Book 2 – Page 109

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 109

Postby ManaCaster » Tue May 14, 2013 9:18 pm

Lipkin wrote:
ManaCaster wrote:If worse comes to worse, the Predictamancers can rally their allies to Gobwin Knob's defence through the portal, now that the alliance is becoming more public. Charlie would be hard pressed to take a city full of casters. If I were in Parson's position, I'd try upgrading the city with some sort of a Dirtamancy link. What do you think linking Sizemore and Ace would produce? A dollhouse with turret gun action and electrified fences that really light up?

Another big worry is switching the capital. Stanley is pretty tough, but a veiled ambush could be problematic. And of course, they need to figure out how to fix their communication issues. Hats still work, but they aren't as convenient. Maybe they could solve both of those problems with Hat Magic. Make hats that can send people around and upgrade the eyebooks to transmit through portals.

You can upgrade cities off turn, btw. And Sizemore shouldn't need to link with anyone to upgrade the city. He linked with Maggie to do a better job, but with her low or out of juice, it's doubtful she could link with him. But he could still upgrade on his own in a pinch.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/LIAB_33a

I am well aware of this. That wasn't my point. I didn't suggest a Caster Link because I think it is actually necessary to upgrade a city. I just thought it might be a good way to upgrade defences beyond what is normally possible. For example, Ace can build shockamancy guns, and there doesn't seem to be a charge limit. If that could be somehow combined with the city, the air defences would become that much more effective.

So we know rulers can abdicate. Do Heir Designates need to be declared in the capital or in the direct presence of the ruler? If not, that would be the easiest way to switch back the capital. Just nominate Parson as Heir Designate, have Stanley temporarily abdicate, have Parson switch back the capital, then give Stanley back his job. The summoning spell binds Parson to Stanley, so it's not like Stanley has to worry about betrayal.
ManaCaster

Postby Mogster2 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:00 pm

Aquillion wrote:(Actually, how are they going to tell Sizemore they need him? He wasn't able to get through to Maggie, after all; no reason to think either him or Parson would be able to reach Sizemore. Parson could dash through the portal to get him personally, but who knows what the situation is back there?)

I'm guessing he'll just stick his head thru the portal like Jack did and yell "Sizemore! Get yer butt in here!"

One thing's bothering me: whose turn is it now? Did Jetstone ever end turn, and if so, who's next? Can Stanley even change the capitol if it's not GK's turn?
Mogster2

Postby Lor » Tue May 14, 2013 11:03 pm

Hey, Zhoby! Toss me.
Toss you, Lud?
I can't make it up there before he burns up.
Yes Lud.
*Runs*
Oh, Zhopa?
Yes Lud?
Don't tell Parson.
Yes Lud.
Sir Cedric: Delayed? How so?
Wamba: Well, when I heard Normans were approaching I ran to lock up my wife. But, she'd also heard they were approaching, and locked me up instead.
Lor
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kyrt » Wed May 15, 2013 12:28 am

Good update.

Nice art. I'll miss XIn.

But I don't think I've ever seen Stanley so happy.

Maybe his big problem is he misses the action. He wants to DO something. Something meaningful.
Kyrt
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Kreistor » Wed May 15, 2013 1:56 am

drachefly wrote:In fact, that's a near clincher. He was still floating as he settled into the chair, which had its back to the window. How did he do that without maneuvering with the hammer?

Oh, I dunno. Maybe the PURPLE nudged him? I know it's a HUGE stretch that it did more than one job.

drachefly wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglev

That a technology that chose to use a word can do lateral movement does NOT redefine that word. Dictionaries are authorities on word definitions.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby Beeskee » Wed May 15, 2013 2:09 am

Re: Stanley and the ledge.

There's an even simpler reason why he didn't stand on the ledge and take a swing.

Look at the second to last panel and the last panel: There's the shattered window in both frames, giving relative positioning. There's the throne, presumably sitting on the floor. There's Stanley up near the top of the window, with no ledge nearby... :D

The windows are several stories tall, and the ledge is several floors below his throne room.

Also, using the purple, he could time everything just right so he could swoop up and land in his throne without stopping.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Jedifweak » Wed May 15, 2013 2:48 am

I'm going to post this since it's a very silly question that I'll have no way of knowing the answer of for days.

We've never seen a portal created before. We've seen them destroyed, and they just wink out. What if the portals are like Stargates, and they do the "Fwoosh" when created? Is there any danger to those around? Is a portal created in the same place as a previous one? Are there empty gates which connect to cities in case of becoming a capitol?
I still think Jedifreak runs off of a vast macro library.
-Jin Asias
You could do anything you want with it. It's your dead fish.
-Zorua

Jedifweak

Postby Brucester » Wed May 15, 2013 6:47 am

Heisman?

That's got to be the first cultural reference that I've seen in Erfworld that made absolutely no sense to me. I had to google it and ah.... American football.

Well at least it was easy to google and Rob did provide some clues that it might be a sporting reference (via the font and what Zhopa was doing at the time)

Nice strip ... Nice development for Stanley, but surely it can't be that easy.
Brucester
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed May 15, 2013 7:26 am

Just to clear some speculation up. In panel 12 you can clearly see the blast lines radiating behind Stanley so the blast clearly did not push him through the window, which also explains his lack of damage.

Now whether the purple nudges him through the window or whether he flies through off panel can't be determined so I'm not entering the fly/levitate debate except to say that is wasn't the sonic blast.

Carry on speculating...

Oh yeah while I'm about it... for maglev it's magnetism that provides the forward motion... the fact that it also provides the levitation does not mean that levitation provides for lateral movement.
Werebiscuit

Postby fjolnir » Wed May 15, 2013 8:40 am

Brucester wrote:Heisman?

That's got to be the first cultural reference that I've seen in Erfworld that made absolutely no sense to me. I had to google it and ah.... American football.

Well at least it was easy to google and Rob did provide some clues that it might be a sporting reference (via the font and what Zhopa was doing at the time)

Nice strip ... Nice development for Stanley, but surely it can't be that easy.

He is also in the exact same pose as the Heisman trophy...
fjolnir

Postby Prodigial_Knight » Wed May 15, 2013 8:44 am

Yeees, The Titans Favourite Son has saved the day again !!!
Prodigial_Knight

Postby drachefly » Wed May 15, 2013 10:55 am

Kreistor wrote:
drachefly wrote:In fact, that's a near clincher. He was still floating as he settled into the chair, which had its back to the window. How did he do that without maneuvering with the hammer?

Oh, I dunno. Maybe the PURPLE nudged him? I know it's a HUGE stretch that it did more than one job.

MISSING THE POINT. It's the slowing down part I was talking about. If he was bumped forward with any kind of haste, he would overshoot the back of the throne and land on the table.

Kreistor wrote:
drachefly wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglev

That a technology that chose to use a word can do lateral movement does NOT redefine that word. Dictionaries are authorities on word definitions.

Dictionaries may have more bearing on how you should USE a term. Common usage has more bearing on how you should INTERPRET a term. Harry Potter and Maglev both provide precedent for the word encompassing non-vertical motion. Anyway, the free online dictionary has several definitions, only one of which emphasizes vertical motion as opposed to simply being off the ground.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby effataigus » Wed May 15, 2013 11:13 am

I love arguing both sides of issues...
Kreistor wrote:
Book 2, Page 44 wrote: He used the Arkenhammer to levitate back into his chair

It levitates. That's up and down only, if you were unaware. It hangs him in mid-air, with no lateral movement suggested. Trying to swing the Hammer would disable the levitation and lose his concept of footing. Even if it could do both at the same time, it would be like swinging the Hammer in orbit: he'd have no footing to transfer the energy into and stabalize his position, so would just push himself away from the window, no matter how hard he swung.
He levitated into his chair, so he must have moved laterally in midair. Maybe he stepped? Either way he could do the same here, so the point of the discussion is obviated. As for "why didn't he break the (potentially siege grade) glass with his hammer if he could fly?" It looks to me like the hammer grants neither levitation or flight, but rather can itself levitate or fly. Swinging the thing that you are hanging from would be a toughie... whether flying Thor style or levitating.

Lipkin wrote:And if the hammer could only go up or down, why would Jack tell Stanley "Fly, lord! Up!"
Recall that Stanley was not *actually* using his hammer there, but riding on dwagonback. This is actually an argument for the hammer having no lateral movement... there would be less of a reason for Jack to specify "up" if the illusion he was about to cast would still be convincing if Stanely had his dwagon keep flying forward. I say less of a reason, because "up" also took them away from the enemy. The warlords might get confused by an illusion passing nearby.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby Kandarin » Wed May 15, 2013 6:48 pm

Waitaminute...from XKCD:

Irish Dave on the Isle of Man wrote:How high can a human throw something?

I'm on to you, Irish Dave. I know your true name...Rob Balder! :twisted:
Kandarin

Postby joosy » Wed May 15, 2013 8:39 pm

Jedifweak wrote:I'm going to post this since it's a very silly question that I'll have no way of knowing the answer of for days.

We've never seen a portal created before. We've seen them destroyed, and they just wink out. What if the portals are like Stargates, and they do the "Fwoosh" when created? Is there any danger to those around? Is a portal created in the same place as a previous one? Are there empty gates which connect to cities in case of becoming a capitol?

I have often wondered about the portals. We saw in the diagram for Sizemore's tunnel that there is some sort of buried mechanism below the gate.
Are those mechanisms tied to a particular capitol site? or do they dynamically change for the number of existing sides? Are there a set number of capitol sites in erfworld? Or can they pop in the wild like ruins or natural allies? Haffaton was founded on a barbarian city site - can those be made into capitols after being captured by a non-barbarian side or was that site an abandoned capitol site that the barbarians claimed? if so, why didn't the barbarians become a side themselves - after all, a side can go barbarian, so why can't barbarians become a side? sooo many silly questions :)
joosy

Postby Neko » Wed May 15, 2013 9:11 pm

Kyrt wrote:But I don't think I've ever seen Stanley so happy.

Maybe his big problem is he misses the action. He wants to DO something. Something meaningful.

Bingo - I think that's EXACTLY his problem. He didn't mellow after TBfGK until Parson gave him the means to hunt dwagons. People who are good at doing stuff don't always make the best managers...they'd rather be out in the field DOING STUFF.
Neko
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kreistor » Wed May 15, 2013 10:51 pm

drachefly wrote:MISSING THE POINT. It's the slowing down part I was talking about. If he was bumped forward with any kind of haste, he would overshoot the back of the throne and land on the table.

It's called an arm. It grabs things. Like the tops of chairs. Feet can do the job sometimes, too.

drachefly wrote:Dictionaries may have more bearing on how you should USE a term. Common usage has more bearing on how you should INTERPRET a term. Harry Potter and Maglev both provide precedent for the word encompassing non-vertical motion. Anyway, the free online dictionary has several definitions, only one of which emphasizes vertical motion as opposed to simply being off the ground.

Drach, you are now a useless entity to me. Anything means what you need it to at your convenience, which approximates schizophrenia pretty well. Dogs walk on two legs and clouds are made of candy. Because you need it to.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby Lipkin » Thu May 16, 2013 12:07 am

Chill the boop out, everybody.
Lipkin

Postby Oberon » Thu May 16, 2013 4:19 am

Wow. Just...wow.

How hard it is to see a purple break a window and Stanley get into his chair? Did he float back down and run back up top sit down? Yeah... No. He used the 'hammer to get him into the chair.

That's lateral movement, people, which is more than just levitation. It's flight. Just as it's been called, for anyone who has been absent. Flight.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Aster Azul » Thu May 16, 2013 4:39 am

We're not going to talk about the new artist? Is that not something we do on reaction threads? Anyway, he looks great. And I'm up for anything that keeps Erfworld updating, an amazing comic with such a big following shouldn't have to struggle so hard to be updated.
Like our new game, King's Ascent!
https://www.facebook.com/KingsAscent
Aster Azul

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions