|Natural Magic, Caster, Caster link, Juice, Scroll, Magic Item, Spell, Grandiocosmic Strings, Nodes|
A Caster link is made when two or three Casters are joined physically (via holding hands or by a chain, for instance) and mentally through a Thinkamancer in order to create a whole greater than the sum of its parts. The linked Casters can perform Spells far more powerful and complex than any single Caster could consider possible. Casters united in this way are said to be linked.
A Thinkamancer joins with one or two other Casters to create a combined consciousness. The process of creating the link can be aided by each Caster recalling how it felt when it first cast a Spell of its Discipline, which is described as warm, comforting, and familiar.Erf-b1-p135 The casters then lose their individuality and revert to representing only their Discipline. It is still possible for a Caster to remember its former existenceErf-b1-p046, but using this knowledge strains and might break the link.Erf-b1-p054 The link is fragile, and can be broken by merely calling one of the Casters by its name, so the linked Casters are referred to by their Disciplines instead (ie. Thinkamancer, Dirtamancer, Lookamancer, etc.).
Breaking the link can result in damage to the minds of the Casters, but this is similar to the backlash of other Thinkamancy Spells, so a good Thinkamancer can protect herself (or himself) from the damage by forcing the other Casters to bear the brunt.Erf-b1-p084. Such backlash can lead to severe trauma, including temporary catatonia, insanity, or death. Erf-b1-p077
- Uncroak volcanoesErf-b1-p135 and control the direction of the blastErf-b1-p142
- Enhanced perception of terrain (leading to gem finding)Erf-b1-p142
- Upgrading a City with better results than by a Dirtamancer alone.
- Possible third caster. Bowie? He's a Changemancer and they did change whose turn it is. Also, he's in the magic kingdom where he may have told Janis of the planned link up. This link may have been what Janis meant by "other things" when she said "And this battle will be a turning point. I have some Predictamancy on it, among other things. There will be disarray."
- Appears to be the first ranged link-up - i.e. it doesn't require physical contact between casters - most likely due to the power of the Arkendish.
- Possibly forcing a side to end their turn early.
- Created the Laurel of Napster.
To discuss the power of speculative link-ups, please visit Speculative Link-ups.
Some sides combine Mathamancy and LuckamancyErf-b1-p054. Sizemore explicitly compares the power of the combination to that of the Eyemancer link-up, which inspires some people to believe this a link-up with a Thinkamancer.
Sizemore specifically states "You pair your Mathamancers with some Luckamancers." Both the term pair and the plurals of Mathamancers and Luckamancers (since a 4 caster link is impossible) suggest against a trimancer link.
- Targeted Luck: The Mathamancer determines the most important battles and the Luckamancer tilts them in his side's favour.