New Art Style (and what I dislike)

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

New Art Style (and what I dislike)

Postby Micronian » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:41 am

I'm sure there are posts about the new artist preview (both positive and negative) but I only have one real issue that I didn't notice reading in the forums.

The new art style (as in the Erfabet), is much too 2-dimensional

Characters just seem too flat (pun intended) and don't stand out very well to me. I've always seen the Archons as being very sexy, Charlie's Angels, type of character and seeing them in the current preview I don't get that vibe.

I will still read Erfworld and probably buy the books, but something feels... missing.
Micronian

Re: New Art Style (and what I dislike)

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:57 am

I tend to agree. I think Xin's art is fantastic, but obviously too demanding to maintain any kind of a regular pace. I do think that if we compared the latest style to Book 1, it would seem to be an improvement. It feels kind of in between Xin's and Jamie's styles - more detailed than Jamie's, but not as crisp and meticulous as Xin's. Xin totally spoiled us, but I'm looking forward to being proven wrong once the initial growing pains pass. :D
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby Sir_Dr_D » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:18 pm

Well for the Erfabet, i think the artist is trying to maintain the art style that was used for the period that it represents. Since this represents the original 3 archons, the style is closer to jamies. Slately and the battle between decrypted units and Haggar was closer to Xin's art style.

But I tend to agree with MarbitChow. Xin's art style was good, but probably too good for what could be produced. The new artist does seem to be able to keep the same feeling as Xin's art, while having a style that looks easier to produce.
Sir_Dr_D
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby LordAcme » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:59 am

Just something I just noticed about the Erfabet Q graphic. Jillian has an expression that I'd never have expected. Pensive.

... we should probably start a thread about each character's personality to maybe help David understand the characters better faster. Pensive, introspecting, or anything else involving self-examination has not been a big part of Jillian's character to date :)
LordAcme
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby SteveMB » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:13 am

LordAcme wrote:Just something I just noticed about the Erfabet Q graphic. Jillian has an expression that I'd never have expected. Pensive.

... we should probably start a thread about each character's personality to maybe help David understand the characters better faster. Pensive, introspecting, or anything else involving self-examination has not been a big part of Jillian's character to date :)

Well, she has had her moments (such as the aftermath of the confrontation with Wanda at the Tower of Efdup).
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby bladestorm » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:57 am

LordAcme wrote:Just something I just noticed about the Erfabet Q graphic. Jillian has an expression that I'd never have expected. Pensive.

Jillian is also dealing with stuff that she can't just beat down with a sword and a high leadership bonus. Well, she could, but she wants to keep Ansom around for a while and may not want to dust him so soon after capturing him. She also has to deal with Charlescomm, city management, production numbers, and a whole new scale of danger. She's at her best when it is just herself on the line. Now, there may be hundreds of units that depend upon her survival, so she can't be her usual sword-swinging madwoman self., plus, she may be realizing that her old man may not have been as bad of a ruler as she thought.
bladestorm

Postby effataigus » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:14 pm

I'm really enjoying the Erfabet art, personally. It makes me think of what Jamie would come up with if he started with Xin's work as a model. It is less intricate than Xin's, but still conveys (and even highlights) the necessary information. It's also very fun, for lack of a better word.

Xin definitely gave us a couple masterpieces in there though. More than a couple by now.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby LordAcme » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:59 pm

bladestorm wrote:

Jillian is also dealing with stuff that she can't just beat down with a sword and a high leadership bonus. Well, she could, but she wants to keep Ansom around for a while and may not want to dust him so soon after capturing him. She also has to deal with Charlescomm, city management, production numbers, and a whole new scale of danger. She's at her best when it is just herself on the line. Now, there may be hundreds of units that depend upon her survival, so she can't be her usual sword-swinging madwoman self., plus, she may be realizing that her old man may not have been as bad of a ruler as she thought.

I actually can't agree with that. I see Jillian as a true warlord through and through. If there's something she doesn't want to do but has to, she does it eventually. But she's kicking, screaming and ready to behead anything close all the while.

She may have some moments in which she actually has feelings of doubt or weakness, but they're instantly given a swift kick out the door so she can get back to business. Which is killing people and taking their cities. I wish David had drawn her in battle mode instead, as that's her default state.
LordAcme
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby LordAcme » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:24 pm

3 is for 3D specs - OMG it's Peter Griffin!
LordAcme
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Chance Gardener » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Overall I like the colors. Everything seems to be given heavy lining though which seems a little much.
The thing that is bothering me the most though are the faces. Both Jamie and Xin, while different, had much more expressive faces.
The new ones, lack something. I don't want to say personality but someone here mentioned that things are looking too much "2-D" and I think that is what I am seeing in the faces.

The one with Janis and Sizemore. Just off in so many little ways.
I can't tell if Janis has no nose and her lip is some sort of angled shelf or that is supposed to be her nose tip below her nostrils.
Although, as I said on the coloring, a very nice effect on the fire glow in Sizemore's face and his eyes.
But he looks like 20 yrs younger now than he does currently.
And Janis is looking like a Berkeley hippie chick instead of an Earth Mother.

And props to the Peter Griffin comment.
I couldn't put my finger on what was bothering me about Parson's face but I think you nailed it.

With all that though, I am hoping he does well and grows into the task.
It can't be easy coming into this after 2 other artists having left their mark on the hearts and minds of us all.
No enviable task that and even with my complaints, I wish him years of successful Erf drawing for us.

Welcome aboard.
Chance Gardener
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:05 am

Oh god....I'm sorry, but Wanda is AWFUL. I've enjoyed this art so far and been fine with the differences of style, but this new chick claiming to be Wanda is more than an artistic difference, that's a different woman....
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby LordAcme » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:22 am

FEI, there's also an Erfabet thread in the Reactions forum that has some things going on - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6541.

Not trying to start a movement to criticize David's work, but constructive criticism is how work on intangibles gets shaped, so I think there's a place for it (if done honestly and in a no-harm, no-foul environment). I make intangibles too, albeit in a written form, and starting with "what do you want? what will it do for you?" is de rigeur to avoid hearing about unfulfilled expectations after you've already gotten into the work.

If I were asked to state "what do I want" from where things are now, it would be "rounder, more mature faces" for everyone, and "rounder, more mature body" where appropriate for the signamancy (Wanda is the prime example). I see nothing else I couldn't easily accept (although the little angle upper lip took a moment to recognize).
LordAcme
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby drachefly » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:53 am

0beron wrote:Oh god....I'm sorry, but Wanda is AWFUL. I've enjoyed this art so far and been fine with the differences of style, but this new chick claiming to be Wanda is more than an artistic difference, that's a different woman....

This one seems as far off to the side as her Book 2 dance fight outfit did. Only that was with a wig.

This... looks like Evil Lynn.
drachefly

Postby coyo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:51 pm

I really like this picture. To me it sort of associates the different artists like different incarnations of the Doctor. Maybe it's tradition now for an artist to have a go at Erfworld for a while, then hand it over to someone new. I'm OK with this.

. o O (we're just approximations of ourselves)
. o O (imagination is)
coyo
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Return to Everything Else Erfworld