

Return to Everything Else Erfworld