Magic Kingdom turns

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Magic Kingdom turns

Postby Intocabille_CZ » Mon May 27, 2013 2:20 am

How does the turn order work for MK, or they have turn all day (how about night) long, not being a real side? Then again even barbarians have their turn order.
Intocabille_CZ

Re: Magic Kingdom turns

Postby Doctor Foreman » Mon May 27, 2013 5:03 am

Intocabille_CZ wrote:How does the turn order work for MK, or they have turn all day (how about night) long, not being a real side? Then again even barbarians have their turn order.

Since it's occupied by units of multiple antagonistic sides, the inhabitants of the Magic Kingdom could technically engage one another at any time, barring juice restrictions. This is why the "neutral ground" rules are a matter of consensus and convention rather than in-built game mechanics.
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

Postby 0beron » Mon May 27, 2013 3:06 pm

Well if you are part of a side, your turn order does seem to fit into the MK "day" somewhere, because Wanda had to go into the MK to fetch Sizemore and she seemed annoyed that he hadn't noticed the Turn had begun. But I don't believe we know if that effects your actions within the MK.
The main thing is that casters are said to be unable to cast off-turn, but I'm pretty sure that "rule" has been broken in the MK, so it may be that while in the MK, everyone is "on turn".
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Doctor Foreman » Mon May 27, 2013 4:52 pm

0beron wrote:The main thing is that casters are said to be unable to cast off-turn, but I'm pretty sure that "rule" has been broken in the MK, so it may be that while in the MK, everyone is "on turn".

No, the rule is still in effect. You can cast off-turn if there are hostiles in your hex. It's likely that, as is the case with leadership, casters can choose not to engage. So you have a situation where the Magic Kingdom hex is technically perpetually contested territory, except no actual fighting happens for rather pragmatic reasons.
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

Postby Intocabille_CZ » Thu May 30, 2013 1:48 am

If that is the case then I assume that if there are no allied casters, they belong to barbarians, so the turn of MK starts as soon as the day starts (if I recall correctly, barbarians go first?).
Also it means that the spells duration is measured by unit the spell is cast by. Otherwise it would be kinda foolish, like calming down Jojo on his turn while it was "yours" and the spell would start working on his turn, but since you are engaging, then he still can protect...

MK sure is messed up place. :)

A side thought, how do sides with no casters purchase services of MK? Lets elave out Charlie (he pops only arhcons who are avian knights or something like that, but not casters, but he has thinkamancy). I mean how do you hire a caster, if you do not have a caster to enter the MK in the first place. And you do not have a caster to send a thinkagram to MK to hire a caster? Then again, perhaps natural leader thinkamancy can do that?
Intocabille_CZ

Postby ftl » Thu May 30, 2013 2:36 am

Well, presumably, you can think really hard and contact charlie and he'll send a message to the MK for you, for a price.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Thu May 30, 2013 3:13 am

I expect that casters can visit your side to offer their services without being invited. As long as they are peaceful about it, that is not a violation of neutrality. In fact, I'm sure most sides would be very happy to accept visiting casters as guests for negotiations about possible services. Of course that might all be ruined if enemy casters start using the Magic Kingdom to stage attacks.

Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if Charlie is not the only Thinkamancer that can be contacted mentally, and if you can contact the Magic Kingdom that way then you can arrange to hire any type of caster, with the Thinkamancer getting a percentage of the fee.
Lilwik

Postby Doctor Foreman » Thu May 30, 2013 6:01 am

Lilwik wrote:I expect that casters can visit your side to offer their services without being invited. As long as they are peaceful about it, that is not a violation of neutrality.

This seems like a plausible explanation.

I wonder if barbarians can pop in the Magic Kingdom.
Doctor Foreman

Postby Intocabille_CZ » Thu May 30, 2013 7:26 am

Doctor Foreman wrote:I wonder if barbarians can pop in the Magic Kingdom.

That would be interesting. Random caster unit popping in MK and then going through portal to offer turning to that portal´s side. :)
Intocabille_CZ

Postby bladestorm » Thu May 30, 2013 9:31 am

Predictamancers can Predict when a casterless side will need a caster, and can make arrangements for a nominal fee. Someone could be running a temp agency for casters.

Also, there may be a mechanism in place like a job board. A Ruler can write a work request and send it through a magick hat.

"Gobwin Knob is in need of a Signmancer to help with building upgrades in the city of DwagonCon. Term of contract will be until the city has reached level 2. Offering 5000 smuckers."
bladestorm

Postby drachefly » Thu May 30, 2013 9:45 am

I suspect that casters normally pop soon enough that purchasing services in the MK before your first caster is probably not a big issue.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Intocabille_CZ » Fri May 31, 2013 5:34 am

drachefly wrote:I suspect that casters normally pop soon enough that purchasing services in the MK before your first caster is probably not a big issue.

Some sides with unlucky town may not be able to pop casters at all. Charlie does not pop casters for example. But he is a special case. But I guess that as some city can not pop gwifons, some will not pop caster.
Intocabille_CZ

Postby Fjord » Fri May 31, 2013 5:43 am

Intocabille_CZ wrote:
drachefly wrote:I suspect that casters normally pop soon enough that purchasing services in the MK before your first caster is probably not a big issue.

Some sides with unlucky town may not be able to pop casters at all. Charlie does not pop casters for example. But he is a special case. But I guess that as some city can not pop gwifons, some will not pop caster.

It has been stated that: Every warlord have a chance to pop as a caster. A new side has an increased likelyhood of popping a caster (though the nature of the ruler seems to influence this too, ie. Jillian in new FAQ). Every level 2 city and above has the ability to pop warlords.

So yes, level 1 cities are incapable of popping warlords.
Charlie doesn't pop warlords at all, so naturally he wouldn't get any casters.
Fjord

Postby mortissimus » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:17 am

Intocabille_CZ wrote:
Doctor Foreman wrote:I wonder if barbarians can pop in the Magic Kingdom.

That would be interesting. Random caster unit popping in MK and then going through portal to offer turning to that portal´s side. :)

I has somewhere been written that there is no shame being in the MK unless you are a Predictomancer. Which I interpreted as no popping in the MK, all casters that live there has been ordered to evacuate by their ruler.
mortissimus

Return to Everything Else Erfworld