Book 2 – Page 108

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 – Page 108

Postby balder » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:02 pm

http://www.erfworld.com/2013/04/book-2- ... -page-108/ is up. And I just want to comment that this page was written months ago and was not changed in response to anything said in Reactions. :lol:
balder

Re: Book 2 – Page 108

Postby Ansan Gotti » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Wondering, couldn't Parson just disband all of his friendly troops, and then start a new side?

The plot seems to point to him using the scroll, but I have to believe that Parson will think of something else to do.
Ansan Gotti
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Finn MacCool » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 pm

do i see a picture of misty there? i think i do.
Finn MacCool

Postby peteratjet » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:10 pm

Flame on
peteratjet

Postby ManaCaster » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Well, there must be some option left other than the scroll. I mean, Fate doesn't want him to die, and using the scroll would be cheating Fate. But since the scroll is even an option, maybe this incident is meant to force him to figure out his ability as a caster.
ManaCaster

Postby Aster Azul » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:13 pm

Mmmmmm... nice payoff for all the buildup, direct confrontation and dialog between Parson and Charlie.

I ship Charlie X Parson.
Like our new game, King's Ascent!
https://www.facebook.com/KingsAscent
Aster Azul

Postby frei » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:15 pm

WOO fastest two comic pages ever!!
frei

Postby Slicer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:18 pm

Ansan Gotti wrote:Wondering, couldn't Parson just disband all of his friendly troops, and then start a new side?

Does he have the power?

I foresee him doing something really insane, like cutting open a red dragon and weathering the inferno inside of it.
Slicer

Postby woort » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:18 pm

Heh, so much for all the speculation from last page.

My new theory: the scroll is designed to transport parson to Charlie's capital, so that Charlie can turn him. The predictamancer knew all this would happen, and wanted it to, so that parson can discover his own magical powers and get inside Charlie's defenses.
woort

Postby ftl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:20 pm

Nice comment there! :lol:

Shit's getting real between Charlie and Parson.

Also, this DOES point to Parson being a true caster. Nice. I didn't actually expect that, I thought he'd end up a hippiemancer in name only or something.

I wonder whether his way out will be by using his newfound caster powers in some way. He'll do the calculation, see that he can cast things, and then use more calculations to figure out some other spell he can cast to get out of there. Perhaps there's a way for a hippiemancer to calm an inferno - or maybe just postpone the inferno for one turn, or something.

I hope his way out won't be casting the spell and then winding up back in GK, like Judy and the Arkenshoes. That would be lame; it would be getting out based on Charlie's failures.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Ansan Gotti » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:24 pm

Slicer wrote:
Ansan Gotti wrote:Wondering, couldn't Parson just disband all of his friendly troops, and then start a new side?

Does he have the power?

Hmm. As I think about it, I honestly don't know. I know Rulers can disband units, not sure if we know about whether Chief Warlords can.

The red dwagons could be reharvested, I suppose. And the rest of the units could be ordered to fight the thickest of the inferno so they die before Parson does, leaving him the only unit left in the city.

Although that could certainly give him some levels back in Ruthlessness...
Ansan Gotti

Postby woort » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:29 pm

Ansan Gotti wrote:
Slicer wrote:

Does he have the power?

Hmm. As I think about it, I honestly don't know. I know Rulers can disband units, not sure if we know about whether Chief Warlords can.

The red dwagons could be reharvested, I suppose. And the rest of the units could be ordered to fight the thickest of the inferno so they die before Parson does, leaving him the only unit left in the city.

Surely if this were possible, Charlie would have thought of it? In this update he seems VERY sure that parson can't start his own side.
woort

Postby ManaCaster » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:36 pm

Ansan Gotti wrote:
Slicer wrote:

Does he have the power?

He'd have trouble reaching all the red dwagons under current circumstances, he'd have to give them a long distance kill order. And while he could get rid of the Gobwin Knob units easily enough, the Transvylto bat could be a problem, depending on how long it takes to burn.
ManaCaster

Postby Ansan Gotti » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:37 pm

Charlie isn't omniscient. If I were Parson, I would be thinking:

1) Charlie REALLY wants him to use that scroll, for some reason. Why not just let him die in the fire? So there must be some upside to Charlie if Parson uses it, perhaps turning Parson into Charlie's puppet.

2) The caster angle is interesting. As a previous poster indicated, it would be good to start using calculations to figure out what he might be capable of. Meanwhile, he could parallel track the following plan...

3) Order the remaining red dwagons to converge on the remaining soldiers, and have the soldiers all harvest the red dwagons, and then go fight the worst parts of the inferno.

4) As the units start croaking, the Tool starts receiving natural thinkamancy updates that show how dire the situation is, with only Parson remaining. Maybe that would goad him into changing the capital as Parson requested.

5) If not, Parson could still try the start a new side gambit. If that works, he walks out to the MK and learns how to use his magic.

6) If the new side gambit doesn't work (perhaps the summoning spell won't let him), then he either chooses to read the scroll or die in the fire.

7) The above is a layered set of contingencies, one of which might actually work. But at the end of the day, I'm betting Parson does something completely different. :)
Ansan Gotti

Postby ManaCaster » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:42 pm

Ansan Gotti wrote:Charlie isn't omniscient. If I were Parson, I would be thinking:

1) Charlie REALLY wants him to use that scroll, for some reason. Why not just let him die in the fire? So there must be some upside to Charlie if Parson uses it, perhaps turning Parson into Charlie's puppet.

Not necessarily. It could just be his idea of mercy for a respected foe.
ManaCaster

Postby Jamus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:43 pm

Charlie seriously tipped his hand here.

For one thing, although I'd been convinced for a long time that Charlie was erfian, as seems to be the general consensus here, I'm now right back in the stupidworldian camp. GTFO, DIAF, GG? That's too modern. I don't understand the paradox there- he couldn't possibly have gleaned that from old Kansas Judy- who came to Erfworld at LEAST 30 years ago. But then, he predates Judy in Erfworld, too. I don't think he has mind-reading powers great enough to have stolen it all from Parson, though I can't totally rule out that it's some sort of lingo-translation, star trek style, at play.

But after this, I'm seriously starting to think that he's from roughly the same era as Parson. The SPW spell searches across dimensions, and we already know time as a concept in Erfworld is more than a little weird. There were a lot of discussions about how events line up across hex boundaries, and how a great deal of "day" could elapse for one unit travelling to a hex where units would have perceived a much smaller amount of time.

So who's to say SPW doesn't call the most appropriate warlord not just from where, but when he exists?

But back to Charlie tipping his hand. This kind of desperation from him is way out of character. But also, all the trouble he went to to get Parson his get out of jail free scroll- why bother, if he's about to burn up? Either he's sympathetic to Parson in some way, (because they're both "real people" from the "real world" perhaps, similar to how Judy didn't kill Charlie), or he's still afraid Parson has some way out of this that he doesn't know.

And that's probably the biggest hand-tip of all. If Charlie truly had Parson in a bind, and truly didn't care about how Parson left the scene, just that he did.. he wouldn't be bothering with this call. "Get off the line!" - "Not gonna happen." He tells him to "try it" two separate times. He spends a calculation. If Parson was really fubar, Charlie wouldn't bother. If anything, he'd be trying to call in all the calculations he had in the few moments before Parson disappears.

So, whether or not Parson HAS another plan- and this update definitely debunked every one I'd thought of pretty cleanly- Charlie is undeniably at least worried that Parson does. And if Parson has caught on to this, he ought to be wondering whether anything Charlie said to deny those plans is true at all. Razing may well work after all, for instance. And there's no reason for Parson not to try that first, at least.
Jamus
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Ansan Gotti » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:46 pm

ManaCaster wrote:Not necessarily. It could just be his idea of mercy for a respected foe.

Yeah, see, that doesn't feel like Charlie AT ALL to me. Spend a ton of resources on a scroll, just for the sake of showing honor to a guy who toasted dozens of his precious archons?

Can't see it at all, but of course YMMV.
Ansan Gotti

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:56 pm

Ansan Gotti wrote:The red dwagons could be reharvested, I suppose. And the rest of the units could be ordered to fight the thickest of the inferno so they die before Parson does, leaving him the only unit left in the city.

This is an example of how it's the little things sometimes. The inferno appears to be separating Parson and Antium from the red dwagons - who were too big to fit in the dungeon - so it's quite likely they'd both croak before carrying out the harvesting or returning to the portal room.

If Parson had thought of it earlier, when he could reach the dwagons to either harvest them or give them orders, he probably could have ordered Antium to go barbarian, then ordered the other units to turn to Antium, then turned to Antium himself. Then Antium could have started a new side. King Antium might be inclined to align with Jetstone, but the survival of his side would depend on allying with GK - not just surviving the inferno, but remaining independent when he's right next to Jetstone and has no army - versus the potential of hosting his ally's decrypted units. Moreover, GK would demand Parson back in return for risking Sizemore and Wanda.

(If Stanley were smart enough, he could still do all of that via natural thinkamancy.)

I think the scroll is either going to take Parson to a cell in Charlescomm city, or back to Stupidworld. If it is the latter, then I think Charlie is playing games to get the Arkenshoes back to Erf.
Chit Rule Railroad

Postby Zippy the Squirrel » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Maybe the scroll only sends Parson to what Charlie considers his home? If Parson and Judy are from the same world, would Charlie attempt to copy whatever magic sent her home and stuff it in a scroll? Maybe the scroll would send Parson to Kansas.
Zippy the Squirrel
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Guppy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Jamus wrote:And that's probably the biggest hand-tip of all. If Charlie truly had Parson in a bind, and truly didn't care about how Parson left the scene, just that he did.. he wouldn't be bothering with this call. "Get off the line!" - "Not gonna happen." He tells him to "try it" two separate times. He spends a calculation. If Parson was really fubar, Charlie wouldn't bother. If anything, he'd be trying to call in all the calculations he had in the few moments before Parson disappears.

I agree with this analysis, but with different reasons being the driver behind Charlie's actions.

We've just had a series of comics that explores the dynamics of captured units and side-switching; I think that's a pretty good meta-hint as to what Charlie hopes to accomplish (and possibly, what game mechanics Parson will use to escape from his zero-move predicament). As for Parson, he needs to be defect to a side that still has move remaining on a turn scheduled to begin right away. And possibly also a side that is willing to relocate their capitol city for one turn, although I have no idea what Parson could possibly trade to make a side perform such a maneuver for him.
Guppy

Next

Return to Reactions