Amateur Predictamancy Thread (BETTING)

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: Amateur Predictamancy Thread (BETTING)

Postby drachefly » Tue May 14, 2013 8:56 pm

Yeah, I think the latest update was enough additional information for those to require confirmation before finalization.
drachefly

Postby bladestorm » Thu May 16, 2013 4:21 pm

30Q that the Arkenhammer does not provide lateral movement as of Book 2.
bladestorm

Postby Fjord » Thu May 16, 2013 5:26 pm

Hey Bladesstorm.
If you mean that:

"Before book 2 ends, it has beyond the shadow of a doubt been proven, that the hammer grants the lexicon definiton of the word "levitation" (vertical movement only), thus proving that horizontal movement with the hammer is impossible without help"

Then I will take that bet
Fjord

Postby bladestorm » Thu May 16, 2013 5:42 pm

Fjord wrote:Hey Bladesstorm.
If you mean that:

"Before book 2 ends, it has beyond the shadow of a doubt been proven, that the hammer grants the lexicon definiton of the word "levitation" (vertical movement only), thus proving that horizontal movement with the hammer is impossible without help"

Yeah, sure. My personal idea is that it allows for drifting rather than true flight, but I'll go along with what you said just for the sake of having the bet in play.
bladestorm

Postby drachefly » Thu May 16, 2013 6:41 pm

I wouldn't take that, personally - I suspect we're closing in on the end of book 2, and would want to let it sit longer. But I'll definitely put it up for you.
drachefly

Postby bladestorm » Fri May 17, 2013 9:30 am

My 20 to anyone else's 5 that Charlie wanted Stanley to change the capital.
bladestorm

Postby mortissimus » Fri May 17, 2013 3:00 pm

bladestorm wrote:My 20 to anyone else's 5 that Charlie wanted Stanley to change the capital.

I'll take that.
mortissimus

Postby erwaro » Sat May 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Well, it's looking like my biggest bet is going to go against me...

Good thing it's only 10 q.

How about this, then? My 5 to your 10 says that Parson is either a Findamancer or a Weirdomancer. If he's anything else, you win. If he doesn't have a discipline, no resolution.
erwaro

Postby Shai_hulud » Sat May 18, 2013 5:06 pm

I will bet 10 if I win with 20 if I lose that the scrolls lyrics were romantic/valentines like in nature.
edit*
As opposed to say a joke/dirty rhyme.
Last edited by Shai_hulud on Sat May 18, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Sat May 18, 2013 5:19 pm

erwaro wrote:Well, it's looking like my biggest bet is going to go against me...

Good thing it's only 10 q.

How about this, then? My 5 to your 10 says that Parson is either a Findamancer or a Weirdomancer. If he's anything else, you win. If he doesn't have a discipline, no resolution.

I'll take that.
Lipkin

Postby GJC » Sun May 19, 2013 7:08 am

Hasn't it been explicitly stated that Parson is a Hippiemancer?

http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F140.jpg

Or are we assuming Janis lied?
GJC

Postby Doctor Foreman » Sun May 19, 2013 12:55 pm

GJC wrote:

It's been explicitly claimed that Parson is a Hippiemancer. But indeed, a number of us are assuming Janis lied or was at least using a poetic definition of Hippiemancer ("breaking" the war would seem to be in line with the straightforward goals of Flower Power, for instance).
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

Postby Fjord » Sun May 19, 2013 2:52 pm

bladestorm wrote:
Fjord wrote:Hey Bladesstorm.
If you mean that:

Yeah, sure. My personal idea is that it allows for drifting rather than true flight, but I'll go along with what you said just for the sake of having the bet in play.

I will take it with "drifting" too, but should we maybe say before book 3 ends? The current storyline seems to be wrapping up, and it seems quite unlikely that Rob will have a chance/reason to tell us before that happens.
Fjord

Postby Fjord » Sun May 19, 2013 2:53 pm

bladestorm wrote:My 20 to anyone else's 5 that Charlie wanted Stanley to change the capital.

I will take that
Fjord

Postby drachefly » Sun May 19, 2013 7:50 pm

Since those have been taken, I take it you mean you'd offer the opposites of those bets?

If so, I'll take the first one. I'm pretty sure he can fly properly.
drachefly

Postby erwaro » Mon May 20, 2013 12:10 am

Doctor Foreman wrote:
GJC wrote:

It's been explicitly claimed that Parson is a Hippiemancer. But indeed, a number of us are assuming Janis lied or was at least using a poetic definition of Hippiemancer ("breaking" the war would seem to be in line with the straightforward goals of Flower Power, for instance).

Yes. My personal thought is that Janis wasn't lying, just operating under a false assumption. The spell is supposed to find someone to end war, which would obviously be a hippiemancer, right? Although she might have also simply said hippiemancer to calm people down- What's a novice hippiemancer going to do in combat, huh? Regardless, I have my own ideas. About things.

Though I wouldn't be terribly surprised if I was wrong. At this point, I'm hoping that one of my random guesses hits the mark, and it pays off in rep, if not in q.
erwaro

Postby walpurgisborn » Tue May 21, 2013 8:14 pm

mortissimus wrote:I want to bet 10Q that Jack is indeed dead as of page 105. Dead, croaked, pushing up daisies, pining for the fjords. No illusion or trickery. In order to make it fair to all those who wants to loose their Quatloos to their grief, I am willing to bet this with up to five different forumites. So five possible bets of 10Q to 10Q on Jacks demise. In order to make sure the bet has an end, for him not to have been croaked on page 105 a live (not decrypted or uncroaked) Jack needs to be shown before the end of book 2.

You offered it up on the reactions page, so I'll take you up. There is far too much to learn from and about Jack to kill him ATM, we still aren't sure the details of his ''trick'' which allowed him access to Jetstone, and the manner of demise was inconsistent with the quality and style of writing associated with the story.
walpurgisborn

Postby mortissimus » Wed May 22, 2013 8:22 am

Excellent.
mortissimus

Postby Whispri » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:40 am

Whispri wrote:
erwaro wrote:I will lay out my amateur predictamancy for those who wish to disagree:

10 quatloo says that no casters are involved in stopping the fire. That is, if you bet against me, and a caster is involved in putting out the Spacerock Inferno, you win. Bet concludes when the inferno does. If we don't find out when the inferno dies, or in the immediate aftermath (say, 5 relevant updates), no bet resolution, and not q are exchanged. Parson doesn't count as a caster for the purpose of this bet, obviously. Actually, I'll go ahead and say that you win if you bet against me and Parson does something magical to put out the fire.

As a separate bet, my 10 quatloo to your 20 says that Parson puts out the fire by ordering the city razed. That is, if you bet against me, you win 10 quatloo if the inferno is put out by methods other than the city being ordered razed. I win 20 q if the fire gets put out by the city being ordered razed (it doesn't necessarily have to be Parson who issues the order, though I'd be surprised if it was someone else).

I'll take the first bet.

Whelp, magic was used to put the fire out.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby erwaro » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:52 am

Yeah, I lost that one. Live and learn.
erwaro

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else Erfworld