ftl wrote:I hope his way out won't be casting the spell and then winding up back in GK, like Judy and the Arkenshoes. That would be lame; it would be getting out based on Charlie's failures.
I would love
that. It's high time Charlie is shown to have a weakness or fail in a plan that doesn't involve Parson finding a way to "break" the rules.
Look at his "weaknesses" to date:
1) Lost a pile of archons in the volcano.
- As has been said a few times, trimancer link spells are so freaking potent that it is just about impossible to either predict their effects or plan against them. So, no strike against Charlie there.
2) Seems really afraid that GK/Parson will use decrypted archons to discover his secrets.
- Every secret the archons told Parson was more informative than trans-formative. Charlie didn't lose anything.
3) RCCII forbid royal sides from dealing with him.
- That didn't slow down Jillian or in the end the leading side
of the RCCII coalition from dealing with him. Hell, Tram was willing to deal with Charlie when it looked to JS like JS held every card, so how rigid was that prohibition, anyway? Charlie probably has contracts with most or all of the remaining RCCII sides as well.
4) Inconsistent Minds which Change Their Minds don't like him.
- Has caused him problems by sparking the creation of the Parson summoning scroll, otherwise no real threat since Charlie can do anything conceivable regarding thinkamancy. Actually brought him more business in TBfGK than it would have otherwise.
5) Stanley hates him.
- So what? That didn't keep Wanda from saying that CharlesComm was the last side
that GK would ever go up against, because Charlie is an attuned 'tool owner.
I'd love to see Charlie make a real mistake. So far, he's the Mary Sue of this story. He has any power he needs, when he needs it. This continues to go tiredly on and on even in the past two strips, assuming Charlie has something to do with the cancellation of Maggie's thinkagram and the reason the Tool isn't on the Eyebook communication. His only potential foil has been Parson, and Parson has only really managed to stay alive himself and keep GK alive, not to really harm Charlie in any significant way. Parson is an irritant to Charlie, nothing more. Hell, Parson is the reason Charlie was hired by JS twice
in book 1, bringing him more income!
Charlie only fears Parson due to his potential
to be more than an irritant, not due to any real impact Parson has had on Charlie to date.
Ansan Gotti wrote:
ManaCaster wrote:Not necessarily. It could just be his idea of mercy for a respected foe.
Yeah, see, that doesn't feel like Charlie AT ALL to me. Spend a ton of resources on a scroll, just for the sake of showing honor to a guy who toasted dozens of his precious archons?
Can't see it at all, but of course YMMV.
You're right, it isn't like Charlie. But it is like Charlie to try to make it seem that way when it's down to last options. Remember, Charlie hoped Parson would use the scroll before he even entered Spacerock.
Arky wrote:Charlie is trying to distract him and keep him focused ONLY on the options already on the table.
It wouldn't surprise me if the way out is for Stanley to go ahead and change the capital.
This is possible. Perhaps via 'natural' thinkamancy. Parson did say in 107 "I'll order him [Stanley] if I have t-" right before Charlie jumped into the Eyebook chat.