Book 2 – Page 108

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 108

Postby Kyrt » Wed May 01, 2013 4:58 am

Ansan Gotti wrote:Charlie isn't omniscient. If I were Parson, I would be thinking:

1) Charlie REALLY wants him to use that scroll, for some reason. Why not just let him die in the fire? So there must be some upside to Charlie if Parson uses it, perhaps turning Parson into Charlie's puppet

Because Parson had figured a way out of the trap.

Charlie just wants him gone.

He had the scroll ready to use. It seems he just took advantage of Parsons trip to the MK to deliver it.

Q. Was the scroll for Parson? If not, who was it for? Is this a way for Charlie to return home? Can Charlie enter and leave at will? Is Charlie someone on Parsons gaming group? Is there just one Charlie? If the scroll was for Parson, how was Charlie planning to get it to him?

So...now Parson has the scroll. He is in an inferno. Charlie has had to tip his hand a bit to cut him off from Stanley but that also let's him underscore Parsons position. He wants Parson gone and he doesn't care how. Force him to use the scroll or get him killed in an inferno.

So...what are Parsons options? Use the scroll or hope Stanley changes the capital anyway? Any others?

Storywise...will Rob leave Jack dead?
Kyrt
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Squall83 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:33 am

I think Charlie accidently gave Parson a hint on what to do to get out. I mean, Charlie taught Parson that he could Predict the future with his calculator, so maybe Parson can utilize Mathamancy to calculate the odds of all of his options and he will do so because Charlie reminded him of his calculator.
Squall83

Postby Umbrella_merc » Wed May 01, 2013 6:22 am

Just want to say with the Misty banner in the back and the Bogroll statue a few pages back it's good to see them again even if just as art
Umbrella_merc
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby elecampane » Wed May 01, 2013 6:32 am

I believe at the very least Parson can use his bracelet to predict chances of scroll harming him or taking him to Stupidworld, Gobwin Knob or Charlescomm.
elecampane

Postby Lipkin » Wed May 01, 2013 6:51 am

elecampane wrote:I believe at the very least Parson can use his bracelet to predict chances of scroll harming him or taking him to Stupidworld, Gobwin Knob or Charlescomm.

Or chances of survival using the scroll vs staying put and trying something else.
Lipkin

Postby Whispri » Wed May 01, 2013 7:05 am

Yeah, If Charlie made a mistake here it was mentioning the bracer. Because if there is another way, magic enhanced maths should reveal its existance at the very least. Parson's chances of defeating Charlie and indeed, his very life, may depend on his skill at twenty questions.

Chit Rule Railroad wrote:
ManaCaster wrote:Decrypted soldiers becoming barbarians still doesn't take care of the remaining living red dwagons. He could try giving the living red dwagons long distance orders to turn, but that still leaves Transvylto's bat. He could try disbanding the bat as a prisoner I suppose, except he isn't even aware it exists. As interesting as it would be to see Parson start a new side, it looks like the entire purpose of this page was to toss away the most common theories, tempt Parson with the easy solution, and possibly hint at Parson's special.

If the bat were in the garrison and still alive, I don't think GK would have gotten control of Spacerock. (We don't know for sure if a city is lost when all defenders are gone or gained when one side has uncontested control, but my assumption is the latter.)

If the bat was outside the garrison, I doubt Don King could still send it orders after it became a prisoner, and as an unled scout wouldn't have the initiative (or inclination) to enter the inferno-engulfed garrison. I suppose it would have the move, though.

The last time we saw one of the bats it was in the airspace, which is, of course, outside the garrison. And we don't actually know what happens to Allied Units when a City falls. All the same, the Dwagons would be eating them if they were in sight. It/they probably left the hex, not much reason to stay.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Pokota » Wed May 01, 2013 7:08 am

The Tauntaun trick that's been mentioned a few times won't work for three reasons.

1) Inferno, as far as we know, ashes all units without the Fire Resistance special at the end of the Inferno phase.
2) All the Reds in the hex are decrypted, so harvesting them again would provide nothing.
3) Even if #2 is not the case, nobody in the hex has Fabrication.
zyxophoj wrote:Also, it depends rather heavily on Wanda ... not being Wanda.
Pokota

Postby Aquillion » Wed May 01, 2013 7:13 am

Something else that just occurred to me:

Parson's plan is to open the portal and go through and leave those decrypted guys to die in the fire.

I wonder how they feel about that? I mean, it must be pretty obvious at this point that his plan involved the portal, which none of them could use even if it were open.
Aquillion

Postby BrotherRool » Wed May 01, 2013 7:54 am

I would just like to say how über cool it is that the writer had successfully predicted pretty much all the ways we would have thought to solve this problem. It makes the game more fun when the gamemaker is this good
BrotherRool

Postby mroozee » Wed May 01, 2013 8:19 am

The boldest thing the author could do at this point in the story would be to let Parson die.

First and foremost, it would be shocking -- somewhere between Jason Todd and Ned Stark. For the remainder of the series (could be a year, could be 10 years or more) there would be absolutely no certainty that the new hero protagonist would come out on top - which is basically assumed by everyone in these forums WRT Parson. Charlie would be a looming, lethal threat at all times and the next perfect warlord would have no certainty of victory or even of a glorious defeat.

No way it happens.
mroozee

Postby Doctor Foreman » Wed May 01, 2013 8:35 am

elecampane wrote:I believe at the very least Parson can use his bracelet to predict chances of scroll harming him or taking him to Stupidworld, Gobwin Knob or Charlescomm.

I kinda doubt it, if only because calculating that sort of probability with the amount of information Parson has is an absurd proposition.
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

Postby thatdan23 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:42 am

Long time reader and lurker.

My prediction

Spoiler: show
Parson discovers he's a hippiemancer. Parson than makes creative use of hippiemancer spells to put out the fire. Aka put the fire at peace. Why do I say this? First it's common knowledge to us that he's a hippiemancer, and Charlie just confirmed that he can cast. Secondly, the fact that hippiemancy can be used -very- creatively was indicated not too long ago in the 'Superior Firepower' text updates. Combined? Parson puts out the fire himself, without using the scroll.

Thoughts?
thatdan23

Postby Eva » Wed May 01, 2013 8:43 am

First, I *love* the "surrender to the bat" idea. Classic.

Second, I fear that the updates are coming faster because they can tell that we've already Predicted all this so it's kind of boring, trying to hurry through to the parts we haven't Predicted yet. Sigh.

Third, harvesting etc. the dwagons etc. wouldn't be ruthless as they would all die in the inferno anyways in any case. It's a quick versus a slow death.

I hope Parson is at least bright enough to figure that if he's a caster he can maybe cast something else to save his hide.

Also, it's dubious what Fate applies to Parson, but even if he's not a great caster in any way, he could have 100% chance of success if he casts the scroll because of Fate borrowing numbers.
Eva

Postby YRM_DM » Wed May 01, 2013 8:54 am

I'd been kind of critical in the past over the amount of comics and real-world time it took for Parson to go through the portal, but, there've been a lot of reveals lately and it feels like the pace of the story is picking up. Each reader can only offer our own opinion but I'm feeling much more excited to come for the updates lately.

It looks like we might finally get to a point where Parson starts to set a goal besides just working for Stanley and winning him more territory. I agree with everyone who still thinks Charlie isn't a native Erfworlder. From the outside, other units don't know Parson isn't a normal unit either, and, he's already claimed to be a Hippiemancer so perhaps the same thing happened with Charles Branch coming in as a Carneymancer.

As for how Parson gets out of this, the path that makes the most sense to me is that Maggie tells Stanely that Charlie cut off the call as soon as Parson shared his idea, which must mean that Charlie is trying to prevent Stanley from executing Parson's idea. Stanley would hate that and do it just to prove he can. Name one thing on Erf that would motivate Stanley more than Charlie trying to prevent him from doing it?

In fact... that might be part of the trap. Maybe Charlie has Transylvito or someone ready to attack a newly moved and depleted capital with Stanley in it?

Once Gobwin Knob gets it's turn back, the non heavy units can use the dragon relay to reach the new capital so Stanely and crew could be there in one turn.

I'd also suspect that, at some point, we have to resolve the challenge of Stanley's goals and poor leadership as an obstacle to Parson, which, if Stanley does Parson a favor... I mean, hell, at that point, Rob can write an 8 month plot line of Stanley refusing to let Parson walk outside... or replacing him with Antium... (please don't) Lol.
YRM_DM

Postby Doctor Foreman » Wed May 01, 2013 8:57 am

thatdan23 wrote:Long time reader and lurker.

My prediction

Parson discovers he's a hippiemancer. Parson than makes creative use of hippiemancer spells to put out the fire. Aka put the fire at peace. Why do I say this? First it's common knowledge to us that he's a hippiemancer, and Charlie just confirmed that he can cast. Secondly, the fact that hippiemancy can be used -very- creatively was indicated not too long ago in the 'Superior Firepower' text updates. Combined? Parson puts out the fire himself, without using the scroll.

Thoughts?

1. It isn't common knowledge to us that Parson is a hippiemancer. If he was one, retreating into the Magic Kingdom would have been legitimate and he wouldn't have been immediately forced out again; he also wouldn't have had to disguise his re-entry here. More likely than not is that Janis was simply lying to try and smooth things over with the more irate casters.
2. I don't think casters can be Chief Warlord, though maybe they simply aren't used for that purpose due to lacking Leadership (which Parson has).
3. I'm not sure what update you were reading, but Charlie didn't confirm anything of the sort. He simply suggested Parson try casting it himself. If he knew Parson could cast it, he wouldn't have said "that's too bad" in response to Parson saying he didn't have a caster, and would have told Parson he could cast it instead of wasting a calculation to convince him.
4. I'm not sure exactly what "very" creative uses you're thinking of. As far as we know, Flower Power is used in intoxication and prevention of engagements. Date-a-mancy and Signamancy are concerned with human relationships and appearance, respectively. How does that fit with extinguishing a fire?
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

Postby Cnor » Wed May 01, 2013 9:17 am

Doctor Foreman wrote:1. It isn't common knowledge to us that Parson is a hippiemancer. If he was one, retreating into the Magic Kingdom would have been legitimate and he wouldn't have been immediately forced out again; he also wouldn't have had to disguise his re-entry here. More likely than not is that Janis was simply lying to try and smooth things over with the more irate casters.

He would, actually - it's strictly forbidden for Casters to go through enemy portals uninvited. That was, in fact, one thing he was banking on with this plan - he was under the impression he was just a Warlord who could enter the Magic Kingdom, and thus not covered by that. Being revealed to be a Caster was part of what caused issues.

2. I don't think casters can be Chief Warlord, though maybe they simply aren't used for that purpose due to lacking Leadership (which Parson has).

What I've gathered is that there's a special bonus for being Chief Warlord, separate from the bonus Warlords usually provide to their stack. It's entirely possible Parson's only bonus comes from that, which would neatly circumvent that issue.

3. I'm not sure what update you were reading, but Charlie didn't confirm anything of the sort. He simply suggested Parson try casting it himself. If he knew Parson could cast it, he wouldn't have said "that's too bad" in response to Parson saying he didn't have a caster, and would have told Parson he could cast it instead of wasting a calculation to convince him.

Sure he would have. Charlie has, in the past, been highly sarcastic, and moreover, is currently trying to goad Parson into not thinking about other options; it's very in character for him to say that. As for wasting the calculation, why would Parson believe anything Charlie says without some form of outside confirmation, such as that provided by his bracer?
Cnor

Postby thatdan23 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:31 am

Doctor Foreman wrote:
thatdan23 wrote:Long time reader and lurker.

My prediction

Thoughts?

1. It isn't common knowledge to us that Parson is a hippiemancer. If he was one, retreating into the Magic Kingdom would have been legitimate and he wouldn't have been immediately forced out again; he also wouldn't have had to disguise his re-entry here. More likely than not is that Janis was simply lying to try and smooth things over with the more irate casters.
4. I'm not sure exactly what "very" creative uses you're thinking of. As far as we know, Flower Power is used in intoxication and prevention of engagements. Date-a-mancy and Signamancy are concerned with human relationships and appearance, respectively. How does that fit with extinguishing a fire?

1. He's been to the Magic Kingdom twice now. And it was said by the chief hippiemancer (her name escapes me) that he's a hippiemancer during the first trip. Charlie just strongly indicated that he is indeed a caster as opposed to a metaphorical hippiemancer (i.e. the guy who will bring peace). I'd say 'he's an actual honest to goodness hippiemancer' is a fairly sure bet.
2. A caster can lead a side (Olive, book 0, Charlie book 0-2), why couldn't they also be Chief Warlord? There's no evidence to support this and a fair bit of evidence against it.
3. See 1. :p
4. A florist can do those things yes, but it's also indicated they can make any plant grow and bring things to life like the trees in book 0. I could very easily see Parson casting a spell that makes a plant grow that provides someway to fight or protect against the fire. Off the top of my head a grove of 'ironwood' (trees actually made of iron) might not burn. A giant pitcher plant (or a grove of them) filled with water could put out the fire without dirtamancy. Of course he could (using a previous poster's language) use hippiemancy to 'calm' the fire down from an inferno level temporarily so that he can get out.
thatdan23

Postby Jinren » Wed May 01, 2013 9:43 am

Aquillion wrote:Parson's plan is to open the portal and go through and leave those decrypted guys to die in the fire.

In 107 his plan still for Sizemore to come through and get rid of the inferno, not to abandon the city.

Also, as ex-Jetstone units who have already croaked once, they're probably all fairly resigned to the reality of their own mortality in the face of Duty.
Jinren

Postby Owenator » Wed May 01, 2013 9:49 am

I haven't heard this yet: what if Parson already knows he's fireproof from one of the magic items he's wearing? He could just be playing a long to see what info Charlie will give up. That would be an awesome outcome. He could type something after all the place is ash to Charlie like "reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated" :lol:

I also wonder if the parallels between Olive and Parson as hippiemancers is what Charlie really fears. Olive used flower power "against the rules" for evil to great effect and she tried to kill Charlie. Parson may just be too scary for Charlie.
What me worry?
Owenator

Postby Cnor » Wed May 01, 2013 10:00 am

Hm... You know, Wanda has the Garbled Minds That Think Abominably right there. She also has Sizemore. Sizemore is, according to one of the text updates a 'rock star' in the Magic Kingdom. What if she has him pay three of the GMTTA to link, thereby giving them a trimancer link with three Master-class Thinkamancers?

She knows that Parson is a Hippiemancer, and can thus participate in a link; the trimancer link, from what we've heard of such things, can quite possibly link people who are in different hexes without participating in the link themselves, if they have another Thinkamancer to use, which there are plenty of on hand. Therefore, Sizemore could be linked to Parson, and, effectively cast the spell through him.

Thoughts?
Cnor

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions