Erfabet

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Erfabet

Postby Lipkin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:43 am

Yeah, Janis looks super gross. Needs to be more cuddly.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:06 pm

I'm just glad at the lack of hollow brown eyes like Vanna. For some reason those freaked me out.

On the other hand, I have liked everything Transylvito, and I liked the Doll and Bunny most of all.

Edit*
Like the 3D specs Metal golem too. Bad ass looking.
Last edited by Shai_hulud on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Raza » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:12 pm

If these are posted in chronological order of their creation, I'm a bit disappointed with the progress. :|

Ah, well. I didn't start reading erfworld for the art either, early in book 1, and that was before I knew what to expect from the writing. Plus, practice makes everything better, even if it's going to take a bit.
Raza

Postby Finn MacCool » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:54 am

uhh, why would anyone put muzzles on their gwiffons? do they eat playing cards?
Finn MacCool

Postby drachefly » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:02 am

Finn MacCool wrote:uhh, why would anyone put muzzles on their gwiffons? do they eat playing cards?

Feed-bags?
drachefly

Postby Shai_hulud » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:09 am

Picture is actually a variant of this image. Text quoted below.
Feedbags were tied on their gwiffons, and they relieved themselves into the lake from on high.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Finn MacCool » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:07 pm

ahh, thanks to both of you.
Finn MacCool

Postby Shai_hulud » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:26 pm

No problem. I literally have nothing better to do.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Sir_Dr_D » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:09 pm

H is for Hamstard :lol:

I should have guessed that one. And the rhyme is funny as well.
Sir_Dr_D
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby frei » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:59 am

Wow, Wanda looks... adult
frei

Postby vintermann » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:37 am

Yeah. When he draw Janis, I first thought "That doesn't look like Janis at all!". But really, she looks just like she looks in Book 1. Xin has a radically different interpretation of Janis than Jamie. Both have their good points, really - Jamie's Janis looks less pretty, more weary, a bit more like a hippie. Xin's Janis looks much more motherly and assertive.

Likewise, it looks like Wanda is going to get a highly characteristic interpretation from David, if this image is any guide. But that's OK, I like it.
vintermann
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby arbo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:58 am

Æon Flux hair and outfit! Probably unintentional, but so adequate.

“Run this same calculation ten times in a row. Go.”
arbo
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby LordAcme » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:08 am

Damn the feelings, full honesty ahead. Dealing with that Wanda will be tough. She doesn't convey the Wanda-ness of the character for me (Jamie's is the high water mark imo).
LordAcme
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby the_tick_rules » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:31 am

I wouldn't have recognized that as Wanda if not for the words. Janis did look a bit more pudgy but I still recognized her. Though I should add it's not like I'm going to be mad about it. Hey we know you're a new artist but draw everything the way the person before you did, sounds weird.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby coyotenose » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:10 pm

LordAcme wrote:Damn the feelings, full honesty ahead. Dealing with that Wanda will be tough. She doesn't convey the Wanda-ness of the character for me (Jamie's is the high water mark imo).

Yeah, Jamie had consistency issues with Wanda early on, but when he found his stride, she looked Erfing awesome.

I think my very favorite image of her is during the final muster in the dungeon in Book One. All the casters are dubious of Parson's skill and despondent (and as we learn later, Wanda in particular was VERY despondent), and then he starts explaining how strategy works. He finishes by telling them "That's why you don't hold things back from the guy who plans you battles!" and then involves them in the process by asking them what the strategic goal is. Wanda's face as she responds... it's just starting to fill with hope, something she probably hasn't felt in hundreds of turns. It's perfect.
coyotenose

Postby Simons Mith » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:10 pm

Oh dear, I'm afraid I think the new Wanda is the first dud note. On the whole I think the new simplified art style is a good thing while still capturing the spirit of Erf, but this isn't right.

Xin's work was exquisite, absolutely exquisite, and I'm not surprised she found keeping up the pace at that quality too hard. It compares very well with Girl Genius, for example - but then they've got a team of three and /decades/ more experience.

David's style looks like it will be fine for the long run. But this Wanda needs work. This ain't her, yet, IMV. But it's really hard to articulate why. Maybe this version is too vampy, too overtly sexual. There was something restrained about Wanda that allowed her to wear the most outragous stuff and carry it off. This one seems to be missing that sense of reserve, and as that's a key part of her character it makes the picture just a shadow of the true Wanda. She just looks tarty. If I can think of a better way to say what I think's missing I'll come back and do so. But on the whole, bloody good work, David, keep it up! And don't take this post too much to heart because I have a feeling by the time the next book starts you'll have 'got' the character fully anyway.

Edit: mortissimus seems to have hit it dead on, two posts down.
Last edited by Simons Mith on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simons Mith

Postby Finn MacCool » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:47 pm

i think wanda - like most characters depicted in the erfabet so far - is lacking a good dose of cuteness.
Finn MacCool

Postby mortissimus » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:54 pm

Simons Mith wrote:David's style looks like it will be fine for the long run. But this Wanda needs work. This ain't her, yet, IMV. But it's really hard to articulate why. Maybe this version is too vampy, too overtly sexual. There was something restrained about Wanda that allowed her to wear the most outragous stuff and carry it off. This one seems to be missing that sense of reserve, and as that's a key part of her character it makes the picture just a shadow of the true Wanda. She just looks tarty. If I can think of a better way to say what I think's missing I'll come back and do so. But on the whole, bloody good work, David, keep it up! And don't take this post too much to heart because I have a feeling by the time the next book starts you'll have 'got' the character fully anyway.

Going back and checking book 1 I'd say it is the male gaze in David's picture here. Ok, feminism 101: the male gaze is the tendency for pictures to be constructed so that the viwer has an easy time identifying with men in the picture, and an easy time to see the women as sexy. Typical stuff is men in suits shown with a focus on the face, and women in sexy outfits highlighting the areas constructed as sexy. The gender of the person behind the pen or the camera is not relevant, only the composition of the picture.

So it is not only the Wanda but the whole picture focusing on her boobs by way of her outfit, her posture, the color contrast and the position of the boobs near the geographical center of the picture. Jamie's Wanda had outrageous outfits but the pictures did not make that the center of attention, instead bringing focus to her facial understated but very clear expressions. Both Jamie and Xin has also had Wanda with a very powerful body language.

Check for example scantily clad, and crazy powerful Wanda here: http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F143.jpg

Or how Wanda's cleavage is way out of focus early on in book 1 (Erfworlders being bubble-heads back tehn of course helped push everything else out of focus).

Jamie set a very hard precendence to follow with Wanda, in how he managed to convey a powerful, sexy, reserved and person with focus on facial expressions (despite being reserved). Xin's Wanda was very criticised in the beginning, and I am sure David will get it in time.
mortissimus

Postby LordAcme » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:03 pm

mortissimus wrote:
Simons Mith wrote:David's style looks like it will be fine for the long run. But this Wanda needs work. This ain't her, yet, IMV. But it's really hard to articulate why. Maybe this version is too vampy, too overtly sexual. There was something restrained about Wanda that allowed her to wear the most outragous stuff and carry it off. This one seems to be missing that sense of reserve, and as that's a key part of her character it makes the picture just a shadow of the true Wanda. She just looks tarty. If I can think of a better way to say what I think's missing I'll come back and do so. But on the whole, bloody good work, David, keep it up! And don't take this post too much to heart because I have a feeling by the time the next book starts you'll have 'got' the character fully anyway.

Going back and checking book 1 I'd say it is the male gaze in David's picture here. Ok, feminism 101: the male gaze is the tendency for pictures to be constructed so that the viwer has an easy time identifying with men in the picture, and an easy time to see the women as sexy. Typical stuff is men in suits shown with a focus on the face, and women in sexy outfits highlighting the areas constructed as sexy. The gender of the person behind the pen or the camera is not relevant, only the composition of the picture.

So it is not only the Wanda but the whole picture focusing on her boobs by way of her outfit, her posture, the color contrast and the position of the boobs near the geographical center of the picture. Jamie's Wanda had outrageous outfits but the pictures did not make that the center of attention, instead bringing focus to her facial understated but very clear expressions. Both Jamie and Xin has also had Wanda with a very powerful body language.

Check for example scantily clad, and crazy powerful Wanda here: http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F143.jpg

Or how Wanda's cleavage is way out of focus early on in book 1 (Erfworlders being bubble-heads back tehn of course helped push everything else out of focus).

Jamie set a very hard precendence to follow with Wanda, in how he managed to convey a powerful, sexy, reserved and person with focus on facial expressions (despite being reserved). Xin's Wanda was very criticised in the beginning, and I am sure David will get it in time.

+1 for the return of the bubbleheads, by the bye. I loved that about the look, because it bridged the gap between tiny cute people also being full adults in command of armies. The more "real" you try to make Erfworld, the farther from the ideal you get, I think.
LordAcme

Postby LordAcme » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:06 pm

coyotenose wrote:
LordAcme wrote:Damn the feelings, full honesty ahead. Dealing with that Wanda will be tough. She doesn't convey the Wanda-ness of the character for me (Jamie's is the high water mark imo).

Yeah, Jamie had consistency issues with Wanda early on, but when he found his stride, she looked Erfing awesome.

I think my very favorite image of her is during the final muster in the dungeon in Book One. All the casters are dubious of Parson's skill and despondent (and as we learn later, Wanda in particular was VERY despondent), and then he starts explaining how strategy works. He finishes by telling them "That's why you don't hold things back from the guy who plans you battles!" and then involves them in the process by asking them what the strategic goal is. Wanda's face as she responds... it's just starting to fill with hope, something she probably hasn't felt in hundreds of turns. It's perfect.

My permanent impression of Wanda was at the very beginning. http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F002.jpg. Here her face is filling with a number of emotions, but none of them is hope hehe.
LordAcme

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions