Why are Hippiemancers defined by their major class of magic?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Why are Hippiemancers defined by their major class of magic?

Postby Aquillion » Sun May 05, 2013 9:46 pm

I only just noticed this.

Look at this page, describing the basic layout of Erfworld magic.

Every type of caster we've met so far is in that grid on the lower-left. Turnamancy is Erf and Spookism, Foolamancy is Numbers and Eyemancy, etc. Likewise, we've never met anyone who specializes in a "class" of magic -- no generic Naughtymancers, just Croakamancers (Naughtymancy and Fate.) No Stagemancers, just Carnymancers and Hat Magicians.

With one exception. We have yet to see a single master of Flower Power, Signamancy, or Date-a-Mancy specifically; instead, we've seen lots of Hippiemancers, who seem to be specialized in an entire class.

What's up? Is 'hippiemancer' just what people call masters of Flower Power ? It seems a bit confusing, since Hippiemancy is also the class of magic that Flower Power belongs to.

Or is it possible for some casters to specialize in an entire class of magic, exchanging depth for breadth, and people just tend to do that more often with Hippiemancy? Or is it a measure of both Janis' and Olive's power that they are able to master an entire class rather than just one magical discipline within it?
Aquillion

Re: Why are Hippiemancers defined by their major class of ma

Postby danielkaplan123 » Sun May 05, 2013 10:30 pm

It is a good point. Perhaps Rob just has a 'thing' for Hippiemany.
  • We know Olive Branch is a Florist, aka Flower Powerist of Hippiemancy.
  • We've heard Vinny tell us what Signamancy does with a ruler's appearance as it occurred to Jillian.
  • We've heard of a date-a-mancy artifact, held by the chief warlord of Faq.
That is about it, however, to my recollection for hippiemancy caster type specifics. Perhaps the appearance of another Signamancer might give away Parson's status as a caster. Personally, a hunch I've had is that Parson is a Signamancer. http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Parson#Parson_the_Signamancer
Last edited by danielkaplan123 on Mon May 06, 2013 12:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
danielkaplan123

Postby 0beron » Sun May 05, 2013 10:46 pm

We have heard of casters under Hippiemancy being called by their specific discipline. Sizemore "spent a night" with a Date-a-Mancer specifically, and old FAQ had a Signamancer specifically. As said above, Olive was specifically a Florist. And lastly it was also said that the Laurel of Napster was made by a Date-a-Mancer.

I think Hippiemancer just gets used more often for a few reasons. 1) they're generally more informal anyway, so they may not care as much for specific labels. 2) they may be a group of disciplines that are able to learn each other more easily. 3) Janice is the one we hear about the most often I think, and as a leader of sorts for them, it is likely she would have some ranks in all three disciplines, even if her primary class appears to be Florist.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Aquillion » Mon May 06, 2013 1:12 am

I forgot that Olive is referred to as a Florist specifically, yeah. But it's still odd that Hippiemancers are frequently referred to by their class rather than their specific discipline, while everyone else seems to be referred to by discipline.

It might also have to do with Magic Kingdom politics -- it seems like eg. Thinkamancers are a faction entirely to themselves (based around their discipline), while Hippiemancers have formed a faction uniting their three disciplines, possibly because they're united by a guiding political philosophy whereas other classes share at best a general outlook.
Aquillion

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon May 06, 2013 1:36 am

Sizemore repeatedly refers to the Stuffamancers as a generic school of magic. It's probably a social thing rather than something special about Hippiemancy as a school of magic.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby MadZuri » Thu May 09, 2013 5:21 pm

We've also seen the term Eyemancers used before: Book 1: pg 47 by Wanda, and again on pg 53 by Sizemore. But yeah, I had just assumed that Janis was that powerful of a caster. She is the only character to be consistently called by the class and not one of the three disciplines.
MadZuri

Return to Everything Else Erfworld