Book 2 – Page 107

Postby balder » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:53 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 – Page 107

Postby rkyeun » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:58 pm

Oh BOOP.
Charlie thinks this is gg.
Last edited by rkyeun on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
rkyeun

Postby Knight13 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:00 am

Stanley actually managed to pull some decent sarcasm there. And I think that might just be the most detailed face we've seen for him yet in panel 6.
Knight13

Postby kefkakrazy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:06 am

Daaaaaaaaaang, so here we see the real steel trap snap shut.

And this is why we have the "slately=pawn" symbology, because I'm sure at least some of you guys have predicted that this is less a ploy to capture Parson than it is to turn him. Charlie had him over a barrel before and seemed willing to offer him a darn fine deal; now Charlie has him inside the barrel which is currently on fire, which I doubt is a very solid bargaining position.

I haven't been trying to think ahead very much, just so I could take things as they come, but right now, I'm still slightly unsure if Charlie's going to try to proposition Parson (at enormous cost to Parson; thinking "indentured servitude" would be a step up) or if he's just going to cut his losses and try to take him out.

My PERSONAL bet would be on option B, but that's more hope than anything else; Rob's been good to us so far with delivering quality story, but Parson as a Charlie captive sounds rather unappetizing, considering it would largely neutralize him as a force for quite some time.
kefkakrazy

Postby ManaCaster » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:10 am

Switching the capital would have been too dangerous anyways. All Charlie would have to do is setup a trap for Stanely on the way over to switch back to Gobwin Knob, or even just attack Spacerock directly. Since that option has been closed, I'd say Fate wants him to do something else. The only other way I can think of is splitting off the side. Unless Charlie showing his hand is enough to change the Tool's mind of course.
ManaCaster

Postby ManaCaster » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:21 am

Oh, and this update croaks any remaining doubt there could have been that Jack bit it.
ManaCaster

Postby 0beron » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:24 am

Awwwww I'm a little disappointed :? When he said "Control-Z" I was expecting something more clever than the plan we have been suspecting all along :roll: I really hope he has an alternative in mind and was just trying the Tool cus it's the easy option.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:25 am

You have to wonder: Was parson always going to iterate through the choices, or did the script change just to tease us?

ManaCaster wrote:Switching the capital would have been too dangerous anyways. All Charlie would have to do is setup a trap for Stanely on the way over to switch back to Gobwin Knob, or even just attack Spacerock directly. Since that option has been closed, I'd say Fate wants him to do something else. The only other way I can think of is splitting off the side. Unless Charlie showing his hand is enough to change the Tool's mind of course.

Interesting point. We know from early in Book 1 that the Tool doesn't like Charlie. Them both being in the same chatroom might provoke something.
Sir Cedric: Delayed? How so?
Wamba: Well, when I heard Normans were approaching I ran to lock up my wife. But, she'd also heard they were approaching, and locked me up instead.
Lor
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Aquillion » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:27 am

It's the logical thing to try, though, so it's natural that he'd go for it first. If he hadn't even bothered to try it, we'd be asking why not.

Now, the real question: Why did the call cut off? Was Stanley interrupted? Was Maggie interrupted? Did Charlie use a kill signal?
Aquillion

Postby 0beron » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:30 am

Lor wrote:We know from early in Book 1 that the Tool doesn't like Charlie. Them both being in the same chatroom might provoke something.

That's assuming of course that the Tool can see this. Charlie may be broadcasting to Parson's book only, or he may have even disabled the entire network and thus the Tool isn't seeing Parson's messages either.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby BobVosh » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:32 am

ManaCaster wrote:Switching the capital would have been too dangerous anyways. All Charlie would have to do is setup a trap for Stanely on the way over to switch back to Gobwin Knob, or even just attack Spacerock directly. Since that option has been closed, I'd say Fate wants him to do something else. The only other way I can think of is splitting off the side. Unless Charlie showing his hand is enough to change the Tool's mind of course.

I figured Charlie cut the books off from one another, and isn't revealing himself. Along with blocking Maggie. Possibly through the arkendish.
BobVosh

Postby Wren » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:33 am

Doesn't he still have the scroll on him? A better shot than inforo-y death...
Wren

Postby Lor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:34 am

True enough about us wondering if Parson didn't try.

I also wonder if all the revelation of how Parson has been played, led, and placed into a corner (just like Slately) will trigger something else. "I am not a game piece, I'm a player! *ROAR*" Remember, the predictamancers wanted him there. I find it hard to believe they went through all that to kill him.

If you start going tin-hat, maybe they want him to turn to Charlie, but that seems a bit out there.
Sir Cedric: Delayed? How so?
Wamba: Well, when I heard Normans were approaching I ran to lock up my wife. But, she'd also heard they were approaching, and locked me up instead.
Lor

Postby ManaCaster » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:37 am

Wren wrote:Doesn't he still have the scroll on him? A better shot than inforo-y death...

Well, sure, but as far as Parson is aware, he isn't a caster, his existing caster is croaked, and assuming Ace is even alive, he wouldn't give Parson the time of day right now. Besides, Fate doesn't want Parson to die. He doesn't have to cheat.
ManaCaster

Postby ETheBoyce » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:43 am

So Jojo said the scroll would send Parson home, when Judy used the slippers the first time her home was still Erfworld and so she remained, perhaps the scroll when send Parson back to GK
ETheBoyce
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby ManaCaster » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:47 am

Even if Parson gets the portal open again, I wonder how he's going to order Sizemore through. He doesn't have enough time to get to the portal himself. Now that Charlie's revealed his hand, it wouldn't surprise me if he jams the Eyebooks, which would prevent Parson from communicating remotely. Maybe the Predictamancers are going to play another role?
ManaCaster

Postby Hopper » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:47 am

I think it's interesting, Charlie's word-choice.

He treats Parson like a Player, reminding him that he had a choice of a 'way out' (assumption being that this means to leave the 'game'). Charlie shows that he knows that Parson is in some ways capable of Extraordinary Free-Will, probably more than a regular unit could have. (Few units would even contemplate abandoning their side, particularly if they're not joining a new side.)

This certainly wouldn't make sense to an erfworld unit, to whom 'way out' wouldn't have any significance, since they would only be familiar with Erfworld.
Hopper

Postby ManaCaster » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:48 am

ETheBoyce wrote:So Jojo said the scroll would send Parson home, when Judy used the slippers the first time her home was still Erfworld and so she remained, perhaps the scroll when send Parson back to GK

Doubtful. Charlie wants Parson out of the game entirely. He would make sure that Parson wouldn't end up back in Gobwin Knob.
ManaCaster

Postby Whispri » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:51 am

@Charlie: It's always to soon to gloat. If you must gloat, do it quietly, alone, once your enemy is dead.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby XenocideSoldier » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:51 am

Well, I think this confirms Charlie has power over ALL thinkamancy links, or at least the ones Stanley had. Disconnecting and intercepting calls seems like a REALLY bad thing for Tool. And Parson. And Erfworld. My guess is Charlie is trying to force Parson to use the scroll, not trying to croak him. I'm guessing the scroll somehow gets him under Charlie's command, as Charlie had many simpler, more effective options to croak Parson. I think Charlie knows Parson's ultimate power in Erfworld, and will do anything to get him, despite his remonstrations about his artifact at the battle of Gobwin Knob. Scary as Charlie is, though, I'm still absolutely terrified of Olive Branch, and I REALLY hope she ends up dying. That chick is friggin' SCARY.
“If a journey took place in the past, we can see its beginning, middle and end. From our privileged perspective here in the future, we see all. We see as the Titans do. But this is not our privilege while on a journey.”
XenocideSoldier

Next

Return to Reactions