Book 2 – Page 106

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 106

Postby teratorn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:55 am

fjolnir wrote:Can't Pink Dwagons put out fires?

They are the ones burning.
teratorn

Postby Kreistor » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:00 am

fjolnir wrote:Can't Pink Dwagons put out fires?

Not after it reaches inferno status. Only a Dirtamancer can save it now. (Comes from the Klog mid-Book 2.)

Archons:

The last we see of GK's archons is here:
http://www.erfworld.com/page/56/

And some are shown to have survived the onslaught. We see Clonely abandon the aerial battle immediately after this page, because he achieved his monetary goal. He left Airspace and ceased looking for Archons, so all of the Foolamancy protected Archons are still, presumably, alive. Not a lot will have survived, but we have no indication of 100% losses. And now that they have freedom of movement in the city, they can move to sections that aren't yet burning to buy time until the inferno can be quenched..
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby multilis » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:00 am

Book 2 - Page 107

Jillian's person log

Jillian felt a disturbance in erfworld. Something was wrong. Very wrong. All her life she had felt others love and lust for her. Now suddenly it was like no one wanted her!

"That was pretty clever how you got the portal up again Parson!"

"Save your praise Wanda, Charlie may attack at any time, I need everyone decrypted. Start with Jack, hurry!"

"Wanda"

"Jack"

"Wanda, you look very beautiful to a fool."

"Jack, you look good yourself! Jack I am tired of playing second fiddle in love... Jack... lets make babies!"

"Babies?"

"Its something I saw when I summoned Lord Hamster. I finally understand... I'll teach you..."

"Jack! Wanda! Where are you? I need you!"

"Sorry, Parson... Love is a battlefield, we are busy filling it! Please look after our babies!"

"Babies?" Suddenly Parson noticed all the little figures popping into existence around him. They looked strangely familiar, some looked like...
multilis

Postby 0beron » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:32 am

An interesting counter theory to the "Charlie loses if he claims he wants to kill Parson and then fails" idea. It's a very risky maneuver, but he could actually gain a great deal by doing that. Charlescomm is the "we can do anything for the right price, and succeed" solution. So if Charlie actually fails something for the first time (that they know of) it may actually motivate other sides to unite against Parson. They get talking and think "Wow, this guy is dangerous enough to outplay Charlie, and he's working for the side of evil, we really DO need to work together against him."

Of course it could backfire and lead them to think Charlie isn't worth the cost, but I think that Parson's successes might be driving Charlie to accept riskier odds than normal.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby TheMutant » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:54 am

heee, the dwagon art in this update <3

...now I wonder if Parson just lost the chance to level up a bunch from killing a Ruler, though, since he threw Slately to the dragon instead. Or would a dupe even give out EXP? Hm.
Join the Erflings fanart gallery on DeviantArt!

Sixty wrote:Obviously the mystery caster has no particular feelings one way or the other about Parson, he simply heard "cue the Benny Hill music" and gave chase, compelled to do so by forces outside his control.
TheMutant
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby cheeseaholic » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:54 am

I'm wondering what happened to the bat. The city fell, so is it croaked? Or does it not count? Does it have tiny bat manacles on? Do allied units count for holding a city? If not why does GK take the city instead of Transalvetia? Unit number? Zones controlled? Could lead to some...interesting battles.

Slatley poofed, but he moved the capital first, so Jetstone is still alive and fully functional. I wonder which way Tremmenis will march now. Haggar likely won't go after the anymore, without an heir to start a spinoff kingdom at the moment anyway, Jillian will do titans knows what, and Transevletia is currently in a power struggle and isn't likely to do anything quickly without outside intervention of some sort. Who's beyond Jetstone? The next line of nations might start to enter now. Though with the RCC crippled GK might try to head for Charlescom first instead. If they're close enough. And if Parson gets Wanda those corpses. Otherwise they'll likely be on the defensive again.
cheeseaholic

Postby cheeseaholic » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:56 am

Wait did that banner behind Parson just randomly start on fire? Maybe the fire break idea won't work out then.
cheeseaholic

Postby teratorn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:12 pm

cheeseaholic wrote:Wait did that banner behind Parson just randomly start on fire? Maybe the fire break idea won't work out then.

You can't fire break an inferno, or hide from it, it will burn everything flammable in the hex, including flying units. The only options are leaving the hex or having a dirtamancer put it down.
teratorn

Postby Noigel » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:13 pm

- I wonder if Vanna's Wheel of Fortune turn-changing display is still in the city and possibly claimed by GK now.

- Whatever Parson does, it appears he wants to save Jack maybe, even if that requires him to somehow bring Clonely back too. Do we know all of Parson's equipment? Was his entire kit detailed or discussed somewhere? Staff of Suckage, etc?

- Wanda, Sizemore, Maggie can't really be left in the Magic Kingdom... there's got to be some detail letting us know where they end up. Whether Marie and Janis help them get back to GK or they go to Parson.

- Parson still has the scroll, no bets on whether he uses it before the end of Book 2... it could easily be an item for use in later books from now.
Noigel

Postby ManaCaster » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:33 pm

Kreistor wrote:Archons:

The last we see of GK's archons is here:
http://www.erfworld.com/page/56/

And some are shown to have survived the onslaught. We see Clonely abandon the aerial battle immediately after this page, because he achieved his monetary goal. He left Airspace and ceased looking for Archons, so all of the Foolamancy protected Archons are still, presumably, alive. Not a lot will have survived, but we have no indication of 100% losses. And now that they have freedom of movement in the city, they can move to sections that aren't yet burning to buy time until the inferno can be quenched..

Some survive the initial onslaught, but no, not a single archon survives the battle (unless you count the captured one). All of Gobwin Knob's archons are gone. The Jetstone units break off briefly to heal, and Slately uses the thinking cap to see through the Archon's foolamancy. Later, Captain Archer confirms that all of the archons have been destroyed, save the one they captured: http://www.erfworld.com/page/48/
ManaCaster

Postby Tathar » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:41 pm

teratorn wrote:
Tathar wrote: This update confirmed to me that Parson will work a deal with Tramennis rather than Slately, unless Wanda decrypts the real Slately and something weird happens. That could happen, since the real Slately wouldn't be aware of any of this stuff about an inferno and Charlie wanting Parson dead.

Slately's body was destroyed, a la Bogroll.

Oh right. Anyway, it doesn't matter if Slately's gone for good now.
Beeskee wrote:I was reluctant to assume Charlie was the Wizard, since it seems like if a butterfly farts in an unmapped hex, we're all ready to assume it's somehow part of Charlie's grand schemes to control the wind or whatever.
Tathar
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Pokota » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:09 pm

I've got the solution to the Charlescomm bluff. City was on fire before capital was switched. Charlescomm has been monitoring the situation from the word go. A quick word with the Carnymancer, and we have ourselves some Kentucky Fried Hamster.

Besides, Parson knew he was running headfirst into a trap. Marie told him so.
zyxophoj wrote:Also, it depends rather heavily on Wanda ... not being Wanda.
Pokota

Postby Free Radical » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:31 pm

teratorn wrote:You can't fire break an inferno, or hide from it, it will burn everything flammable in the hex, including flying units. The only options are leaving the hex or having a dirtamancer put it down.

Where was it said that an inferno would kill all flying units in a hex? The Klog on infernos mentions "destroying the area" (raze city, destroy structures, hex type changing to ash), but Unaroyal had basically no air units present and they're not really discussed. The emphasis of Parson's tactical analysis is mostly on the fact that the entire garrison can be destroyed by an inferno, but since airspace isn't part of the garrison he doesn't really touch on it.

The assumption by Charlie (if it's his main plan) and Slately that Parson can't escape the inferno by flying is because he's a heavy. I still think "control-z" refers to "undoing" the promotion of a normal unit to a heavy, meaning Parson and as many units as possible can mount dwagons and enter airspace now that they control the city.
Free Radical

Re:

Postby teratorn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:57 pm

Free Radical wrote:Where was it said that an inferno would kill all flying units in a hex?

It is said that all units without fire resistance have to flee area or otherwise croak and that
it works like a dirtamancy trap. I see no caveat about flying above the area being enough.
And we have direct evidence, we have seen an example of a dirtamancy trap before, with
archons burning in the airspace.
teratorn

Postby bladestorm » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:06 pm

Jack's death is looking a lot like Sylvia's first death. Maybe Parson hires a carnymancer to cast over him for ten rounds, and the heir that was supposed to pop revives Jack instead. There's got to be a reason that portion of the story was included. Maybe instead of Jojo fawning over Sylvia, it can be the chick in the tophat and tights fawning over a roguish knave.

And it is not implausible that Charlie expected an inferno. GK had already used that tactic once at Motoroyal, and possibly other time. Set the city ablaze and claim it with a single, riderless red. Parson also used a huge inferno-esque trap to win at GK. There's a pattern of scorched earth tactics. There's also the range thinkamancy afforded by the Dish. A single Suggestion spell on Sylvia would nudge her to watch the world burn.
bladestorm

Postby joosy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:30 pm

No no no.. Parson is going to gut one of the surviving non-decrypted reds and hide inside it from the fire. The scene will take 1/2 a year of updates to play out and will be rife with pop culture references from Empire Strikes Back.
joosy

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:10 pm

cheeseaholic wrote:Does it have tiny bat manacles on?

Oh lord, I hope so.
Edit*
Fixed, sorry.
Last edited by Shai_hulud on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Sky Schemer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:18 pm

Charlie's plan may not have involved the inferno before, but it's pretty clear to me that his plans changed once an opportunity presented itself.

The original plan was to eliminate Parson using Jojo on page 62. When that failed, he had to come up with Plan B: take advantage of the delay imposed by the thinkamancers to hold him in the MK, this time using Jojo and other carnymancers to ensure there was no deal to allow Parson to go through. This was, I think, just a mitigation strategy to buy time for Spacerock as the battle evolved, but maybe he was also hoping Parson would slip up and get nailed by the thinkamancers.

But then, Plan C presented itself: Sylvia lit up the garrison on page 86. At this point, the plan was still to keep Parson in the MK, but then on page 88 Charlie calls Slately-double and poses a new plan on page 99: trap Parson in the city. Shortly after that, Jojo drops his objection to letting Parson through the portal...thanks to a call from Charlie explaining what's changed.

That is why the capital had to be changed. At this point, Plan C is to trap Parson in a city with a growing fire that Charlie knows is there. TO do that, the portal has to go away.
Sky Schemer
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Sky Schemer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:28 pm

joosy wrote:bah. I'm still not buying the reasoning on why Slately had to risk himself and other units to switch the capitols.

If the point was to trap Parson in Jetstone all Charlie had to have Slately do is to wait until Parson was in Jetstone and then retreat all units out of the garrison thus giving control to GK and closing the portal. The whole 'switching capitols' plan appears to just be there to demonstrate to us how a mechanic is used in game so that Parson can manipulate it to his advantage in the future.

Charlie took advantage of the fire. Once Sylvia set the garrison on fire the plan became "trap Parson in the burning city".

Giving him control of the city through a retreat would leave Parson in charge of a city with troops able to put out the fire. By closing the portal and keeping the battle going, the odds of the fire going inferno increase, and the troops and time available to Parson to put out the fire decreases. It's a gambit: much of Spacerock is sacrificed to increase the odds of trapping Parson with no obvious way out.
Sky Schemer
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby name lips » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:40 pm

At this moment, Trem has become Overlord.

I wonder if he will be willing to negotiate with Parson.
name lips

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions