What you've liked about the art....

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

What you've liked about the art....

Postby LordAcme » Sat May 18, 2013 12:12 pm

I thought it might be useful to have a thread where people could describe what they liked about the artwork from a personal point of view (no technical discussions please, just what you personally like. No harm no foul environment is now ON.).

For my part, I particularly wanted to focus on the characters I liked, although special mention has to go to Xin's architecture (awesome)

I like Xin's Ansom and Jill just a smidge over Jamie's, although both are top notch. I can't say why, I just do. Parson is an even split - I like both of them equally for what they are. I kind of think of the style transition as being a growth / transition process for the characters, and they look more mature now to me.

But I have to say, Jamie's Wanda and Vinnie ARE Wanda and Vinnie to me. Although I think Xin's Book 0 Wanda is fantastic, maybe it's that Jamie's designs have more rounded faces, and that fits the maturity thing again? I couldn't say.

Post what you like if you like it enough to post!
LordAcme
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Re: What you've liked about the art....

Postby Shai_hulud » Sat May 18, 2013 5:02 pm

The facial expressions, especially Xin's mounts. And the way The megalo's flap their useless little wings. They just seem so much more alive for it.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Doctor Foreman » Mon May 20, 2013 2:42 pm

Things I like about the art in Book 1:

- The color. Book 2 takes place over a more confined area than Book 1, so visually it looks more uniform: a city at daylight. Book 1 has a volcano erupting at night, sunrise after the apocalypse, dark forests and city tunnels...it's like a sort of Tim Burton world in its color and proportions. This is not necessarily about comparative artistic skill, just that under Jamie's tenure we happened to see very dynamic range of settings.
- The faces. Book 1's characters have moments of extreme emotion showing on their faces: Bogroll's sacrifice, Parson's command to uncroak the volcano (and his moment of resignation right before), Ansom's rage at Parson's anti-pep talk, Vinnie and Jillian grieving...the characters really come alive in those moments in a way I think doesn't happen with the more "clean" approach of Xin's art.

Things I like about the art in Book 2:

- Consistency. Jamie's renderings of the characters visibly changes over the course of Book 1 - specifically, their heads get a lot more humanlike in terms of size relative to the proportions of their bodies. Xin more or less hit the ground running in terms of the proportions and appearances of the characters, which is difficult even for accomplished artists to pull off in stylized comics.
- "Blocking". Book 2 is very good at showing us where things happen in relation to one another. The Battle for Gobwin Knob I think could have done with a few more establishing shots and filled in a couple of visual gaps (like exactly what happened to the wiener-rammer whose rider attacked Parson in the endgame). Some of the dogfights could also get a bit visually confusing. I felt like Book 2 gave me a much better handle on what was where.

Overall, I think I prefer the artwork in Book 1, mainly because I think the dark and dynamic feel is more distinctive than the "cleaner" feel. It gives me all sorts of nostalgia, like it's the webcomic version of the look and feel of all those cult fantasy films from the 1980s, or the style in which a graphic novel of The Hobbit would be illustrated. Book 2's art reminds me more of Pokemon.
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

Postby LordAcme » Sat May 25, 2013 10:38 am

More takes on teh art. Since we have some early samples of David's art in now, I'm going to add him to the list.

Stanley: I really, really like Jamie's Stanley. His expressions always convey not just his emotion of the moment but his underlying character. You just know what he's like by looking at him at any time.

Janis: Jamie nailed the character (I'm old enough to remember the people of the 60s), but I like the look of Xin's Janis more. The other MK casters - well I love Jamie's Mr. Spock, his expression is hysterical and it continues on in other panels - he's still pleased with himself after. Lol.

One other thing I think is well worth mentioning - all of Jamie's main characters look adult to me. Xin's somehow look a bit younger, and David's seem to kind of look like teenagers. I really like the adult look, because it highlights the contrast between the childlike-fantasy setting and the deadly seriousness of what these characters are doing. They're rulers, generals, soldiers and killers that pop fully formed and ready for their first day on the job. So a young look doesn't really fit the characters to me.They may be short, but they're not children at all, and the adult face conveys that.
LordAcme

Postby LordAcme » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:57 pm

I just wanted to put out there for David that you're really doing an excellent job on the characters. Yes, they look different, but somehow they look like themselves still. Totally works for me :)
LordAcme

Postby Fjord » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:36 am

I believe that many who were having doubts about the quality, feel and atmosphere of the graphics has been put to shame. The updates has been striking and brilliant so far, and I for one am looking forward to the full page updates for book 3.
Cheers mate
Fjord

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:34 am

Many posters have so far talked about Jamie's and Xin 's characterization but David's has grown on me as the people seem somehow more urbane and "real". Jamie's characters felt cartoon like and somehow child like ( probably their proportions) which went well with the initial unreality and naieveity of Erfworlds setting then Xin came along and brought a more fantasy (including the sexy high fantasy looks of some characters) feel to the comic. It still felt like fantasy though even if it had lost the naieveity..so still slightly had that air of unreality.
Davids work with his "cleaner" cell shaded look brings in a more everyday feel making the situation seem more immediate and real for me at least. I tend to translate this to Parson somehow growing more accustom to the world and his situation in it and it somehow seeming more real and homelike with passing time.

it leaves me wondering if there will be further developments like a grittiness or grunge to bring it closer to "home" or perhaps even more 3D effects like we've seen with the arkentools aligning the situation more to the 3 dimensons of earth... but maybe that would require retconjuring of the stupidworld parts of the comic to give them a 3D look.

David is still learning though as other posters have pointed out. I hope it's taken as constructive criticism but the shadows could do with some refining in Parson and Sizemore as the one of Sizemore on Parson seems more of a sunset shadow ( light -flat on the horizon) in which case it should be smaller than one thrown from a campfire ( light from behind and below). Maybe it was intended to be a sunset and I'm taking the textual campfire reference out of context. However it still seems to leave Parson looking planar rather than 3 dimensional. Again that could be intended... to fit with the cell shaded look.

Each artist has had their "trademarks" so far so any comparison tends to be a matter of preference.
Werebiscuit

Postby 0beron » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:07 am

I agree about the gradual change in styles and how they have a coincidentally appropriate progression that matches Parson's perceptions of the world.
However I do want to note that I doubt (and sincerely hope against it) that anything but the Tools will become noticibly 3D rendered. It's what sets them apart and marks them as something foreign to the world of mortals.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:07 am

0beron wrote:I agree about the gradual change in styles and how they have a coincidentally appropriate progression that matches Parson's perceptions of the world.
However I do want to note that I doubt (and sincerely hope against it) that anything but the Tools will become noticibly 3D rendered. It's what sets them apart and marks them as something foreign to the world of mortals.

Even after writing the original I agree... I'm not hoping against it but don't think the gradual 3D visualization is an option.. just a thought that struck me at the time. I really should think these things through :lol: as even at the time I knew it would probably demand a retconjuration and if everything becomes 3D then the effect of certain things being 3D loses it's...erm..effect. That.. plus.. the overall style is unlikely to change...unless we see another change of artist...and I'm not wanting that as I'd like to give David time to refine his own look.
Werebiscuit

Return to Everything Else Erfworld