Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby balder » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:01 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 068

Postby goodmorning » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:18 am

So Charlie found a goal other than world conquest, which is presumably what he's pursuing now. Also he survived Olive's potions at 'terrible cost.' Perhaps this is why we never see the Wizard?

Outstanding update. I love how much major backstory reveals just get dropped into this trial.

EDIT: And first! This is a good day.
Last edited by goodmorning on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
goodmorning

Postby Rizban » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:21 am

Very nice. Went pretty much where I was expecting, but there was quite a bit of interesting material nonetheless. I'm almost enjoying this more than the main comic.
Rizban

Postby Lipkin » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:31 am

Now that you mention it, Charlie is more than a little like Mr. House from Fallout: New Vegas...
Lipkin

Postby Whispri » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:09 am

On the one hand, Wanda may have just checkmated Olive. On the other, this is why I'm not convinced that Olive is going to die. They might deliver her to Charlie and if they do that... well who knows what he'd do with her?
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Sir Shadow » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:41 am

HOLY. FREAKING. YES. Either way, Wanda just dropped a bomb.

This was a great text update. Even without all the backstory being revealed, the back-and-forth of the trial itself is immensely engaging.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Postby Morni » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:05 am

I like this part:

He survived by means of Carnymancy, buying back his life at a terrible cost.

is this the 2nd time this carnymancer power mentionned so far?

1st time it was mentionned Jojo did this for Sylvia.
2nd time Charlie did it for himself.
Morni

Postby Whispri » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:30 am

Presuming the Haffaton era Charlie is the same individual as the Gobwin Knob era Charlie, that spell with a terrible price may be why he's going after Parson. After all, Sylvia was saved from one fire to die in another. And history does seem to be repeating itself in some respects, notably ones relating to the fall of Efbaum.
Whispri

Postby Vorteks » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:57 am

I'm a little confused by the implication in the text that the "Capital" and "City of Haffaton" are distant. Weren't they IN the city of Haffaton when Olive fled the garrison and FAQ took the city? I had understood that to be both the capital and the city of Haffaton. Of course, when Olive now says "in the capital", she may have meant in the NEW capital that was assigned when the old one fell. But I don't know how to reconcile Wanda's statement "were we at the city of Haffaton". Episode 66 says this trial is taking place in "a patio garden in the garrison courtyard". The garrison courtyard...of the city of Haffaton, right?
Vorteks
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Finwe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:03 am

Vorteks wrote:I'm a little confused by the implication in the text that the "Capital" and "City of Haffaton" are distant. Weren't they IN the city of Haffaton when Olive fled the garrison and FAQ took the city? I had understood that to be both the capital and the city of Haffaton. Of course, when Olive now says "in the capital", she may have meant in the NEW capital that was assigned when the old one fell. But I don't know how to reconcile Wanda's statement "were we at the city of Haffaton". Episode 66 says this trial is taking place in "a patio garden in the garrison courtyard". The garrison courtyard...of the city of Haffaton, right?

The city they are currently in is Efbaum.
Finwe

Postby effataigus » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:31 am

Well, that update went just about how people predicted.

Really getting a kick out of Charlescomm's logo in the picture.

This also may weigh in as one of the most important updates when all is said and done. If the story of Parson breaking Erfworld is the story of Parson breaking the Titanic Mandate for perpetual war, then this may have been the update where we found out that the Arkentools are the means by which the titans are ensuring their will be done.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby hehehe426 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:34 am

I'm guessing that what Jack's doing there is projecting a Thinkamancy call... because at first I was confused about that XD
hehehe426
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Zeku » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:00 am

This is the second Flower Power caster that wants to unite the world through conquest. They are not nice people, but that is perfectly consistent with how I envision them. They want peace, not "goodness."

Notice that the overall narrative is vaguely following the internet-birthed concept of Dorothy and the White witch being the aggressors in the original Wizard of Oz, with the witch of the west being an unwitting victim. Of course, in this story, the "victim" is the Wizard himself, and there is no wicked witch. Perhaps she was one of their early conquests.

Charlie's testimony would certainly be an interesting read, but it's hardly "evidence," and thus doesn't advance the case in a meaningful way. I think we (the readers) understand that both father and daughter are guilty of something, the only question being what that is.
Zeku

Postby Roadkill Coyote » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:19 pm

So, basically, Charlie is not from our world, but the Dish lets him watch it, and his daughter tried to off him for being a couch potato?
Roadkill Coyote

Postby bladestorm » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:45 pm

I doubt asking Charlie to provide any information about himself is going to get this court anywhere. They are basically trying to force Charlie to reveal personal information about himself, abide by the rules of a court held by the second Side to overtake his original city, and do it all for free just to prove Olive guilty? Neither Faq nor Haffaton combined is going to be able to cover that bill.

On a side note, the Archons came from a far off place. Charlie moved to a far off place to get away from Haffaton's expansion. Maybe the Dish doesn't produce Archons the way the Pliers produce Decrypted, but rather tames them the way the Hammer does Dwagons...
bladestorm

Postby Whispri » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:02 pm

bladestorm wrote:I doubt asking Charlie to provide any information about himself is going to get this court anywhere. They are basically trying to force Charlie to reveal personal information about himself, abide by the rules of a court held by the second Side to overtake his original city, and do it all for free just to prove Olive guilty? Neither Faq nor Haffaton combined is going to be able to cover that bill.

On a side note, the Archons came from a far off place. Charlie moved to a far off place to get away from Haffaton's expansion. Maybe the Dish doesn't produce Archons the way the Pliers produce Decrypted, but rather tames them the way the Hammer does Dwagons...

He could get them to swear an oath, under contract, not to spread the information they already have. I have been wondering why Wanda and Jack haven't bothered to tell Parson that Charlie's a Carniemancer. This could be the reason why. The chance to sweep all that under the rug could be quite the incentive...

Zeku wrote:This is the second Flower Power caster that wants to unite the world through conquest. They are not nice people, but that is perfectly consistent with how I envision them. They want peace, not "goodness."

Notice that the overall narrative is vaguely following the internet-birthed concept of Dorothy and the White witch being the aggressors in the original Wizard of Oz, with the witch of the west being an unwitting victim. Of course, in this story, the "victim" is the Wizard himself, and there is no wicked witch. Perhaps she was one of their early conquests.

Charlie's testimony would certainly be an interesting read, but it's hardly "evidence," and thus doesn't advance the case in a meaningful way. I think we (the readers) understand that both father and daughter are guilty of something, the only question being what that is.

The uh, 'wicked witches' were Bell and Blair of the Dominions of Easteross and Westeregg. Wanda spoke of their destruction earlier in the trial.
Whispri

Postby Ansan Gotti » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:06 pm

Zeku wrote:Charlie's testimony would certainly be an interesting read, but it's hardly "evidence," and thus doesn't advance the case in a meaningful way. I think we (the readers) understand that both father and daughter are guilty of something, the only question being what that is.

Actually, it's absolutely evidence... it's direct (non-hearsay) testimony, which is often considered to be extremely powerful evidence in a court of law.

I am wondering if the "terrible price" that Charlie used to save his own life was to effectively merge himself with the Arkendish? This would mesh with some early theories posited about Charlie during Book One, and we now know that he did have a very strong attunement over a period of time, and this might also explain why he's never seen any more. In the Wizard of Oz, the Wizard was thought to be like a disembodied voice which was amplified by machinery, so the thematic elements would be similar.

Anyway, just a thought!
Ansan Gotti

Postby bladestorm » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:30 pm

Ansan Gotti wrote:
Zeku wrote:Charlie's testimony would certainly be an interesting read, but it's hardly "evidence," and thus doesn't advance the case in a meaningful way. I think we (the readers) understand that both father and daughter are guilty of something, the only question being what that is.

Actually, it's absolutely evidence... it's direct (non-hearsay) testimony, which is often considered to be extremely powerful evidence in a court of law.

I am wondering if the "terrible price" that Charlie used to save his own life was to effectively merge himself with the Arkendish? This would mesh with some early theories posited about Charlie during Book One, and we now know that he did have a very strong attunement over a period of time, and this might also explain why he's never seen any more. In the Wizard of Oz, the Wizard was thought to be like a disembodied voice which was amplified by machinery, so the thematic elements would be similar.

Anyway, just a thought!

This is not evidence.

Charlie is a Carnimancer, who bends the rules to get his own desired outcome. If he lies to the court, they cannot hold him accountable. No one from Faq or Haffaton has the power to force Charlie to do anything. They also cannot verify his testimony anymore than they can verify Olive's non-hearsay testimony.

Wanda's trying really hard, but getting nowhere.

The only thing Charlie needs to do to completely bury the information about his past is to survive. The mechanics of Erfworld make is so that there is no passing down of information. Units are popped with the information they need to know; they don't have to be taught anything. The number of people who have any personal knowledge of Charlie is dwindling. Who's left from this court? Jillian, Wanda, Jack...nope, Loj... wait no again, umm.... So just Wanda and Jillian, both of which have been set up into positions where they can be eliminated. In fact, he could send Jillian after the Hammer. Wiping out the final two people who know anything about him would net him Arkentools. That's a win-win situation, especially if they wipe each other out.
bladestorm

Postby splintermute » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:41 pm

bladestorm wrote:This is not evidence.

Charlie is a Carnimancer, who bends the rules to get his own desired outcome. If he lies to the court, they cannot hold him accountable. No one from Faq or Haffaton has the power to force Charlie to do anything. They also cannot verify his testimony anymore than they can verify Olive's non-hearsay testimony.

Direct eyewitness non-hearsay testimony is part of the very definition of evidence. You can't "verify" his evidence that same way you can't "verify" the evidence of any witness at trial. It's up to the jury to hear it and decide how trustworthy it is and how much weight to place on it. Of course, sometimes that doesn't turn out too well.

There may even be a way of verifying his testimony that real world attorneys lack - Erfians seem to be able to enter into contracts that can forcibly compel them to perform certain actions, although I don't think anyone could afford a contract requiring Charlie to tell "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth."
splintermute

Postby MuthSera » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:52 pm

oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god :?
oh god how did this get here
I am not good with computer
MuthSera

Next

Return to Reactions