A Random Call to Kick my Ascii and Make Me AWESOME!

Words in a line. All fanfic goes here, Erfworld or otherwise.

A Random Call to Kick my Ascii and Make Me AWESOME!

Postby NigaiAmai Yume » Sat May 09, 2009 1:38 pm

Note: I'm currently sleep deprived. This seems to be the only state I can work up the confidence to start things like this. While good for the lack of self-hatred, there's a corresponding lack of coherence. I apologize in advance.

Also: Way too long. Don't spend any more time on this than you need to. I understand.

Message Proper:

Um, hi!

I'm a writer with, well, I generally list 15 projects at any one time, but that's the "Off the top of my head, long enough to count, developed enough to explain decently" list.

I've also got about a grand total of 25 pages written across that list. :P

So, my need for a kick in the ass. Erfworld is awesome, and literate, and weird. The kinds of things I dream my stuff to be someday. So, I figure the Erfworld readers would be a good place to get started developing a readership from. And, this forum is new enough, hopefully there's not too many trolls to make me hate the internet and/or world for asking an honest, if incoherent and weird, question.

What am I looking for? At the least, people to yell at me to get stuff started and/or continued. Decent critics to point out where I've missed the mark, what should be changed, and things I really should do more often. Editors if possible to supply so of the "how" to the above suggestions.

Oh, and eventually I'd like an artist for a "Trigun meets Cowboy Bebop meets Girl Genius webcomic set in a Gaslamp Fantasy alternate-Victorian Australia featuring mad inventor bounty hunters and Classic Greek mythology references with plot direction determined by reader votes" thing I've got brewing in my head.

Well, writing samples can be found at my DeviantArt site, although "Empty Mask" and anything PFDD is kinda confusing at the moment.

Start from the bottom - the poetry mostly makes sense on first reading.

If you survive THAT and are still interested in my utter insanity, continue. Otherwise, RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Current List of "I want to start working on them" Projects (Titles in quotation marks are working, descriptive titles):

Novels and other Prose

Phoenix Flair, Dragon Descent - Epic Asian Fantasy. Really hard to describe. I settle for "Kinda like Lord of the Rings, except the 'item of ultimate power everyone either wants to abuse or destroy' refers to the two main characters. Who are also kind-but-not reincarnated gods. The latter of which are insane." except the story itself is serious. A lot of the backstory is crammed in here.

"Angsty Hot Ninja Chicks" - Working title, since I've yet to be able to come up with a decent version of "Distorted Reflections of Self" that suits the setting. Also serious, although otherwise the working title perfectly describes the situation. (While I see this mostly as an anime-style 3d animated tv series, it'll live being written. But the action'll be better animated. Eventually.)

"Attractive Philosophical Spy People" - A modern setting parallel story to the above. I take the main characters from Ninja Chicks, and see what happens when the world setting, rules, and alliances change. I also include an Alice-in-Wonderland themed night club, because I can.

Legends of Regnum - Remember the Legend of Zelda cartoon? *blushes* Well, when I was 12, I made a Mary Sue fan fic for it. I liked the idea so much, I'm trying to re-make it as an original story. Now it chronicles the responsibilities of royalty, leadership, destiny, fate, and being screwed over by magic from at least three different directions. And while Daphi'indi is still a Mary Sue, hopefully now she tells an interesting story that also supports the story of the other characters. (I'm trying. It's hard.)

In Time Things Come - A sci-fi novella. Depressing. I still want to write it. "How many lifetimes must you live, before you can find the reason you're alive? Slave, goddess, experiment - can you ever be a child again?"

Graphic/Prose mix (Aka Comics)

"Outback Prometheus" - still needs a better title. The webcomic idea described above. Fun setting, a few nifty characters, but little plot, which is why I want to open it up to the readers to determine the plot twists and then surprise them with how they turn out.

Roseblood - American-style comic series. Rose has always lived two existences. In a world very much like our own, she's a high school student suffering from casual parental neglect and the vindications of a former-best-friend-turned-enemy. But she is also an assassin in a land where the dead rise as zombies, the rich hold power by ruling forever under a necromancer-made-god-Emperor, and the poor struggle in a dying medieval world. She never knew which was real, and which was a delusion intended as an escape that turned into insanity. But now she's learning the parallels between the two worlds may be born of more than her own mind, and as one of the few that sees both, she's one of the few that has a chance to save them both before the Shroud King takes over the modern world and leaves the old world to die.

Falling Angels - Yet ANOTHER deconstruction of superheroes. *weak cheering* Ya, I know, but I still like the characters... Inspired by the Neon Genesis Evangelion theme song.

TV Series

Vampyre Hymn - Modern day supernatural drama. Intended to be a 3 season tv series. May be dumped in favor of the CSI themed alternate version, which is a bit more interesting, but harder to do the character development for. Features Gloria and Holly, the latter being a mostly-vampire, the former being her mostly-human twin sister she happens to exist in the head of. Good times.

"Roller Ballet Derby" - Sports anime that explores discrimination through law making. What if prosthesis technology outpaced the equality movement? What would a world be like, if it were easier to replace failing body parts with robotics than to bother with expensive and imperfect "curing treatments"? What policies would have to be made, if you have people nothing more than brains in robot bodies? How would this new breed recreate underground sports and entertainment, where "injury" means a trip to the repair shop? And can the marginalized, cursed by a system they've outgrown, still be able to create art that can be appreciated by the "normal" majority? Plus, improvizational, multi-competitor, roller-bladed, slalom, racing dancing. With some courses awarding points for "incapacitating" the competition.

Movie List

Epiphany: Horror movie. A local Urban Legend torments a bunch of college kids by breaking their minds. Hopefully, results in a few deconstructions and philosophical musings. Also anti-slasher, any violence that occurs is only implied, the focus is on psychological horror.

"Standard Cruise RomCom": As it says. My attempt at doing a Romantic Comedy without all the stuff about Romantic Comedies I hate. Like over-the-top no-longer-funny humor. Still contains simple misunderstandings that drive the plot, but the characters at least try to justify why they let them continue.

"My Pixar-Style Movie": A new addition. To me, a "Pixar" movie is more than the animation studio: It's the embodiment of family movies that tell stories driven by the characters to hold meaning for every age group. (Go watch Wall-E again to see what I mean) This idea is a "coming of age" story featuring a 12 year old girl, the ghost of a young theatre actress (who's more "ham" than "morbid", and still intends to become "the world's greatest actor of all time!", lack of a physical body or no), and epic musicals inspired by the Golden Age of Movies.

Game

Siren Song - Console Japanese-type (Aka Final Fantasy) RPG. A music band from Earth discovers multiple dimensions that inspired our mythologies, their own magic, and try to buy back one of their members from a Dragon with an interesting idea of "treasure". (I also use these characters as the basis for music videos I make based on songs I like. I'll write out "Superman's Song" eventually to show what I mean.)

Fan Stuff

- I particularly like re-writing stuff based upon The Princess Bride movie (I like it better than the book, deal). Like, Full Metal Panic, where I send Sosouke off for a bit, Kaname gets kidnapped, then rescued by some awfully familiar "Man in Black" (insert curb stopping where the "I know who you are, your cruelty reveals everything!" scene occurs). Or, a favorite, taking the characters from my Legends of Regnum and seeing what I have to change in both stories to make the basic plot work (this one involves a "Are you done slapping me?" "I don't know, are you done deserving it?" "Well..." *slap* before the kissing when the "reveal" occurs).

- You know the differences between the Howl's Moving Castle Book and anime? Ya, I want to write a third version, mixing in elements from both. Told from Howl's point of view. Ends up a bit darker and less kid-safe (aka there's sex) than the originals.

After Thoughts

*blink blink* I apologize. Please remember: Lack of sleep! (I finished writing this after 8 hours of work and a total of 20 hours awake)
Last edited by NigaiAmai Yume on Thu May 14, 2009 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
NigaiAmai Yume

Re: A Random Call to Kick my Ascii and Make Me AWESOME!

Postby Xewleer » Sun May 10, 2009 11:50 pm

Ooohh... a Tv tropes man! I visit that place a lot myself.
Some of your ideas are trippy and not safe for sanity... kind of like Alice in wonder land.
Me? I like Norse gods in our modern era.
Oh, and eventually I'd like an artist for a "Trigun meets Cowboy Bebop meets Girl Genius webcomic set in a Gaslamp Fantasy alternate-Victorian Australia featuring mad inventor bounty hunters and Classic Greek mythology references with plot direction determined by reader votes" thing I've got brewing in my head.

TOTALLY AWESOME!!!
I'll show you how terrifying a true Christian can be!
Looking for a worthy opponent but the one man who can face me will not fight me anymore.
Xewleer

Postby NigaiAmai Yume » Thu May 14, 2009 12:55 am

Xewleer wrote:Ooohh... a Tv tropes man! I visit that place a lot myself.
Some of your ideas are trippy and not safe for sanity... kind of like Alice in wonder land.
Me? I like Norse gods in our modern era.

RE: Webcomic idea

TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

Yeah, I love categorizing and finding connections between ideas and themes, so TV Tropes is my playground. ^-^

And, yeah, sanity is definitely a casualty in most of my mind, let alone the writings. lol

I'd like to see some of your stuff with modern gods - do you mean the traditional Norse gods having to deal with the modern world, or the Norse gods fulfilling their domains in modern times? (Oh, the fun Loki would have with America at the moment...)

Great, now I want to write about a pantheon that develops IN the modern times, using the domains of the Norse gods... Brain, quit it, will ya??

I hope to get some of the scripts for the "introductory" arc of the web comic soon - explaining the world setting, introducing the main characters, before offering a branching point where the readers get to vote on what the characters do next. Fingers crossed on it happening...

Oh, and one last thing: I happen to possess both two X chromosomes and D-cup bras. ^_~
NigaiAmai Yume

Postby zeekgenateer » Thu May 14, 2009 1:21 am

From what I read, your stuff looks great. Good luck on all your projects (and finding one to focus on, its the hardest part :D).
zeekgenateer

Postby Xewleer » Thu May 14, 2009 7:56 am

NigaiAmai Yume wrote:Oh, and one last thing: I happen to possess both two X chromosomes and D-cup bras. ^_~

What? You lie! there are NO girls on the interwebs!

No matter... I meant to say certain ideas from Norse gods, (Yeah, Loki really being around would SUCK) anyway. I've got a story where the earth is invaded http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ProudWarriorRaceGuy led by valkyries and the aesir. Later, the main character, http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperpoweredEvilSide who has a super-powered evil side, cuts off a Valkyrie's wings for the lulz (hes got full-blown schizophrenia/multiple personality syndrome, you can't get your medication in an alien invasion, can you?). But he saves her life and decides to use her to start his own war against the aesir and their forces, by surgically-striking their main leadership. Yeah. Then http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RomanticPlotTumor, falls in love with the valkyrie he previously maimed. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IGotBetter?from=Main.HeGotBetter but because a bit of brain is in their wings she's severely messed up and under the assumption that he's her mate) Then bam! He's captured. They take the former Valkyrie away and force him to end the rebellions. It doesn't end well. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KillEmAll). They eventually have no more use for him and kill him off, and put the Valkyrie into a home for dismembered Valkyries.

I think that it's fully plausible that someone with wings would require some sort of highly advanced nerve cells, if not, well, who really cares? http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DidNotDoTheResearch?from=Main.DidNotDoResearch alright.

Oh! You'll find me under 'Xewleer' just like here.

Anyways. I primarily wrote that while I was playing Valkyrie games (Odin Sphere, primarily)

Edit: Wait, why would you want sex in Howl's moving castle? That makes no sense... (fan of both the book and movie)...
I'll show you how terrifying a true Christian can be!
Looking for a worthy opponent but the one man who can face me will not fight me anymore.
Xewleer

Return to Fiction, Poetry and Essays