Book 2 – Text Updates 059

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 059

Postby Aquillion » Mon May 27, 2013 7:15 pm

Judging by the new page, it was Fate, since the beam made a "MANOS" sound effect when it fell (referencing Manos: The Hand of Fate.)
Aquillion
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 4:45 am

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 059

Postby Fjord » Tue May 28, 2013 4:39 am

Kreistor wrote:
Okay, I'm rude. Is that your rationalization for other people doing bad things to me the way the word "arrogance" does for most?


Just... Just stop it, you're embarrassing yourself at this point. Almost everyone here agrees that you are overly-aggressive, that you make false conclusions and ignores peoples valid arguments and that your assumption that you are the victim is not only wrong, it is belittling the people that you attack frequently.
Much love,
Fjord
User avatar
Fjord
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:11 am

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 059

Postby name lips » Tue May 28, 2013 1:05 pm

I just thought of something...

Maybe Parson isn't a Caster. But he's something else, and the portals can't figure out if they're supposed to destroy him. He's not a caster -- but he's not NOT a caster either.

I think he's just a person. He can do anything he sets his mind to, anything he works hard enough at, tries to figure out, and practices. He can cast spells, and he can learn to fight, and he can learn rules of strategy. No other units in Erfworld have total freedom to diversify. They're all forced to specialize. Parson can be a great leader without it being represented as a "Leadership bonus." I also think he can cast spells without "being a Caster."

He breaks rules. He's a human being with a few stats slapped on, as opposed to the Erfworld units, who are collections of stats with a personality slapped on.
name lips
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:35 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 059

Postby Lilwik » Tue May 28, 2013 10:19 pm

Aquillion wrote:Judging by the new page, it was Fate, since the beam made a "MANOS" sound effect when it fell
That is a subtle joke, not actual evidence! It's an enormous leap from that sound effect to Active Fate.

name lips wrote:I think he's just a person. He can do anything he sets his mind to, anything he works hard enough at, tries to figure out, and practices.
I've been thinking the same thing since we learned that Parson actually can cast spells. Parson is the strangest sort of caster that we've seen. Since Wanda popped we know that casters pop knowing just how to cast their type of spells, but Parson is a caster who never popped and therefore doesn't know any spells at all. It seems clear that he could learn spells just like any caster learns spells outside of his specialty, by using a caster as a teacher.
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1116
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 059

Postby drachefly » Wed May 29, 2013 12:03 pm

Subtle? It was as subtle as the rant in Plan 9 from Outer Space.

It's a direct statement from the author that _fate did this_. Now, it doesn't mean fate is conscious or anything else, but it says that _that was fate_.

If it was McFate - that was just how things were going to work out, nothing else to it - then all the buildup around predictamancy would be terrible storytelling. Rob is not a terrible storyteller.
User avatar
drachefly
 
Posts: 1592
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 059

Postby Lilwik » Wed May 29, 2013 6:21 pm

drachefly wrote:Subtle? It was as subtle as the rant in Plan 9 from Outer Space.
Not everyone knows about Manos: The Hands of Fate. It's not really a popular movie. Unsubtle would be more like using "FATE" as the sound effect.

drachefly wrote:It's a direct statement from the author that _fate did this_.
No, the direct statement is "Manos," and you can take that to mean what you like, but don't mistake your interpretation for the actual words of the author. I wish we had a real direct statement about what Fate does or does not do.

drachefly wrote:If it was McFate - that was just how things were going to work out, nothing else to it - then all the buildup around predictamancy would be terrible storytelling.
What makes you say that? So Predictamancy just knows how things are going to work out and Dirtamancy just moves dirt around. Does that make Dirtamancy also terrible storytelling? To me Predictamancy seems more than important enough just for being able to do what we've seen, without having to imagine invisible hands of Fate doing stuff.
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1116
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 059

Postby drachefly » Thu May 30, 2013 9:41 am

Manos. What ELSE could it mean? It may not be a popular movie, but it is notorious, and all you need to know is the title.

This reminds me of the people who say Princess Celestia isn't a goddess.
User avatar
drachefly
 
Posts: 1592
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 059

Postby TheLiontamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:47 pm

drachefly wrote:Manos. What ELSE could it mean? It may not be a popular movie, but it is notorious, and all you need to know is the title.

This reminds me of the people who say Princess Celestia isn't a goddess.


I figured it just meant if was a giant hand slamming into it as really good Shockmancy. Never heard of Manos:The Hand of Fate. I could assume that because Hand of Fate is a common phrase, and Manos is spanish for hand maybe, but in reality I was thinking of Isaac slamming people with giant Hands of pewpew.

Also Princess Celestia is obviously not a goddess. Epic level princess wizard.
TheLiontamer
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:42 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 059

Postby Zeku » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:25 pm

I'm not sure if there's actually a rule against it here, but it's bad form to resurrect old threads.

No one cares about a conversation from several months ago. If they did, it would still be going on.
Zeku
 
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:35 am

Previous

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Keighvin1 and 5 guests