Speculation - Hippy with a Hammer

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Speculation - Hippy with a Hammer

Postby OneHugeTuck » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:32 am

Just thinking....

If Parson is a hippiemancer...
If Parson gets the Arkenhammer....

Would that be enough to twist Rock into 70's Rock?

"If I had a hammer...I'd hammer in the morning, I'd hammer in the evening...."

Admittedly, just not that impressive.
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Re: Speculation - Hippy with a Hammer

Postby moose o death » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:07 am

you made this thread to boost your forum stats didn't you?
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby OneHugeTuck » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:07 pm

moose o death wrote:you made this thread to boost your forum stats didn't you?

Yes, because I wan't to be the forum's Chief Warlord. Obviously.
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby carisbourg » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Considering what Parson listens to, I don't think he'd be going for "hippie rock."
carisbourg

Postby Dwagon_Cwoaker » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:31 pm

bang bang maxwell's silver hammer came down, on her head...
bang bang maxwell's silver hammer made sure that she was dead...

beatles ftw :D
Dwagon_Cwoaker

Postby Infidel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:16 am

The thread title made me think of that song too.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby DevilDan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:46 am

It's been mentioned that to Stanley the whole world looks like a nail...

What isn't so clear is whether Parson is any sort of caster, much less a hippiemancer.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Zolkabro » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:45 am

DevilDan wrote:What isn't so clear is whether Parson is any sort of caster, much less a hippiemancer.

It is. http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F140.jpg
Zolkabro

Postby moose o death » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:21 am

communcation breakdown...she's lying. casters are not warlords and parson is a warlord. the casters are instructed to kill any non casters who crash through that portal. janice and the other grand casters have their own plans for parson so LIED to keep him alive.

you don't get two chances at a perfect warlord spell. the first time finds the right guy, the second only finds the guy who would've failled anyway
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Anton Gaist » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:09 am

moose o death wrote:you don't get two chances at a perfect warlord spell. the first time finds the right guy, the second only finds the guy who would've failled anyway

That's debatable. "Perfect Warlord" means the one that best fits the description made upon summoning, in Gotti's case what Stanley wanted and Wanda looked for. A different caster (a Master Findamancer, for instance), following a different ruler's instructions, would come up with a different Perfect Warlord.

You remind me of the hippy.
What hippy?
Hippy with the hammer.
What hammer?
Hammer of voodoo.
Who do?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the hippy.
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby DevilDan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:24 am

Actually, the new perfect warlord would be one who can deal with the current capabilities of GK, which include Parson.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby moose o death » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:09 pm

the spell wasn't for gk, the magic kingdom has it's perfect warlord and they are unlikely to counter their own plans
moose o death

Postby DevilDan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Even if the spell wasn't created for GK specifically, it has been suggested that the casting was influenced by Stanley's shouted requirements.

That aside, Parson was the perfect warlord for pre-Hamster Erf. Post-Hamster Erf is a different world already and it could well be argued that dealing with and besting Parson would be important tasks for any would-be perfect warlords from now on.

Also, we tend to think of the Magic Kingdom as some sort of united front; in truth, we know nothing about their political structure, their Erfopolitical status, their "goals," etc. Just because one Grand Abbie has one goal—a vague goal, mind you, not even a plan—doesn't mean that there's a gigantic caster conspiracy to see it come to be.
DevilDan

Postby moose o death » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:04 pm

if there is, or not, the MK have no need to flood erfworld with perfect warlords. the first one was what the MK wanted. as wanda says towards the close of the book, erfworld wanted you.

stanley's whining had comical repurcusions, but i think they may have been coincidental rather than the cause.
moose o death

Postby DevilDan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:05 pm

moose o death wrote:if there is, or not, the MK have no need to flood erfworld with perfect warlords. the first one was what the MK wanted. as wanda says towards the close of the book, erfworld wanted you.

Wait, "what the MK wanted?" We don't even know if there is a single MK to talk as a collective unit in a practical sense, much less what, if anything, they wanted to be the result of the perfect warlord spell. And how would we know whether what they may want has any point of intersection with what Erfworld "wants?"
Last edited by DevilDan on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DevilDan

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:22 pm

Zolkabro wrote:
DevilDan wrote:What isn't so clear is whether Parson is any sort of caster, much less a hippiemancer.

It is. http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F140.jpg

There is a great deal of speculation that Janis is lying in that panel, to prevent the other casters in the room from killing him outright.
Calling him a hippiemancer may be her way of saying "leave him - I'm claiming responsibility for him".
Since no one can see Parson's stats, they had no facts that could contradict her, and most casters there probably respect her too much to challenge her statements.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby moose o death » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:33 pm

DevilDan wrote:
moose o death wrote:if there is, or not, the MK have no need to flood erfworld with perfect warlords. the first one was what the MK wanted. as wanda says towards the close of the book, erfworld wanted you.

Wait, "what the MK wanted?" We don't even know if there is a single MK to talk as a collective unit in a practical sense, much less what, if anything, they wanted to be the result of the perfect warlord spell. And how would we know whether what they may want has any point of intersection with what Erfworld "wants?"

if not MK, then certainly janis is upto something. wanda is clued into it, sizemore is being used to help control parson's developement. the casters seem to be able to abandon a city and become loyal to magic itself, as wanda says she is loyal to fate. she knows she has further to go yet, but she has told parson she isn't his enemy either.

jack defended stanley despite wanting to help jillian, we have yet to find out why, but he spared stanley's ego in the fireworks display. so he has some reason to keep stan alive and happy. the predictamancer seems to have vanished from faq, yet stanley has the two other casters. had that predictamancer been taken back to GK as well stanley would never have ascended to the throne. the predictamancer would have exposed the plot for saline's throne and GK would have kept conqueering the world with dwagon armies.

so far all mancers appear to be able to move freely through the MK, to me it looks an awful like the MK is the veilled hand running erfworld. by making magic indispensable as a combat aid, they assure they have plentiful new units popped and it appears fairly trivial for casters to survive cities being destroyed. city-less casters move to MK. wanda had dozens of spells in her stash so they make their upkeep selling spells but where does wanda get the cash. only the overlord has access to the treasury

this could be rands at work instead of schmukers but that raises the question of what is a rand and how is wanda getting them, she must be selling something for rands. but what IS she selling. information? she has no problems sharing information with jillian. and has a history of betraying her sides. uncroak spells? seems unlikely to be a large amount of call for units who just die again soon after. i can see decrypt being quite popular at auction. but not uncroak.

the whole magic kingdom seems like it's upto something. especially those attached to GK in some manner. we will find out eventually. i'd like to think the constant war has gotten on their nerves and they want the conflict to end. but it's just as likely janis is pure evil and wants to rule erfworld

i put more faith in the former, but as always we don't have the resources rob has
moose o death

Postby DevilDan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:33 pm

moose o death wrote:if not MK, then certainly janis is upto something. wanda is clued into it, sizemore is being used to help control parson's developement. the casters seem to be able to abandon a city and become loyal to magic itself, as wanda says she is loyal to fate. she knows she has further to go yet, but she has told parson she isn't his enemy either.

Yes, an interesting string of suppositions. We don't know, for example, if Janis knew even an iota about the perfect warlord spell prior to Parson showing up. She doesn't strike me as the kind to get along well with Wanda, which would make for some tense moments during coffee breaks at the caster conspiracy cabal council meetings. Wanda's loyalties are a complicated subject: she lost her previous source of loyalty when she threw her lot in with Stanley and Faq fell. She speaks of Fate, which, I repeat once more, may or may not have anything to do with what Janis might want or what she might be praying for.

moose o death wrote:jack defended stanley despite wanting to help jillian, we have yet to find out why, but he spared stanley's ego in the fireworks display. so he has some reason to keep stan alive and happy. the predictamancer seems to have vanished from faq, yet stanley has the two other casters. had that predictamancer been taken back to GK as well stanley would never have ascended to the throne. the predictamancer would have exposed the plot for saline's throne and GK would have kept conqueering the world with dwagon armies.

Do we know the storyline vis a vis Faq's fall and Saline's death? Jack acted in the fireworks display to prevent a collision between archons and dwagons, if memory serves. Predictamancy is a large unknown; for all we know, that caster saved her (?) own skin when she read the tea leaves, as it were.

moose o death wrote:so far all mancers appear to be able to move freely through the MK, to me it looks an awful like the MK is the veilled hand running erfworld. by making magic indispensable as a combat aid, they assure they have plentiful new units popped and it appears fairly trivial for casters to survive cities being destroyed. city-less casters move to MK. wanda had dozens of spells in her stash so they make their upkeep selling spells but where does wanda get the cash. only the overlord has access to the treasury

We don't know a thing about MK, but somehow they're the masters of Erf? I respect your intuition, but MK sounds more like a neutral nation, an academic and cultural center that is able to defend itself mostly by being useful and by being hard to reach—and because of the sheer concentration of casters. We really see no indication that casters who are parts of sides are not subject to the same loyalties that affect all other units. Wanda's story (and Jack's) is not as simple, but there's a fair amount of sheer plotmancy involved there.

moose o death wrote:this could be rands at work instead of schmukers but that raises the question of what is a rand and how is wanda getting them, she must be selling something for rands. but what IS she selling. information? she has no problems sharing information with jillian. and has a history of betraying her sides. uncroak spells? seems unlikely to be a large amount of call for units who just die again soon after. i can see decrypt being quite popular at auction. but not uncroak.

We do have canon that scrolls can be bought with shmuckers rather than rands. But don't forget that Wanda is proficient at a variety of magics, meaning that she would have several options regarding what scrolls she could sell.

moose o death wrote:the whole magic kingdom seems like it's upto something. especially those attached to GK in some manner. we will find out eventually. i'd like to think the constant war has gotten on their nerves and they want the conflict to end. but it's just as likely janis is pure evil and wants to rule erfworld

i put more faith in the former, but as always we don't have the resources rob has

Sometimes paranoia pays off. For my money, looking at the MK would mean paying less attention to the individual motivations of GK casters, and that would well be an unwise choice.
DevilDan

Return to Everything Else Erfworld