Book 2 – Page 107

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 107

Postby MizuRyuu » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:10 am

Zeku wrote:What did he mean 'a good chunk of the treasury?'

I know the dragons got self-sacrificed, and a lot of troops burnt up, and Jack died.

What did they spend money on?

I assume the money was spent on upgrading all those units to Heavy at the start of the Food Fight...

I have a feeling the ArkenShoes will make their appearance at the most dire moment... Unlimited movements even during opponents turn would allow Parson to escape Spacerock and get all the way back to GK... I refuse to believe that the ArkenShoes are gone forever and would only appear in Book 0...
MizuRyuu

Postby Sokrotes » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:10 am

I know the dragons got self-sacrificed, and a lot of troops burnt up, and Jack died.

Perhaps promoting all the Hobgobwins to heavies? Though I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that by croaking some of the dwagons they also got some smuckers back, so overall I feel it wouldn't be a "huge chunk" so I dunno. :| I was wondering this too.
Sokrotes

Postby Sokrotes » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:12 am

MizuRyuu wrote:

I assume the money was spent on upgrading all those units to Heavy at the start of the Food Fight...

I have a feeling the ArkenShoes will make their appearance at the most dire moment... Unlimited movements even during opponents turn would allow Parson to escape Spacerock and get all the way back to GK... I refuse to believe that the ArkenShoes are gone forever and would only appear in Book 0...

Arn't those the shoes Jillian is wearing?
Sokrotes

Postby MizuRyuu » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:19 am

Sokrotes wrote:
MizuRyuu wrote:

Were they? I remember reading that the overlady took the shoes with her when she went back to her world?
MizuRyuu

Postby Sokrotes » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:35 am

MizuRyuu wrote:
Sokrotes wrote:
MizuRyuu wrote:

Were they? I remember reading that the overlady took the shoes with her when she went back to her world?

That's right, I forgot. Yea, I think the shoes are gone. As useful as they'd be it's not there fate to appear in this battle, perhaps never again.
Sokrotes

Postby ManaCaster » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:36 am

MizuRyuu wrote:
Sokrotes wrote:
MizuRyuu wrote:I have a feeling the ArkenShoes will make their appearance at the most dire moment... Unlimited movements even during opponents turn would allow Parson to escape Spacerock and get all the way back to GK... I refuse to believe that the ArkenShoes are gone forever and would only appear in Book 0...

The Arkenshoes disappeared with her. Though, if its anything like the source story, the Arkenshoes probably didn't make it to her world. They probably got dropped at Erfworld's equivelant to the desert border or gnome king.
ManaCaster

Postby Umbrella_merc » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:42 am

I'm sure the Arkenshoes will come up at somepoint, you can't let such a gamebreaker be known about and then not do anything with it.

Really hoping the Parson and inferno issue doesnt drag on like parson/portal

also Stanley has most excellent taste in cakes
Umbrella_merc
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Whispri » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:12 am

MizuRyuu wrote:I have a feeling the ArkenShoes will make their appearance at the most dire moment... Unlimited movements even during opponents turn would allow Parson to escape Spacerock and get all the way back to GK... I refuse to believe that the ArkenShoes are gone forever and would only appear in Book 0...

I'll note again that Wanda spent most of Book 1 wearing red shoes. Regardless, I don't see them bailing Parson out of this, as someone would first have to bring them to him.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Doctor Foreman » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:51 am

Nice entrance for Charlie...there's something I like about crushing the other side's communications. For me it goes back to Star Trek: First Contact, when the Borg drown out Starfleet transmissions to broadcast their call to surrender. Super-intimidating.

Also, is there an intentional echo in dialogue?

Book 1:
Parson: But you guys have a way out. And I want you to use it.

Book 2:
Charlie: I gave you a way out, Parson. You should have taken it.
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

Postby Lemarc » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:33 am

DarkMonkey wrote:Hm. It's easy to blame the Arkendish because Thinkamancy is involved, but let's not forget that Charlie is a Carnymancer as well. Disrupting the mechanics of another discipline fits that purview, and if Parson somehow survives having him be more paranoid about his primary means of communication would be a nice consolation prize.

The Wizard of Oz was not really a wizard, remember.
Lemarc

Postby Max™ » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:16 am

Umbrella_merc wrote:I'm sure the Arkenshoes will come up at somepoint, you can't let such a gamebreaker be known about and then not do anything with it.

Really hoping the Parson and inferno issue doesnt drag on like parson/portal

also Stanley has most excellent taste in cakes

Chekhov's Gun, though red shoes would make a decent red herring I suppose...
Max™

Postby Jinren » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:09 am

Sokrotes wrote:

Perhaps promoting all the Hobgobwins to heavies? Though I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that by croaking some of the dwagons they also got some smuckers back, so overall I feel it wouldn't be a "huge chunk" so I dunno. :| I was wondering this too.

Stanley is paranoid about his treasury though, and seems to get angry about expenditures of even a few hundred schmuckers despite being fantastically rich. He would have said the same thing to Parson even if the only thing he'd done was promote himself and left it at that.
Jinren
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Tathar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:11 am

rkyeun wrote:Oh BOOP.
Charlie thinks this is gg.

Don't all villains think that right before the plan goes horribly wrong?

Parson managed to get enough details in for Maggie to take over and use a suggestion spell on Stanley, at least. Plus, when Charlie forced the connection to close (that's what he did, right?) Maggie would have had to know something was up.
Beeskee wrote:I was reluctant to assume Charlie was the Wizard, since it seems like if a butterfly farts in an unmapped hex, we're all ready to assume it's somehow part of Charlie's grand schemes to control the wind or whatever.
Tathar
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Free Radical » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:15 am

So, Charlie is disrupting communications by eyebook so that Parson can't try to order Stanley to change capitals. I wonder if, much like being able to contact his side's thinkamancer by thinking her name or contact Charlie through the Arkendish by thinking his name he would be able to contact any other thinkamancer who would be receptive to talking to him by thinking their name?

Isaac certainly is interested in keeping Parson alive and is likely to be paying attention, particularly since Maggie will probably tell him about that message. Even if the Arkendish was responsible for blocking Maggie rather than her running out of juice, Isaac as a high level master-class thinkamancer might have some resistance to it. Could Parson contact Isaac to re-establish a thinkagram to Stanley to order the capital change?
Free Radical

Postby Tathar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:16 am

0beron wrote:Awwwww I'm a little disappointed :? When he said "Control-Z" I was expecting something more clever than the plan we have been suspecting all along :roll: I really hope he has an alternative in mind and was just trying the Tool cus it's the easy option.

I think Rob's trying to keep us entertained with a good execution here, to be honest. If your plan goes off without a hitch in a story, be very afraid.
Beeskee wrote:I was reluctant to assume Charlie was the Wizard, since it seems like if a butterfly farts in an unmapped hex, we're all ready to assume it's somehow part of Charlie's grand schemes to control the wind or whatever.
Tathar
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby fjolnir » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:20 am

he spent the money to upgrade himself to a non-garrison unit and then another 18000 schmuckers to make the hobbos heavy, then he killed most of the dwagons and decryped them and left.
fjolnir

Postby Arcana » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:34 am

About that scroll... I think that it would be difficult to create a scroll that would send Parson back to Stupidworld, or dispell the summoning spell. Charlie would need to have the help of the Predictomancers to do that. Also, why do people think that Jojo was telling the truth when he told Parson what the scroll did? It would be much easier to create a scroll that would teleport someone to another city, like Charlescomm. I think that Charlie is forcing Parson into a position where he has to use the scroll, but instead of sending Parson home, it teleports him to Charlescomm.

I hope this makes sense. Let me know if I am off base here.
Arcana

Postby hajo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:38 am

So, plan A (switching capitals, then bringing in Sizemore to put out the inferno) didn't get approved by Stanley...

How about plan B: just raze the city. No city --> nothing to burn --> no fire.
Rebuilding can be done later 8-)
Maybe they can even get some schmuckers out of it...
-HaJo

You Only Live Twice or so it seems,
One life 'till you croak, and one 'till you dust.
hajo

Postby arkerpay » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:48 am

Parson can still get out of this by following a simple 9 step plan.

(a) Starting his own side which will create a portal.
(b) Ally with GK.
(c) Bring in Sizemore from MK to put out the fire.
(d) Bring Wanda from MK to decrypt Jack and anyone else salvageable.
(e) Casters and Parson return to to MK.
(f) Non-caster survivors mount dwagons.
(g) Raze city.
(h) Survivors fly to GK/Parson enters portal to GK.
(i) Parson and his side formally turn back to GK.

Easy peasy.
arkerpay

Postby Doctor Foreman » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:58 am

arkerpay wrote:Parson can still get out of this by following a simple 9 step plan.

(a) Starting his own side which will create a portal.
(b) Ally with GK.
(c) Bring in Sizemore from MK to put out the fire.
(d) Bring Wanda from MK to decrypt Jack and anyone else salvageable.
(e) Casters and Parson return to to MK.
(f) Non-caster survivors mount dwagons.
(g) Raze city.
(h) Survivors fly to GK/Parson enters portal to GK.
(i) Parson and his side formally turn back to GK.

Easy peasy.

If Parson could have started his own side so easily, I suspect he'd have gone ahead and done it rather than waste Maggie's juice, waste time and energy in the lengthy argument necessary to convince the Tool to change the capital (consider the fragile state of Stanley's self-esteem at the moment) or risk Charlie's interference in trying to contact the Tool. Not to mention the immediate advantages to having a two-way path between GK and Spacerock.

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission, and in fact Parson would have probably ended up in a better position with Stanley if he'd founded his own side and rejoined GK afterwards. It shows loyalty.

What I'm saying is, based on what we know about Erfworld it would have probably been the overwhelmingly better option to start a new side rather than simply change capitals, so I think Parson has some other reason he can't do it. Maybe he doesn't want to risk being extinguished by the summoning spell. Or maybe he has a better option up his sleeve which the spell is forcing him to consider, like at the end of the last book.
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions