Summer Update - 035

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Summer Update - 035

Postby balder » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:01 am

New one is up. Longest one yet, I think.
balder

Re: Summer Update - 035

Postby darthoctopus » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:07 am

oooh. Stanley's inferiority complex is flaring up. and more army-building!

Right, they don't have a Lookamancer any more. Tactical advantage gone, I suppose. Why don't they pop a new one, since they're outsourcing their dwagons to feral ones in rural hexes now? Then GK could both scout for dwagons and maintain at least some Archons doing guard duty, in the long run. Plus, they could hook up the Eyemancer table again. Unless that's not really an option? Are Casters too expensive for the Richest Side in Erfworld?
Last edited by darthoctopus on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
darthoctopus

Postby name lips » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:18 am

I'm getting the feeling you can't just pick to pop Casters.... or every side would have at least 1 of every type. They're a HUGE tactical advantage. Maybe each turn there's a percent chance a special unit, like a Caster or Noble, will pop -- maybe depending on the size/quality of a city, and who's leading it. That's just pure speculation though.

I like this line of questioning, though. Parson apparently can't follow orders he doesn't understand -- unlike most units, who instinctively know exactly what their Duty is.
name lips

Postby gameboy1234 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:22 am

Yeah that part is confusing me too. Parson should at least feel something when he isn't doing his duty, like the headache he got when he first arrived. Maybe the spell is wearing off?

Also we're seeing a reason to declare an heir. I wonder if Stanley will do it. Other sides seem to declare an heir as a matter of course. At least, Transylvito and Faq did. I wonder if that's an advantage of Nobility -- an heir is required. That way at least sides don't go barbarian if the Overlord/King is croaked.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Spot » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:25 am

Interesting. Parson is starting to learn how to manage Stanley properly.
I shamelessly stole my avatar from Cloudbreaker :D
Spot

Postby Pointyleaf » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:47 am

Hmm. A dragon or two per turn is pretty nice. *Very* nice, actually - in a couple weeks Stanley'll have rebuilt the dragon army he lost to Caesar.
Pointyleaf

Postby Lord Kasavin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:00 am

name lips wrote:I'm getting the feeling you can't just pick to pop Casters.... or every side would have at least 1 of every type. They're a HUGE tactical advantage. Maybe each turn there's a percent chance a special unit, like a Caster or Noble, will pop -- maybe depending on the size/quality of a city, and who's leading it. That's just pure speculation though.

There's also the issue of upkeep. Casters seem to have high upkeep. I think it was suggested that FAQ had to do mercenary work to pay all their units upkeep. Considering the lack of any real army, I suspect casters made up a large chunk of that high upkeep.

I like this line of questioning, though. Parson apparently can't follow orders he doesn't understand -- unlike most units, who instinctively know exactly what their Duty is.

True, he is a stranger in a strange land, where the only freedom he retains is found an ignorance. Or something like that. Also, if Rocking out is better than dance fighting, why didn't we see Rock out at the battle of the pass? Or wa he rocking out while the knights danced?
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby BarGamer » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:00 am

Excellent update. Stanley must be some kind of musical prodigy, to be able to play like that... Unless the ArkenHammer gave him that ability? In any case, I can't get the image of "Parson, Rock Roadie," out of my head now. Too much Brutal Legend anticipation, I guess.

You know, with Parson's Mathamancy... Stanley's got the Rock, Parson's got the Rolls, all we need now is Pensacola... ;)
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:04 am

i like this update. also second appearance of zhopa, by now we should have about 8 twolls (about 8 or 5) and he's been mentioned twice so i smell a new background character.

also parson having to actually manage the city physically is interesting, completely removed from earth's version of management. which is essentially hire a PA to do your job while you play golf.

it seems the eyemancer link dropping out must have compromised those eyebooks, but they should never have stopped using them, just stop using them for real orders. put a few twolls on eyebook detail..except they may not possess reading skills
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby moose o death » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:06 am

also did anyone else notice that stanley implies disbanding happens automatically if you shirk duty.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby random_guy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:10 am

Seems like Parson doesn't know if cities can pop casters http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F043a.jpg. We haven't seen anything that concludes whether or not cities can pop casters. So far, Gobwin Knob has been popping twolls, but there might be tactical reasons for that. They just rebuilt their city and Stanley probably wants a garrison that is not controlled by Wanda. I'm hoping there's an explanation about casters' origins, if it turns out they cannot pop casters later on.
random_guy
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby hanglekuk » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:12 am

Just wanted to comment on writing. It was AWESOME. :) For me - one of the best chapters in Summer updates.

Btw, summer is gone for awhile now. There was recent announcement about kick-off party for Book2 at Capclave, but does it mean that we won't see a chapters from the new book before that date?

and no surprise there that ROCK beats DISCO :)

Rock on!
hanglekuk

Postby cloudbreaker » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:24 am

It looks like GK got the magic hats. Wonder if they got any other goodies from the Coalition.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby OneHugeTuck » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:11 am

I can't -wait- to see Wanda's decrypted rebel army on the ground, trying to dance fight against Stanley Knight Riding Dragons army rocking out in the sky above to AC/DC'S Thunder. I imagine lightning and emplty beer bottles rampaging down onto through those on the ground, and something like a panicked stampede happens, like a fire going off in an ampitheatre.

A dragon every turn or two....that's.....a big freaking dragon army. That's got lots of potential. Imagine having as many dragons as transylvito has bats. Of course, TV has more warlords to increase the bats' stats...

What's a unit that can come up out of the lava?
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Justyn » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:18 am

Summer Updates – 035 wrote:That afternoon, Parson was standing outside a stithy on the far side of town from the Garrison, when the Twoll armorer looked skyward and said, "Ooh! My Lord!"

I think that that should be "smithy".

OneHugeTuck wrote:A dwagon every turn or two....that's.....a big freaking dwagon army. That's got lots of potential. Imagine having as many dwagons as Transylvito has bats. Of course, TV has more warlords to increase the bats' stats...

Nonono, they are going to be getting one or two dwagons every turn, not a dwagon every other turn. Big difference.

OneHugeTuck wrote:What's a unit that can come up out of the lava?

I'd like to see that one myself.
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Akkristor » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:39 am

I think Parson's "disobeyance" is simply the fact that he didn't KNOW he was disobeying.

Think about it. Every unit in Erfworld seems intimately familiar with all it's rules and mechanics. But Parson isn't. Parson didn't know he had to physically oversee production for the bonus to apply. Because of that, he was not forced to do so, because the enchantment effects his mind, and forces him to obey orders to the best of his knowledge. Literally, what Parson doesn't know, can't hurt him. Or, rather, in this case, what he doesn't know, he can't be forced to do.
Akkristor

Postby Gez » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:47 am

random_guy wrote:Seems like Parson doesn't know if cities can pop casters http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F043a.jpg.

He knows they do, Sizemore told him so: http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F078.jpg
Gez

Postby zz_tophat » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:19 am

Rock > Dance fighting

'Nuff said.
zz_tophat

Postby KiltedNinja » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:29 am

Justyn wrote:
Summer Updates – 035 wrote:That afternoon, Parson was standing outside a stithy on the far side of town from the Garrison, when the Twoll armorer looked skyward and said, "Ooh! My Lord!"

*Early morning random post for no apparent reason * Stithy

Very nice update :)

I wonder what the second city was that Wanda & Co took...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
...I'm still holding out for the Arkenoid...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
KiltedNinja
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Justyn » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:33 am

KiltedNinja wrote:
Justyn wrote:

*Early morning random post for no apparent reason * Stithy

Very nice update :)

I wonder what the second city was that Wanda & Co took...

I did not know that. +1 vocabulary.
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn

Next

Return to Reactions