Six Colors of Dragons

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Six Colors of Dragons

Postby tigerusthegreat » Wed May 22, 2013 1:33 am

Was there ever a seventh, and if so what was it? I don't think there was seven, but I really can't remember.

EDIT: I guess there's a black type if this image is any indication But since there are no purples in any of book 1 that I see, perhaps there only ever were six types, and the sixth was black that changed to purple.
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 4/09/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 4/09/2014 (link is to first page)
tigerusthegreat

Re: Six Colors of DWagons

Postby Beeskee » Wed May 22, 2013 2:08 am

I'd kind of wondered how many different types of Dwagons there were, but somehow never bothered to go make notes while re-reading the comic.
Beeskee

Re: Six Colors of Dragons

Postby SteveBob316 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:10 am

From the Retconjuration entry in the Erfwiki:

Rob Retconjured all black/brown to dwagons to purple for the book printing. Story below:

When it came time for Rob and company to design the Real World dwagon plushies, the total number of colors initially came to seven. Pink, red, blue, purple, green, yellow, and black. Rob didn't really want to make seven different colors of plushie, because it's an odd number and it just felt like way too many for a set. This led Rob to see if he could get away with dropping one color of dwagon. After looking, Rob found that black (dark brown?) dwagons had only appeared once or twice, and never in combat. Furthermore, he thought black material would look bad with the embroidered eyes. A little while later, in the webcomic The Order of the Stick[2], a dramatic story moment occurred: many, many black dragons (not called dwagons in OOTS) from all over the planet were instantly wiped out by a spell. Rob considers OOTS to be sort of Erfworld's godfather comic; this led him to the conclusion that the same spell must have killed off Erfworld's black dwagons. This prompted Rob to Retconjure all black/brown dwagons to purple for the book printing.[3] (Note that nothing was said about Retconning them in the webcomics, and some readers have reported still finding brown/black dwagons in the book.)

Also of note is that immediately above (following the word 'printing'), there is a link where Rob and Xin both recount and illustrate the above story. Currently, it is only correctly visible by those who pledged to the 2012 "Erfworld Year of the Dwagon" Kickstarter.

As a personal note, I find the idea that V's Familiacide spell was powerful enough to reach into Erfworld kind of delicious.
SteveBob316

Postby ysath » Wed May 22, 2013 3:06 am

Actually, I've been re-reading the first book and there's a lot more than 1-2 appearance of black dwagons and a few in combat.
ysath

Postby mortissimus » Wed May 22, 2013 8:24 am

Appropriate:

mortissimus

Postby Finn MacCool » Wed May 22, 2013 9:01 am

not the best rhyme so far...
Finn MacCool

Postby Sir_Dr_D » Wed May 22, 2013 10:14 pm

I was too bad about the black dwagons. Think of the tactical options that would be available with something that can create back smoke. Plus they are a non-standard dragon type, which makes them interesting. I vote they get retconjured back in. :P
Sir_Dr_D
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby cloudbreaker » Sat May 25, 2013 8:55 pm

I get that the brown dwagons have no reason to stay in the comic, but I also can't think of a reason why they should be recojured out. To me it makes about as much sense at retconjuring Wanda's hair color to blonde. It just seems pointless. However, I can completely understand retconing them out of the beginning of book one. They kind of disappeared there without warning. I even made a joke comic about it here.

Instead of retconing them out completely, I personally think it would make more sense to say they just never got more after they all croaked in book one. Reasons could be that they aren't one of the types that Gobwin Knob can pop in cities, and they don't pop naturally in the Minty Mountains. I was thinking they could be like swamp dwagons or something, and Stanley hasn't been able to fly out to the swamps to tame more since becoming a ruler.

Edit: Also, FYI, even though my avatar features a brown dwagon, I swear I'm not bias. Probably.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Return to Everything Else Erfworld