Book 2 - Text Updates 058

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 058

Postby kiyote » Mon May 06, 2013 10:40 pm

Mogster2 wrote:Does the Arkenhammer have a whistle in it? I never noticed that before.

Yeah, it's a common feature in squeeky hammers, and it's always been there.

Last edited by kiyote on Mon May 06, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kiyote
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby twhitt » Mon May 06, 2013 10:41 pm

If Hamster bit it now, he’d never get the chance to mentor him, maybe even groom him for his own side someday.
In Stanley's opinion, there's no reason Parson cannot form his own side, and it might even be a good move in the long term. It would just be unlikely in the next two minutes due to circumstances in the Hex.
twhitt
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby woort » Mon May 06, 2013 10:41 pm

Lipkin wrote:If Stanley changed capitols, and lets ignore the summoning spell for a minute, would Parson hypothetically be able to still use the city to spin off? What would that mean for GK and Stanley?

Well, just hypothetically, if that happened, my guess is that Stanley would be become a barbarian, and all of GK's units would be barbarians under his orders. They stay barbarians until Stanley claimed the city of GK as his capital again.

I still think Parson is going to have to use the scroll, though.
woort

Postby kefkakrazy » Mon May 06, 2013 10:52 pm

the_reil_neil wrote:
Using his Ruler sense, he gave her an order to contact him, and waited.

Emphasis added.

I think this puts an end to the question of whether Chief Warlords can give Natural Thinkamancy orders to distant units.

Do CWLs get the same sense, though? Clearly Rulers can do it.

So, my take so far: Rulers get Natural Thinkamancy notifications when units croak, know exactly how many units they have... and possibly know where those units are located? Do we know that yet?

They can also clearly give orders to those units, there's definitely not a question there.

What we don't know:
Do Rulers get any status messages, or are croak messages all they receive? Do rulers get details on croaking? (I don't believe they do; if I remember the relevant Wanda POV she only felt Goodminton units croaking, and didn't get descriptions of how).

And how much of this do CWLs get?
kefkakrazy

Postby Lipkin » Mon May 06, 2013 10:54 pm

Seems like if Stanley wanted to, he could use Ruler senses to order Antium and all the other units in Parson's hex to turn barbarian and turn to Parson when Parson claimed Spacerock.
Lipkin

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon May 06, 2013 11:29 pm

Did anyone else notice how Stanley said the time BEFORE Parson was "all Wanda, all the time" and even calls it the "bad old days"? This not only contrasts with his earlier statements about how she "used to be alright", but also contradicts Wanda's belief that she was easily manipulating Stanley. Maybe she didn't really have as much control as she thinks she did?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Whispri » Mon May 06, 2013 11:32 pm

The bad old days would be the time when the overwhelming might of the RCC was advancing on every front and his oh, so very dashing Warlords were dropping like flies.

Urf wrote:It's too early for that. Parson won't get his own side. He probably will never get his own side.

Though I enjoy the idea of giving Decrypted their own side.

Too right, Stanley wants to keep him for a start. And really, given the huge price tag on heirs and the way Parson and Charlie both agreed that it couldn't be done, there's just no way it's happening here.

I'd really like to see Goodminton reborn. Could still happen too, could be a good solution to the Capital being so far away from Stanley.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Beeskee » Mon May 06, 2013 11:35 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:Did anyone else notice how Stanley said the time BEFORE Parson was "all Wanda, all the time" and even calls it the "bad old days"? This not only contrasts with his earlier statements about how she "used to be alright", but also contradicts Wanda's belief that she was easily manipulating Stanley. Maybe she didn't really have as much control as she thinks she did?

I think it was mostly the "bad old days" because they were losing, but you hit on a point. Stanley had a rather abrupt about-face mentally there. I don't know if it's character development, external magical influence, or even the expiration of an existing magical influence.

Stanley hasn't even been using Parson lately. Ansom was Chief Warlord, was leading the army, and was forming the plans. Parson basically did basic mathamancy duties and approved everything. And Stanley knew that, he reminded Parson of it. All that makes me wonder if something more is going on.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Whispri » Mon May 06, 2013 11:41 pm

Beeskee wrote:
Shai_hulud wrote:Did anyone else notice how Stanley said the time BEFORE Parson was "all Wanda, all the time" and even calls it the "bad old days"? This not only contrasts with his earlier statements about how she "used to be alright", but also contradicts Wanda's belief that she was easily manipulating Stanley. Maybe she didn't really have as much control as she thinks she did?

I think it was mostly the "bad old days" because they were losing, but you hit on a point. Stanley had a rather abrupt about-face mentally there. I don't know if it's character development, external magical influence, or even the expiration of an existing magical influence.

Stanley hasn't even been using Parson lately. Ansom was Chief Warlord, was leading the army, and was forming the plans. Parson basically did basic mathamancy duties and approved everything. And Stanley knew that, he reminded Parson of it. All that makes me wonder if something more is going on.

As I recall he believes that Wanda's bad at being a Warlord. So he needs a good Warlord to be in charge of the fighting regardless of what he thinks of her.
Whispri

Postby Lipkin » Mon May 06, 2013 11:47 pm

I think the point is that Parson is one of Stanley's few non-decrypted units. Before summoning Parson, the majority of their forces were uncroaked. Wanda was directly responsible for the war effort then, and now. Having Parson as chief warlord is one of the things that makes Stanley feel less overshadowed and powerless. It was Parson that saved them from ruin, and Parson who devised the way to scout for Dwagons. Despite the personality clashes, I think Stanley has just come to realize that he likes what Parson brings to the table, even if he doesn't just automatically win.
Lipkin

Postby badninja » Mon May 06, 2013 11:47 pm

I got a feeling that Charlie is hopeing that Stanley will act in one certain way, the way he has always acted. If the Tool actually does Parson's plan and Parson does not do anything rash it will change the game. The Tool has never been a "team" player and a switch now would be a big change from any point in this story where he is either tricked or goaded into doing what everyone wants.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby madmaw » Mon May 06, 2013 11:49 pm

Beeskee wrote:

They do have some history http://www.erfworld.com/summer-update-2 ... ration.png
madmaw

Postby Beeskee » Mon May 06, 2013 11:49 pm

Whispri wrote:As I recall he believes that Wanda's bad at being a Warlord. So he needs a good Warlord to be in charge of the fighting regardless of what he thinks of her.

Yes, he definitely doesn't think much of her warlording abilities, that's been clear for a while. He based that off of the initial meeting, when he didn't realize she had mislead him regarding Faq's strength, and that colored all his perceptions of her since then.

I was referring to Stanley's opinion of Parson in my last post, but I re-read what I wrote and realized I never actually specified... :D
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby mythicfox » Mon May 06, 2013 11:59 pm

Y'know, reading Stanley's conversation with Zhopa, I can really understand more and more why the Royals would be offended at the notion of the Titans giving him any measure of power.
mythicfox

Postby Jorgath » Tue May 07, 2013 12:09 am

mythicfox wrote:Y'know, reading Stanley's conversation with Zhopa, I can really understand more and more why the Royals would be offended at the notion of the Titans giving him any measure of power.

Which brings up an interesting theory: the Royals don't mind non-Royal sides, they just think Stanley's a tool. :D
"It matters not how strait the gait,
how charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul."
--William Ernest Henley, Invictus

Jorgath

Postby ManaCaster » Tue May 07, 2013 1:02 am

Goshen wrote:After being almost completely quiet for the whole time Stanley was in the larger, Zhopa has gotten quite talkative. He's saying just the right things to nudge Stanley. Such a simple-minded creature would be easy for the GTTMA to puppeteer, so perhaps that is what's happening. In a larger sense, the same could be said for Stanley, himself.

Actually, I suspect the twoll is being nudged by Fate. We already know that Fate enforces itself by manipulating Luckamancy, but it needs more than that to enforce it's narrative. I'll bet it has a way of manipulating people's decisions on a subconscious level, similar to a suggestion spell, probably via intuition. After all, ituition is a form of natural Predictamancy closely associated with Thinkamancy.
ManaCaster

Postby malroth » Tue May 07, 2013 1:16 am

I believe some sort of xpish related increasing of Zhopa's mental stats is going on. He was popped with just the mental capabilities of being the Larder Twol as things like empathy, duty, intelligence, imagination would have been a hinderance to his function. However since his job has now changed to something more difficult requiring a lot more personal initative he's "leveling" up all those previously unused mental stats.
Whispri wrote:Plus it's Gillian, it's not evil when they're doing it to Gillian, as half the time it's self defence and the other half she's into it.
malroth

Postby Lipkin » Tue May 07, 2013 1:24 am

Stanley's signamancy is clear. Despite all his boasting, Stanley's got self-esteem issues. That's why he's so small. He feels threatened by Parson, and overshadowed by Wanda. Stanley made himself a force on Erf through martial might alone, and now that he is Overlord, he can't showcase the one thing he excels at, because he is too important to risk. He's a piker who has gotten in over his head, and is now trying to fake like he knows what he is doing.

He's jealous of Parson, because Parson is everything he is not. Big, respected, feared, and supposedly a genius. He sees in Parson a reflection of his failings. But with the threat of losing Parson, he's realizing just how much he needs him. And it goes both ways, because Parson needs Stanley. Stanley is the things that Parson is not. He is a skilled warrior, he instinctively knows the rules of Erf, and he knows how things are perceived to be. If Stanley were able to let go of his ego and actually mentor Parson, they would be an incredible team. I don't think that is going to happen, but with baby steps (not that there are babies on Erf), it's possible they could at least come to an understanding.
Lipkin

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Tue May 07, 2013 1:26 am

Just noticed something in that update: "The big desk was covered in maps and paper reports. The reports had all come in by magic hat. They were not using the Eyebooks for any military intelligence, on Parson and Maggie's joint recommendation."

Hats? Say what? Where are they, who has them?

Looks like some retconjuration is in order.
Chit Rule Railroad
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Urf » Tue May 07, 2013 1:32 am

I see this update as semi-confirmation of Parson's status as a Hippiemancer. Parson has been using Charm all this time with no juice cost.

"Hippiemancy is the magic of relationships: detecting and altering the forces of opposition and attraction which bind people or units."
Urf

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions